Start by marking “Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation” as Want to Read:
Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation

Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation

The monster who preyed on Californians from 1976 to 1986 was known by many aliases. And while numerous police sketches tried to capture his often-masked visage, the Golden State Killer spent more than 40 years not only faceless, but nameless.

For his victims, for their families
Audible Audio, 7 pages
Published November 15th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Evil Has A Name, please sign up.
Erin You would be fine without I'll Be Gone, but both are great in their own ways. Evil Has A Name gave me a really satisfying conclusion or epilogue for…moreYou would be fine without I'll Be Gone, but both are great in their own ways. Evil Has A Name gave me a really satisfying conclusion or epilogue for I'll Be Gone, but if you read both I would also recommend some time between because it can seem repetitive since it's the same case. Both are great, but can be read separately.(less)

Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
I have had this on my audible wish list since I saw it was being released months and months ago. I became a little bit obsessed with the case after listening to Ill Be Gone in the Dark last year. Quickly after listening to that I went a bit nuts, reading all the articles, listening to all the podcasts on it and informing all my friends and family (much to my husband's annoyance) of the case and the fact that the guy had NEVER BEEN CAUGHT!! Stuff of nightmares!

So imagine my surprise when two week
Kathleen
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This compels binge listening! This Audible Original is comprised of interviews with both investigators and victims. It feels very much like a true crime documentary; and is the perfect follow-up to Michelle McNamara’s book, I’ll Be Gone in the Dark.

Catching the Golden State Killer (also known as The East Area Rapist, The Original Night Stalker, and The Visalia Ransacker) involved the use of DNA evidence and genealogical research. This aspect was fascinating. Investigators used the DNA datab
Peter Monn
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg this was so good! If you liked I’ll Be Gone in the Dark you’ll love this. My full review will be up on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Natalie Alsis-Benninghoff
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this “book” but I can’t honestly review it without stating the obvious: This is clearly an Audible podcast series that they decided to change into a “book” so that they could charge for it knowing that most Murderinos and fans of I’ll Be Gone in the Dark will buy it because Paul Holes is a goddamn angel. He is essentially the Patron Saint of catching old creeps and Audible capitalized on the fact that we would, at this point, probably listen to him read a take out menu and pay for it.

Bu
Renee (itsbooktalk.com)
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chilling and the perfect companion to I'll Be Gone in the Dark
The Story Girl
The first 5 of 6 hours of this is just a re-hash of what was already covered in Michelle McNamara's I'll Be Gone in the Dark, which was excellent, but that made this quite a disappointing read. It might just be that I had different expectations, but I thought this would be a sequel to that, with it focusing more on how they caught him, and maybe go more into detail about him/what he had to say after he was caught/did he give any interviews, etc. But that was only the last hour of this, and even ...more
Elyse
I started listening to this as soon as I finish listening to I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer. So yes, some of it was repetitive of that but also not because this was the perspective of law enforcement and IBGITD was the perspective of a civilian and amateur sleuth. So both of these books are valuable and have interesting information. Plus this one has interviews with survivors and relatives of victims which amped up this book a notch. It was com ...more
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019rrjanuary
Absolutely amazing! It's a very well put together story of all the hard work that went into the capture of The Golden State Killer. I am so amazing at all the detail that was put into this Audible. I may have to go back and listen again to pick up any things I may have missed in my excitement!
 Sarah Lumos
I know this isn't a book, but it's free for audible members and I would highly recommend listening to it if you have a membership. I listened to this podcast awhile ago, but I never got around to reviewing it because of its sensitive content. When it comes to true crime, I try to remember that these are real stories. They feature real people, emotions, and devastating outcomes.

Evil Has a Name is an engrossing listen. I started listening to it before I went to bed and ended up finishing it in
Jade Wright
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What's great about Evil Has a Name is that it's all about HOW they caught The Golden State Killer. The East Area Rapist. The Original Night Stalker. The Visalia Ransacker. The hideous man with many aliases.
Michelle McNamara's book, I'll Be Gone in the Dark, is about how she researched the case. Her book was published when Joseph James DeAngelo was still at large - Evil Has a Name was after his capture in April 2018.

