Start by marking “The Hunt” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Disgraced detective turned private investigator, Ray Clancy, left the force with a case unsolved. Finding the killer was no longer his problem, but it still haunted him. How long would he survive the frustration of not knowing before he gave into the compulsion of his nature to solve the crime?

Server, Andrew Shay, existed where he didn’t feel he belonged, living behind th
Published September 15th 2018 by Hostile Whispers Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunt

Simone
***3.5 Stars***

Three men entangled in a game of cat and mouse...

Ray Clancy, a disgraced cop with a shady past, now working as a PI and still obsessed with a murder case he couldn't solve, finds himself back in the game when the killer suddenly resumes his killing spree by murdering young gay men with ties to a club.

Andy Shay, a young waiter in a fancy restaurant, breaks in on someone murdering his roommate in the most gruesome way and suddenly finds himself in the crosshairs of a serial ki
Barbara➰
After being framed for taking a bribe, ex-cop, Ray Clancy, has been spending his time following cheating spouses. He still can't forget the cases he was working on and how the police were not taking it seriously. When the murders start popping up again and there's a witness, server, Andy Shay contacts Ray for help. The attraction between these two is immediate but Andy's life is in danger and Ray is still trying to solve the murders.

I enjoyed this for the most part. I loved grumpy Ray and sweet
Volha
This was a wonderful treat. It was suspenseful, intense and a page turner. I liked both MCs, their individual characteristics complementing each others. There is insecurity and vulnerability in both, and their relationship is not certain but in a midst of danger they find peace in each others' arms.

Ray Clancy is an ex-cop who was ousted from police force by another dirty cop. He is trying to put his life back together. He was good at what he did, and he misses the thrill of the chase, that adren
WhatAStrangeDuck
Do you know that feeling when it seems that you read a different book than everybody else? That always makes me doubt myself but no, everybody else loves it, and I don't. That's the plain and simple truth. Mind you, that doesn't mean that I'm right and all the four and five stars are wrong but still, here we are. It was ok. Two stars. My opinion.

It always seems a little unfair to compare different books but I think I might have enjoyed "The Hunt" more if I hadn't just a couple of days ago finish
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
3.5⭐

I liked this book (it was my first time with both those authors) and I found it very enjoyable, it took me a couple of hours to finish it. The mystery is involving and the pace is good. The mcs are a little too much 2d-ish, they are portrayed only superficially and the romance, lovely, isn't deeply shown (and also all the sex is off page, and that's ok).
I would recommend this one if you love good mysteries with a touch of romance and a lovely HEA!

And I'd love to read Bradford's story, prett
Amanda
The Hunt is a strong romantic suspense, in fact I find myself more intrigued with the serial killer case from the beginning. Ray is the hardened by life ex-cop who had seen too much and tired of all the bullshit, but he is relentless about solving the murders of the young gay men in the city. Andy is a server who witnessed the murder of his roommate and decided to call upon Ray to help him.

I love the suspense plot of the story, which detailed Ray's investigative work and the paranoia that cloud
Chris
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-crime, mm
This was an enjoyable read. A killer on the loose, lots of solid characters.. but just lacked a little depth for me. This really had the potential to be a “hold your breath” thriller. An easy read if you like a taste of crime 😊
Zuzu
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Huh. Talk about disappointing. I was all set to like this book because the blurb sounded really interesting. And let me preface this by saying I don't mind insta-love AT ALL, but this just didn't ring true. I felt no connection between the MC's. In fact, I felt no emotion while reading this book. The love scenes weren't emotional or sexy to me. Even the descriptions of the killings were unemotional.

I've not read any books by either of these authors, so maybe they aren't for me. I don't know. Bu
Nicole
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ray Clancy was framed for something he didn’t do because of his past. None of his colleagues on the force backed him up, so he could do nothing else but take a deal and continue as a PI, leaving behind a serial killer case he was looking into.

