Start by marking “Hazel and Holly” as Want to Read:
Hazel and Holly

Hazel and Holly

Nestled within an enchanted forest is the Grove, a community where witches and warlocks practice elemental magic, brew mystical potions, and lock their cellars against beer thieving gnomes. Life is quiet and uneventful. Well, except when Hazel's long-lost father uses necromancy to trap her dead mother's soul.

That simply won't do. Necromancy is forbidden in the Grove, and
Published May 16th 2019 by Double Beast Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hazel and Holly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hazel and Holly

Start your review of Hazel and Holly
Lara
Mar 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
My review

Wow, I actually cannot believe I managed to finish this book. I am so proud of myself for not digging my eyeballs out because this was torture for my mind and soul. I've been delaying this read for a while now because some inner part of me that actually sees sense refused to read it. Well, that's what I get for ignoring the smartass.

Hazel and Holy are two sisters living alone after their mother died – but, their father trapped her soul in a geas. One day, Hazel decides to chase her
Amy Imogene Reads
Mar 06, 2019 rated it did not like it

A magical fantasy novel with cute chapter headings and an enchanted forest vibe...but it could not keep my interest and ultimately fell under its character and dialogue issues.

World:
Writing:
Characters:
Dialogue:

I was very excited to read this ARC. It sounded like the perfect blend of magical adventure, necromancy, and sister/sister bonding. Unfortunately, Hazel and Holly fell flat.

Hazel and Holly features the tale of sisters—Hazel and Holly—as they live in their high
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

DNF at 30%
Sadly, this book is not for me, it's another case of "It's me not you". I think the author wrote an awesome world-building and magic system and I loved the pet familiars and the intriguing premise of two sisters in a journey with Warlocks. The author also makes beautiful descriptions and I praise that amazing cover and the creativity in names, which was lovely. It started great but I could not
✨Skye✨
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ebook version of this from Netgalley. Thankyou to both Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this! My review is still honest.

I requested this book from Netgalley fully on a whim. I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting too much and anticipated this reading like a simple, fun, middle grade novel. This little gem is far more complex than that, and I've found myself pleasantly surprised.
Hazel and Holly is a magical tale of two witch sisters and their adventures with
Meg
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book when it was first released by the author as a weekly serial story. Sara's sense of humor is fun and her way of unfolding a story are so engaging! Really can't wait to have it all together in one book!
Karen
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish, arc
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A community of witches and warlocks lives within an enchanted forest. Here, necromancy is forbidden. Which is a problem because Hazel and Holly's father used necromancy to trap their dead mother's spirit. Now, the girls want to find him to free her. Perhaps a pair of warlock brothers can help them.

I'm kind of confused about this book. A look at its cover and the subtitle ("A Fantasy Adventure")
Jypsy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had no expectations for Hazel and Holly, so I wasn't greatly disappointed when I didn't like it. These girls and their crazy father and their dead mother's soul? It's disturbing and creepy and just not. I skimmed and read bits of it, but overall I didn't care for this story. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Shannon
Hazel & Holly

I Picked Up This Book Because: Cover love

The Characters:

Hazel:
Holly:
Tum, Hemlock, Hawthorne

The Story:

I love a sisterly bond and a sisterly bond on an adventure to find your father… no brainer for me, Unfortunately the book did not deliver for me. Well more like it was taking too long to deliver so I’ve moved on.

The Random Thoughts:

*DNF so no rating
Sadie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Disclaimer: I received this as an ARC from Double Beast Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Hazel and Holly is a fantasy novel that follows two sisters, Hazel and Holly, on a journey to release their mother’s soul from a spell crafted by their necromancer father. The two sisters are joined by a pair of warlock brothers, Hemlock and Hawthorne, and Tum the mischievous cellar gnome.

There are a lot of things I liked about this book. It’s a small detail but I adore that each
Janne Janssens
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ebook provided by NetGally in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

"I'm not afraid," Hazel said. "I just prefer not to be touched by the dead."

The first chapters were really promising. I loved the worldbuilding. The idea of different kinds of magic was very interesting, but I wished the author had been more specific about them. I could often hardly imagine what every witch of wizard could do with her/his power. What I also loved
Rebecca
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5stars

I liked the idea of this though I didn’t really relate to any of the characters. They were all either underdeveloped or unlikeable. Holly was supposed to be 17 but came across like 13 and Hazel made seemingly random choices on a heroes mission that didn’t feel heroic.

