Start by marking “Lock Every Door” as Want to Read:
Lock Every Door

Lock Every Door

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  107,029 ratings  ·  14,362 reviews
No visitors. No nights spent away from the apartment. No disturbing the other residents, all of whom are rich or famous or both. These are the only rules for Jules Larsen's new job as an apartment sitter at the Bartholomew, one of Manhattan's most high-profile and mysterious buildings. Recently heartbroken and just plain broke, Jules is taken in by the splendor of her surr ...more
Published July 2nd 2019 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about Lock Every Door, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Teri Meyer I am a nurse and yes there is an entire team and also they needed to find compatible donors. You don't just find any old person off the street and con…moreI am a nurse and yes there is an entire team and also they needed to find compatible donors. You don't just find any old person off the street and conduct an organ transplant! Even though I loved this book it was very well written and the plot and twists were very well done! I tried to get past the last part! He should have done a little better research into that before writing! (Just my opinion!)(less)

·  107,029 ratings  ·  14,362 reviews

Start your review of Lock Every Door
megs_bookrack
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
Just like that, RILEY SAGER HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!

Lock Every Door follows New Yorker, Jules, who after losing her job and live-in boyfriend all in one day, needs a reboot.

Forced to crash on her best friend's couch until she can find a place of her own, Jules is beyond desperate to improve her situation.

Determined to get back on her feet, no matter what, Jules discovers an opportunity in a very traditional place, the Classifieds section of her local newspaper.

The post reads, Apartment Sitter Wa
Meredith
Jul 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: overdrive
Are you f*cking kidding me?!

Unpopular opinion below! I originally wrote a long and detailed review discussing all of my issues with this book. However, I don't want to ruin the experience for other readers who might enjoy this book, so I have cut it down to the main points below.

The Good: High level of tension and suspense.

The Bad: Everything else!

Overall: One big convoluted mess.

Believability: Nothing is believable. NOTHING.
The Protagonist: To put it kindly, she is not the brightest bulb.
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dutton
JULY 2019 BOTM SELECTION

"It certainly doesn't feel cursed. Or haunted. Or any other menacing label you could put on an apartment building. It's comfortable, spacious and, other than the wallpaper, nicely decorated. It's easy to see why Nick and Greta choose to live here. I would certainly stay longer than three months if I could afford to. Which makes it all the stranger that Ingrid chose to leave."

Muahahahaha. Mr. "Sager" has done it again folks. I'm always wary picking up the forecasted blockb
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Moral of the story: (view spoiler)

Look at me reading all three books from this author within a month...

At the beginning I thought this was going to be my favorite book out of the three but the ending twist made it my least favorite.

An apartment sitting job with a very generous salary seems to good to be true for our main character. Mysterious residents, creepy wallpaper and disappearances...

Personally I felt like the way the main character was piecing things togeth
noelle
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
SO FUN AND SPOOKY !!
 Teodora
4.45/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

I would like to thank NetGalley and Ebury Press (Fiction) for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review!

***

me: *has the constant anxiety of unlocked doors*

this book: "Lock Every Door"

me: :') that's my type of book :')

***

My first experience with Riley Sager’s books and I’m already a fan. As I’ve already said, I have the weird Romanian fear of unlocked doors. Simply every single door that has direct conta
Cindy
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I was engaged while listening to this book; it's an easy and simple read that helps as a palate cleanser in-between more dense stories. I found this thriller to be too slow for my tastes though, and since I was able to predict several things that were revealed, the slow burn ended up not having much payoff for me. There's potential for a deeper exploration of classism and financial inequality, but it's very on-the-nose to the point where the antagonists become cartoonish. ...more
j e w e l s
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FIVE STARS IT'S HERE IT'S HERE!!!!
game-of-thrones-font You know what that means, don’t you?

Writer Riley Sager OWNS July. For the third year in a row, Sager is set to drop another stunning thriller in July. As a die-hard Sager fan, I’m here to tell you it may just be his best yet! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU. IN JULY.🎄

I don’t know how Riley Sager does it. Every book is better than his last! Lock Every Door is buttoned up tight and in ship shape, spic-n-span order for your thrilling pleasure!

As in Final Girls and The L
chan ☆
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT, SHOWSTOPPING, JUST WHAT I NEEDED!

description

this is the kind of shit i like. original, spooky, not about boring married people.

i read 13 thrillers in 13 days here's what happened
Holly  B
Is it over-the-top craziness?.... yep

Is it addictive and entertaining?... absolutely!

Did I feel like I was right next to Jules with my heart-pounding along with her?.... I was practically holding her hand!

