Start by marking “The Patient” as Want to Read:
The Patient

The Patient

A therapist must face her own worst fear—one of her patients is a serial killer.

Danielle Rycroft suspects someone close to her has a dark secret. In the confidential setting of therapy, her patients share their anxieties and fears. Now, with a string of murders in town putting her on edge, Danielle’s own worries come close to eclipsing her patients’. In each case, the pa
Published October 15th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

Start your review of The Patient
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.25 so sorry but you gave so much clue from the beginning so I didn’t enjoy the final surprise because I already found it which puts me in the minority group of readers who don’t like the book so much stars!

Reading too much surprising, twisted, whodunit, “Oh no! I didn’t see this coming!” books made me suspicious person who sleeps one eye open and love to finish puzzles, guessing unconventional, unforeseeable endings of the books (or movies! When I told my friends, I think Bruce Wi
Erin Clemence
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to the author and NetGalley for providing me with a free, electronic ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Publication date: October 15, 2019

Dani Rycroft’s small, idyllic town is rocked by grievous and grotesque murders- parents are being bludgeoned in their homes while their unsuspecting children sleep. Although she is faced with fear and anxiety herself, Dani continues to find solace in the treatment of her patients- Ella, Savannah and Tyler—all dealing with tragi/>Dani
Brenda
Danielle Rycroft was a therapist, working in a small town with three patients. They all had problems and Dani was doing her best to help them. But continually she felt a failure as the issues kept bouncing from small to large and back again. She was feeling stress, her migraines had returned and her inability to sleep was getting her down. Dani knew her patients had secrets, but with the violent murders that had been occurring in town and her best friend Detective Tami Sloan only giving her basi ...more
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

So I had a little bit of an idea where The Patient by Steena Holmes was going, but I sure wasn't planning on the extent of how things turned out.

What it's about: Danielle Rycroft is a therapist and she thinks one of her patients might be a serial killer. Someone is committing crimes in her town of Cheshire and they all have the same MO, the parents are murdered leaving a small child behind. Danielle is trying to help her clients Ella, Tyler, and Savannah with their issues and insecurities, but
Kimberly Belle
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A therapist with a serial-killer patient is at the heart of Steena Holmes’ latest, The Patient. Holmes starts with a bang, then builds the action steadily, a gradual unfolding of truths and secrets that will have you constantly rethinking who is the killer. A brilliant psychological thriller that will mess with your mind.
Literary Soirée
SERIAL KILLER
Dr. Danielle Rycroft suspects one of her therapy patients is a serial killer in an intense psychological thriller that will blow your mind.

WILD RIDE!
I’d initially found the patient sessions completely inauthentic, based on my past experience as a psychotherapist. I also disliked all of the characters with their irritating emotional wounds. But I hung in and I’m glad I did because the plot explodes, explaining these “failings” in a way that will gobsmack you.
Donna Hines
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Shut the front door! This was pure genious! Madness all around!
A therapist is facing her worst fear~ one of those she councils could be a killer!
Sounds like this is a clear cut situation but looks are always deceiving.
You know having had experience with malignant narcissist, sociopaths, psychopaths I know they push the envelope and the buttons. They are very cunning, deceiving, manipulative, and oh so darn believable.
What if the therapist Danielle is the real danger? What if h
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
A town plagued by brutal murders… Parents found bludgeoned to death with their young children at home left untouched. A therapist who gets a note that one of her patients is behind the murders…

This book was really fascinating! A lot of clues sprinkled through the book and I had about a dozen theories of who was behind the murders. The list of suspects is a long one and I loved the way the book came together!

