Start by marking “Vortex Visions (Air Awakens: Vortex Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Vortex Visions (Air Awakens: Vortex Chronicles #1)

Vortex Visions

(Air Awakens: Vortex Chronicles #1)

A desperate princess, a magical traveler, and a watch that binds them together with the fate of a dying world.

Vi Solaris is the heir to an Empire she’s barely seen. Her parents sacrificed a life with her to quell a rebellion and secure peace with a political alliance. Now, three years past when her wardship should’ve ended, Vi will do anything to be reunited with her famil
ebook
Published February 4th 2019 by Silver Wing Press

To ask other readers questions about Vortex Visions, please sign up.
Elise Kova Short answer is no.

Longer answer...

Short answer is no.

Longer answer...

I wrote this book with the intent for new and returning readers alike to enjoy. The original Air Awakens series is Vhalla's story. This is Vi's story. Overall, the two have different main casts of characters, different villains, and different struggles.

BUT, with that being said... VORTEX VISIONS does take place 20 years after the end of Air Awakens and follows Vhalla's daughter. As a result, there are some spoilers for how the original series wraps up (though much isn't gone to in detail in VORTEX VISIONS, just broad strokes).

So, if you're a reader who focuses on the journey, rather than the destination, and delights in the nuances of a story. You'd be fine to jump right into VORTEX VISIONS. In fact, you may even enjoy the teasers given for Air Awakens and be even more intrigued to see how these characters came to be as they are....

However, if you're a reader who wants absolutely no insight into a book before you pick it up, then I'd recommend giving the original Air Awakens series a shot first, and if it doesn't resonate with you coming back to VORTEX VISIONS because it is a different story with a different narrative (and I've improved a lot as a writer since penning Air Awakens).

Hope all that helps you make a decision! (less)
Elise Kova Yes! The release date is still TBD, but I'm hoping for it to come out in the next two months.
Vortex Visions by Elise KovaWild Country by Anne BishopKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoStorm Cursed by Patricia BriggsSoul in Darkness by Wendy Higgins
2019 Paranormal
52 books — 105 voters
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasVortex Visions by Elise KovaA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasA Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet
Consider it NA
118 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise Kova
Nov 13, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
VORTEX VISIONS is finally out!!

I'm not using this for a review, but as a place to share some information about VORTEX VISIONS.

This book has been 7 years in the making. It's a book that I've wanted to write for some time, but needed to grow and evolve as an author before I felt confident in doing it. I hope you enjoy what I've created now that it's out in the world!

Grab your copy here: http://viewbook.at/VortexVisions
✦ Available in Kindle Unlimited!
✦ Don't have a Kindle and want an eBook? Try d
Katerina
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, arc, fantasy, fae
O how I’ve missed thee, Elise Kova!

There was an odd mix of trepidation, hope, hesitation and eagerness that enveloped me ever since I learned of Vortex Visions. For me, Air Awakens is a truly special series; the sorrows, the tragedies, the raw pain and the whirlwind of love and devastation that swept and defined the lives of Vhalla Yarl and Aldrik Solaris have left a permanent mark, and returning to the world they shaped could either lead to deep contentment or utter disappointment. I should
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
. : ☾⋆ — 5 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the author in exchange for an honest review (thank you Elise Kova, queen of my life!!)

I’ve said it a thousand times and I’ll say it a thousand more—Air Awakens is the best thing that’s happened to the YA fantasy genre and the fact that it isn’t more popular is the bane of my entire existence. AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.

in a very Elise Kova-like fashion, Vortex Visions is equal amounts sappy, perfectly lighthear
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, ya-fantasy
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the author for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Aaaaand we're finally back in the Air Awakens world! I can't express how much I missed AA and its characters, and while I still haven't managed to reread (because five books are A Lot), I still remembered enough details to dive into this sequel/spin-off and catch all the references.

⇒ Do you need to read the Air Awakens series first?

You probably don't need to, since this follows differe
Christa
I had high expectations for the sequel series of Air Awakens and it did not disappoint.

Crown Princess Vi is seventeen, living in the North as a political pawn. Her family rules in the Southern Kingdom, and while she has visits from her parents, she has never met her twin. She doesn’t fit in, she’s too Southern and clearly an outsider to the people who raised her, and she’s too Northern for the people of the South.

