Start by marking “Chasing Graves (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chasing Graves (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #1)

Chasing Graves

(The Chasing Graves Trilogy #1)

Welcome to Araxes, where getting murdered is just the start of your problems.

"To say that the concept of Chasing Graves is grimdark would be an understatement... The world building is fantastic and reminiscent of Michael Moorcock’s Elric series.”
– Grimdark Magazine

“Galley has created a fascinating world that feels rife with stories… its history is rich with detail and
Published December 7th 2018 by BenGalley.com (first published December 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Graves, please sign up.
Ben Galley Thank you! I'm pleased to say the first book, Chasing Graves, will be out in early December! Here's the brand new blurb for more info:

Meet…more

They call it the City of Countless Souls, the colossal jewel of the Arctian Empire, and all it takes to rule it is to own more ghosts than any other. For in Araxes, the dead do not rest in peace in the afterlife, but live on as slaves for the rich.

While Caltro struggles to survive, those around him strive for the emperor’s throne in Araxes’ cutthroat game of power. The dead gods whisper from corpses, a soulstealer seeks to make a name for himself with the help of an ancient cult, a princess plots to purge the emperor from his armoured Sanctuary, and a murderer drags a body across the desert, intent on reaching Araxes no matter the cost.

Only one thing is certain in Araxes: death is only the beginning.(less)

Start your review of Chasing Graves (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #1)
Emma
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here lies Araxes, City of Countless Souls, where death is the pretty shitty beginning of a whole new ‘life’, comprised immediately and forevermore of servitude and toil. No perks. No escape. No food. For newly dead Caltro Basalt, this means being late for a very important date, a mysterious appointment in the Cloudpiercer. Instead, his murder takes him on another path, no less dangerous, with stakes higher than life or death and deadly enough to topple more than kings. Power over souls may be everyt ...more
Esme
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved other books by Ben Galley so when I was in a reading slump I decided to jump around in my reading order to get to this one, hoping for a little boost. This was the correct decision, it jump-started my love of reading again.

The opening of this is a very short prelude and the first thing that struck me was how atmospheric it was, it’s very descriptive without falling into the “purple” prose trap where it’s overdone. I felt the heat of the desert, smelled the decaying bodie
Haïfa
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
A big thanks to Ben Galley for providing an ARC of Chasing Graves, in exchange for an honest review.

Spoiler-free review. Please note that the quotes in this review are taken from the ARC edition and may change in the published edition.

You can find this and more at Novel Notions.

When Ben Galley revealed the cover of Chasing Graves and after hearing that it was an Egyptian mythology-inspired fantasy, I knew I had to read the book. My only experience with Galley’s writing before CG was with The Heart of Stone/>You
Nick T. Borrelli
Araxes is a city full of ghosts. Not the figurative kind mind you, and also not the playful and prankster kind that you see on certain paranormal television shows. These ghosts have been ripped from their formerly living bodies, often through brutally violent murder, and then are subsequently bonded as slaves to serve whichever masters are the highest bidders. It's not called the City of Countless Souls for nothing.

This is also not a city that you want to be walking around in alone,
Lukasz
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I deeply enjoyed Galley’s Heart of Stone. This guy knows how to grab the reader’s attention. Once I learned about his new book, I put it near the top of my TBR list. How could I say no to an early ARC of Chasing Graves?

You’re right. I couldn’t.

The story is nuanced, dark and complex. A master locksmith, Caltro Basalt, dies a gruesome death on his first night at Araxes. He won’t enjoy eternal rest though.  Soulstealers led by Boss Boran Temsa turn him into a Shade (a ghost slave) and sell him to
Adam
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I haven’t read many works by Ben Galley, his previous SPFBO entry Heart of Stone is one of my favorite standalone novels I’ve read this year. It presented a world ravaged by war, with an enslaved golem bound to serve and massacre under various generals throughout the centuries. The story offered an intriguing take on enslavement and the sacrifices made when one’s fate is trapped and bound to another. Galley explores similar themes of enslavement in his latest novel, Chasing Graves, book ...more
Benji Glaab
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: until Nov-15th buy the whole trilogy for the disturbingly low price of .99c on kindle

Chasing Graves made for a great audiobook. Samuel Roukin, and Moira Quirk are some bad ass narrators, and they really enhanced the atmosphere throughout. Ben Galley has created a vividly detailed world that is high on the originality spectrum. The writing is a big draw for me here it really jives with me. Clever yet not pretentious the balance was great and made for an engaging listen that yo
Olivia
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Ben Galley book, and two things struck me the most: pacing and world building.