Andrew Shay a server at a very nice restaurant and finally out of debt, returns home to find his roommate brutally murdered and the killer still inside. The police doesn’t do anything and they don’t even acknowledge that there is a serial killer on the loo
Jenny Wood
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy thriller, batman…. this one was a doozy!

Ok, now I’m a huge Dabney fan, so I knew this one was going to be a good one, but it’s so different from her other reads, I didn’t know what to expect when she collabed with someone I’d never read before. So, we started out with Ray, who was a good detective in a cesspool of shady people. Being framed for a crime that he didn’t commit, I’ve gotta say, wasn’t a good start for me…. If you read any of my reviews, you’ve gotta know my biggest pet peeve is
Deeze
Sorry to say this one didn't work for me at all.

The romance was too forced for me. They met and fell in love but I blinked and missed the how and when.

The crime parts were so muddled with bad guys that were good but bad and good guys that were bad. While I'm sure the climatic ending might of worked in an action movie, in a story I was just left groaning and shaking my head at the simplicity of it all.

Seeing each chapter through alternate between Ray and Andy mostly OK as long as I remembered
Mimi
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it

Great first read from both authors. The suspense was excellent and the characters matched each other perfectly. A cop with a shady background but a good moral compass makes for a great read.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

Stefanie
Sep 17, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
Ik vind het gek dat het boek zulke goede reviews heeft. Zelf vond ik de manier van schrijven af en toe echt kinderachtig en kwamen handelingen gewoon ongeloofwaardig over. Na 106/235 pagina’s gestopt met lezen.
JR
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being a crime/mystery fan this book was an enjoyable read. I would have wished for more depth in the characters, but it was a good read. If you like this genre, you will like this.
Heather
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Accused of something he didn't do, Ray Clancy opened his own private investigation office after leaving the force with a case of brutal killings unsolved. Andrew Shay returns to his apartment one night after work to find his roommate and friend killed and the killer still lurking. With the cops seemingly not doing everything they can, Andrew finds Ray and hires him. Will the disgraced cop and scared server be able to solve the mystery and find the killer before the killer finds them? Can one fin ...more
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller, m-m
"When Andy called me for help, getting involved with him hadn't ever crossed my mind, but I didn't care."

Yeah, it didn't ever cross your mind for about five seconds. Stop lying to yourself, Ray.

A third into this book, I already knew I didn't like the writing style. Considering that, I probably should have stopped then. But I didn't. Not because I cared about any of the characters, but because I'd dnf'd a few books before that, so I refused to add another one to that list so quickly.

Ray is a down
JoAnn
Such a sweet book.

Andy is a young man who’s just starting to get things in his life pulled together when one night he finds his best friend and roommate murdered and the killer still on his home. The cops appear to be no help and aren’t worried about the killer possibly coming after him. When he looks into prior murders he finds the name of an ex cop turned PI that may just be his saving grace.

Ray was pushed out of the department on a frame job and is now trying to make it as a PI. When an old
Jennie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Andy and Ray are thrown together due to terrible circumstances. Ray is doing his best to keep Andy safe amid the growing attraction between to two. Andy is scared but feels much safer with Ray.

Together they are putting the pieces of the puzzle together and trying to figure it out while falling for each other.

I found this to be a great, fast paced murder mystery.
Tracy Perry
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fanfreakingtastic! The book sucks you in, your so in trapped & can't wait to turn page to see what happens next. It's so good & suspenseful & your heart is in your throat & the tears come, OMG... So thrilling! A Must Read!!
Heather Martin
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Hunt

**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.**

The Hunt is co-written by J.M. Dabney and Davidson King. I’ve read books by J.M. before but not Davidson and when they released a murder mystery, I was excited to read it. I’m a big fan of murder mystery/crime drama books and find myself reading them more than any other genre or trope lately. I was really looking forward to this book, and though I didn’t love it
Melanie
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4.5 Stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-eLv

From that review: "When I think of those memorable noir detectives I grew up with (of paper novels and of course film), they have that distinct voice, that precise background that marks them as one of the most complex and compelling characters ever to draw a reader in.  That noir private investigator who usually was once a cop.  Or in this case a Detective.  They are bitter abou
Dee
Engaging romantic suspense!

