Start by marking “There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)” as Want to Read:
There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)

There Will Come a Darkness

(Age of Darkness #1)

The Age of Darkness approaches.
Five lives stand in its way.
Who will stop it... or unleash it?

For generations, the Seven Prophets guided humanity. Using their visions of the future, they ended wars and united nations―until the day, one hundred years ago, when the Prophets disappeared.

All they left behind was one final, secret prophecy, foretelling an Age of Darkness and th
Expected publication: September 3rd 2019 by Henry Holt Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about There Will Come a Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Will Come a Darkness

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Stories with multi ethnic groups of different characters with differing sexual orientations thrown together by mission or circumstance are my kryptonite and I'm practically vibrating in my seat waiting for this book

A prince exiled from his kingdom.
A ruthless killer known as the Pale Hand.
A once-faithful leader torn between his duty and his heart.
A reckless gambler with the power to find anything or anyone.
And a dying girl on the verge of giving up.
Vicky Who Reads
Sep 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
okay exciting!!! more information has come out!!! a cover is here!!!

GIVE ME ALL THE ENSEMBLE CASTS AHHHHHH
Sebastien Castell
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I was fortunate enough to be given an advanced copy of this fantasy debut by Katy Rose Pool.

There Will Come A Darkness is the first part of what promises to be a very popular epic fantasy series. In many ways it reminded me of Guy Gavriel Kay for the depth of the settings and cultures into which we enter, especially in how perspectives differ for each of the five main characters depending on their own backgrounds. This is a richly-developed world of magic and intrigue, with a diverse cast featur
Julie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a master class in fantasy world-building!

My official review:

"A sweeping, ambitious fantasy that pulled me into a world of corruption, dark prophecy, and ultimately, hope. The breathlessly paced story and well-rendered ensemble cast gripped me until the very last pages." - Julie C. Dao, author of FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
Cassie Stever
Jun 07, 2019 marked it as most-anticipated
this sounds so fucking good and I’m here for all of it.
Candace Robinson
I love the cover and title so much but I just could not get into this story. I actually did like the multiple POVs and the writing but the fantasy aspect I couldn’t connect with either. However, I may try and reread it again in the future.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
March 2019: AHHHHHHHHHHHH YES TO THIS COVER!

Someone says "Prophecy"

Me: *appears* I've been summoned?
Kat Cho
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So lucky I got to read an early version of this book! A fresh, intricate and beautiful new fantasy world. If you love classic epic fantasies but also hunger for a fresh take, then you'll love this book. Beautiful world building, deep and flawed and wonderful characters that will make your heart ache, and action that had me holding my breath! I cannot wait to read more in this series.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
2/6/19
Six of Crows and Graceling name drop, sounds like a lot to live up to. Fingers crossed this is good!
---
I see Darkness and prophecy so I gotta add it to the pile
Amanda
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore this story! This world and these characters pull you in and it truly feels like you're a part of it! The level of detail and perfect pacing provide an exquisite experience, and the characters refuse to leave your mind long after you finish it. I can't wait for this book to hit shelves!
Lea (drumsofautumn)
SIX OF CROWS MEETS GRACELING

gif of woman fainting
Mara Fitzgerald
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was blessed to read an early draft of this. THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS has a classic fantasy feel with updated sensibilities (probably my favorite genre ever tbh). It's set in a rich, expansive world, with multiple POVs that all come together in complicated and surprising ways. It has two sisters who will do anything for each other (and I mean like, they'll do really bad stuff, and you'll root for it the whole time), a very competent warrior girl, and a LOT of sweet confused boys. Fall 2019 ca ...more
saaj
May 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
A prince exiled from his kingdom.
A ruthless killer known as the Pale Hand.
A once-faithful leader torn between his duty and his heart.
A reckless gambler with the power to find anything or anyone.
And a dying girl on the verge of giving up.

shut up shut up this sounds so good but i'm lowkey getting some major soc vibes
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
I am in need of a new fantasy series to get pumped up about and I have a feeling that this is going to be it. I am intrigued by these 5 characters already. So looking forward to finding out how things will unfold.
Grace Li
Shelves: yes
This is the kind of book that will settle into your bones. The world is intricate, thoughtful, and heartbreaking, and I love every member of this wonderful, messy cast. What a privilege it has been to read and love this book.
Rachel
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy heartbreak, damn. This was a very imaginative and action-packed read. The author did a great job balancing the POVs and developing the large cast of characters into strong independent people. I never confused one character for another which really let me get lost in the world and the story. I loved the twists and mystery that was integrated with the fantasy world and fast-paced plot.

