Start by marking “Lonely Planet Scotland” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet Scotland

Lonely Planet Scotland

Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher

Lonely Planet Scotland is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Sip the water of life, whisky, in an ancient pub, trace the trails of the clanspeople fleeing Glen Coe, or play a round in St Andrew's, golf's spiritual home; all with your
Published April 16th 2019 by Lonely Planet

To ask other readers questions about Lonely Planet Scotland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet Scotland

Samantha
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thorough and informative.
Gwen
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel

This book gives a good overview of places to go, things to see, how to get there, and where to eat/sleep/drink. There isn't much of a "voice" here, and other than the generally excellent "Worth a Trip" sidebars, this book seems to deal in the standard tourist locations. And if you're anything like me, you'll need Google Maps up to see where things are: the maps in this book are sorely lacking in detail and usefulness.

Next up: The Rough Guide to Scotland

Actionable ideas:
Dundee: V&A
Viva
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always feel that travel books are a kind of anachronism because of smart phones and tablets that can travel but there's something about physically holding a book in the hands which makes it different. I much prefer holding a guide than looking at a small screen but of course each has its place and I wouldn't want to travel without either.

I really like this guide. You can't really fit a guide for an entire country in a small book but this guide fits a lot in this small paperback. Looking at it,
Becca
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Lonely planet is my go to for travel books whenever I have a plan forming to hit the road. Maybe it's the fault of the book, or maybe it's the fault of Scotland, but this one has left me completely overwhelmed and unable to prioritize the five unplanned days I have in Scotland in April! There's a vast quantity of information,And I am suffering from serious fear of missing out. I should just open the book to a random page and go. Orkneys? Inverness? Saint Andrews? Glasgow? Yes! All of the above!
Erica Naibo
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this guide is not useful for peolpe who want to plan a trip to Scotland because it is not clear about the must-seeing things/places: for the guide everything is beautiful and must-seeing. I went to so some places that the guide marked as "stunning, wonderful, incredible": what a waste of time!!!
I suggest to use another guide to help you choosing where to go and what to see.
Mell
Well done, and it covers everything. Helped me realize that some of the places I want to go are too far apart to be practical/affordable to do in one trip.

Good overview, but I think I'll need to also look at regional and city guides to get really specific detail on the ins and outs of my interests.
Anna
Even though I could only explore 2-3% of Scotland (and for most of the time I had a real-life guide with me), this was a great thing to hold onto while I did it. In a couple of years I'll probably go back, so it will be put to use again.
Lora J.
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource

Stuffed with great information, easily navigated and well organized. I am preparing to travel with my family for a few days and this book made my decisions more informed.
Patti  K
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found Fodor's guide better. I did not care for Loney Planet's Kindel version, no matter how much I messed with the formatting I could not get this to look right and it was hard to read. The photos and images that matched with the text were just off making it hard to read.
Thomas
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual with Lonely Planet, an accurate and informative guide to places to see and things to do.
The usual flaw: they should cut off the info about accommodation and restaurants in their guides for Western countries, as the online tools (e.g. TripAdvisor) nowadays are more accurate and reliable.
Elin Streiffert
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of information. Might be good to read before deciding on where in Scotland one wants to go. Since I already knew what places I was interested in, I could only get a few pages about these locations. But well written.
Esther
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
quite a nice companion for the planning.
The worst thing was to find out the location of a place due to plan the roadmap.
I also wondered that there was nothing about the inner northern highlands (f.e. between Ullapool and Tain)
Simon
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great companion on a highland road trip and a weekend in Edinburgh.
Brenda Kellow
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative

I loved reading about your beautiful country. How very fortunate Scottish people are to live in such a paradise! Thanks for the journey. 😊
Kaz
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My copy is certainly very well used after a month of touring Scotland
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Super helpful if you will be visiting Scotland!
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-books
A somewhat in-depth guide, organized by geographical area. It finds a good balance in conveying a complete yet manageable amount of information. Index was useful. Transit information was very helpful. Lodging suggestions seemed rather hostel-heavy, which could be great for many trips, but in my case I will have to do a bit more research on this front. Still, you could use this guide without needing any others, it is that complete and well-organized.
Dana

• Moments: Pulitzer Prize-Winning Photographs: A Visual Chronicle of Our Time
  • Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening
  • Trigger Point Therapy for Myofascial Pain: The Practice of Informed Touch
  • Uncle Andy's: A Faabbbulous Visit With Andy Warhol
  • Picturing Frederick Douglass: An Illustrated Biography of the Nineteenth Century's Most Photographed American
  • The Secret Generations (Secret Families, #1)
  • The Complete Calvin & Hobbes, Volume 1
  • Searching for Happiness
  • Poems and Stories
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • For These Tough Times: Reaching Toward Heaven for Hope and Healing
  • David Wilkerson: The Cross, the Switchblade, and the Man Who Believed
OUR STORY
A beat-up old car, a few dollars in the pocket and a sense of adventure. In 1972 that’s all Tony and Maureen Wheeler needed for the trip of a lifetime – across Europe and Asia overland to Australia. It took several months, and at the end – broke but inspired – they sat at their kitchen table writing and stapling together their first travel guide, Across Asia on the Cheap. Within a week th