Start by marking “The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street” as Want to Read:
The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street

The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street

From the bestselling author of E. B. White Read-Aloud Honor Book Liesl & Po comes a timely and relevant adventure story about monsters of all kindsand a girl brave enough to save them.

Cordelia Clay loves the work she and her father do together: saving and healing the remarkable creatures around Boston at the end of the nineteenth century. Their home on Cedar Street is
Published February 11th 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street

Start your review of The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street
Darla
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
At the heart of this book is a reminder that often the worse monsters in the world are the ones who look normal or even beautiful on the outside. This is a good message and I truly enjoyed many parts of the book. Cordelia is a plucky heroine and her new friend, Gregory, is a delightful counterpart in their adventures. At times there is a whimsical quality about the book. At others it was a dismal, depressing mess. The glossary of monsters at the beginning was too long and almost deterred me ...more
Mila
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
The digital arc of this book was kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ website in exchange for an honest review.

The premise and setting for this book were very interesting and yet the story itself wasn't nearly as exciting as it could've been. I still liked the messages this book discussed, like friendship, feeling isolated and loss of your loved ones, but I wasn't a fan of the execution which was frankly quite boring.
Beth
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am an adult that really enjoys middle grade books - they can be so well done, and authors who are good at it tend to have stories that are so inventive and so creative, because they have to keep those with shorter attention spans focused on what they're reading. Such was the case here - a fun, creative story with a lot of heart. A story about family, and friendship, and yes - monsters. How what we often see as "monsters" really aren't, and the true monsters are those who hurt others in the ...more

2.5/5 stars

The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar street is a Middle Grade fantasy book set at the end of the 19th century.

I have really enjoyed many of the author's Young Adult books. Fantasy isn't my favorite genre. But I do like this author. So I was excited to get to read this new book.

The narrator is 12 year old Cordelia (3rd person POV). The story starts out in Boston. Cordelia's father is a veterinarian who saves and heals monsters. But something happens that forces Cordelia to leave her home.
Miss Bookiverse
[2.5 stars]

How is it, that a book entitled "The Magnificent Monsters..." that deals with a father-daughter-team running a shelter for said beings contains so few monsters? Technically they accompany the protagonists throughout their journey and the main conflict of the novel comes down to what makes a monster and how to protect monsters from intolerant humans and yet, none of the creatures stood out to me. They don't have any personality, which is what I look for when I pick up a monster book:
rose
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is very good
Elise
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The only negative thing I can say about this book is that it should've been longer
Carina Olsen
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-i-want
The moment I saw this book on Edelweiss I had to download it. Still months until it is out in the world, but I had to read it as soon as possible. I am so glad I did so. Because this was just my kind of book. Full of magic and monsters. With great characters and such a good writing. I pretty much adored every part of this story.

I'm giving it four stars, as it was almost perfect to me. I had some small issues but nothing big. Found this book to be fast and easy to read. The story was exciting and
Sherry
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: middle grades fantasy fans
Jaime Sanborn
The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
It is time to throw in the towel and admit that this author is just not  for me. :( I have disliked to many of her books and this one was no exception.

Cordelia lives with her father who is a veterinarian but he closed up his normal shop to take care of monsters that nobody knows about. Their whole house is overrun with monsters and Cordelia enjoys taking  care of them with her father. Cordelia doesn't have any friends after an incident with a goblin ruined the one friend she did have. So she was
Tasha
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
There are monsters in the world, though few people believe they are actually real. Cordelia and her father help monsters that get hurt, moving them into their house on Cedar Street. The house is bedraggled and unkempt, but the monsters love it, each one finding their own special space inside. The only place that no one is allowed to enter is Cordelias mothers study which has been forbidden since her disappearance nine years ago. Cordelia is used to a house filled with weird noises, so when she ...more
Jaime Sanborn
Cordelia Clay is the daughter of a veterinarian father and a monsterologist mother. Her father's work was respected and revered by the people in town. Her mother, on the other hand, was treated like a quack and received violent threats from those who disagreed with her studies. Monsterology is the study of monsters. Mrs. Clay believed that animals and monsters came from the same genetic ancestor and that monsters deserved to be treated like they belong on the earth.