I am a bit worried that the future books might drag... I can easily see this being a duology, but unless som
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
May 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: e-arc
✨creepy cults
✨ruthless girls
✨boys with a LOT of feelings
✨siblings
✨doomsday prophecies

... this book sounds right up my alley
Ash | EmeraldBookOwl
Apr 09, 2019 marked it as i-need-2019
this sounds like it was made for me
Fiona
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Upon finishing this book I felt an immense sadness about not sharing my days anymore with the compelling cast of characters that Katy has crafted! I am relieved knowing they have so much more story to tell. What a world she has crafted, with tender detail, artful tension and reveals, and good clean fun along the way. Never have I been more invested in a prophecy! From the first page you know you are about to step into something BIG, and There Will Come A Darkness is that and more. I CANNOT WAIT ...more
Claire
- Review to come -
~ Althea ~  ☾
Jun 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: squad-goals
why does this give me Grisha vibes
Gaby
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work, 2019-september
If you love character driven multi-POV fantasy packed with truly surprising plot twists, oh boy is this book for you. I’m usually pretty good at guessing twists but I was shocked more than once while reading There Will Come A Darkness. Plus, I loved all five protagonists and quite a few secondary characters who, while not POV characters, were just as important and well written as the main cast. Tightly plotted and honestly brilliant, this book is a must-read.
faith ✨
Mar 11, 2019 marked it as 2019-publications
I'm pretty sure it's fact the vast majority of books I want to read are made up of them being compared to Six of Crows. On a side note, at least put "Leigh Bardugo" at the end of this synopsis if you want me to read the entire thing before immediately adding the book to my TBR. . .

(Also, this cover. Enough said.)
Jason S Wrench
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into when I started Katy Rose Pool's There will Come a Darkness, but I ultimately really enjoyed this book. I was given the opportunity by the publisher to evaluate this book before publication, but my evaluation of the contents of the book are entirely my own and not influenced by the publisher.

The story is told from the perspective of four different characters: Ephyra, Beru, Hassan, Anton, and Jude. Some of the characters are marked by one of the f
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
May 03, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs
Thank you Macmillan and Henry Holt for the ARC

I’m so ready for this.
Kat
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A interesting debut novel that has a lot of character development and world building. A fantasy novel that brings mythology of different historical areas to life. The author does have a lot of characters and POV's which causes some confusion further into the novel. I do think young adults will devour this book up. It reminds me of a blend of Rick Riordan and Sarah J. Maas. Thank you to NetGalley, Edelweiss, and the Macmillan Children's Publishing Group.
Kat
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Jessica McKenna
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Out of all the ARCs I have recently been lent to read, this is the first that truly feels like a real book. It has several characters with well-developed arcs and intriguing viewpoints, a plot that (while similar to The Last Airbender at times) shines all its own, and scenes so gripping I ended up reading most of the book in a single day.

I would highly, highly recommend fans of Sabaa Tahir, especially, to pick this one up.
Sami
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Prophets, warriors, assassins, and princes collide in this high fantasy inspired by ancient mythology. Those who are Graced with gifts stand in opposition to religious zealots, but as a dark prophecy unfolds, the Reckoning draws near and these teens each play a pivotal role, whether they like it or not. There Will Come a Darkness strikes a beautifully ominious tone, overlayed by the brittle humanity of these complex characters.
Justin
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars. This was a great read. I recie5an early copy at North Texas Teen Book Festival this year and it was the first ARC I chose to read.

The main five characters and the world were all developed well, but Jude, Anton, and Ephyra were my favorites. The magic system was unique and quickly became one of my favorites. I plan on rereading this one when the final version is released. Put it on your tbr

• The Bright and the Pale
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Goddess in the Machine
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • A Thousand Fires
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • Set Fire to the Gods (Set Fire to the Gods, #1)
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
Katy is a writer living in Berkeley, California. She grew up in Los Angeles, where her screenwriter father taught her about three act structure, characterization, and inciting incidents all before she could tie her shoes. Katy studied history and English at UC Berkeley. She enjoys breakfast sandwiches, fancy cocktails, rooting for the Golden State Warriors, and books that set her on fire.

Age of Darkness (3 books)
  • Untitled (There Will Come a Darkness #2)
  • Untitled (There Will Come a Darkness #3)