Start by marking “Storie per bambini che hanno il coraggio di essere unici: Storie vere di bambini straordinari che hanno cambiato il mondo senza dover uccidere draghi” as Want to Read:

WINNER OF THE SPECSAVERS CHILDREN'S BOOK OF THE YEAR 2018.

Daniel Radcliffe, Galileo Galilei, Nelson Mandela, Louis Armstron, Grayson Perry, Louis Braille, Lionel Messi, King George VI, Jamie Oliver. . . All dared to be different.

Prince charming, dragon slayer, mischievous prankster. . . More often than not, these are the role models boys encounter in the books they read at
Published August 2018 by Salani (first published April 3rd 2018)

Start your review of Storie per bambini che hanno il coraggio di essere unici: Storie vere di bambini straordinari che hanno cambiato il mondo senza dover uccidere draghi
L.H. Johnson
I have promised to be, above all things, honest in the reviews that I write and so it's for that reason that I must confess that I wanted to dislike this a lot more than I did. These books at the moments for rebel girls and boys who dare to be different conceptually bother me; they speak to ideas of gender in children's literature, for this is what this is, really, and they speak to the state of those ideas being in a somewhat complicated and, perhaps, quite a troubled space. And, because I am ...more
Sophie Crane
Beautifully designed book with great pictures and inspirational stories! I think it’s great value as it has a lot of content that provides good role models for Kids. It’s going to be given as a gift. I’d say it’s ideal for older children aged around 8+ and young teenagers.
Aimee
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! ...more
Katerina
As a (curious) (with no head for hard science whatsoever) parent, I'd've loved to see a touch more informative pieces about all the wonderful men in the book; as an avid ballet-goer and a John Green fan, I can't help but appreciate that both John and Sergey Polunin are mentioned.
Bridget
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: khs-books
Great book for showing diversity, creativity and bravery to young people. Great art which compliments the stories of these interesting humans really well. One of those books for every school library. Highly recommended for schools of all levels.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-and-ya
Such a great book about extraordinary people. I really enjoyed reading it.
fisher
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really love Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls, so I was really excited about this one... unfortunately, it really isn't up to par. A lot of the stories are great, but I feel that a fair number of them de-emphasized actual achievement and I'm left a bit puzzled as to how to navigate what feels like the over-representation of transgender "success", there's a definite agenda here and while I'm all for transgender rights there's something about this positioning that I find quite inappropriate.

January Gray
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for boys! It teaches them to be brave and take their own path! Inspiring! I highly recommend this book. It is awesome!
Bianca (theperksofbeingbianca)
Thanks NetGalley for the free ebook!

This was such a wonderful book. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Ben Brooks got inspired by Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Tales of Extraordinary Women to write this version about boys and men. I'm really glad this book tells the stories of 100 wonderful men that did amazing things without the need of violence, "manning up" or supressing feelings like boys are taught to do stereotypically. I think it teaches a very good lesson about what
Gordon
It seems that as of late there has been a trend with nonfiction books for children to hold up examples of real life people as role models for kids who feel isolated or outcast, bullied or belittled, in an attempt to say to those who see themselves reflected in these stories, “It Gets Better!” I’ve read quite a number of them, hoping to find one that isn’t flawed in the approach or the message, that would be the book I would want to share with a lonely boy or girl struggling with their own ...more
Heather
As some other reviewers have noted, this book definitely poses several interesting questions who are looking at this book from a feminist perspective. On the one hand, there is the fact that as a short biography book, each entry lacks a certain amount of nuance regarding how some of these figures are problematic and that means that some people who deserve a certain amount of criticism don't get it. Those who have mentioned this make a good point, but I'm also curious about how we view the text ...more
Andreea
I was sent a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I don't think I've ever had such a hard time rating a book. The thing is, this book has some great ideas and it's trying to achieve beautiful things - erasing our toxic notions on masculinity and teaching little boys (and girls) that boys can be something more than muscles and sports and whatever old-fashioned notions we grow up with. And I think this is truly wonderful.

Unfortunately it falls in the category of books from the
Barbara
The title pretty much sums up this book's contents. It highlights the contributions of 77 different men in alphabetical order. Many of us are accustomed to seeing the names of famous individuals, almost always males, who served as rulers or presidents or fought this or that war. But here the men, boys too, are of a different ilk. This diverse collection of males wrote music, invented things, gazed at the stars, found fossils, danced, sang, grew their hair long, and led a movement to eradicate ...more
Teresa Grabs
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, what a fantastic book! I remember one time when my son was young; he asked me why there were no books about boys like him - boys who were not interested in sports, had a huge heart, and just generally seemed to be invisible. This book is for those boys - the boys who feel they could be as great as a football star in things they care about.

Brooks' book highlights 77 men who changed the world because they believed in themselves. Sometimes it just takes a little time, patience, and a lot of
Dawn
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

My 9 year old son was glued to this book tonight. We read it together and it was well written for his level of reading and very informative. It covered a wide range of historical figures and his hero, Messi, made it a perfect read for him. Perfect for boys to encourage their reading and to gain knowledge and little snippets of info!
WheeldonHS
This is such a great book! We have read it on and off all year and recently finished it (along with Rebel Girls). I love the diversity of people included and every entry sent us off eager to answer questions and find out more about the person we read about and the things they did.

