Start by marking “A Theory of Love” as Want to Read:
A Theory of Love

A Theory of Love

Eva DeMarco isn’t looking for a relationship. Fresh off a year’s family leave, she is hoping for a quiet return to her teaching and research career at Edmonds University, where she is still in search of the holy grail of tenure. Given that she has recently chucked her Serious Research Interest in the visual arts to study romance novels, she’s pretty sure her best bet is to ...more
Published October 18th 2018 by Second Growth Books

To ask other readers questions about A Theory of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Theory of Love

Lexxi Kitty
Eva DeMarco sat at the bar, trying not to stare too obviously at a group of women playing pool in the next room. This was her first time at a women’s bar since college, and while hairstyles and clothing had changed in the past decade, not much else seemed different.

Eva DeMarco is on the tenure track at a University in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle region specifically; whatever the name of the place, ‘Edmonds’ is involved), who is, you could say, slowly reemerging from a self-imposed exile certa
lov2laf
It's only been a few weeks but it feels like I read this ages ago and the details are already fuzzy...

Two things stand out: 1) The story is way too long and 2) Academia. If you're a professor, know one, or ever went in pursuit of a masters or phD this story may resonate more.

What we get is the romance between a bisexual woman, a professor on track for tenure, and a nonbinary lesbian woman getting her higher education. It's not really a teacher-student relationship as they are in different depart
Jude
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's something about the way Kate Christie writes that really gets to me, in a good way, but also makes it difficult for me to review her books. For some reason, I find them both delightful and painful. She gets in my head and sometimes triggers my anxiety and I'm not sure why.

But that's also why I love most of her books. Because they feel real to me.

And I'm always going back for more. So the last one I read was this, A Theory of Love. There are many things I love: the chemistry between Eva
Kexx
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Wow! Class writing, excellent story, kept me hooked all the way through. Learnt stuff without being lectured and really brought into the characters. Another Christie winner. Brilliant. Further point: this book cost £3.82 for 538 pages - and just been asked for £7.71 for a new, untried author's 186 pages. Mmmm.
Jasmine
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a super sweet love story. Both characters were brilliant and strong, definitely amazing women to look up to. I loved the secondary characters. The pacing was a little slow at certain points, but overall this was an adorable and totally enjoyable book.
Belinda Parker
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite a sweet book. It started off a little slowly, perhaps mostly because I had just finished a much more intense book and this is just a sweet story about fairly normal people in a setting that's not particularly far out of the realm of what most people might experience in their day to day life.

The characters are likeable and a little awkward. I like that they both spend a fair amount of time just fantasizing about the other, like a hot coworker you have a crush on, but because you wo
Doug Elliott
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Romance novels as the subject of academic study was an interesting angle in this story. The main characters were reasonably well developed and the supporting cast was strong enough to contribute to the story -- especially Cass's twin brother. Along the way there are some insights into living with dyslexia.
Selah
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Wonderful

I was hesitant to read at first due to the length, I usually enjoy shorter books, but I read this very fast because it was soo good! I feel like I was able to really get to know the characters and I fell in love with them. I laughed, cried, and wanted more at the end. I even learned a lot of new words :) Can’t wait to read more books from the author!
JENNY F.
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth every second spent reading it

This book is now in my list of favorite reads. So well written, with believable characters reflecting today's America. There are too many things worth reading in this book, not the least of which is the adorable love story that sets things in motion from page one.
Ranger
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kate Christie's best novel by far. The story, which seemed so real, gripped me from start to finish. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone--just read trust me and read it.
Suzi
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, lesbian, romance
I enjoy how Christie takes the elements of F/F romances but makes them very, very much about the characters' backstories. Pre-ordered and read it as soon as it came out.
Leah
Nov 17, 2018
Nicole Mallas Neidich
Apr 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kate Christie, author of In the Company of Women, Gay Pride & Prejudice, and the Girls of Summer series, was born and raised in Kalamazoo, MI. A graduate of Smith College, she lives near Seattle with her wife, their three daughters, and the family dogs.

To join her mailing list and receive email notifications of new releases, giveaways, and other news, visit https://katechristie.wordpress.com/m