I do recommend reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara first. It'
Nicole Woodward
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! If you're interested in true crime and the golden state killer, you will find this fascinating like myself.

It's a free audible series, it's totally worth a listen!

For me, what I liked about this was the fact that it focused on the victims and the victims stories. I think that's really important in true crime books aimed at the public. This book does not trivialize and romanticize the actions of the golden state killer in any way, which other true crime books tend to do.

T
Donald Powell
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthropology, other
Audio book. Very well done with narration, personal interviews, revelation of fascinating facts and, like anything with the Goldenstate Killer/East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker/Visalia Ransacker, creepy! The dedication of law enforcement is very inspiring. Law enforcement takes so much criticism. It was a relief to see publication of a book, albeit an audio one, documenting the dedication, hard work and diligence that solves horrible crimes. The production of the book was very well done an ...more
Allison
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, audio
There was a time when I read all the true crime I could get my hands on. Then I stopped. A friend told me about a true crime podcast and that she enjoyed The Golden State Killer episodes. I also knew that Michelle McNamara's book, I'll be Gone in the Dark, was being released in audio and snatched that up immediately. It stands to reason that I had to listen to this as well. Although I don't think there was more detail here than in McNamara's book, being able to hear it from the people that were ...more
Lindsay
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Paul Holes is my nerd hero.

Audible is up to something really interesting here re: the book format. This story unfolds with similar editing techniques to miniseries. At times, the story doesn’t offer enough depth, but I suspect that’s a result of the GSK case still being in process.
Becks
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is more like a well-produced podcast than an audiobook due to the numerous interviews and music. Definitely informative and provided a great sense of closure to the case.
Jaime Arkin
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting listen from the perspective of the investigators and the victims
Lauren
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing that they were able to create a narrative that was so comprehensive while remaining so accessible. I can't say I loved it, because you can't love the story of what this man did, but it was satisfying to hear the voices of his victims and how they were able to triumph in the end.
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
Listening to this audio book was like watching a well-made documentary. The cast is outstanding – investigators, police, criminologists, a genealogist, a journalist, a profiler and the poignant voices of some of the victims and family of the victims. The narration was perfectly delivered.

This is a narrative that will remind you that crime, violent crimes in particular, have a heavy impact not only on the victims but on the friends, family, the first responders, the investigators and the
Tarynbeth
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a phenomenal listen, although I can't say that it felt like a true audiobook. The format felt more like a true crime podcast, as it was mostly comprised of victim testimony, and detectives' recounting of the 20-year-long investigation. For me, the podcast-like feel was engaging and exciting; I was listening to this book at every opportunity I had! Highly recommend if you're a fan of true crime. Do not recommend if you're sensitive to descriptions of crimes/crime scenes.
Morgan
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I saw that Audible Original had produced several chapters on the investigation of the Golden State Killer (also known as the Visalia Ransacker, The original night stalker and the East Area Rapist)  I was a little apprehensive as I didn’t know what to expect having never listened to an audible original before. But this 14 chapter story (series?) blew my mind. It was presented as more of a documentary which includes several interviews with Lead investigators both past and present, as well as ...more
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

If you've read I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer and like me became obsessed with the Golden State Killer as a result then I highly recommend this.

It is very difficult to listen to at times and I cried more than once, especially when Paul Holes tears up, but I think it's a very important listen. As with I'll Be Gone in the Dark, Evil Has A Name really brought the victims to the forefront, it's something I think doesn't always happen with True Cri
Chris Sosa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The early segments of "Evil Has a Name" had me concerned that I'd be listening to an exploitative work that used horrific crimes to create what amounted to a horror podcast. I'm glad I stuck with it until the end. What emerged was a powerful story of resilience, bravery and dedication to public service that led to closure for survivors who deserved answers so they could close a monstrous chapter in their lives.

