Start by marking “Heavenward (Celestial Creatures, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heavenward (Celestial Creatures, #1)

Heavenward

(Celestial Creatures #1)

With the power to end the world, would you protect humanity when it broke you or would you take revenge?

Meet Ariel: a quiet, unnoticeable girl with an incredible gift…

Ariel never had an easy or pleasant life, but the arrival of three gorgeous strangers meant her measured life is turned upside down, as she discovers that angels exist.
Now against her will, she’s drawn into a
Published September 13th 2018 by Raging Bear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heavenward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heavenward

Jordanne
I received a physical review copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

🌟🌟🌟

Overall I really enjoyed this book - it's choc-ful of potential to be something big, it just needs a teeny bit of a tweak.

I love anything to the backdrop of angels and a new perspective of celestial lore and stories so this was right up my street. It's not like Clare's Shadowhunters though, do not be fooled. Where her characters are descended from Angels, these are angels. It's a little like Twili
Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
pooled ink Reviews:

If you're on the hunt for an intriguing celestial read that will have you constantly guessing and featuring a spiky protagonist against a backdrop of ancient battles and beautiful faces, then Heavenward just might belong on your list. The first book of the series and it takes no prisoners as it leaves you breathless with each twist and turn.

However, while I feel this book had an undeniable something that drew me in, I do think that it requires some more work. To be honest so
Bree Howland
Q&A

Physical or Ebook?
EBook from Kindle Unlimited

Have you ever read a book by this author before?
This is the authors debut novel.

Genre?
Paranormal romance/Fantasy

Star Rating?
4 Stars

Rereadable?
I could actually see myself rereading this. Especially to refresh my memory for the other books in the series

If it’s a series, would you continue reading it?
Yes. I will definitely be continuing this series.

Is this a part of a challenge?

Who would you recommend this for?
I would recommend this to fans of
K.S. Marsden
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ariel hasn't had the easiest life, but she keeps her head down, hoping to stay unnoticed at school, until she can leave. She realises that she's missing a much bigger picture when angels start to fight over her.

I downloaded this for free, in the run up to the release of the second book, Hallow.

Ariel's life is far from perfect. She hears voices, and she's afraid that people are going to figure out she's crazy. She's also stuck in the social system, after she was taken away from her abusive step-f
Mar
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a fresh, agile dark fantasy tale, I enjoyed it so much because first, it's not my usual read, and second, because the author plays with the characters in a way it’s very easy to read, very pleasurable. The protagonist is a broken soul, which allows Gibbs to build many different layers and shades in her personality, reactions and inner thoughts.
Without falling on cliches, the author knows what the reader wants, and implements those traditional factors we all need in a world of fanta
M.L.
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t know why this book was set in England. The phrases and colloquialisms were off, and I felt that little research had gone into life in the UK. When reading I felt like the book was set in the US in everything but name.

Ariel (MC) made little personal progression throughout. Naturally, every other woman or girl in this story old enough to be a ‘rival’ for Ariel’s love interests was a massive ‘bitch’ and (obviously) evil. I was left wondering what Rafe’s role or relationship to Ariel was by
Alissa Haley
I'd like to thank Olga Gibbs for providing me with a digital ARC!
Review to come!
Esmée
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
''You've managed to unlock the door to the library - now it's time to learn how to read.''

★★★★✩

This review is part of the Heavenward blog tour organised by Melanie @ Fraser's Fun House and the author of this book, Olga Gibbs.

I want to start with how amazing the synopsis already is (you can read it below). There aren't many fantasy books out there that focus on celestial beings and I am glad there is a whole series in the making. I am not religious, but I find celestial lore very interesting (Th
Toya
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was immediately drawn to Heavenward by the synopsis alone. I am by no means religious, but I love reading stories about celestial beings…especially when said beings are on the brink of war.

Ariel is a refreshing heroine that is much needed in YA fantasy. She’s not average teenage girl that comes from this amazing family and discovers she has supernatural powers and magically wants to save the entire world in an afternoon. Instead, Ariel just wants to go unnoticed and survive. Ariel has a haunti
Emma Canning (Emma's Chapter)
It's time for us to recognise where the dreams stop and reality begins

I seriously need to stop being so judgy when it comes to certain areas of fantasy.

