Start by marking “The Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Hunt

The Hunt

Disgraced detective turned private investigator, Ray Clancy, left the force with a case unsolved. Finding the killer was no longer his problem, but it still haunted him. How long would he survive the frustration of not knowing before he gave into the compulsion of his nature to solve the crime?

Server, Andrew Shay, existed where he didn’t feel he belonged, living behind th
Published September 15th 2018 by Hostile Whispers Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunt

Start your review of The Hunt
Shile

In my defense!

description

MC: 1 – Ray Clancy – Disgraced cop turned PI

MC 2 - Andrew Shay – Waiter

The story started ok, building, I am there telling myself, finally a great serial killer mm book. YAY!

Everything should have worked, we have a disgraced cop turn PI - Ray, a serial killer on the loose and Andy a younger guy/serial killer target as the love interest. See? This combo makes my blood boil, stomach churn and everything in between. The story had that film noir, AE feel. I was an excited ba
Lorraine Lesar
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn’t see that shocker!

A Serial Killer is on a killing spree. It was Detective Ray Clancy’s job to track him down and The Hunt was on 😉.
He’s a dam good detective, but with his shady background and even more shadier ‘friends’ from his younger days, he’s not really trusted by his fellow detectives or his superiors.
Then he’s ‘set up’, forced to resign and now working as a P.I.
Andy Shay saw the dead and mutilated body of his flatmate and the Serial Killer....saw him.
Can Ray remain professional,
Simone
***3.5 Stars***

Three men entangled in a game of cat and mouse...

Ray Clancy, a disgraced cop with a shady past, now working as a PI and still obsessed with a murder case he couldn't solve, finds himself back in the game when the killer suddenly resumes his killing spree by murdering young gay men with ties to a club.

Andy Shay, a young waiter in a fancy restaurant, breaks in on someone murdering his roommate in the most gruesome way and suddenly finds himself in the crosshairs of a ser
Barbara➰
After being framed for taking a bribe, ex-cop, Ray Clancy, has been spending his time following cheating spouses. He still can't forget the cases he was working on and how the police were not taking it seriously. When the murders start popping up again and there's a witness, server, Andy Shay contacts Ray for help. The attraction between these two is immediate but Andy's life is in danger and Ray is still trying to solve the murders.

I enjoyed this for the most part. I loved grumpy Ray and sweet
~Volha~
This was a wonderful treat. It was suspenseful, intense and a page turner. I liked both MCs, their individual characteristics complementing each others. There is insecurity and vulnerability in both, and their relationship is not certain but in a midst of danger they find peace in each others' arms.

Ray Clancy is an ex-cop who was ousted from police force by another dirty cop. He is trying to put his life back together. He was good at what he did, and he misses the thrill of the chase, that adren
WhatAStrangeDuck
Do you know that feeling when it seems that you read a different book than everybody else? That always makes me doubt myself but no, everybody else loves it, and I don't. That's the plain and simple truth. Mind you, that doesn't mean that I'm right and all the four and five stars are wrong but still, here we are. It was ok. Two stars. My opinion.

It always seems a little unfair to compare different books but I think I might have enjoyed "The Hunt" more if I hadn't just a couple of days ago finish
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
3.5⭐

I liked this book (it was my first time with both those authors) and I found it very enjoyable, it took me a couple of hours to finish it. The mystery is involving and the pace is good. The mcs are a little too much 2d-ish, they are portrayed only superficially and the romance, lovely, isn't deeply shown (and also all the sex is off page, and that's ok).
I would recommend this one if you love good mysteries with a touch of romance and a lovely HEA!

And I'd love to read Bradford's story, prett
Zuzu
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Huh. Talk about disappointing. I was all set to like this book because the blurb sounded really interesting. And let me preface this by saying I don't mind insta-love AT ALL, but this just didn't ring true. I felt no connection between the MC's. In fact, I felt no emotion while reading this book. The love scenes weren't emotional or sexy to me. Even the descriptions of the killings were unemotional.

