Start by marking “His Consort” as Want to Read:
His Consort

His Consort

A new life in New Orleans is all Jason Thorpe had hoped: his quaint little store attracts a devoted staff and his warm, loving heart grants him a loyal circle of friends. He's perfectly content, having left behind the chill of a confusing and danger-filled night in Washington, until he discovers something unbelievable lurking in the steamy darkness of the shadowy streets o ...more
Published November 20th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Lord, did I hate this book. I was tempted to DNF multiple times and started skimming halfway through.

The MCs don't meet until 40 percent. The first half is pure filler, specifically info dumping via monologue and long conversations. The second half is all violence, vampires, and political intrigue.

This story is an incomprehensible, meandering mess. Relationship development and romance play second fiddle to the saga of the vampyrs.

To be fair, I've never been a Calmes fan. Has this author ever w
Wendy
3,5ghgh

I am a hardcore Mary Calmes fan. Jory is one of my all-time favorite characters and her 'Matter of Time" series is my comfort food ;) You know what I am also a big fan of ?? Vampires !! So I figured this one would be right up my alley.

Well.... turns out I was mostly right. I enjoyed reading this one, but I also have some niggles...

Let me start with the things I liked ;) Vampyrs!!! I liked the world she created and how she showed us. I love how she does PNR. As some others have said, it does kind
Susan
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, gbr, hurt-comfort, arc
I’m a huuuuge Mary fan, but it seems her latest books are a bit of a miss for me. There were parts in this that made me all, oh yeaaaaaah, now we’re talking! And then suddenly I got bombarded with all kind of details about the vampyr world and I was all ooooooh noooo, not this again.

I also felt that the relationship between Jason and Varic was pretty underdeveloped. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Mary’s crazy kind of insta-love, but I also need to see more of the couple together to really feel t
Line
Uhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.... I have NO clue how to rate this. On the one hand it was kind of fun (especially in the beginning) on the other.... I would have preferred Tiago and Hadrian's story (also I can't figure out if the name -Hadrian- was ON PURPOSE and hinting at history or if it was a lucky happenstance!?)

But, as I said, I liked the beginning. I liked Jason and his 'take-charge'-attitude, I liked his inquisitiveness and I liked his 'good-ness'!

But THEN things took a turn for the weird and it was..
~Volha~
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
** 3.5 stars **

This was a tough one to rate. I liked parts of it, and despite many people hating the first part of the book I actually loved it the most. After couple of chapters I noticed that Jason had an uncanny resemblance to Jory Harcourt. It didn't bother me since I liked A Matter of Time series. I actually enjoyed reading about Jason and his friends, all the little things that he made possible to happen.

When Jason and Varic meet which is at about 40% of the book, it kind of takes a littl
Cadiva
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

I love me some paranormal with a twist and that's what I got in His Consort.

On the face of it, it looks like just another vampire story but there's lots of humour and an interesting back story and a slow drawn out narrative which brings the two MCs together like opposing magnets - everything is leading up to the moment when they meet.

The plot's a bit all over the place I will admit to that, once Jason hit New Orleans I wasn't sure which sphere of the paranormal we were heading into and I am
BWT (Belen)
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this and feel like it was a solid start to (hopefully) a new series.

Mary Calmes does a great job with building this new world of "Vampyrs" (though it took me some time to stop hearing Ze Frank's voice in my head every time I saw the word Vampyr pronounced, apparently, as vam-pier).

His Consort is told from the single, first person, POV of ex-special forces soldier Jason, has quite a bit of action, some humor, and ends like it's laying a lot of the groundwork for this to become a serie
Renée
Mary Calmes does vampires! Or, well, she does vampyrs.

Indicative from the slight change of the word, Calmes weaves a tale of vampyrs, living amongst the world of humans that is just a bit different from other vampire stories.

I enjoyed the similarities and differences, alike, such as vampyrs being born and not turned. Their governance structure and the wars between socio-economic classes were interesting too.

In typical Calmes fashion, she gives background through the main MC jumping from one thou
Kathleen

It was like reading the Change of Heart series, which I seriously disliked, only set in the world of vampires. Or rather :::rolls eyes::: vampyrs. Jason = Jin, Varic = Logan. I nearly DNFd several times.
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
★★★ — 3.5 Stars!

