Start by marking “The Final Play” as Want to Read:

The Final Play

He's the best man.

I'm the maid of honor.

What could go wrong?

Spencer Cook is the love of my life and my ex-best friend. Three years ago, I let him walk away without telling him how I truly felt. Since then, it’s been radio silence between us. That doesn’t mean I forgot about him though. How could I?

Now he’s back, and my feelings for him haven’t changed. I still want him.

Cou

To ask other readers questions about The Final Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Play

Tongan Book Lover
Such a fun and flirty novella! However, I did have a hard time connecting emotionally with the characters. And despite it being a novella, I felt like everything was rushed and that was why I couldn't connect with the characters. I do love a good friends to lovers romance and I love second chances. This did, however, make me want a full length novel from them. I wanted more information, to dive deeper into their world. Definitely recommend this one for a light read!
Deekay
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable short read, I totally loved this novella. When it comes to novella, there’s no drama, no intense things happening because well, it is a novella. This short story is perfect in so many ways.

April and Spencer has been friends for a very long time, but things changed the moment Spencer walked out of April’s life 3 years ago to pursue his dream. Years later, he came back and April had to make a hard decision about her future.

Both are great characters and even though this story is very s
Lauren
4.5 Stars
This story is short, fast paced and a sweet read. I read this book within half an hour and was satisfied throughout. This book is the first book of Liz Lovelock’s that I have read. I found the writing style easy to follow, the characters loveable and the storyline sweet. I liked April. She loved Spencer but was hurt by him closing her out. She was in love with her best friend but in the past, she knew she had to let him go. Spencer is back in town for his and April’s best friends weddi
Stephannie Tolitsky- Swoonworthybooks/EnticingJourney
April had a best friend named Spencer who she secret had a major crush on. Spencer left to pursue his football dreams and never spoke again. Spencer comes back to be the best man in their friends wedding and they now come face to face after 3 long years. She gets drunk and lets him know how she feels about him and this throws him for a loop. Why didn't she say anything before? Why did she let him leave and not talk for 3 years if she has feelings for him? He has a question for April, what will h ...more
Robyn Corcoran
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite a dramatic start to this short story and it does peek the reader’s interest for sure. Add to that, and I don’t usually comment on this aspect however I felt the need to, the super cover and my intrigue level rocketed sky high.

April and Spencer Cook were best friends and she had a huge crush on him but after college he left without another word. Meeting up for her best friend’s wedding.

Miscommunication is the key to this second chance at love story, it certainly is in real life too. However
Samantha Payne
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short, sweet, emotional, heartfelt, second chance and Happily Ever After... are just a few words that could be used to describe this book. Wonderfully written with great characters and story line.

April and Spencer have been in love with each other for years but never knew that the other felt the same way.

April let Spencer leave after College so that he could live his dream of being a football star. Three years down the track Spencer is back in town for their best friends Jackson and Simone’s we
Renee
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

He's the best man. I'm the maid of honor. What could go wrong? Spencer Cook is the love of my life and my ex-best friend. Three years ago, I let him away away without telling him how I turly felt. Since then, its been radio silence between us. That doesn't mean I forgot about him though. How could I? Now he is back, and my feelings for him haven't changed. I still want him. Coul this be our second ch
Millennial Book Life Crisis - Samantha
The Final Play was a short and light read involving second chances. April and Spencer were best friends for the majority of their lives, but three years ago Spencer left without a word and they haven’t spoken since. April was heartbroken, as she was secretly in love with him, but never said a word. When their best friends are getting married, Spencer shows back up to take part as the best man to April’s maid of honor, but April isn’t too quick to take him back into the fold as she was devastated ...more
Clara Atkinson
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Final Play by Liz Lovelock

This is a short emotional second chance romance.
Spencer Cook a hot-shot sexy football player is back in town after a three year absence for his bestfriend Jackson's wedding.
April hasn't heard from her ex-bestfriend since he walked out of her life three years ago to pursue his dream of football stardom. Heartbroken and feeling abandoned she has a hard time moving on because she has never told him that she was falling in love with him.
Finding out he's back in town to
Caz
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
loved this novella it was sort but really sweet.

This is a story of young loves who didn’t really know that each other like d each other and it was such a great story to watch this all evolve

For Spencer and April being best friends all through high school I think it was a case of being too scared to show feelings and not step on anyones dreams.

Three years later and a wedding bringing them back together really tests if they can hide their feelings anymore.

Really enjoyed this story loved all the s
Up All Night With Books
4 Stars
Review by Lisa
Late Night Reviewer
Up All Night w/ Books Blog

What a wonderful and short novella about second chances. The Final Play by Liz Lovelock is one short story but it is full of all the feels.

Spencer and April have been friends forever, from childhood through college. When Spencer gets an offer he can't refuse, April lets him walk away. No word, no text, not even a second glance...Three years later, he is back and is a force to be reckoned with. Can they move past the miscommunica
Marnie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
🌟⭐💫 The Final Play 💫⭐🌟

A fun short story that is everything that I love about novellas. Fun short and easy reads that are the filling snacks of the book world.