“No child chooses the circumstances of their birth. Rich parents, poor parents,
Ess
Sep 27, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
Happy dance!!! Can’t wait to get back to this world. You don’t have to read Air Awakens to read this series but why wouldn’t you?? Everything Elise Kova writes is worth reading.
Cassie James
description

Vortex Visions is an epic new beginning. In standard form, Elise Kova welcomes readers both old and new into the Air Awakens world splendidly.
Vortex Visions was unsurprisingly great, after Air Awakens I expected nothing short of another epic saga and she totally delivered.
Vi Solaris was raised far away from her birth family in the capital city of the North, Soricium. As a descendant of some of the most powerful Firebearers in history, she is expected to have manifested signs of strong magic but
Jordan Howe
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not what I had expected. Reading the original Air Awakens series, I thought I’d know what I was getting into, and I was wrong. While keeping the feel of the Air Awakens world alive Elise wrote and entirely new experience! This one starts off with a bang and just keeps that energy alive throughout the whole book! I am very very excited for the next in this series and too see what happens with/to Vi!
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review*
Okay, I think we all know Elise Kova is my favorite author ever, right? Right. Which means I was low-key scared that the next book she wrote wouldn't live up to my hype for her but guess what?!?! I don't have to worry about it with this series because I. AM. IN. LOVE. AGAIN!!!! Well, not again, because that would mean I had fallen out of love with it in the first place which I didn't. I just mean that I have fallen even harder!!!!
This book
Scrill
Jan 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Ya girl finished Air Awakens series in time to jump on this. So excited.
Alexandra
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an e-ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

The sequel series to Air Awakens is a tale of mystery, hidden clues, and new cast. Following the end of Crystal Crowned which concluded the story of Vhalla and Aldrik, this new book focuses on their daughter Vi and her attempts to discover her new powers as also realize how much bigger the world is.

The story has a slow pace which picks up quickly enough, yet I really enjoyed Elise's w
Nicole (FearYourEx)
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I read an ARC of Vortex Visions and I absolutely loved it! My favorite side character from Air Awakens, Jax is a prominent character. Vi is a very strong character despite not being the firebearer she wants to be. She soon learns that her magic isn't quite what she expected and it's a bit harder than she thought. And despite being scrutinized by the entire Empire she is resilient! I love her almost as much as I loved Vhalla and it's only book one!
🔥
Vortex Visions is written so new readers who hav
Cecily Wolfe
Was there even a page in this when something incredible wasn't happening?

My head is still spinning, and like Vi, I want to know more, right now! I love Vi, who is so much her mother's daughter, with her strength, intelligence, and curiosity. And the story itself is just so compelling and emotional - and the cliffhangers. Yes, there's more than one hanging out there, and I am sure that like me, everyone who reads VV will want to know exactly when we can expect the next installment in this worthy
Caroline Vaught
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-books, 3-stars
**Disclaimer: I received an Advanced Reader Edition of this book in exchange for an honest review**

For those of you that don't know, Vortex Visions is the first book in a new series in the same world as its sister series, Air Awakens. If you haven't read Air Awakens or finished the series, there is bound to be some spoilers in here, but, as the author Elise Kova has openly stated, you don't have to read Air Awakens before reading Vortex Visions.

Also, my reviews tend to be a bit spoilery, so if
Emmie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to lie I loved the original series so much that I was extremely nervous about this one. More so than when I read the prequels. What if it didn’t live up? Let me tell you that it did. I MIGHT even say that I enjoyed this book more than Air Awakens. Might.
This book took an already amazing magic system and expanded it. Yet it did it in a way that works. Nothing felt stretched or out of place. One of the most common ways to teach readers a new magic is to educate the main character,
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Elise Kova blew through all my expectations with her brilliant world-building, captivating story and complex characters in Vortex Visions. This follow-up to the Air Awakens series will appeal to original fans and new readers!

Brimming with magic and mystery, Elise turns the Air Awakens world on its head. There are some major revelations in Vortex Visions. They truly stunned me. Very unexpected but definitely a well-calculated move. I'm really liking where and how the story's flowing.