Heavenward follows Ariel, a girl who has suffered through a life-time of pain in a short period of time. Neglect, abuse, domestic violence and a recurring nightmare have plagued her causing her to question her sanity and strength. However, Ariel is soon drawn into an ancient conflict that she wants no part of, but if she doesn't act humanity
Emimm
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fraser's Fun House
Heavenward is the first book in Olga Gibb’s Young Adult Celestial Creatures series. In this book we meet Ariel, a seemingly normal school girl with a secret past filled with neglect and abuse. Just trying to make it through each day Ariel’s life is thrown into turmoil by the unusual arrival of three new students at her school. She soon realises that these are no normal students and after a dramatic classroom incident awakens to find she has been whisked away from the life that she knows, strande ...more
Deekay
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I want to thank the author of this book for providing me with a digital copy of this book for review purposes*

First of all, I want to say, it was an excellent storytelling. Mythological creatures, powers, and world, I’M SOLD!!!

Holy, that was great...I’m speechless by how amazing the story is.

So, Ariel had a dream at night that include angels. So she found out she’s an angel too through Sam. So Sam is this ‘prince charming’ who is an angel too. As much as I like him, he totally canceled after Ar
Kristina (Books-and-dachshunds)
See full review on my blog

** Thank you so much to the author to providing me with a copy of her book for review purposes. This has not influenced my review in any way, shape or form. **

I’m not usually a fan of fantasy nor series, and yeah it does demand me more effort as my imagination is lacking and it’s written in my second language to top it off, but I just loved this !!

As it’s obviously more of a dificult read for me, I’ve been reading strictly at night. That way, I can concentrate to the be
Olga Gibbs
Feb 23, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
That’s my story and it’s not a comfortable one.
It happened to me when I was 13.
I will never be the same.
(“It’s important for everyone to understand that victims of traumatic events, such as human trafficking, will not always react or behave in the way that we might expect.” Trauma-informed care.)
I live in a care home now.
My life is horror. By showing you the gore, I want you to see what my life is really like for me, every day, even among you.
Americanisms you say? You never had dealings with g
Charis Constantine
This is not really my genre of reading, but I was attracted to it through Olga's advertising and offers on twitter.
Book covers are a bugger to get right at times, while I like the thinking out of the box of the cover of this book, I feel it needs a change to attract readers.
There were a few problems with the story line, but I did enjoy the read myself and the twists and turns. The descriptions were well written and Ariel is indeed a complex character.
I found Heavenward a great read and will cont
Elena Folsom
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading "Heavenward"and found it very ineteresting .The first page caught my attention immediately, after that I was hooked. I really only put it down when I literally fell asleep with the book in my hand.
Can't wait for the second book to come out. I will definitely order it from amazon once it's available
Zoé-lee O'farrell
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The beautiful book cover is what caught my eye first, the main character called Ariel…well, I am in!

So angels are real! Yes, I said it! They walk around our world but we can not see their wings! Awesome right! Well….not so much if you are Ariel and you have an all-powerful essence hidden away within you!

I loved getting to know Ariel, she is the “nerdy” kid, the one from a broken home, the one who does not want to socialise. However, three new kids come to her school, all of them make a beeline f
Llamacorn
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. It kept me gripping on to my seat, and I was honestly struggling to put it down.
This book is a YA fantasy-romance kinda book, and I'm obsessed. Usually I read horror books, the scarier the better, like the Gone series and Frozen Charlotte, but I decided to pick this one up as a change. Wow. This book had a warning at the beginning about some disturbing scenes, but I thought they were amazingly descriptive and detailed, it felt like I was always in the book. After I fin
Stephanie Augustine
Overall, Heavenward by Olga Gibbs was a successful debut novel. She created such an interesting and colorful world. While some scenes did seem a little long, overall the story and pacing were coherent. Gibbs created a strong and fierce main character with a traumatizing backstory. I am excited to see how her story will continue in book 2. I have a feeling I will also grow to like Ariel more in the future. I recommend this book for those who enjoy paranormal stories where every choice matters.
Georgia Whats in my Wonderland?
Heavenward follows the story of a girl named Ariel, she lives a somewhat normal life which can be seen as quite miserable. She keeps herself to herself and she likes it that way. Ariel is burdened by her past and is struggling to keep her nightmares at bay.