For those willing to confront the extreme darkness of the content, this is a worthwhil
Alison
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly interesting follow up to “I’ll be gone in the dark” by Michelle McNamara, around the GSK case. I was highly anticipating this release ever since reading Michelle’s book. It was amazing to have the opportunity to listen to the own victims voices tell their own stories, and hear all of the detectives voices as well. Things that didn’t work so much: it was a little repetitive, and I already knew much about the cases from reading Michelle’s book, which took up the first basically 5 hour ...more
Meagan
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WARNING you must heed the warnings on this audio book. They go into very graphic detail about the horrific crimes committed by the GSK. It may be difficult for survivors of the various crime types to listen.

This is very detailed and very interesting in regard to the way a tenacious investigator goes about solving a crime (or crimes.) It was great that they involved so many of the people touched by this criminal, and so many of the leads were gone over, I really appreciated the sensitive way the
Evan Wondrasek
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great complement and follow-up to Michelle McNamara's 'I'll Be Gone in the Dark'. If you've read that, check this out. A bit redundant in the facts of the first part (although the firsthand interviews were more compelling in this book), but the second half was extremely interesting because it covers the specifics of how they caught the Golden State Killer. Really horrific, of course, but a good read nonetheless.
Angus McKeogh
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
With all the recent attention thrown at this case (which involves some other very good books before the case was ultimately solved) it was extremely fascinating to hear how the case was cracked with modern DNA technology and genealogy. If you were intrigued by the mystery of the case then you’ll be equally entertained by how it was closed. My only knock on it is that it’s an audiobook original and not available in print form.
Mandy!
Well, I devoured this within 24 hours of buying it; which is pretty obsessive, for me. But the emphasis on the victims, and with new details of how they caught the GSK--including the steps of how they actually used genealogy (there's a database of all the DNA, did ya know?)--had me hooked. This is a nice complement to "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" and was engrossing to listen to. The audio has a documentary feel to it, with actual voices of the victims and investigators. As a result, I binge-listen ...more
Sharon Carpenter
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-audiobooks
So glad to hear the end of this traumatic & evil ordeal. I read Michelle McNamara's book about the Golden State Killer and her compilation of the efforts of the law enforcement investigators and her own research. While she passed before the killer was caught, or even before her book was completed, I think this extension of that work was the perfect way to close out her commitment to helping to find this monster.
V Nerd
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Scary Stars

Wow, this one is going to be a hard one to review because it is real, real scary, real horrid, really really sad!

You may already be aware of this story as it hit the headlines last year after the real Golden State Killer was caught, after 40 years!!!

This audio book reads more like a pod cast in that it has interviews with all of the people involved in the investigation.

Paul Holes was the chief investigator, stumbling across the case completely by accident as it was stored away in
Jenny
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely well worth the money to spend. It's an audio documentary, which I've never really heard before, but it's basically like a 14 chapter true crime podcast. Paul, Jim, Carol Daley, other investigators, and the various victims and family members speak in their own voice and tell their own story. I cried multiple times throughout listening. It was just wonderful.
  • West Cork
  • The Last Days of August
  • The X-Files: Stolen Lives (X-Files, #2)
  • He Killed Them All: Robert Durst and My Quest For Justice
  • Fukushima: The Story of a Nuclear Disaster
  • The Word of Promise Complete Audio Bible: NKJV
  • Auras
  • We Are Not Afraid: The Story of Goodman, Schwerner, and Chaney, and the Civil Rights Campaign for Mississippi
  • Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-free Living: 1
  • Biff: Quick Responses to High Conflict People, Their Hostile Emails, Personal Attacks and Social Media Meltdowns
  • The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague
  • The Philosopher's Diet: How to Lose Weight & Change the World
  • Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction
  • Christmas at Leo's (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #5)
  • Birding Is My Favorite Video Game: Cartoons about the Natural World From "Bird and Moon"
  • Trapped: My Life with Cerebral Palsy