This was a fun little novel that I liked quite a lot. This book is about a man named Jason who falls in love with a vampire prince named Varic while people are out to kill him and others that he cares for. It was a paranormal romance that kept me interesting and turning the pages.

But this novel wasn’t perfect by any means. Even though there was quite a few things I liked. They were things I didn’t like as well.

CHARACTERS:

1.) Jason — He kind of had an ego and thought he was a b
Santy
1.5 Stars

I wish I could give this book a higher rating but I cannot in good conscience do so.

The writing was good and the secondary characters were a sort of consolation but the story itself was honestly all over the place.

There were things I liked and others not so much but with a 1.5-Star rating, let's just say the "Cons" vastly outweighed the "Pros".

Pros
-I liked the world building though it got a bit "info dumpy" at a point

-The banter between the characters was good which leads me to my
Eugenia
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
What did I just read??

Info dump? Check.
Never ending internal monologues? Check.
Repetitive dialogue? Check.
Superfluous characters? Check.
Unexplained basics of vampyrs? Check.
Way too much detailed explanations on “things”? Check.
Too much conversation during sex? Check.
Hard to believe behavior? Check.
Clueless vampyrs? Check.
Gushing, loving, declarations? Check check check.

This was my yearly foray into the land of Calmes. This was more disappointing than previous unsuccessful ventures—and
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, lgbtq
Ok, let’s do this first review of the year. I don’t even know where last year went but here we are. Funny, Mary’s my favorite so I thought starting with her was the best way to kick off 2019, then I realized I kicked off 2018 in the same exact way. Now this has to be a thing, yeah? Yeah. Somebody remind me, 2020 is a year away, haha!

So, Mary doing Vamps just did it for me. And this is not because I actually have a Spark and Ember candle that she gave to me…

Really.

So, this book. I couldn’t put it
⚣Michaelle⚣
Barely 3 Stars

The info-dumps were just tedious, and while the premise of the story was interesting I wasn't all that engaged until it was almost over. Jason was too perfect and of course everyone loved him (other than the bad guys) and as a character he seemed to me just a re-imagination of JORY. I also wanted more on Varic (who doesn't even make an appearance until well into the book), especially with him and Jason together as there was very little relationship development.

That said, if there i
BWT (Belen)

His Consort is the story of how ex-special forces soldier Jason Thorpe stumbles upon the secret world of Vampyrs and learns some secrets which will change the course of his life and entwine it inexorably with the vampyrs forever.

Fans of Calmes Change of Heart series will find similar world-building and premise, including the main characters not actually meeting until almost halfway through.

Jason's the every-man character dealing with the ins-and-outs of a world that he thought was only made up
Karen
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Mary Calmes's vampyres on audio...of course I had to hear this...

If you follow my reviews and thank you for doing that by the way, than you also know I've read this book. I'm kind of getting addicted to doing that...reading a story and then listening to the audio...I've discovered it's something that I really enjoy doing. Although it's not often that I want to re-read a book I love listening to audio books...some of them over and over and over again. It's just a thing that I enjoy doing.
Karen
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars rounded down because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and while this wasn't quite a 5 stars read it was a hella' good, fun 4+ star read.

These vampires are pretty freakin' epic...

First off let me just say 'I make no apologies. I love Mary Calmes' I have a small group of authors that I'll just read whatever they write and the reasons may vary but mostly it's the entertainment factor and just the fact that for whatever reason I can easily escape into the story and enjoy it without a lot of
Steph ☀️
***3.5 stars***

I must be the odd duck out here. See, I loved the book. All the world building, and there was an actual story that was captivating. So much so, it didn’t bother me that the two MCs didn’t meet until much later. Did I wish there was a bit more explanation on why it took Varic quite some time to come to New Orleans, YES. However I was distracted by everything else that it really didn’t occur to me until the very end.