I've not read any books by either of these authors, so maybe they aren't for me. I don't know. Bu
Amanda
The Hunt is a strong romantic suspense, in fact I find myself more intrigued with the serial killer case from the beginning. Ray is the hardened by life ex-cop who had seen too much and tired of all the bullshit, but he is relentless about solving the murders of the young gay men in the city. Andy is a server who witnessed the murder of his roommate and decided to call upon Ray to help him.

I love the suspense plot of the story, which detailed Ray's investigative work and the paranoia that cloud
Denise H.
***** We have older guy Ray, ex-cop, now P.I. who is still interested in the gruesome serial murders. Ray...

A recent witness and hard working nice young man,
Andy,

isn't happy with the police protection and calls Ray.
Now they are both swept up in the process, the new murders, and more are coming.

It's a tense investigation, with trouble on every corner. The killer is leaving messages.

Is this wacko after Andy? Ray calls in some favors from the old days, and things get complicated.

This is a t
Chris
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. A killer on the loose, lots of solid characters.. but just lacked a little depth for me. This really had the potential to be a “hold your breath” thriller. An easy read if you like a taste of crime 😊
Joyfully Jay
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

The Hunt is an entertaining mystery/suspense story that grabbed me right away. We are thrown into the action from the start and can really feel Andy’s fear as barely escapes the murderer and knows he is likely in the killer’s sights. The mystery unfolds nicely and I liked the way we see Ray work his back channels since he is not officially on the case. Ray has a checkered past and it was kind of fun to see him team up with the bad guys for the greater good. The stor
Tamara
Everything was going really good. Definitely 4 or 5 star read and then the twist. The twist really didn't make any sense.
Nicole
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ray Clancy was framed for something he didn’t do because of his past. None of his colleagues on the force backed him up, so he could do nothing else but take a deal and continue as a PI, leaving behind a serial killer case he was looking into.

Andrew Shay a server at a very nice restaurant and finally out of debt, returns home to find his roommate brutally murdered and the killer still inside. The police doesn’t do anything and they don’t even acknowledge that there is a serial killer on the loo
Jenny Wood
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy thriller, batman…. this one was a doozy!

Ok, now I’m a huge Dabney fan, so I knew this one was going to be a good one, but it’s so different from her other reads, I didn’t know what to expect when she collabed with someone I’d never read before. So, we started out with Ray, who was a good detective in a cesspool of shady people. Being framed for a crime that he didn’t commit, I’ve gotta say, wasn’t a good start for me…. If you read any of my reviews, you’ve gotta know my biggest pet peeve is
Deeze
Sorry to say this one didn't work for me at all.

The romance was too forced for me. They met and fell in love but I blinked and missed the how and when.

The crime parts were so muddled with bad guys that were good but bad and good guys that were bad. While I'm sure the climatic ending might of worked in an action movie, in a story I was just left groaning and shaking my head at the simplicity of it all.

Seeing each chapter through alternate between Ray and Andy mostly OK as long as I remembered
Becca
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn what a thriller! What a book of suspense! I completely loved it.
Caz
I've given this a B/D+ for the narration (Graves/Thom respectively) and a C- for content at AudioGals.

Both J.M. Dabney and Davidson King are new-to-me authors, and I confess I picked up their latest collaboration, The Hunt, mostly because Kirt Graves is one of the narrators. The other, Tor Thom, is a name I’ve seen cropping up more and more frequently of late, and I wanted to try something of his – but the jury’s still out. My initial impression, from the first few minutes, was not at all favour
Tania
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
It was alright, but it didn't really made me care for the characters. The writing was kind of bold, for my taste. The transition from chapter to chapter wasn't smooth and how the story was written... How the characters told the story, it just didn't feel smooth. I can't describe it any better at the moment. The mystery was okay, but did have more potential.
Annika
Audiobook review

3,5 stars

Let’s go hunting for a serial killer shall we? A vicious serial killer is mutilating young and pretty gay men across town. (Most) of the police force is turning a blind eye, but detective Ray Clancy isn’t one of them and he’s determined to put a stop to the killer before more bodies turn up. That is until he is framed for a crime he didn’t commit and subsequently kicked off the force.