Who is Jules, you might ask? She is the ever so curious protagonist who becomes an amateur sleuth when her stay at the ever so famous Bartholomew Apartment building begins to uncover its unsettling past. The buildings deep, dark secrets begin to surface, bubbling over. It's Gothic s
Gabby
Holy shit this book was intense and creepy. This is my third time reading a thriller from Riley Sager, and wow this book is great, it's my new favorite.

This story follows this girl Jules who is desperate for a job when she stumbles upon this too good to be true opportunity to live in this glamorous apartment building in New York and they will pay her to be a tenant there. Except for the building is said to be cursed / haunted / shady. But she desperately needs the money and she’s always wanted t
Nilufer Ozmekik
Three lalalaa here comes unpopular review alarm, I can hear the ominous soundtrack in my head like Jaws’s approaching, nanana, disappointing, I got so excited, cleared my night to date with this book, but I didn’t like what I got at the end and my husband laughs at me when he is binge watching Stranger Things( at least one of us is happy) stars!!!

Oh boy, I usually love Riley Sager’s writing style. I enjoyed “ Final Girls” and literally devoured “Last time I lied” ( as soon as I finished I got m
daph pink ♡
i dont usually read RILEY SAGAR books but when i do i am disappointed!
Felicia
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ho. Lee. Chit.

What a page-turner. I found myself awake until the sun came up, frantically turning the pages to get to the end because ...

I COULDN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE OVER!!

I LOOOOOVED Final Girls. That may be because I have a special connection to it that I'm positive nobody cares about but either way, I thought it was superb.

I LIKED The Last Time I Lied.

I LOATHED everytime I had to pick up Lock Every Door.

Much like Sager's previous works, this is a slow burn, taking it's time leading you to a
Debra
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rules, Rules, Rules- YOU MUST OBEY THE RULES. They are simple rules really - do not disturb the other residents at the Bartholomew, no overnight visitors and you must spend every night in your apartment. With added questions thrown in about drinking, smoking, family, etc.

Reeling from a recent breakup, Jules has been sleeping on her best friend’s couch, when she sees the ad for an apartment sitter on Craigslist, she applies for the job. After answering some background questions, she is hired as a
jessica
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what i really appreciate about RSs writing is he knows how to create a thrilling story without inducing nightmares as a side-effect. i will totally own up to be a massive wimp, so i like the opportunity of being able to read a spooky story without my over-active imagination getting the best of me.

and although this didnt scare me, i did quietly whisper ‘what the heck?!’ so many times throughout this. i mean, the last third is so, so, so bizarre. thrilling, but bizarre. i dont even know how RS ca
Barbie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

My thoughts in a nutshell
I had high hopes for this one, and it doesn't live up to my expectation. I'm not saying that it was a bad book, but it isn't a 5 stars read like his other book (The Last Time I Lied). I still like it.

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
... an old apartment where strange things start to happen.
No visitors. Too strict rules. People have gone missing. It is a nightmare.
Jules Larsen's new job is in here. She will be an apartment sitt
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US today 10/8/20

Damn! I didn’t see that coming!!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Melanie

ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

“The twelfth floor is special”

Lock Every Door is about a girl name Jules, who wakes up in a hospital after being hit by a car. She is twenty-five, recently single, and very much struggling with money. But then she gets an opportunity to apartment sit in a very rich and exclusive complex in Manhattan.

All of the floors in the apartment complex have four units, except for the twelfth floor, which only has two, and one of those
Matthew
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of creepy, mysterious thrillers with a twist
This has been, by far, my favorite Riley Sager book so far!

While some of the plot ended up being familiar from other stories I have seen/read, that is pretty normal for most books. Throughout novels these days, there are lot of retellings of similar plots lines, it just depends on how you tell it. In the case of this particular thrilling and creepy plot twist, I was quite impressed.

If I could sum up why this is a 5-star book in 1 sentence: I could not stop for the last 1/5 of this book.

COU
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
OMG THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. WE LOVE THIS NEW SEASON OF AMERICAN HORROR STORY 👏🏻

_____

UPDATE : JULY 9th, 2019.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT OH MY GOD. OH MY LORD. OH MY DAMN.

H O L Y S H I T.

It’s 5 AM.

I have to be up in a couple hours for work. But I don’t care. This book took a 180 turn and it was so unexpected and I loved it.

Full review to come.
Need sleep.

American Horror sounds just about right with this. 😉

Good night.
JanB
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just when I’d given up hope on finding a fun summer thriller, along comes this book!