The setting for this book is a town that is full of references to Alice in W
Mary
Aug 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had a hard time staying with this book. I found it oddly written, with characters that didn’t connect, and rather banal conversations. Not to mention how nearly every chapter ended with a question mark. Drove me nuts! I stayed with it because of a glowing review I read which told me the big super surprising, you’d never guess it reveal would make it so worth it. Hmmm. I had a feeling I knew where we were heading and yes, I was right. I really didn’t like this book. I am apparently in the minor ...more
BookGypsy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow!
A therapist has a serial killer as a patient but which one? Parents are being killed in their beds while their children sleep but why? Someone is holding on to dark secrets but who? This creeped me out! My own thoughts were racing just as as fast as I was reading it. I was up all night. I've never read this author before. Holmes blew me away with this. What a rollercoaster of a thriller. Don't miss it and start it early. You won't put it back down.

Dawnny-BookGypsy
Shalini
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this author and find her books entertaining and emotionally interesting.

Dr. Danielle suspected one of her patients to be a serial killer when a string of murders rocked the town. Her best friend Detective Tami was her confidante of her fears.

Steena Holmes has written an swirling plot with an interesting arc which had me looking at everyone with a suspicious eye. The story was disjointed at some parts but soon pulled together making it a chilling read.

Absolutely different fro
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
If you’re a fan of psychological thrillers, you’ll want to pick up The Patient by Canadian author, Steena Holmes. After a series of brutal murders plagues a small town, psychologist Dani Rycroft begins to suspect that one of her clients may be a serial killer. As the truth begins to surface, and the paranoia and fear of the small-town residents rise, readers are taken on a tension-filled ride that will leave them questioning the motives of multiple characters.

As an avid suspense reader, I did f
Denise
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Fear is a wonder drug. The chain reaction it creates within our bodies is amazing. Prepare and protect...Fear doesn't control me. I control it."

Someone in the town of Cheshire is killing parents and leaving behind the sleeping innocent children after the bloodbath. Everyone is on alert, suspicious and desperate for the "Mad Queen of Cheshire" to be apprehended and punished. Because of the name, this little hamlet has a huge interest in all things "Alice in Wonderland" and has many t
Amy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it A LOT!!!
The book is AWESOME!!!! It lures you in from the start with just a few words and you find yourself addicted until the end! It has an air of mystery to it as you try and figure out what's really going on and who the killer is.. with each page you go deeper and deeper into the story and it becomes a race against time to find out who it really is!!! When the ending draws near and all is revealed you won't believe it... you are BLOWN AWAY!!!! I NEVER saw that ending coming!!! OMG!!!
Melissa Borsey
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book kept my interest throughout, but I wasn't crazy about the writing. I was not expecting it to end the way it did. Overall, it was a good read. I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Diane
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Patient by author Steena Holmes is WOW...absolutely shockingly different than any other books I have read by this author!. This is a dark, psychological suspense novel...but oh, so interesting! I started reading The Patient: A Novel this morning and could not put it down until the very end. I won't post spoilers.
Danielle Rycroft is a therapist who resides in the small town of Cheshire, where she feels she is needed. Danielle is new to this town where the theme of Alice in Wonderland is
Judy Collins
WOW! Review coming. Stay tuned.
Melissa
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. The premise is fascinating, but the delivery is all over the place.
I called what was going on from the beginning, as it is pretty obvious if you're any sort of thriller reader or movie watcher (or even if you just slightly pay attention to the clues). It's a very overdone premise and I found myself wanting something to actually happen instead of revisiting the same exact things over and over again. I get it, Danielle is tired, Danielle doesn't sleep, Dani
Jennifer Holloway Jones
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really thought the atmosphere of Alice and Wonderland was quite intriguing. Danielle has three different patients that she is counseling and begins to believe that one of them is committing the crimes in the area. She seeks the assistance of a therapist to help her rationalize what was going on to better understand why she is feeling the way she does. I thought that there was really good suspense and I was kept guessing until the very end. This book was very atmospheric and I would love to rea ...more
ROBIN RUIZ
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Simply existing wasn’t enough for me. In order to live life the way it was meant to be experienced, I had to push past my own boundaries and embrace every adventure that came my way.”
Wow... I was hooked from that paragraph!
Dr Danielle is a therapist with three different patients, each vastly different. All while Dr D feels one of her patients is stalking her!
Not giving any spoilers, but I loved it. I was intrigued by the therapy sessions and the Alice in Wonderland backstory !
Melissa Souza
Full RTC.
Hillary
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
This genuinely couldn't have been worse. She gave away the big plot twist a bit past a third of the way in, the dialogue was atrocious, and her metaphors were so heavy handed (and abundant) I started to make a drinking game out of them but had to stop because alchohol poisoning is real kids.
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
The Patient by author Steena Holmes is a great book! Wasn’t too out there and wasn’t crazy boring.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Monique
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Off with their heads!

