Start by marking “Beneath Cruel Fathoms (The Bitter Sea Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beneath Cruel Fathoms (The Bitter Sea Trilogy, #1)

Beneath Cruel Fathoms

(The Bitter Sea Trilogy #1)

After a violent storm destroys her ship, Isaura Johansdottir knows better than to hope she’ll be rescued from Eisland’s vast Failock Sea. Adrift and alone, her plans to start over lost, it’s a tragic conclusion after the disastrous end of her marriage—until she’s saved by Leonel, one of the merfolk, a creature long believed extinct. In repayment for her life, Leonel enlist ...more
Published May 2019 by Fine Fables Press

Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
I received this eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

It was honestly more of a 3.5 but the first half was great, so I'm rounding up.

Love and friendship. Shame and heartache. Endings and beginnings.

Obligatory Summary

Isaura is on a boat, going back home to her father's house after a failed marriage, but the sea has been behaving most strangely, and
Robin Bonne
Oct 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
It is going to be a looooooooong winter while I wait for this book to come out.
Intisar Khanani
This was a heart-achingly poignant story, and I mean to write a review that does it justice. For now, I'll just say: alternative world with norse mythology, plus a merman and a healer who are equally broken and incredibly strong? Oh, and they have to save the world together? Adventure, magic, and all the feels. Read it now.
Branwen *of House Targaryen*
Sometimes you come across books that you really enjoy, other times you come across books that leave you unsatisfied. And SOMETIMES, just SOMETIMES you happen to cross paths with a book that just blows all your expectations out of the water and makes you remember why you love reading so much in the first place.

Beneath Cruel Fathoms was that sort of a book for me.

If you know me, you know that I absolutely live for fantasy novels. Out of all the genres I love, fantasy is my absolute favorite. So no
Dianne
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Humans long thought the merpeople had vanished, but when a freak storm sends Isaura into the raging sea, and the ship she was on into a million pieces, one merman will risk exposure to save her life, knowing he is breaking all of the laws of his underwater kingdom.

Together they will unravel the ugly truth behind the mysterious storms that have caused death and destruction on the Failock Sea. Little did they realize the treachery they would uncover. Nor could they know how ri
Sabrina
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Isaura is travelling home after her marriage fell apart. While crossing the sea back to Eisland, the ship is torn apart and she is the only survivor. As she is on the brink of death, Leonel discovers her while investigating the recent storms and shipwrecks. He is convinced they are unnatural and sinister and is determined to find out who is behind them.
Leonel is the guardian of the fathoms, mortal and half merman, the last of his kind. The laws of the fathoms say he is forbidden to save Isaura
Fungi From Yuggoth
First in a Norse-like epic fantasy series, BENEATH CRUEL FATHOMS features as protagonist Isaura, a Healer, who has set sail for a distant land after the sudden unexpected dissolution of her marriage. Unfortunately, this is a time of multiple dangerous tempests on the sea, as never before known, and the ship capsizes, all crew lost. Rescued by the last of the merfolk, Isaura joins with Leonel to uncover the truth behind these terribly dangerous storms. Part fairy tale, part fantasy, all delight.
Oddette
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down! One of my new favorites... It felt like there was just enough world building so that it didn't drag on. I loved the two main characters and how well they worked together while building each other up through their pain. Can't wait for the next book!
Marissa
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Beneath Cruel Fathoms can be described as a combination of fantasy and Norse mythology re- imagining. It follows the story of Isaura, a land dweller and healer, and Leonel, the guardian of the Fathoms and half breed son of goddess Ran. Leonel's family life is a bit complicated with nine sisters who have control over the seas and waves and a stepfather who has never fully accepted him. There have been a series of unexplained storms and shipwrecks in Leonel's fathoms. While Leonel tries to uncover ...more
I.W. Ferguson
Last week I read "Beneath Cruel Fathoms" by Anela Deen because it's in my SPFBO group and I liked the first chapter. I soon found out that this is a romance book, which is not something I usually read (I'm more of an epic fantasy fan). But I continued on because A) I bought it, and B) it's clearly well-written and edited.

Turns out, although I rolled my eyes mightily a few times, and skipped some paragraphs of lovesick ruminations, I liked the characters, and felt good when they got together. Thi
Danielle
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I was given an ARC of Beneath Cruel Fathoms for free from the author in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

This is the first time in over a year where I have zero negative things to say about a book. I finished reading it two days ago and I’m still at a loss for words.

Beneath Cruel Fathoms drew me in from the very beginning, holding my attention until the end. Not an easy feat for someone with the attention span of a goldfish!

I rooted for Isaura and Leonel, both separately and a
Kai
Mar 31, 2019
Celeste829hotmail.Com
Apr 18, 2019
A child of two cultures, this hapa haole Hawaiian girl is currently landlocked in the Midwest. After exploring the world for a chunk of years, she hunkered down in Minnesota and now fills her days with family, fiction, and the occasional snowstorm. With a house full of lovable toddlers, a three-legged cat, and one handsome Dutchman, she prowls the keyboard late at night while the minions sleep. Co ...more

The Bitter Sea Trilogy (2 books)
  • Between Savage Tides (The Bitter Sea Trilogy, #2)