Galley doesn't waste unnecessary words (or time) and the plot moves forward at a good speed. While I love long books, I highly appreciate shorter ones, since I'm - I almost don't dare and say it - I'm prone to skim descriptions. Still, Galley takes care to introduce his characters, and they feel unique and three dimensional.

It is, however, the first book in a series and doesn't
Michael Sliter
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a world where the ghosts of the dead are enslaved... (Read that in the movie trailer guy's voice)

That's the world of Chasing Graves. In this Egyptian-themed, pyramid-heavy world, the doors to the afterlife are closed, and most ghosts are indentured upon death. Caltro, our main protagonist (who is kind of a lazy dick), found himself in that situation within the first chapter or two. He's kind of a coward lockpicker, and he's pretty likable. His story is in first-person, an interest
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

The characterisation and world-building on display by Galley in Chasing Graves are both exceptional, Galley is highly talented and Chasing Graves is a hugely entertaining read.

Caltro Basalt isn’t a hero or a fighter, he’s a thief and a renowned locksmith, one of the best but he’s down on his luck. When a mysterious papyrus letter appears on his doorstep requesting that he attend a meeting at The Cloud
Richard Derus
PEARL RULED (p67)

Real Rating: 2.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Meet Caltro Basalt. He’s a master locksmith, a selfish bastard, and as of his first night in Araxes, stone cold dead.

They call it the City of Countless Souls, the colossal jewel of the Arctian Empire, and all it takes to be its ruler is to own more ghosts than any other. For in Araxes, the dead do not rest in peace in the afterlife, but live on as slaves for the rich.

While Caltro struggles to survive,/>The
Justine
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I’d like to thank the author for giving me an advanced copy of this book. I was so intrigued with the concept of an original fantasy world built with an Egyptian flavor that it was instantly pushed to the top of my TBR - I am so glad for this decision. Chasing Graves is a deliciously dark tale of treachery, secrets and murder filled with a cast of truly detestable characters whose intentions cannot ever be taken at face value. The only drawback of reading the first installment of a series bef ...more
Laura Hughes
Dark, tense and surprisingly hilarious, Chasing Graves is the accomplished opening novel in an exciting new trilogy.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
It's my stop on the massive blog tour in support of the wonderful Ben Galley! There are four books involved and something like 140 bloggers. Or thereabouts. I don't know, I'm shit at math! There's a lot of us. A METRIC FUCK TON. I'm excited to be a part of it. It's the first time I've ever joined in a blog tour!

Chasing Graves is the first installment in the trilogy of the same name, which was released in quick succession. Three books within three months. A series released in its ent
Andy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is some of the most enjoyable and original fantasy I’ve come across in a while. It takes place in a world where death is not the end, but for many is just the beginning of your “half-life”, generally meaning a life of servitude to the person who binds you upon your death (or to whoever you’re sold to). Trading in “the indentured” is a large part of this world’s economy, and the main character finds himself murdered and his ghost sold within the opening chapters of the book. This sets off a ...more
Esme
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my first 5 star in months. I loved everything about this and I'm working on writing a full review today.

Fantastic.
Audrey
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome in the city of the countless souls and your journey will be full of plots, murder and above it all an empress in waiting eager to hone her dagger on the souls of the many.
Castro is a locksmith should had known better than to put a foot in Araxes.
This book is everything one’s can expect in a fantasy book, can’t wait to read the sequel.
T.L.
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chasing Graves is a dark, witty romp—delightful, original, and beautifully paced, it oozes confidence.

4.5/5

Full review to be posted on The Fantasy Hive!
Al Burke
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dang, this is good. Review here - https://www.alwroteabook.com/2018/12/...
Fiona Tewson
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new venture

I have been waiting to read this book since I first heard of its conception and I have not been disappointed. A completely new concept with new characters to like - or not like! The book tells the tale of several protagonists and gathers the various ends together towards the end before throwing a spanner in the works, so to speak. We have been promised a short wait for the rest of the trilogy and book 2 is out in January, a new years present to look forward to.

If you l
Dustin
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5⭐
I wanted to give 5 stars to Chasing Graves just based on the sheer ambition and scope of the story. But then I couldn’t stop reading and then I picked up the second and third books before I finished the first.

I’m finding it hard to believe, but this is the first of Ben Galley’s books I’ve read. It’s been on my radar( I don’t really follow a tbr list) for awhile, and I’m shaking my head for not picking it up sooner.
I’ll not add much to the book’s plot description as it’s summed up pretty well
Timy
You can find this review on my blog!

I've got an ARC in exchange of an honest review from the author.