This books is everything I love about novellas. It’s a fun short and easy read and is the filling snack of the book world. Snacks are as vital as our main meals, lifting our energy and keeping us going through the day, and Liz Lovelock’s The Final Play was a perfect smoko and lunchtime read. It certainly lifted my spirits and kept me going.
Jennifer Pierson
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Final Play is a short story about April, who has been in love with her best friend Spencer for a long time, but sent him away to live his dream in professional football. He never even called her the years he's been gone, but now he's home for a visit for a wedding that they're best man & maid of honor in. Even though it's a short read, there's a lot of angst coming out of the pages, as April has a lot of hurt. I didn't feel as much for Spencer since he didn't have a POV in it, which I wo ...more
 Tania
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Final play is a quick friends to lovers read.
This is a cute read. Both April and Spencer have been best friends all throughout high school. Little did they both know is that they both had developed feelings for each other.
The book seemed a little rushed and their relationship was lacking the sparkle and chemistry that I would have loved to have seen. This novella has great potential and I’d love to see it turned into a full length.
3.5 Stars
Sheena
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Misunderstandings and unspoken confessions

This was a really entertaining friends to lovers romance with Spencer, a professional American footballer, who moved from his hometown three years previously to pursue his dreams, and April the best friend he left behind.

I enjoyed the interactions between Spencer and April; Spencer came across as a stand up guy although I think he would have had more depth if his perspective had been given; April came across as rather self-centred to start with and I str
Kathryn Linke
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

The Final Play is a quick and fast paced read featuring April and Spencer, former best friends.

Misunderstandings, fear and miscommunications kept this pair apart for three years. Reunited for their best friends wedding, they are once again thrown into each other's path.

This second chance romance is a heartwarming, easy and light read that I really enjoyed, I actually would have liked for their story to have been longer as I could have easily kept reading. April and Spencer are not only
Gayle
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Final Play….What a little treasure of a read!

I just loved Final Play. Managing to start and finish it in just one sitting I fell instantly for both Spencer and April.
Their story was one of heartache and pain, but was also one of warmth and love.
A second chance novella that had me smiling bright and feeling all the emotions.

Such a sweet, light, warm-hearted and loving read that I simply adored.
A delightful read that I highly recommend.

5 stars
Gavinsmommaloves2read

This is a cute sweet romance about getting that second chance. April and Spencer both had feeling for Each other but didn't know the other felt the same way. When Spencer gets his dream of playing football she sends him away giving him his dream know there years there both together again for a wedding and she's isn't letting him go again!
Wendy Livingstone
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a new author to me and I will certainly be looking out for her work in the future. Spencer and April had been friends for a long time, but have had no contact with each other for a few years. Now Spencer is back in town for a mutual friends wedding where he is the best man and April is made of honour. Will these two be able to have a second chance? No spoilers, this is a definite must read, you will not be disappointed. This is a well written quick and short read, which is intense, sweet ...more
Janalee
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a short and sweet novella. A second chance romance. As always I really enjoyed reading this authors stories. I would definitely recommend this novella!
Flo Grugel
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Second chance romance.
There really wasn't anything to dislike about the idea of The Final Play but I would have liked a longer story. Spencer and April didn't really give me any feels and I think more of a back story might have helped.
Fiona Chislett
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast easy read. Loved the characters however I felt that it lacked a little depth, substance and emotional pull in the storyline. Whilst there was plenty of drama I would have liked a tad more angst and a little more oomph between Spencer and April
Jamie Chomyc
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for Angel Babe's Blog!!

I really enjoyed this novella!! Sometimes you just need a quick fun short story!! I really love second chance at love stories especially when their best friends turned into lovers ones!! If your looking for a quick read that will make you smile this is the perfect one!!
Tara
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Awesomely fun read. Great story, great characters and a story you don't want to end. Thank you Liz Lovelock for writing and sharing your talent!
Debb
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liz rocks the romance!
Great story, love the characters, just the right amount of angst, laughter and love.
Heart-warming and leaves you with that warm fuzzy feeling.
Brandy Roberts
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought The final Play was a good short second chance romance it really drew me in from start to finish . This would also be the first book that I have had the chance of reading Liz Lovelock and I can't wait to read more by her . It did frustrate me a bit with the back and forth that the couple had I wish it went a little smother between them but I like the end result .
Margaret Neal
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Final Play is a great novella that I read in one sitting.
April and Spencer were best friends in high school, but Spencer left to persure his dream of playing pro football and the two lost contact. April has always been in love with Spencer, but never told him.
Fast forward 3 years later and they are brought back together for a mutual friends wedding.
Will April finally tell Spencer how she feels?
Will Spencer return her feelings?
You will have to read it to find out...
Christine Woinich
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a quick easy read. April and Spencer were interesting, and I enjoyed their interactions together. With each trying to do what they thought was right, and the misunderstandings between them, the journey back together was a bumpy one. It was fun as the other characters pushed them to be together. I enjoyed this story.

I received an ARC of this story through Enticing Journey Book Promotions, and this is my unsolicited review.
Ga Books LoverX
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining short read! The author did a great job of putting a lot of information in just a few chapters, which was really commendable. I never felt as if the novella was rushed or even moved slow, it was just right!

Spencer and April have been plagued with misunderstandings and wrong times and it was almost heartbreakingly so. I cannot go into details, but know that the story moved along at the right pace, the characters definitely had steam, and the situations did feel realistic.

I
Natalie Miernicki
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fabulous love story! Liz is the master of the short story.. how she packs so much emotion and heartfelt feelings into a novella is nothing short of amazing. You’ll fall in love with her characters, they are very real people that everyone can relate to. This story will make you laugh, it will make you cry but one thing it won’t do is disappoint!!
« previous 1 3 next »
Liz is from bright sunny Queensland, Australia. She has always been a reader. When she was little she would be up late reading Garfield and Asterix comic books and also Footrot Flats. When she hit high school she read Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden and from there, her love of books continued to grow. She always has a book to read beside her bed along with a notebook for when inspirati ...more