Start by marking “All That’s Dead (Logan McRae, #12)” as Want to Read:
All That’s Dead (Logan McRae, #12)

All That’s Dead

(Logan McRae #12)

Scream all you want, no one can hear…

Inspector Logan McRae is looking forward to a nice simple case – something to ease him back into work after a year off on the sick. But the powers-that-be have other ideas…

The high-profile anti-independence campaigner, Professor Wilson, has gone missing, leaving nothing but bloodstains behind. There’s a war brewing between the factions
Published September 3rd 2019 by HarperCollins (first published May 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about All That’s Dead, please sign up.
Kerry Swinnerton I just re-read the last chapter of the previous book, and no, he wasn’t back at work.....he was home, Tara was on the bed playing with the cat when Lo…moreI just re-read the last chapter of the previous book, and no, he wasn’t back at work.....he was home, Tara was on the bed playing with the cat when Logan went home from the hospital. It’s like we missed a year out of his life, during which time he was just on rehabilitation......and working on his garden, and having Tara actually move in with him, be awarded the Queen’s Medal for Bravery and a few other things that should have been addressed either at the end of #11 or in the early part of #12. Quite remiss of MacBride to not continue the back story in a coherent way and just leave us to fill in our own gaps. (less)
Sean Ollett Yes, but why would you. So much back story you will get more joy by starting at book 1.

Start your review of All That’s Dead (Logan McRae, #12)
Maureen
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Inspector Logan McRae has returned to work after a year on sick leave, after being seriously injured in a knife attack, but if he thinks he’ll be eased in gently then he’s in for a shock, because the mother of all cases is awaiting him!

Aberdeen based anti independence campaigner Professor Wilson has gone missing, with only bloodstains in his kitchen to indicate that something sinister has occurred. There are serious tensions between those for and those against Scottish Nationalism, and Wilson (
Paromjit
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This may be the 12th addition to the DI Logan McRae series by Stuart MacBride set in Aberdeen, but I still anticipate the newest book with an eagerness and anticipation that places me amongst the community of readers that are die hard fans of the series. At this stage, I know there is little that will surprise me, but this makes little difference to the huge level of enjoyment that I know I am guaranteed to experience. All the elements I expect are here, the humour, the comic wit, the mayhem, th ...more
Phrynne
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant book in this oh so excellent series! You need a strong stomach for this one though. The murders are all appallingly gruesome. Best if you do not try and visualise them fully!

Logan is at his very best and is currently that most unusual of characters in a crime novel, that is a man with a nice home, a serious, happy relationship, and no problems with alcohol. He also seems to be handling his job in Professional Standards in his usual level headed way.

The whole book revolves arou
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: He brought the torch round, sweeping across the skeleton branches and bone trunks.

A pair of eyes glittered back at him, too far away to make out anything but their reflected glow.

He stayed where he was. 'Stalin? Stalin, that you?'

No answering bark. No response at all. Whatever it was just stayed there, staring at him from the darkness.

'Hmph.' Nicholas pulled his chin up. 'Well, what are you then? A fox, or a badger?'

And that's when he feels it. A .... presence. There's someone behind
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
The Logan McRae series is a favorite series of mine. No one can mix crime and humor as Stuart Macbride and this book is no exception. And, it all starts with a missing body, and that's not the first body to go missing. However, Logan also has to deal with the fact that the cop that runs this investigation has, let's say a black spot on his record. And, now a journalist is threatening to reveal it all. And, to top it all Logan is the one set to help out the investigation because the powers to be ...more
Liz Barnsley
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Every time I review a Stuart Macbride novel I have a terrible time because honestly all I want to do is dance the awesome book dance. Yes it’s a thing in my house, the youngest did one last night having finished the fourth Harry Potter..

Anyway, you can’t see me so I’ll just have to use my words…All That’s Dead is yet another fantastic addition to this series, completely gripping first page to last, irreverently hilarious and also dark as you like.

Our favourite characters are back doing their own
Gary
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 12th book in the Logan McRae series by author Stuart MacBride. I have read all of these books but could easily be read as a stand alone. The Logan McRae series is set in Aberdeen.
Inspector Logan McRae is back at work after a year off on the sick and looking forward to an easy case to ease him back into the daily grind. But his bosses have different ideas.
Professor Wilson an high profile anti-independence campaigner has gone missing, leaving nothing but bloodstains behind. There’s a w
Rosemary Standeven
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is probably one of the best police procedural/crime novels that I have ever read. It is my first Stuart MacBride book, but it definitely will not be my last.
Scotland has survived two referenda. In the first they voted against independence, believing the “Better Together” campaign. So, in the second – the EU referendum – they also voted to remain together, and were royally shafted by the English nationalists, who decided that it was OK for the English to vote to “take back control”, but
Kirsty ❤️
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes bloggers get a bad rep because they get books for free but these comments don't factor in that sometimes you get a book for free, love it so much that you end up going out and buying an authors entire back catalogue which is what happened with me when I read  MacBride's A Dark So Deadly at the back end of 2017. When this is released I'll be going out and adding it to the collection because it's equally as good as all the others I've read so far.