The story plodded along at an appropriate pace and I liked the intrigue of their father, Ash, until the anti-climatic final few chapters where his whole personality seemed to change implying a ‘and they all lived happily
Bojana
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

First of all, I must confess that I was a bit skeptical at the beginning of this book, simply because I'm not fan of Paranormal genre or Witches themed stories. Still, I gave it a try - and I do not regret it at all!

Since English is not my native language I can not evaluate it (language) in the right way (as I do when I read books in my native language), but still I can see that writing style is good - let me even say heterogeneous - there's no excessive repetition and story is running and
Alicia Allen
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I give this book 3.5 stars.
This book was different.
There is no two ways about it.
From the way in which the characters and situations seem to not fit into whatever time they are in to the character development...something about the story was just not what I am used to. That doesn’t make the story bad, it just makes it...difficult to really get all the way into at first.
With that being said...

It is a fun story to read. Admittedly it took me quite a long time to read this book because of reasons
Silke
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it

The magic system in this story is one of the strongest point of this book. It really had me hooked from the first introduction and I was very intrigued by all the streaming’s in magic. I loved how well executed all the magical segments were and what a huge impact they had on the daily life of the characters. I hope that we will explore all the different magical systems more in the future books. Because now it focusses mainly on the witches streaming’s, but I love to read more about
Jun
Apr 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
The name and the cover are what initially draws me to this book, the premise of the story also sounds very interesting. The book follows the story of Hazel and Holly, sisters living in a magical community who have lost their mother and abandoned by their father since a young age. being in a magical community that favors the natural elements, they scorn at the unnatural teaching of necromancy that their father used to trap the soul of their mother in a geas. With the help of a couple of warlocks, ...more
Kamisha
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
I feel so bad writing this review, because I was truly excited to read this ARC. Sister witches, with one sister being slightly on the grumpier side, enchanted woods, magical creatures, and necromancy. It sounded like so much fun and right up my alley. But unfortunately, Hazel and Holly just did not click for me. I honestly can’t even quite pinpoint what it was about this that didn’t work for me, but I found it really hard to finish this book. It read a little too slowly for my tastes and what I ...more
Tasha Leigh
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, arc
ACTUAL REVIEW 1.5 STARS

Going into this, I was all for it. There's sister witches and necromancy. The ghost of their mother and their father's untimely demise. It was going to be epic! But alas it missed a mark for me.

So, this novel reads as one giant tea party for at least the first 25%. There's long passages about cakes and society and I honestly felt like I had opened the wrong novel, instead reading a Victorian tale of high society. There was the occasional sprinkling of other events but to
Nicole Harbour Lau
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
As one of my first experiences reading YA fantasy, this book was a pleasant surprise! Although the story is largely centered around two witch sisters - Hazel and Holly - and their quest to free the soul of their dead mother from the geas their necromancer father has trapped her in, this humorous and magical story also explores the bond of sisterhood and follows Hazel’s personal journey of self acceptance.

Hazel and Holly discover allies in two warlock brothers, Hawthorn and Hemlock, and together,
Anjana
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a hard book to recommend wholeheartedly. I almost did not give it my three stars but considering that I found certain parts of it enjoyable, I could not truthfully hold back. The story is over-the-top quirky/wacky. This is its strong suit, but there is too much of it. If the book was half its length I would have really liked it. Hazel and Holly are sisters, here it would have been better to keep their ages hidden because it made the upcoming romance a little hard to digest. Holly is ...more
Esmeralda
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've received an E-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about two sisters in a magical world that are trying to save the trapped soul of their mother from their father (who trapped said soul). The storyline sounded pretty interesting to me. I like fantasy, magical things and a journey with a clear start and end point. In this book however, the start point wasn't very clear in my opinion. Sure, they went looking for their dad, but there were no clear clues or hints
Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews)
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the release of the book in exchange for an honest review.