4.5 stars!
Ray is a former policeman who was forced out of the force on trumped up charges. He is, by his own admission, not the friendliest person, but he is not dirty. Before Ray was forced out, there was a case that he was unable to solve - the murders of young, gay men.
Andy is a young man who works at a restuarant. When he inadvertently walks in on a murder, he contacts Ray due to the similarity of the murder to past cases.
Ray and Andy are immediately drawn to eac
Jacey Jeffrey
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book!!! This is the story of Andy and Ray. Ray is a former cop that was framed by his corrupt police captain. He is now working as a PI and is just bitter at life. Andy is a waiter at a fancy establishment who works hard to keep his head afloat. When he witnesses his best friend and roommate's murder he doesn't know who to trust and who to turn to for help. An internet search leads him to Ray and they connect. When they meet there is a connection that they can't deny. Ray i ...more
kathleen
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took me on one hell of a ride! The Hunt has all the key elements that make for a spectacular thriller/romance story. Thankfully I started this book early in the day because there is no way I would have stopped reading until I had reached the very end of this story.

The two main characters are a study in contrast. Ray is the older, disillusioned ex cop who has seen it all. Andy is the younger more trusting guy that still sees life’s possibilities.
They are brought together when Andy witne
Ramona
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Ray was a good cop, working a serial killer case when he was forced to quit after he was framed for taking a bribe. Being a PI wasn’t his life goal but that is what he was stuck with.

Andy’s life goal certainly wasn’t being a waiter. He wanted more but doesn’t have the money to get there.When Andy walks in on a man killing his roommate. He runs and winds up with Ray protecting him.

While Ray hunts for the man that’s murdering young gay men they grow very close. Ray is given a chance to go back to
Tina

I was getting tired of that question. How am I doing? Every answer I had would turn out to be nothing but a lie. Although, the truth wasn’t much better"

I loooove Davidson King & J.M. Dabney books, so I have no doubt that they would write one hell of a badass book together! And of course, they did NOT disappoint, this was such an AMAZING book! So worth the wait!

Plz tell me Bradford gets his own book? Pretty please with a cherry on top.

Treena Ross - Rockstar Book Muse
Recommends it for: Suspense Fiction Readers
4 STARS

What an emotional roller coaster for this SUSPENSE/romance I highlight the suspense because it was more that then the romance.

Two characters from different worlds come together to help solve a murder. Ray gruff grumpy hardened by his life as a detective but he is set to help serve and find out what is happening to all the murdered gay men in his town. Andy quiet young and they come together to sort out this mess. Their attraction to each other was immediate and undeniable and together the
Karen Edwards
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Andy witnesses the murder of his roommate, he turns to the one man who he thinks can protect him, Ray Clancy. Ray and Andrew are great together. I totally loved these two characters. Every once in a while I totally enjoy a good murder/mystery/thriller, and this one fits the bill. It kept me guessing until the end. If your a fan of JM Dabney and Davidson King and don't mind a great "who done it," I urge you to give this one a try. I'm not sure if there will be anymore books like this from th ...more
Paula´s  ShortReview
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: age-gap, mm
Qué chasco de libro!!! Es un quiero y no puedo, y por supuesto no lo consigo.
No es novela negra porque no consigue transmitir el ambiente, no es de crimen porque aunque hay muertos, la historia parece secundaria pues pasa los hechos como por encima sin profundizar, no es romántica porque no hay feeling alguno entre los personajes y además son tan planos.... y para más INRI la obra peca totalmente de falta de cohesión por lo que acabas desenganchándote del trama y te acaba importando "tres pitos"
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
By day, she's an introverted cook hiding out in her kitchen in the middle of nowhere Ohio, by night and any free time she may have, she is a writer of mainly LGBTQ Fiction and Erotica. Although. she's equal opportunity when it comes to telling a story, she'll even write a bit of straight erotic romance when the mood strikes.

She has been writing for years in old notebooks. At the age of eight, she