A few years back, Cordelia's
Pam
Sometimes the worst monsters we face are other humans.
Cordelia's father is a vet who has closed his practice to take care of injured monsters. He cares for them and keeps them in their home for safety and healing. Cordelia assists. Her mother was killed on a trip to learn more about monsters for the book she was writing. She was a scholar and had published a definitive guide on the types of monsters sharing our world. She was an advocate for existing together.
Her dad and most of the monsters
Elizabeth Mellen
4.5 stars - my six year old monster enthusiast adored this and said it was five stars, and I felt it was a solid four star MG, so Im rounding up.

The monster guide introduction was VERY hard for her to get through and I wish theyd split it to begin each chapter with a little bit about a monster, once we made it into the story, though, she thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

This was a super cute, if heavy handed at times, look at who the real monsters are by a little girl whose father is a
Lynn
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Oliver's beautifully written message here from page 321:

"Who got to say what was beautiful and what wasn't, who was important and who didn't belong, which lives had value and which ones more value? Which lives disappeared like stones down a well, forgotten and ignored, dismissed and vilified because they simply weren't the right shape?"

The timely themes of immigration, discrimination, perception, and the value of all life are woven throughout the tale and will certainly strike a cord
Jill
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
In what certainly seems to be a series opener, Oliver introduces readers to Cordelia, the daughter of parents who study and keep monsters. She could be a long lost niece to Newt Scamander the way the book is set up, with monster info prominently placed at the front, before the story gets underway. Cordelia's mother disappeared into the jungles of Brazil a long time ago , so when her father and the monsters in the house vanish, Cordelia and friends go in search to rescue them. There's a lot of ...more
Jennifer Hill
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cordelia and her farther, Dr. Cornelius Clay, are hunting a hurt dragon. They live in Boston around the Great Depression. After they find the dragon, Cordelias dad goes missing along with all the monsters that were living in their house. Cordelia, along with her friend Gregory, begin searching for clues to her father and the monsters. Along the way Cordelias old friend Elizabeth shows up and together the three of them end up in a situation they may not survive.

Definitely for middle school, her
Cat
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love magical fiction books! This one has monsters (both human kind and critter kind) a good solid mystery of missing parents, adventure (their daughter Cordelia, and her old and new found friends, and an small menagerie of magical monsters set off to find them ((and the other missing monsters!))) Grades 5 and up are going to enjoy this story! Well written and entertaining! It would make a fun film; I hope some studio picks up on it and makes it! Fans of Harry Potter will enjoy this tale.
I
Wendy Thomas
The premise of this book has so much potential and I just kept waiting and waiting and waiting for it to live up to it, but about 2/3 of the way through, I gave up. The pace was just too slow for me.
Quinn
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so interesting! I also loved how it discussed race and racism and how humans can be monsters and what it means to be a monster.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
KidlitUnderground
Monsters, friendship, little-discussed dark bits of turn-of-the-century American history... this book has it all, wrapped up in a dazzling mystery and all the feels.
Jenn
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-won
I won a copy of this book.

It doesn't come out till February 2020, but I'm super happy I got a chance to read this one! It will be well worth buying for kids who are into magical stories like Harry Potter (although, closer to Fantastic Beasts).

Our main character, Cordelia, and her father rehabilitate monsters. One day, Cordelia wakes up and her father and almost all their monsters are gone! She must go on an adventure to find what happened to them.

Grades 3-7.

• From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • After the Flood
  • My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Fish in a Tree
  • Saint X
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • Where the World Ends
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI
  • The Story Collector (The Story Collector #1)
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)
  • My Boyfriend Is a Bear
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 4
Lauren Oliver is the cofounder of media and content development company Glasstown Entertainment, where she serves as the president of production. She is also the New York Times bestselling author of the YA novels Replica, Vanishing Girls, Panic, and the Delirium trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem, which have been translated into more than thirty languages. The film rights to both Replica ...more