I love the characterisations in these bo
Sandy
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tom Mc Kenna
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is #12 of the Logan McRae series and still going strong with both characterizations and plot development. I have come to love and appreciate the quirky if not downright absurd shenanigans of Logan's slightly off kilter cohorts or maybe crew of knuckleheads would be a better description. These characters lend much needed comic relief to an intense and dark police procedural. Let's just say MacBride writes Logan as one who is a magnet for weirdos both in his professional and personal life.
Kate
Stuart MacBride can do no wrong in my eyes. His novels always feature in my top five books of the year. All That's Dead is fantastic, pure and simple, and for all of the reasons that make Stuart MacBride my favourite crime writer - outstanding, unforgettable characters; clever, witty writing; gripping, shocking mysteries; and that special indefinable something that is irresistible. Not to mention Roberta Steel. Superb. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
RG
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
While I enjoy MacBrides writing and humour mixed with his crime. I'm losing my fondness for some characters. I think I might retire this series as I feel like the series has bit a formulaic trend.
Eva
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Few things get me as excited as the arrival of a new Logan McRae book so as soon as my pre-order arrived, I dropped everything and settled in for what I was sure would be an entertaining afternoon.

On his first day back at work after a year long absence, Logan McRae is hoping for a nice and easy ride but luck is not on his side. High-profile and anti-independence campaigner Professor Wilson goes missing from his home and that’s just the start of a major shit-storm all over the place. Social media
Siobhan
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Logan McRae is one of my favourite fictional detectives, and I’m always eager to dive into a Stuart MacBride book. With All That’s Dead, we have a great addition to the series that will have you happy to devour the story.

Although this one is a bit more political than I would have liked, it was an addictive story filled with what Stuart MacBride does best. It’s a story with many layers, ensuring you’re hooked on all that is playing out. The humour is great, ensuring you’ll giggle away at the even
Elaine
Well this may be the twelfth in the series but it is a new one to me and I really need to catch up on the earlier books. I found this to be an enthralling, occasionally humorous and enthralling read, a brilliant crime thriller with fantastic characters and plenty of twists to keep me guessing!

Inspector Logan McRae is returning to work a year after being stabbed and seriously injured. He's anticipating a gentle re-introduction to work but the disappearance of a vocal, acerbic anti-independence ca
Hans
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The banter is there as always. But it's becoming a bit repetitive. The thrilling aspect starts very very slowly and is rather political. It took me quite a while to get into this story.
Karen
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Any author who starts out a blurb with "darkness is coming" and then gives Logan McRae a happy home life needs a damn good glaring at. The only saving grace is that things are typically shit creek / broken paddle at work so it's not a massive glaring at...

Book number 12 in the Logan McRae series, ALL THAT'S DEAD, finds him still an Inspector in Professional Standards, sucked into an ongoing murder investigation when the lead investigator is himself about to be outed by the papers as a member of
Elaine Tomasso
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction for an advance copy of All That’s Dead, the twelfth novel to feature DI Logan MacRae of Police Scotland.

Logan returns to a job in Professional Standards after a year off on invalidity. To ease him in he is asked to investigate DI King who is facing exposure in the press. It should be a simple job but DI King is investigating the disappearance of staunch and combative anti independence campaigner Professor Nicholas Wilson. As Log
Lou
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All That's Dead is the twelfth book in the DI Logan McRae series and although most series' would be running out of steam at this point, this is as fresh and captivating as the first ones. The dark sardonic humour is as great as ever and helps break up the brutal crimes and investigation into the two killers by giving the reader some light relief. MacBride has an army of devotees who appreciate the character-driven narrative he creates and each member of the cast is detailed and three-dimensional ...more
Ed
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
"All That's Dead" might also include me after struggling through this tedious tartan crime story. Having read most of this highly entertaining series, this one didn't do it for me. I like all the characters, Logan, Rennie, Tufty, "Milky" Way and the very funny Roberta Steel, etc. but they all seemed to get in each others way desperately trying to find a kidnapped Unionist Professor. It gets political as the search boggs down in endless meetings and dialogue with upper management of Police Scotla ...more
Craig Sisterson
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scottish, crime
Stuart MacBride has built a strong crime writing reputation on his adroit blending of gruesome crimes and gallows humour, delving into dark places without dwelling too long without a laugh or two in the pages too.

