Start by marking “The Patient” as Want to Read:
The Patient

The Patient

A therapist must face her own worst fear—one of her patients is a serial killer.

Danielle Rycroft suspects someone close to her has a dark secret. In the confidential setting of therapy, her patients share their anxieties and fears. Now, with a string of murders in town putting her on edge, Danielle’s own worries come close to eclipsing her patients’. In each case, the
Published October 15th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

Start your review of The Patient
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.25 so sorry but you gave so much clue from the beginning so I didn’t enjoy the final surprise because I already found it which puts me in the minority group of readers who don’t like the book so much stars!

Reading too much surprising, twisted, whodunit, “Oh no! I didn’t see this coming!” books made me suspicious person who sleeps one eye open and love to finish puzzles, guessing unconventional, unforeseeable endings of the books (or movies! When I told my friends, I think Bruce Willis was
Erin Clemence
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Special thanks to the author and NetGalley for providing me with a free, electronic ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Publication date: October 15, 2019

Dani Rycroft’s small, idyllic town is rocked by grievous and grotesque murders- parents are being bludgeoned in their homes while their unsuspecting children sleep. Although she is faced with fear and anxiety herself, Dani continues to find solace in the treatment of her patients- Ella, Savannah and Tyler—all dealing with
Brenda
Danielle Rycroft was a therapist, working in a small town with three patients. They all had problems and Dani was doing her best to help them. But continually she felt a failure as the issues kept bouncing from small to large and back again. She was feeling stress, her migraines had returned and her inability to sleep was getting her down. Dani knew her patients had secrets, but with the violent murders that had been occurring in town and her best friend Detective Tami Sloan only giving her ...more
ABookwormWithWine
/ 5

So I had a little bit of an idea where The Patient by Steena Holmes was going, but I sure wasn't planning on the extent of how things turned out.

What it's about: Danielle Rycroft is a therapist and she thinks one of her patients might be a serial killer. Someone is committing crimes in her town of Cheshire and they all have the same MO, the parents are murdered leaving a small child behind. Danielle is trying to help her clients Ella, Tyler, and Savannah with their issues and insecurities,
Mary
Aug 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had a hard time staying with this book. I found it oddly written, with characters that didn’t connect, and rather banal conversations. Not to mention how nearly every chapter ended with a question mark. Drove me nuts! I stayed with it because of a glowing review I read which told me the big super surprising, you’d never guess it reveal would make it so worth it. Hmmm. I had a feeling I knew where we were heading and yes, I was right. I really didn’t like this book. I am apparently in the ...more
Kimberly Belle
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A therapist with a serial-killer patient is at the heart of Steena Holmes’ latest, The Patient. Holmes starts with a bang, then builds the action steadily, a gradual unfolding of truths and secrets that will have you constantly rethinking who is the killer. A brilliant psychological thriller that will mess with your mind.
Literary Soirée
SERIAL KILLER
Dr. Danielle Rycroft suspects one of her therapy patients is a serial killer in an intense psychological thriller that will blow your mind.

WILD RIDE!
I’d initially found the patient sessions completely inauthentic, based on my past experience as a psychotherapist. I also disliked all of the characters with their irritating emotional wounds. But I hung in and I’m glad I did because the plot explodes, explaining these “failings” in a way that will gobsmack you. I won’t reveal details.
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
A town plagued by brutal murders… Parents found bludgeoned to death with their young children at home left untouched. A therapist who gets a note that one of her patients is behind the murders…

This book was really fascinating! A lot of clues sprinkled through the book and I had about a dozen theories of who was behind the murders. The list of suspects is a long one and I loved the way the book came together!

The setting for this book is a town that is full of references to Alice in Wonderland.
Donna Hines
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Shut the front door! This was pure genious! Madness all around!
A therapist is facing her worst fear~ one of those she councils could be a killer!
Sounds like this is a clear cut situation but looks are always deceiving.
You know having had experience with malignant narcissist, sociopaths, psychopaths I know they push the envelope and the buttons. They are very cunning, deceiving, manipulative, and oh so darn believable.
What if the therapist Danielle is the real danger? What if her life is at
Hillary
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
This genuinely couldn't have been worse. She gave away the big plot twist a bit past a third of the way in, the dialogue was atrocious, and her metaphors were so heavy handed (and abundant) I started to make a drinking game out of them but had to stop because alchohol poisoning is real kids.
BookGypsy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow!
A therapist has a serial killer as a patient but which one? Parents are being killed in their beds while their children sleep but why? Someone is holding on to dark secrets but who? This creeped me out! My own thoughts were racing just as as fast as I was reading it. I was up all night. I've never read this author before. Holmes blew me away with this. What a rollercoaster of a thriller. Don't miss it and start it early. You won't put it back down.

Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte
Shalini
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this author and find her books entertaining and emotionally interesting.

Dr. Danielle suspected one of her patients to be a serial killer when a string of murders rocked the town. Her best friend Detective Tami was her confidante of her fears.

Steena Holmes has written an swirling plot with an interesting arc which had me looking at everyone with a suspicious eye. The story was disjointed at some parts but soon pulled together making it a chilling read.

Absolutely different from the
Bridget
If your favoured reading material is a compelling tale with a good sprinkling of suspense, drama, heartbreak, therapy and mystery, then The Patient by Steena Holmes is a must-read for you!