Now six months later he’s started his own private investigator’s firm, but he’s gettin
Mimi
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it

Great first read from both authors. The suspense was excellent and the characters matched each other perfectly. A cop with a shady background but a good moral compass makes for a great read.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

JR
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being a crime/mystery fan this book was an enjoyable read. I would have wished for more depth in the characters, but it was a good read. If you like this genre, you will like this.
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, mystery-thriller
"When Andy called me for help, getting involved with him hadn't ever crossed my mind, but I didn't care."

Yeah, it didn't ever cross your mind for about five seconds. Stop lying to yourself, Ray.

A third into this book, I already knew I didn't like the writing style. Considering that, I probably should have stopped then. But I didn't. Not because I cared about any of the characters, but because I'd dnf'd a few books before that, so I refused to add another one to that list so quickly.

Ray is a down
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was AWFUL. The plot was ridiculous, the insta-love was annoying, and the sex scenes were so lame, my grandmother could have written hotter stuff than this....and she's dead. DNF'ed at ~85% because I just could NOT finish it.
Candice
LOVE!!!! I'll write up a full review later (hopefully).
Heather
Audiobook Review March 2020:
There's really nothing I can add to my original review from 2018 as to the story, characters, plot, etc but I will say, knowing the ending didn't take away even a second of enjoyment or lessen my need to reach that end. The adrenaline rush was just as strong and had me on the edge of my seat listening to Ray and Andrew's journey the same as when I originally read The Hunt.

As for the narration, I can't say I have experience with either Kirt Graves or Tor Thom so I can'
Heather
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: davidson-king
Accused of something he didn't do, Ray Clancy opened his own private investigation office after leaving the force with a case of brutal killings unsolved. Andrew Shay returns to his apartment one night after work to find his roommate and friend killed and the killer still lurking. With the cops seemingly not doing everything they can, Andrew finds Ray and hires him. Will the disgraced cop and scared server be able to solve the mystery and find the killer before the killer finds them? Can one fin ...more
Claudia Lezár
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
3,5*

PLEASE READ MY RATING SYSTEM!!!

To my ratings:

‘Love’s Tethered Heart’ from C.L. Etta or
'Liberty' from Seth King),
it's like an A+

4* - very good and will be often reread and is a
WOW-book with interesting plot and surprises
(like most of Andrew Grey’s books)
it's like an A

3,5* - a really good book, which will be reread a few
times a year
JoAnn
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet book.

Andy is a young man who’s just starting to get things in his life pulled together when one night he finds his best friend and roommate murdered and the killer still on his home. The cops appear to be no help and aren’t worried about the killer possibly coming after him. When he looks into prior murders he finds the name of an ex cop turned PI that may just be his saving grace.

Ray was pushed out of the department on a frame job and is now trying to make it as a PI. When an old
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• From These Ashes (Haven Hart Universe #4)
  • Snow Storm (Haven Hart Universe, #5)
  • Triple Threat (Haven Hart Universe #6)
  • A Dangerous Dance (Haven Hart Universe #3)
  • Hug It Out (Haven Hart Universe, #2)
  • Raven's Hart (Haven Hart Universe #7)
  • Snow Falling (Haven Hart Universe, #1)
  • Sadistic Sherlock (Ward Security, #4)
  • Sticky Fingers
  • Within the Mind (In the Mind, #1)
  • Deadly Lover (Exit Strategy #1)
  • Remote Access (Thick as Thieves, #1)
  • Ricochet (Out for Justice #1)
  • Pros & Cons of Vengeance (Pros & Cons #1)
  • Badlands (Badlands, #1)
  • A Light in the Darkness (In Darkness #2)
  • What Lies Beneath (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)
J.M. Dabney is a multi-genre author who writes Body Positive/Diverse Romance and Fiction. They live with a constant diverse cast of characters in their head. No matter their size, shape, race, etc. J.M. lives for one purpose alone, and that’s to make sure they do them justice and give them the happily ever after they deserve. J.M. is dysfunction at its finest and they makes sure their characters a ...more

News & Interviews