Highly recommend this book to everyone!
Kara
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very accessible and fun to read. I loved learning about lots of amazing boys and men of all ages throughout history. It's very laid back and meant to be a fun read but with great purpose!
Teresa
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We read one or two stories per day to our son, and many times they made us cry.
Steph
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved learning about so many different people. Great resource for my students!
Elizabeth
I was really intrigued by the title and concept of this book. I'm trying to find more books for kids of all ages that share ideas of positive masculinity, and this fit the bill. Unfortunately, the execution was a mixed bag.

I think some of the people included made for really excellent choices, and it was great to see such a broad variety of men featured. The straightforward style is accessible and enjoyable to read.

I think a few of the choices were highly questionable given the racist or
Amy
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, arcs, netgalley
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for a chance to read this wonderful book!

When I first noticed this, it reminded me of "Good Night Stories For Rebel Girls" which I own but haven't read yet.

This book is filled with the extraordinary tales and lives of men/boys throughout history. Some who have even been forgotten by time. Some I knew about and others I had the pleasure of learning about, I now know the names and stories of some truly remarkable people.

I cannot rate this below 5 stars, it
Brook
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful, sorely needed book! With kid-friendly language and beautiful, unique artwork, Ben Brooks tells the stories of 76 boys and men from the past and present who used their unique gifts and perspectives to change the world for the better, including several men who used their positions of power to help improve conditions for and advance the rights of girls and women. Representing and celebrating boys and men of diverse races, religions, sexualities, gender presentations, ...more
Alexandre Kiro
Apr 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can’t wait for benny to turn 30 to stop getting away with publishing books for infants.
Also, in clown word what is becoming daring is being normal rather than different (if everybody is different, nobody is [I recommend Zygmunt Bauman’s and Byung Chul-Han’s books to dig into this]), native rather than foreign, etc.
This books lacks lucidity, not to say erudition, but who cares, it’s a best-seller!
Honk honk

PS.
BRIAN: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to
Fiona
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a raft of books aimed at, and focusing on, girls it was a breath of fresh air to see a book also highlighting the contributions and achievements of males. It has been important to acknowledge the value of girls, but this often seems to have been done by disparaging or ignoring boys rather than enjoying the qualities of both sexes.

This book, like ‘Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls’, is clearly aimed at children. There are certainly many stories within both books they young people will
Baby Bookworm
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Stories for Boys Who Dare to Be Different: True Tales of Amazing Boys Who Changed the World without Killing Dragons, written by Ben Brooks and illustrated by Quinton Winter.

A short-biography anthology, this collection aims to recognize men and boys throughout history, both famed and more obscure, who made an impact on history in non-“traditionally masculine”
Jo
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel the need to start by saying I find the title of this book, and others like it quite challenging. In the current climate of saying that any person of any gender can be who or what they want to be, we have a book that is marketed solely at male readers. (I realise that there are others marketed to a female audience already but why not have a book with mixture). Having said that however:

I really enjoyed this collection of short stories about key men and boys who have in big and small ways
Hannah
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
This was fun to read. One page was for one person. Well, actually two, but the second one was a drawing of that person. There were many inspiring stories and great messages. Also there was representation. The book talked about, I believe, two trans men and a bunch of gay men. I liked that a lot.
Though I must agree with other reviewers. The title does not really fit. Why are these boys different? They're also not daring to be. They should be seen as normal.

Also, some people didn't really do
Victorien Sukarieh
The internet was full of the other book in the series “Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls”. It didn’t catch my attention. But one day i was wandering around in a book store and saw this book. I was so pissed that this wasn’t mentioned as much as the other.
This book is a fast read. Short stories about boys that changed the world in a way or another.
Stories that inspire the reader to work hard in life and to overcome whatever obstacles we face.
The cover is so cool, illustrations are amazing and
Melanie
The idea of the book was great; I think it's important that boys (and girls!) know that there are multiple ways for boys to make a difference in the world. They don't have to be athletes or war heroes to be amazing. However, I didn't feel like there was enough information. For the vignettes about the people I was already familiar with, my thought was basically, "Huh. I never knew that about them. That's cool." But when it was someone I had never heard of, I thought, "Wait...That's it? Tell me ...more
Athina (booknotes_athina)
This was sent to me as an ARC from Netgalley and the publisher.

I think that the book has a very good concept. It is a book that I enjoyed and is full with the stories of famous and not so famous boys who dared to be different and make something that had an impact on them and on others. It teaches what masculinity means and that you do not have to follow the stereotypes to be a man. On the other hand, I didn't find some of the stories to be inspiring but I thought that the boys on them got a
« previous 1 3 next »

• Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls 2
  • Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Tales of Extraordinary Women
  • Sankaritarinoita tytöille (ja kaikille muille) - Kertomuksia rohkeista naisista Minna Canthista Almaan
  • Jane Goodall
  • Barry Loser is the best at football NOT! (The Barry Loser Series)
  • Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world
  • I Am Not A Loser
  • Tom Gates 17: Tom Gates: Spectacular School Trip (Really.)
  • Barry Loser: worst school trip ever!
  • México bizarro 2
  • Cuentos para quererte mejor: Ilustraciones de Raquel Díaz Reguera
  • Itsenäisiä naisia: 70 suomalaista esikuvaa
  • First Generation: 36 Trailblazing Immigrants and Refugees Who Make America Great
  • The Beast of Buckingham Palace
  • Fing
  • Nesupusele. 100 de femei pentru 100 de ani de Românie modernă. Volumul 1
  • The Ice Monster
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
“I studied every thing but never topped..
But today the toppers of the best universities
are my employees"