From the get-go there was so much happening in this wonderful psychological thriller! Danielle Rycroft was an interesting, troubled character and it was a journey to get to know her. I got to see that sometimes life got overwhelming for her. There was lovely depth and poignancy to Steena Holmes’ writing which
Melissa
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. The premise is fascinating, but the delivery is all over the place.
I called what was going on from the beginning, as it is pretty obvious if you're any sort of thriller reader or movie watcher (or even if you just slightly pay attention to the clues). It's a very overdone premise and I found myself wanting something to actually happen instead of revisiting the same exact things over and over again. I get it, Danielle is tired, Danielle doesn't sleep, Danielle
Diane
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Patient by author Steena Holmes is WOW...absolutely shockingly different than any other books I have read by this author!. This is a dark, psychological suspense novel...but oh, so interesting! I started reading The Patient: A Novel this morning and could not put it down until the very end. I won't post spoilers.
Danielle Rycroft is a therapist who resides in the small town of Cheshire, where she feels she is needed. Danielle is new to this town where the theme of Alice in Wonderland is
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
If you’re a fan of psychological thrillers, you’ll want to pick up The Patient by Canadian author, Steena Holmes. After a series of brutal murders plagues a small town, psychologist Dani Rycroft begins to suspect that one of her clients may be a serial killer. As the truth begins to surface, and the paranoia and fear of the small-town residents rise, readers are taken on a tension-filled ride that will leave them questioning the motives of multiple characters.

As an avid suspense reader, I did
Denise
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Fear is a wonder drug. The chain reaction it creates within our bodies is amazing. Prepare and protect...Fear doesn't control me. I control it."

Someone in the town of Cheshire is killing parents and leaving behind the sleeping innocent children after the bloodbath. Everyone is on alert, suspicious and desperate for the "Mad Queen of Cheshire" to be apprehended and punished. Because of the name, this little hamlet has a huge interest in all things "Alice in Wonderland" and has many themed shops
Adventures of Nikka
"I think one of my patients is a serial killer. I just don't know which one."

I really wanted to like this book.

First of all, that cover is to die for! That, and the title, which is just so fitting, really intrigued me from the beginning.
Second, this book had so much potential. It's got a really interesting storyline, it reads like a movie and the transitions from one chapter to another were flawless.

However—and I believe I'm in the minority when I say this—I just wish it delivered.

It's one
Heather
Oct 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Saw this one coming from a mile away. Knew by chapter 2.
Melissa Borsey
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book kept my interest throughout, but I wasn't crazy about the writing. I was not expecting it to end the way it did. Overall, it was a good read. I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Bridgett
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then."

2.5 stars rounded down.

The Patient is a decent story, but it's so utterly obvious, practically from page 1, where the story is going...and what the twist actually is... that I truly can't imagine anybody reading this book and not figuring it out very early on. Because the entire story line relies so heavily on the reader being surprised at the end, it's a bit of a fail in that respect.

I wholeheartedly admit this
Amy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it A LOT!!!
The book is AWESOME!!!! It lures you in from the start with just a few words and you find yourself addicted until the end! It has an air of mystery to it as you try and figure out what's really going on and who the killer is.. with each page you go deeper and deeper into the story and it becomes a race against time to find out who it really is!!! When the ending draws near and all is revealed you won't believe it... you are BLOWN AWAY!!!! I NEVER saw that ending coming!!!
Katie
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise

Interesting premise but I figured it out too early. I alternated between the audio and Kindle edition. The audio narration was not very good.
Judy Collins
WOW! Review coming. Stay tuned.
Cindy
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really, seriously, WOW!! Steena Holmes I thought I was following the patients quite well.. I knew who the serial killer had to be... THEN, oh no!!!

Loved it and audio is the way to go!
Jennifer Holloway Jones
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really thought the atmosphere of Alice and Wonderland was quite intriguing. Danielle has three different patients that she is counseling and begins to believe that one of them is committing the crimes in the area. She seeks the assistance of a therapist to help her rationalize what was going on to better understand why she is feeling the way she does. I thought that there was really good suspense and I was kept guessing until the very end. This book was very atmospheric and I would love to ...more
Judy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Odd book. I figured out what was going on very early in the book and read it to find out how the author would tie it all together. I found it to be rather tedious in parts. I tired of all the "therapy" sessions. I can't help but wonder what toll, if any, it took on Ms. Holmes to write this book. I've read several other books by Ms. Holmes which I really enjoyed, but this one didn't do it for me.

I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are
ROBIN RUIZ
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Simply existing wasn’t enough for me. In order to live life the way it was meant to be experienced, I had to push past my own boundaries and embrace every adventure that came my way.”
Wow... I was hooked from that paragraph!
Dr Danielle is a therapist with three different patients, each vastly different. All while Dr D feels one of her patients is stalking her!
Not giving any spoilers, but I loved it. I was intrigued by the therapy sessions and the Alice in Wonderland backstory !
A different kind
Melissa Souza
Full RTC.
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
The Patient by author Steena Holmes is a great book! Wasn’t too out there and wasn’t crazy boring.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Readers Coffeehou...: The Patient: Add this to your TBR Pile! 10 45 Oct 18, 2018 05:40AM

• The Poison Garden
  • True to Me
  • Third Party
  • Little Voices
  • Emily, Gone
NY Times & USA Today Bestselling Author - Steena is the author of the heart wrenching Finding Emma series.

The Word Game was included in the Top 20 Novels to be Written by Women in 2015 by Good Housekeeping.

Her latest novel - The Word Game won the 2015 USA Books Award for Best Fiction and her novel, The Memory Child was a finalist in the same category.

Steena Holmes grew up in a small town in
“Not everyone knew their reason for being, but I knew mine. I was never more complete than when I was able to help those in need. To listen, to carry, to create peace when life fell apart.” 0 likes
“have it appear as if I wanted to look after her while she worked these murder cases, not because” 0 likes