Start by marking “Apocalypse Any Day Now: Deep Underground with America's Doomsday Preppers” as Want to Read:
Apocalypse Any Day Now: Deep Underground with America's Doomsday Preppers

Apocalypse Any Day Now: Deep Underground with America's Doomsday Preppers

Everyone always seems to be talking about the end of the world—Y2K, the Mayan apocalypse, blood moon prophecies, nuclear war, killer robots, you name it. In Apocalypse Any Day Now, journalist Tea Krulos travels the country to try to puzzle out America’s obsession with the end of days. Along the way he meets doomsday preppers—people who stockpile supplies and learn survival ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by Chicago Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Apocalypse Any Day Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalypse Any Day Now

Start your review of Apocalypse Any Day Now: Deep Underground with America's Doomsday Preppers
Nicki
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a interesting listen and one that ending up surprising me, in a really good way. I thought it would be a fun book as I don’t really know anything about American Preppers/ Survivalists, save for what crops up in the media, films and books. You know Rambo types who are really wacky and paranoid willing to kill anyone who comes near them?

Maybe it’s because I was a teenager in the 1980s and remember the very real threat of WW3, that I’m quite blasé about the threat of nuclear war and t
Ken Heard
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tea Krulos does a decent job profiling those who prepare for catastrophic endings of life as we know it by highlighting their beliefs and fears, but not judging them too harshly or portraying them as crazy folks.

Whether it's by nuclear attack, economic collapse, global warming (if you believe in that), asteroid strikes or ancient Mayan predictions the world's ending is taken seriously by people who have in place "bug-out" plans to move to the hills or underground. One of the more interesting cha
Matt Hlinak
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tea Krulos takes another look at eccentric Americans in 'Apocalypse Any Day Now.' As usual, he lets his oddball subjects speak for themselves without rendering overt comment on their beliefs. Krulos’ engagement with this world helps his subjects open up to him and also makes for a more entertaining book than a more conventional, arms-length journalistic exercise. 'Apocalypse Any Day Now' is a fun and funny, but never mocking, dive into the bizarre world of doomsday preppers.

Read my full review a
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Surprisingly optimistic and not as frightening as one would think.
Like so many subjects that are examined in depth it's hard to keep one's generalizations and prejudices in tack. One take away I have is how the interviewed preppers imagine themselves to be protectors of their communities. I always figured they'd be selfish and hoarding for themselves alone, (which I'm sure there are people like that). But that aspect was heartening.

Some chapters felt unresolved and incomplete, like it was rus
Anastacia Russell
This audiobook is about hanging out with preppers. Well, sort of. Tea goes around talking about AI, zombie parties, apocalypse parties, and people who predict the end of the world. He doesn't really spend much time talking about actually prepping or homesteading. A bit disappointing, and some of the people are obvious nutjobs. The global warming bit had me rolling my eyes. The narrator, Eric Michael Summerer, is a great narrator.
Reggie Martell
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
First off, why did I buy this book: I’m not a prepper and it’s unlikely that I’d adopt that lifestyle. That said, I’m not quick to dismiss those choices. I don’t think society will collapse in my lifetime, but I never thought Obama would be elected and I sure as hell never thought Trump would be elected, so that’s what I know. My interest is primarily academic. Preppers make u a fascinating subculture. Or rather, subcultures. As Krulos demonstrates throughout this book there are many different w ...more
Geoff Habiger
Tea Krulos's book explores prepper culture, and when I first picked up this title I was expecting a book looking only at the prepper culture - the people (often portrayed as very conservative, maybe paranoid, looking at conspiracies online) who collect food, guns, and military surplus to survive the end of the world. And while Tea Krulos does explore some of this culture, interviewing preppers in Wisconsin and New York, and looking at that culture, I was pleasantly surprised that there was so mu ...more
Agne
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audio. I was really happy with the book, but you shouldn't go into it expecting a coherent metanarrative. It's more like one guy's apocalypse themed bucket list travelogue. As that thing, it's mostly a success. I like that it took an inquisitive approach, but called bs where needed. You can probably find similar and better stories of the same places elsewhere, but this is a neat package of everything from religious nuts to missile silo luxury shelters to fan conventions to prepper charities.

The
Shanni
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In Apocalypse Any Day Now, Krulos takes us to meet "preppers" of all types: homesteaders who are building self-sufficient communities, families with planned routes to their prepared shelter, a nationwide group that learns disaster survival from zombie movies, and the builder of a luxy apartment complex for the apocalypse, just to name a few. The range of personalities, situations, and experiences explored in the book gives a much more genuine look into "prepping" in the US. While there is a chap ...more
Ford
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
When I selected this book I figured it would be like a segment from the radio show Coast to Coast. I found it was very interesting and the author was not judgmental. For many years we have stored food and water. We have 72 hour kits and a generator. The one prepper thing we do that was not address in the book is we try to keep the gas tank on our cars at least half full.
Mitch
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The End of Civilization can be fun.

Who knew that societal collapse would be so damn entertaining? Krulos has taken us on a wild trip through the Apocalypse and all of its minions. Total global annihilation has never been more entertaining.
Missy Maxwell
Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish it (got through about 1/3). Really not a great author. I don't care about you going on camping trips and drinking beer around the fire and swimming in a river. Highlights certain members of the "prepper" community and how they collect supplies and make plans with each other.
Britt
Super interesting. At first, I was like "this is just good emergency preparedness". And then they start talking about the guns. Oof.

An interesting read that I'd recommend to anyone who likes thinking about The End of the World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI). 4 stars.
Maggie Bragassi
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting read with a lot of useful info.
Kim Raccoon
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Less exploration of Doomsday Preppers, more , this guy went a explored various different things that had to do with the idea of doomsday.
Kate
Jan 11, 2020
Marianne
rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2020
Apr 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Flight
  • Underground: A Human History of the Worlds Beneath Our Feet
  • A Dark World: The Complete SpaceMan Chronicles (Spaceman Chronicles #1-3)
  • A Mutiny in Time (Infinity Ring, #1)
  • Facebook: The Inside Story
  • Antisocial Media: How Facebook Disconnects Us and Undermines Democracy
  • Methland: The Death and Life of an American Small Town
  • Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby
  • Critical Mass (Expeditionary Force, #10)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Heretic (The Grail Quest, #3)
  • Vagabond (The Grail Quest, #2)
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • A Cosmology of Monsters
  • Rebel Mage Charlie (The Dragon Mage #7)
  • Warp Speed Charlie (The Dragon Mage #8)
  • Portal Thief Charlie (The Dragon Mage #6)
  • The Twisted Ones
I'm a journalist and author from Milwaukee, WI. I've written for a wide range of publications and have authored 3 non-fiction books: Heroes in the Night (2013), Monster Hunters (2015), and Apocalypse Any Day Now (2019). I also contributed a chapter to The Supernatural in Society, Culture, and History (2018). I have two books out in 2020: Wisconsin Legends & Lore and American Madness.

I write a week