In everyone’s life comes that point when we start to think about what awaits us after death depending on your beliefs. A happy afterlife? Torture? A place in between where we wait until our fate is decided? Or something else? The people of Araxes aren’t wondering much, they know all too well what comes for them: endless servitude as shades. The luckier ones can get their freedom and a choice
Travis Riddle
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spfbo5
This was quite a good first foray into Galley's work. He's got a great, quick-moving style with creative but not overly-purple prose, which I really appreciate.

The novel follows several different POV characters, all of which have intriguing plotlines that probably could've carried a book on their own. So far they're only slightly overlapping, and I'm excited to see how they get further tangled up in each other as the series progresses.

I'd call the book's world-building its greatest strength. G
Tam
Chasing Graves was what I’d come to expect from Ben Galley. Unique, fantastic worldbuilding, interesting characters, and much more. I’ve only previously read The Heart of Stone by Ben Galley, but both that and Chasing Graves have been quite different from most books I’ve seen in the genre.

The worldbuilding in this book is done exceptionally well. It’s based around the concept that death isn’t the end, the dead can be bound and enslaved as ghosts. Naturally, this has run on effects to
Filip
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
Nothing quite like enslaving the dead to show the worst society has to offer.

Chasing Graves is the first ever novel I’ve read by Ben Galley. Immediately, I was hooked: by masterful prose; a character with a strongly distinctive voice, personality and a remarkable sphincter (you’ll get what I mean literally two minutes in); and, perhaps above all else, by the city of Araxes, the heart of the Arctian Empire, where the living hold command over the dead.

This is where I’ll beg
Sirvinya
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won an eARC through a twitter giveaway. There was no expectation for a review, but I suspected I would anyway!

The fact that our lead character dies straight away isn't a spoiler, it in fact sets up the entire premise of the rest of the book. Caltro is definitely an interesting character. When we first meet him, he's demonstrating his masterful lock picking abilities by shitting in someone's strong box. I had a feeling I was going to enjoy reading about him!

There are a f
kartik narayanan
Chasing Graves happens to be one of the best fantasy books I have read this year.

The book is fantastic and, at no point, did I feel like putting it down. Even upon a re-reading the book remains as fresh as ever and this is not something that most books can manage.

It is fast paced and there are no sections that drag. Somehow, everything comes together seamlessly to make this a read that one cannot stop even if they wanted too. The world building is great. Though there are a few recycled areas (
Lee Conley
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review of
Chasing Graves
By Ben Galley

This is a story about ghosts, about a master locksmith and thief, a deadly city, a murderer and her victim. Caltro Basalt is the master locksmith and has been mysteriously summoned to the great and deadly city of Araxes to attend a mysterious appointment at the Cloud Piercer, the tallest building in Araxes and centre of government. Surely an appointment he cannot refuse.
Araxes is a city where the spirits of the dead and murdered can
Rob Hayes
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, dangerous, and full of humour.

This is how I like my grimdark. Chasing Graves is a dark book, where the world is a shit place, and it only gets shittier once you die. But there is humour to offset the oppression, and glimmers of something shiny underneath all the muck.

This book is set in a world where death is only the beginning, and life is the shorter portion of a person’s existence. Ghosts rise not long after the body expires, and those ghosts can be bound into se
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Castro Basalt has the worst luck. From the start of his story, his situation goes from bad to worse and still manages a continuous downward slide. He’s not the most likable sort of fellow, but not really a bad sort. As lockpicks go, he’s one of the best in the business. Yes, he’s a thief, and times are tough, so when an opportunity comes his way to take a job offered from the seat of the king at the Cloudpiecer in the sprawling city of Araxes, he takes it a ship and sets sail.
Thus begins t
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Never Die
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • The Sword of Kaigen (A Theonite War Story)
  • Kings of Paradise (Ash and Sand #1)
  • Smoke and Stone (City of Sacrifice, #1)
  • The Gods of Men (Gods of Men, #1)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Hero Forged (Ethereal Earth, #1)
  • The Winter Road
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • Kingshold (The Wildfire Cycle #1)
Ben Galley is an author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Victoria, Canada. Since publishing his debut The Written in 2010, Ben has released a range of award-winning fantasy novels, including the weird western Bloodrush and the epic standalone The Heart of Stone. He is also the author of the brand new Chasing Graves Trilogy.

When he isn’t conjuring up strange new stories or arguing the finer points of magic and dragons, Benstandalone The

The Chasing Graves Trilogy (3 books)
  • Grim Solace (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #2)
  • Breaking Chaos (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #3)
“What looks like magic is just science we don’t understand yet.” 0 likes