Sometimes those strong threads of brutality and banter can make it easy to overlook that he's also got a great touch for character and character relationships in his storytelling, and bringing the setting and some relevant social issues to life. All of that is well on show in his twelf
gem
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another rip-roaring novel from the incomparable Stuart MacBride. Since I started reading his novels about five years ago I have eagerly awaited each and every instalment and he never fails to produce a book that utterly grips me.

I love the reoccurring characters of Logan, Steel, Tufty and Rennie, and the camaraderie between them makes me laugh out loud the entire way through and brings beings a lightness to what otherwise are incredibly grim tales...

The story line for this book is very topic
Sean
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Received ARC copy from Harper Collins and Netgalley for honest read and review.
This is such a good book,I could not out it down.It had me hooked from the very beginning and kept going until the end

Logan is such a wonderful character that you cannot help feeling sorry for him as he tries to solve the murders of some prominent people with the aid of some rather outlandish police characters especially Tufty....

Very good story and it was such a joy to read that I cannot wait to read more in the seri
Nicky Mottram
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audio version of this book 📚-LOVED LOVED LOVED this book ! Another cracking read in a great series, can’t wait for the next one!! Narrator brilliant, really captures the characters personalities and brings them to life !!
Lesley
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing I don't love about Stuart McBride's writing (and use of the Aberdonian dialect!), and the stories of Logan McRae and his cohorts.

Full stop :)
Leah
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2020
Back in the club...

Logan McRae has just returned to work after a year off on the sick because of serious knife wounds he received in his last case. Still part of the Professional Standards team, McRae is tasked with looking into a claim that a now senior officer was once involved with a Nationalist terrorist cell. But no sooner has he contacted the officer, DI Frank King, than King is called out to a horrific crime scene – the blood-soaked kitchen of Professor Nicholas Wilson, a prominent and ob
Jannelies
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of MacBride because I love his style, I love his plots and I love his leading characters. I'm a little sad now after reading All That's Dead because it just didn't work so well for me. The 4 starts are of course because the style and the characters are the same. It's the plot I'm having a problem with. I think it is because I'm not British or Scottish but I just couldn't relate to this book because it was more about politics than anything else.
What I thought very funny is the fact
Lainy
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 2 days

Pages -400

Publisher - Harper Collins

Source - Netgalley

Blurb from Goodreads

The stunning new Logan McRae thriller from No. 1 Sunday Times bestseller Stuart MacBride.

Scottish crime fiction at its very best.

Darkness is coming…

Inspector Logan McRae was looking forward to a nice simple case – something to ease him back into work after a year off on the sick. But the powers-that-be have other ideas…

The high-profile anti-independence campaigner, Professor Wilson, has gon
Dimitris Passas (TapTheLine)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Stuart MacBride that I've read and I will certainly look for more of his great Logan McRae novel series. The Scottish author uses a well-crafted and measured prose full of humor that gives "All That's Dead" a unique feeling as the comical elements offer relief to the reader who indulges in a grisly storyline that sets off when a middle-aged professor and fierce anti-independence campaigner goes missing.

What I found most interesting about this book was the socio-politica
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Bury Them Deep (Inspector McLean #10)
  • Their Little Secret (Tom Thorne, #16)
  • Nothing to Hide (DC Constance Fairchild, #2)
  • Dead at First Sight (Roy Grace, #15)
  • A Whisper of Sorrows (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #6)
  • Blood and Treachery (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #4)
  • A Breath on Dying Embers
  • Cold as the Grave (Inspector McLean #9)
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • Thicker than Water (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #2)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • The Big Man Upstairs (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #7)
  • Jeremiah's Bell
  • The Last Bloody Straw (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #5)
  • In Plain Sight (Detective Clare Mackay, #2)
  • See Them Run (Detective Clare Mackay, #1)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
Aka Stuart B. MacBride

The life and times of a bearded write-ist.

Stuart MacBride (that's me) was born in Dumbarton -- which is Glasgow as far as I'm concerned -- moving up to Aberdeen at the tender age of two, when fashions were questionable. Nothing much happened for years and years and years: learned to play the recorder, then forgot how when they changed from little coloured dots to proper musi

Logan McRae (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3)
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5)
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, #8)
  • The Missing and the Dead (Logan McRae, #9)
  • In the Cold Dark Ground (Logan McRae, #10)