Vi may not ha
Fae Crate
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not disappointed on this return to the Solaris Empire. Both new fans and returning will love this story that wraps magic, adventure and a hint of romance all in one.
Katelyn Anderson
I hold a special place in my heart for the Air Awakens series, and when I heard there was going to be a sequel? I’m pretty sure I fangirl screamed.
I didn’t know what to expect diving into Vortex Visions.. but one thing I did see coming was epicness, and I was NOT disappointed. This book was so damn captivating, and intense, and all the things. I need MORE like my life depends on it.
Maia
Nov 11, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
LOOK AT THAT COVER!!!!
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
WooHoo we're back to this world! Another series I loved that I'll be able to revisit again in the future! Like Shades of Magic, Remnant Chronicles or The Winner's Trilogy!
Rebecca
Dying! Cannot wait!!
Kel Carpenter
This cover is life people. I am so fucking excited I could squeeeeeeeee! 😍😍

And that blurb? This is going to be one of the best series in 2019. 🔥🔥🔥 Calling it now!

Michelle*
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set 18 years after the conclusion of Elise Kova's phenomenal Air Awakens series, VORTEX VISIONS follows the young Princess Vi as she grapples with an awakening magic, distant family, expectations of the empire, and the hands of fate. As Vi uncovers secret after secret about herself and her world, she must choose whether she will remain the perfect princess or risk everything to save the world and the people she loves.

I am a massive fan of Kova and Air Awakens, so to be back in the Solaris empire
L.R.W. Lee
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this introduction to Vi Solaris' world! I loved how we get a much closer glimpse into the environment she grew up in as a ward of the North as well as how she might feel about being used as a "pawn" to secure peace with no say.

Vi's struggles to get a handle on her magic were great and very believable. And I loved Taavan!!

Overall, I loved the story arc and what has been set up for the next book in the series. Somehow you knew it had to go "there". LOL.

I had a couple issues to offset all t
Emily
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
It was such a pleasure to return to the world of Solaris. It was like meeting back up with an old friend and we got to talking like no time at all had passed. At first it seemed familiar and homey, just like I had left it. However, I surprised to learn just how much things had changed.

It's hard going into the next series of books in an extend
Jessica
5 stars!

I've so enjoyed being back in author Elise Kova's skillfully crafted world of the ‘Air Awakens’ series. If you enjoy any of Kova's writing, or well-written YA fantasy in general, this is a must-read!

This continuation of the ‘Air Awakens’ series is a joy to read, beautifully written with well-developed characters and vivid descriptions of the castle rooms, caves, and forests that Vi frequents.

#AirAwakens - I voluntarily read a Review Copy of this book. All opinions stated are solely my o
Jessica
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beyond excited about this book! I couldn't read the original series fast enough. There are some authors who, despite how many books they may put out, you only read one or two and you're okay with that. Elise is an author (in my opinion) that once you start reading something she's written you just can't wait to read whatever else she's got out or will be putting out. I highly suggest that anyone looking to read this book start with the Air Awakens series (and companion trilogy). It really sets ...more
MRC Undertaker
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredible.
description
Kelsea
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
**May contain spoilers for the Air Awakens series (but seriously isn't this whole book a spoiler for that series??)**

Quick Summary:
- You think you know all there is about this world and then BAM, your mind is blown with a whole new side to it → Seriously, holy friggin world building!
- A main character who loves maps and books!! Could you get more relatable!?!
- A compelling storyline and a new type of magic THAT IS SO SUPER COOL!!!

My Review:
Thank you to Elise who provided an ARC of this book in e
  • We Are Blood And Thunder
  • Untitled
  • Untitled (Transference, #3)
  • Untitled (Courting Darkness Duology, #2)
  • Malice
  • The Nameless Queen
  • This Vicious Cure (This Mortal Coil #3)
  • The Beholder
  • Spartan Promise (Mythos Academy: Colorado, #2)
  • Untitled
  • Soul in Darkness
  • Dark of the West (Glass Alliance, #1)
  • Glittering Shadows (Dark Metropolis, #2)
  • The Burning Shadow (Origin, #2)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Rage (Stormheart, #2)
Elise Kova is the USA Today bestselling author of fantasy stories filled with magic and romance.

In her past lives, she has graduated from an MBA program, lived in Japan for a bit, and worked for a Fortune 500 technology company. However, she finds herself much happier in her current reincarnation as full-time author. When not writing, she can usually be found playing video games, drawing, watching
“I am too Northern to be Southern. I am too Southern to be Northern. Eastern to be Western. Western to be Eastern. I belong nowhere, and to no one, and it’s all because of some stupid magic and the words of one person—whose name you don’t even know.” 2 likes