Jules is having a string of bad luck and finds herself without a home and job, little money in her bank account, and no family to lean on for support. She answers an ad for an apartment sitter at The Bartholomew, an exclusive luxurious apartment building in NYC. The pay to stay in this fancy apartment? $1K a week. She can’t believe her stroke of good luck when she is hired. Apparently Jules forgot the adage that
Kaceey
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
Jules Larsen is down on her luck. She just lost her job and her boyfriend all in one day. Now, with no new jobs on the horizon, staying on her friends couch may be more permanent than she anticipated.

That is, until the opportunity of a lifetime falls into her lap! Stay at the Bartholomew apartment building in New York City. One of the most famous landmarks with a dark, mysterious history behind it. And…She’ll be paid twelve thousand dollars to apartment sit! Seriously! How could she say no!?

Ahhh
BernLuvsBooks
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: botm, adult-reads, 2019
Sometimes a dream come true can turn out to be your worst nightmare! 😱

This totally lived up to my expectations and the hype y'all! 🥰

I have been impatiently awaiting this book since I finished The Last Time I Lied (which I also loved!) last summer. Sager has become a summer staple for me and this book was without a doubt my most highly anticipated summer read. Thankfully, it did NOT disappoint. I devoured this book friends! I could not turn the pages fast enough. Sager always does such an am
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
I know...I am really late to the party on this one. Better late than never right?! What in the actual hell is going on at The Bartholomew? For the next 3 months this is home.........12A...home, hell, you decide!

Seriously, people there is some crazy stuff going on here. This was my second book by Sager (Final Girls is here begging to be read) and he is a master of atmospheric writing. Last time he took me to camp but this time we were on a dream trip to Manhattan! Not only Manhattan but the most
Larry H
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars.

You know the old saying if it seems too good to be true, it probably is? Well, that's something that Jules Larsen should have thought of when she accepted an assignment as an apartment sitter at one of the oldest and most exclusive NYC apartment buildings, the Bartholomew.

Jules is between jobs and, because her relationship with her boyfriend just ended, between apartments. The Bartholomew was the setting of her favorite book from childhood, so the thought of living in those glamorous,
KAS
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it

A Bizarre, Boring, Bust :(

If this was to have chilled and thrilled me, it failed.

I just did not connect with this “Hunh?” storyline, which seemed to veer off in strange directions. One dimensional characters only added to my disappointment.

I enjoyed my first read by this author, “ The Last Time I Lied,” so maybe my expectations were too high.

If you are a big fan of this author, you may very well love this one. There are mixed reviews ... more glowing than not.

2.5 stars rounded up as I did want
Larry
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like The Family Upstairs, I would have rated this a 3.5 if that was an option, but I increased it to a 4-star rating because I read it in one sitting - it was that interesting to me. Who doesn’t like good characters, plot twists, a little murder, some possible cult-ish behavior, a nod to AHS (I kept thinking of my favorite AHS character to date: JPM), and more? Well done.
emma
Always trust your judgment.

This can be read either a scathing indictment of the dumbassery within these pages or a pat on the back for myself since I knew I wouldn't enjoy this.

Pick your poison.

I've only read one other Riley Sager book, an ARC of Final Girls, and all I'll say is that that review is one of the ones I get worried when I get comment notifications on. Let's leave it at that.

(Also, can we talk about how Riley Sager was a faceless pseudonym writing female protagonists for a while and
Susanne  Strong
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
3.25 Stars.

Apartment Sitting Gone Wrong. Very Very Wrong.

Imagine, being given the opportunity to apartment sit, AND be paid for it. $4k a month for 3 months. In Manhattan. You heard that right! That’s $12k for 3 months. Sounds like a dream right? Except there’s a catch. Of course there is. There are rules. No guests. No leaving the apartment overnight. No taking photos of the place OR of you and posting them online. Oh and of course, the Bartholomew has a history. A bad history. Still intrigu

• Temper
  • The Whisper Man
  • The Perfect Wife
  • The Night Swim
See top shelves…
Riley Sager is the award-winning pseudonym of a former journalist, editor and graphic designer who previously published mysteries under his real name.

Now a full-time author, Riley's first thriller, FINAL GIRLS, became a national and international bestseller and was called "the first great thriller of 2017" by Stephen King. Translation rights have been sold in more than two dozen countries.

Riley'

Articles featuring this book

Summer is a great time to lose yourself in a page-turning mystery. To help you sleuth out a new read, we asked five of the season’s hottest...
“Never take anything you haven’t earned, my father used to say. You always end up paying for it one way or another.” 45 likes
“Every so often, life offers you a reset button. When it does, you need to press it as hard as you can.” 38 likes