First lets take a moment and look at this stunning cover. I love it! That is what drew me into the book. The concept sounded right up my ally but I am sad to say that I had to DNF this book. I was just a bit confused at times and I was not sure who certain characters where until several chapters later. I think it could have used a little more detailing on the story telling. I think the plot was
Brooklynne
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book showed so much promise with its story but unfortunately for me, the writing really let me down. The pacing was incredibly fast and then would slow down to a snail's pace as if the writer kept realising this needs to be a novel, not a short story. The characters lacked any depth but were interesting enough. The romance was transparent from the get-go and lacked any mystery.

The most fascinating thing about this was the world building was stellar, the magic system interesting and quest
Layla
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 out of 5 stars.

I received a copy of this through NetGalley for an honest review.

I really struggled to get into this story sadly. I felt that the dynamic between Hazel and Holly was lacking, particularly at the beginning. Certain parts of the story seemed a little rushed. Hazel as a character didn't appeal to me. There seemed like a real disconnect with regards to their Mother and them.

I do love the story idea, I think it just fell a little short with it's characters.

(I would like to try
HollyLovesBooks
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a love/hate relationship for me. First off, I adore the title and cover which are stunning. The novel itself is apparently considered an adult fantasy but it reads more as aimed for a younger audience. With that said, I loved the world building, which was brilliantly done and really captured the imagination. The flip-side though is that the characters did not live up to the world. They fell flat at times and there were some slower paced bits that seemed like maybe could have been ...more
Danielle
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a perfectly serviceable new adult fantasy about two witch sisters looking for their necromancer father but it never really drew me all the way in. The elemental magic system and world was interesting but the slow pace and the confusion of the four H names of the main characters weren’t really working for me. It was originally published serially on the author’s blog, maybe the pacing felt better that way.

I did end up liking Hazel though and I warmed up to Holly after she grew beyond how
Sandra
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
My full video review: https://youtu.be/k6kSh-bgQQs

Hazel and Holly are two sisters and witches, they try to find their father who has bound their dead mom's soul to earth so she can't move on.

The premise sounds awesome, but the execution could've been much better! I found myself being bored and not really enjoying myself throughout the book. The magic system was interesting and I did start to care about the characters after a while, but the story was too all over the place and didn't carry any
Kayla J. ~ Master of Dragons & Assassins
Awesome sister duos always hold a very special place inside my heart, so I'm super glad I got to add this one to the bunch! Hazel & Holly by Sara C. Snider was a lighthearted and entrancing read. With all the talk about about witches & warlocks, necromancers & dangerous magic, I was expecting and was even a little excited for a dark read...but that's not what I got. Instead, this book brought out the quirky angles of fantasy, which I absolutely loved! I so look forward to more of ...more
Sally Maxwell
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Double Beast Publishing for the arc of this book.
I absolutely loved this book, a great story of two sisters and two brothers going on an adventure and along the way they find themselves, you have the strong sister Hazel, and the soft scatterbrained sister Holly, then you have their unlikely friends brothers Hemlock and Hawthorne, and we can’t forget Tum, he gave me so many laughs in this.
I hope there will be a second book, I would love to see how they develop.
NerdyBookishBeauty
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m going to give this book three stars because it takes talent to be able to continue a story that can be over in 100 pages on as long as she did. This one could have been a short story/novella and still would’ve gotten the point across. I like the plot but I think that the ball was dropped on where it could have gone. I think it was a good read, it just went on for far too long!
Danny
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise of this book was promising but I found itquiet lacking. Necromancy, witches, enchanted forests and crazy family dynamics could have taken this book to great places but it was just disturbing and dull.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ever Alice
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • The Path Keeper (The Indigo Chronicles, #1)
  • Kingdom of Exiles (The Beast Charmer, #1)
  • The Living God (The Living God, #1)
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Bursts of Fire (Addicted to Heaven, #1)
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • The Memory Thief
  • Queen of Sea and Stars (Daughter of Light and Shadows, #2)
  • Six Goodbyes We Never Said
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Tiger Queen
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Five Midnights
  • The Weight of a Soul
Sara C. Snider was born and raised in northern California, but now lives in Sweden with her partner and two beastly cats. She has a bachelor’s degree in Archives and Information Science that is currently sitting on a shelf, collecting dust, as she pursues her literary dreams.

When not reading or writing, Sara enjoys wandering in the woods, playing computer games, and eating dumplings as often as