What should have been an ordinary life for her gets turned completely upside down when three new students appear at school. Since their arrival, things had started to change. Ariel finds out that Angel’s exist. In her ordinary world, Angels ar
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Synopisis
Meet Ariel: a quiet, unnoticeable girl with an incredible gift…

Ariel is a trouble teen, plagued by nightmares and living in a facility for troubled girls. Unusually, three new beautiful pupils appear in school, each making Ariel wary for reasons unknown.  After an attempt on her life by one and being rescued by another, she begins to discover who she really is and that not everyone is who they may seem.

Unwillingly drawn into a new world filled with celestrial conflict, it's time for Ar
Karley  (Bookish Fawn)
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
bookish fawn reviews

I was immediately captivated by the whole celestial aspect of the story. You see witches and vampires in YA fantasy much more than you see angels, and since I’m a massive SPN fan, the angelic side of this book had me hooked.
The book was a fairly quick and easy read while doing a good job at maintaining the element of surprise. The overall pacing went well with the length of book – the beginning of it had a slower pace but picked up later on and the story just blossomed into a
Rebecca McPeake
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My final rating that I decided on for Heavenward was 3.5/5 stars and this was because I really enjoyed the story and the plot in general. I found that I was gripped by the storyline and that I always wanted to keep turning the pages when I was reading. Olga Gibbs created a world that I have never read anything similar to, and I am so glad that I read this book because I would never have thought before to pick up anything like this.
Tinka| LittleTinkablee
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heavenward takes us on Ariel's journey as her lonely yet somewhat mundane life gets flipped upside down all because of three new mysterious students that start to attend her high school. Things start to become more complicated than Ariel ever could have dreamt... or have a nightmare about. When right is no longer right, wrong is no longer wrong and she no longer knows who to trust, she learns that some of those things her crazy mother believed in were real after all, among other things...and she ...more
Lourdes
**The author has reached out and had requested me to do a honest book review. Thank you very much Ms. Gibbs for providing me an electronic copy! This is a non-spoiler review.**

Do believe in angels and demons? How will you react if one of your friends is an angel sent to save you? This is a story of a girl named Ariel, who has been through a lot. She does not want attention and rarely have friends. Not until three new students arrived and since then, they had turn her world upside down.

I have alw
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
First off I really enjoyed this book. I thought the pacing was great and that the ideas were fun! Gibbs really knows how to capture her target audience and I swear, 15 years old me would be eating this book up in an hour and demanding more, and thankfully there is more! I received a digital copy for this as I'm doing the blog tour for the second book Hallow, and I'm so glad I got a chance to read this and that I have the next book ready because that's quite the ending! The book has you holding y ...more
Rebecca Hefner
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic YA novel by a new-to-me author. I thought her writing was phenomenal. It drew me into the story from the first page and I felt like I was another character in the book, watching everything progress. Ariel, our main character, deals with so many struggles as she matures and evolves. It's intriguing to watch her learn of her essence. Sam and Rafe, both helpful yet mysterious in their own ways, attempt to help her on the journey but are they who they seem? As Ariel navigates her ...more
Steph
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
After having the worst start to life. Ariel suddenly has to navigate the complex world of Angel's, Demons and much more, all while there is a war going on around her. Ariel has to learn the hard way who to trust and who she cant trust. Even when all they want to do is protect her.

The book keeps you on your toes the whole way through. The world just comes to life in your mind, with everything described so Beautifully.
Gina Rae Mitchell
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Heavenward: Dark Fantasy on Celestial Lore is the perfect book for lovers of dark fantasy, angels, demons, and epic adventures.
The author’s world building skills are superb. As I read, I felt the heat of the scorched wastelands, I shivered with cold, I felt the wretchedness of Ariel as she dealt with the different species. My heart ached for Ariel as her past was revealed and her future seemed so bleak. And yet through it all, there is always a glimmer of hope.

The characters are well-developed.
New Adult Book Club: January RI&RI with Giveaway HEAVENWARD by Olga Gibbs 15 58 Feb 01, 2019 05:29AM
Olga Gibbs lives in a leafy-green town, nestled amongst the green fields of West Sussex, England. She lives with her husband, their two daughters.
She was writing from the age of fifteen, mainly short stories and novellas and was a guest colunmist for a local newspaper. When she is not dreaming up new adventures for her imaginary friends, she does outreach work with teenagers.
She is currently writi

Celestial Creatures (2 books)
  • Hallow (Celestial Creatures #2)
“You've managed to unlock the door to the library - now it's time to learn how to read.” 2 likes
“Strong voice doesn't have to be the loudest.” 1 likes