Am I allowed to say that THE PATIENT is a thrilling thriller? Danielle Rycroft is a therapist in Cheshire, a small town with a park dedicated to Alice in Wonderland. There's also a serial killer on the loose. Is one of Danielle's patients the killer because one has killed in the past...

THE PATIENT was my first book by Steena Holmes and certainly not my last! Ms. Holmes possesses a clear, vibrant style that makes even therapy sessions gripping. Believe
Carol Boyer
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book will take you on a roller coaster ride or an escape down the rabbit hole like the theme in Alice in Wonderland. I found myself questioning from the beginning the reality of the events as they didn't seem to be authentic or fit with what a therapist would be doing with her patients. One is a serial killer. I kept reading although, I had a clue thinking what would turn out to be. Holding on for the ride, the story evolved with lots of interesting characters, and their quirks or tales. Th ...more
Jeanette
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
'The Patient' was an enjoyable read and although there were one or two parts where i seem to have lost the plot, the story as a whole was very good. It's the first time that i have read a book by Steena Holmes and i'm sure it's not going to be the last. I rarely write what a story is about as i prefer one to read the book for themselves, but i do recommend, especially if you enjoy psychological thrillers.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review,
Sandy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely an I can’t put it down kind of read. I did have it figured out early on but kept turning page after page with a slight bit of doubt. I have always loved this authors books and she has taken on a new road with this one and it does not disappoint.
Thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for the ARC
Jennifer Newell
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well crafted story that will keep you guessing as you try to unravel the mystery.

What would you do if you were a psychologist and you were afraid that one of your 3 patients was a serial killer? Would you trust your best friend who is a cop with the things you uncover? Can you handle the stress as more people are killed?

Enjoyed the way this was written. I loved trying to figure out who was the serial killer.
Gretchen Hunter
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The narrator is terrible. I almost gave up on the book, but then it improved. I listened to it on Kindle Unlimited. I wouldn't want to use a credit for it.
Dawn
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Steena Holmes’ books! I can’t imagine how difficult it must’ve been to keep all of the characters and their stories straight. I really like when I am unable to predict what is going to happen. Unfortunately, I was able to predict this one somewhat, but I won’t give any spoilers. I still enjoyed reading this book, though.
Readers Coffeehou...: The Patient: Add this to your TBR Pile! 10 44 Oct 18, 2018 05:40AM

• The Poison Garden
  • All About Evie
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • The Other Wife
  • When She Returned
  • Stay
  • Black Rock Bay
  • Life on Loan
  • Lowcountry Boomerang (Liz Talbot Mystery #8)
  • Lock Me In
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • The Giver of Stars
  • We Went to the Woods
  • Finding Tomorrow
  • The Tenant
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • The Missing Sister
NY Times & USA Today Bestselling Author - Steena is the author of the heart wrenching Finding Emma series.

The Word Game was included in the Top 20 Novels to be Written by Women in 2015 by Good Housekeeping.

Her latest novel - The Word Game won the 2015 USA Books Award for Best Fiction and her novel, The Memory Child was a finalist in the same category.

Steena Holmes grew
“Not everyone knew their reason for being, but I knew mine. I was never more complete than when I was able to help those in need. To listen, to carry, to create peace when life fell apart.” 0 likes
“have it appear as if I wanted to look after her while she worked these murder cases, not because” 0 likes