What did bother me was in fact the END 😒. Literally I was reading
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Jason Thorpe, former military, opens a quaint little shop in a home he inherited when one of his former buddies was killed in action. He meets a gregarious and beautiful woman named Ode, who becomes his best friend and business partner and settles down. Little does he know, however, that New Orleans is heavily populated by a vampyr population—some born and some made (result of a vampyr and human mating). Oddly, when he’s around, the two groups don’t feud, but it isn’t until later in the story th ...more
Qin
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
No, no, no and no! I refuse to believe that this cesspool of badly copy-edited, barely correct writing, utterly rushed plot, gosshammer-thin characters, and monstrously silly vampire sexploitation came from the pen of the talented Mrs Calmes. I persevered throughout the book because I entertainted the hope that things would get better, alas it has to be conceded that she lost her literary mojo. Where to begin with the critical comments? Nothing feels cohesive between these covers, as witnessed m ...more
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
Let me start by saying that I’m a true Mary Calmes fangirl. If she writes it, I’m going to read it. That being said, her books don’t always work for me. This book falls somewhere in between. There are things about this book that I liked (Jason before he met Varic, and Jason’s OTT Jory-esc friendships). There are also things that I didn’t like (soooo many unpronounceable, made up words that it almost lost me from the beginning). There was a lot of world building. I have no idea if this will be a ...more
Raj
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
This could the most bland book of 2018 that I have read.
Joyfully Jay
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I read a lot of paranormal so I am always looking for books that bring a fresh take on common supernatural elements. In the case of His Consort, I really enjoyed Mary Calmes’ world building and the way she takes some traditional lore and twists it around to create her take on vampires. I found the politics and the history and the general world building to be really engaging here. It builds to an exciting climax as danger threatens and the paranormal elements really
Nyx93
Nov 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
What did I just read?! Mary's every new book is more horrible than the previous one.

It was so painful and I wanted to stop reading, but you know what they say hope die last.. I am definitely getting a divorce from Mary Calmes's books, it's not me it's you kinda situation ..
llv
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, vampire
Rating: 4 stars
Let me start off by saying that this book was not perfect by any means. It definitely had a pretty big info dump during the first half of the book. The author has a habit in her stories of having the MC make individuals spell out any new or unusual terms. Drives me a bit crazy if I’m honest. There was also the issue of the fact that the MCs didn’t meet until about 40% in. That didn’t bother me at all. Neither did the insta-love that soon followed. When it comes to paranormal stori
Teetee
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: para-mm-vamps
Bleh. You KNOW its bad when you have to *force* yourself to finish an MC book. Saved this as a treat for myself to read over the Christmas holiday once I survived the madness but unfortunetly it felt more like a chore to read it and I kept flipping over to look at TikTok instead (so addictive).

Everyone knows that MC sticks to a formula and much like Kim Dare or Josh Lanyon those formulas work for the most part but sometimes get to be a bit much. In this instance those clichés worked against the
Fatimama
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise but the execution was so bland. This should have been good what with a vampire prince in the lead. However, the romance was just so meh.
Eleeze
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

As always, Mary keeps me there, and I'm sure (hope) this is the beginning of a series, there's just too much potential and this world feels so big; I can't wait to go to Malta and all the court intrigue. Plus Jason is so sweet and his heart is so big, I'm sure he's going to hit some hard walls going forward.
I'm excited!
Chris
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable easy read ... not sure what I was looking for but I think it might make a good series ... unpack other main characters and go deeper with the Prince & his consort 😊
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come closer to the date of release
20th of November
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• An American Lamb in Europe
  • Crimson Mate (Of Blood and Spirit #1)
  • Treasure for Treasure (Beings in Love, #7)
  • Out of the Ashes (Asheville Arcana #1)
  • A Counselor Among Wolves (Leader Murders, #2)
  • To Hate and To Hold  (Anaboris Clan, #1)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
  • The Wulf Chronicles (WulfChron, #1)
  • Betrothed: A Faery Tale
  • Fangs and Catnip (Dead and Breakfast, #1)
  • Witchbane (Witchbane #1)
  • Vampire Wanted (Nick's Tale #1)
  • Vampire Prince (Paranormal Nobles, #1)
  • An Unnatural Worth
  • Liquid Crimson (Neo's Realm, #1)
  • In Enemy Hands
  • Soul Magic (Triad #3)
  • Sūnder  (Darksoul, #1)
Mary Calmes believes in romance, happily ever afters, and the faith it takes for her characters to get there. She bleeds coffee, thinks chocolate should be its own food group, and currently lives in Kentucky with a five-pound furry ninja that protects her from baby birds, spiders and the neighbor’s dogs. To stay up to date on her ponderings and pandemonium (as well as the adventures of the ninja) ...more