Start by marking “El príncipe cruel (Los habitantes del aire, #1)” as Want to Read:
El príncipe cruel (Los habitantes del aire, #1)

El príncipe cruel

(The Folk of the Air #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  460,359 ratings  ·  47,569 reviews
Jude tenía siete años cuando sus padres fueron asesinados y, junto con sus dos hermanas, fue trasladada a la traicionera Corte Suprema del Reino Feérico.

Diez años más tarde, lo único que Jude desea, a pesar de ser una mera mortal, es sentir que pertenece a ese lugar. Pero muchos de los habitantes desprecian a los humanos. Especialmente el Príncipe Cardan, el hijo más joven
Published November 19th 2018 by Hidra (first published January 2nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about El príncipe cruel, please sign up.
Emmanuelle Nikolaev No, there is a larger universe but there is no need to read any of the other books before this one.

Here is the reading order to help:

Cruel Prince

Th…more

Here is the reading order to help:

Cruel Prince

The Lost Sisters (Optional, read at any time after Cruel Prince)

Wicked King

(Suggested reading: Modern Faerie tales, The darkest part of the forest)

Queen of Nothing

How the King of Elfheim Came to Hate Stories

Modern Faerie tales:

Tithe

Valient

Ironside

You can read any of these series in any order but this is my suggested reading order

(less)
Christina Unfortunately no! Book 1 officially releases on January 2nd, 2018. Book 2 is slated for sometime in 2019, and book 3 is slated for sometime in 2020. I…moreUnfortunately no! Book 1 officially releases on January 2nd, 2018. Book 2 is slated for sometime in 2019, and book 3 is slated for sometime in 2020. I'd keep an eye on Holly's website as well as Little Brown for future pub dates. (less)

·  460,359 ratings  ·  47,569 reviews

Start your review of El príncipe cruel (Los habitantes del aire, #1)
Melanie
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Single One of You ♥

“He looks like a faerie lover stepped out of a ballad, the kind where no good comes to the girl who runs away with him.”

If you guys ever want to see what my true heart’s desires are on paper, read this book. This book is a piece of heaven that was sent from above, this book is the perfection incarnate, this book is nothing short of magical, this book easily makes my top five books of all-time list, and this book is without a doubt the best book I’ve read in 2017. I’m not sure how I’m
emma
*clears throat*

Excuse me, uh. Who cares?

This is not a rhetorical question. I truly want to know. I read this whole ass book and I am still at a complete loss for something, anything, to care about. Not a plot point, not a character trait, not a single line of quirky banter I could get myself emotionally invested in.

This is a book about fairies and it was a trial for me to get through. Me, a person who loves fairies so much she spent her entire third grade
Emily May
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
No matter how careful I am, eventually I'll make another misstep. I am weak. I am fragile. I am mortal.
I hate that most of all.

4 1/2 stars. Over the course of this year, I've read both books that I've liked and books I've disliked. I've read books that I've loved and, it's fair to say, books that are better written, more unique, and more groundbreaking than this book. That being said, however, I am struggling to recall a book that has left me this excited about a YA series in a very long tim
Miranda Reads

New week, New BookTube Video - all about the best (and worst) literary couples
The Written Review
description

If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.
Jude (and her twin, Taryn) are human but their older sister (Vivi) belonged to another world.

Their mother fled when she was pregnant with Vivi and escaped to the human world. Their mother gave birth to the half-fairy Vivi, married and soon had Jude & Taryn.

But their little family could not stay hidden.

Madoc (her mother'
Warda
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So, where to begin.
Hype as we know it, is quite futile. The buzz it ignites is amazing. They create this excitement within you that has your mind wandering to all of the possibilities and direction the book can go in.

Because of the hype, I assumed I would enjoy this book. I'm quite an easy-to-please reader, so usually when a book is hyped up, I tend to enjoy it. Or even if I don't, I will feel indifferent. But this book brought about a rage within me; I hated it with every fibre of my being.

Y
Emma Giordano
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Absolutely loved this read!! A wondrous fantasy novel that is easy to get invested in. So many great plot twists and high-intensity, suspenseful moments!

TW: murder, physical abuse, sexual abuse, suicide

Holly Black is truly the queen of creating exquisite worlds. Her interpretation of faeries is always so fascinating and glorious. It’s hard to fully capture what it is about her world-building that is so magical, but her books are always my favorite when it comes to faeries. I believe a part of it
Marie Lu
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT IS THIS BEAUTY. Someone please revive me because I am dead from the awesomeness of this book.

If you want to read a masterpiece of character and story, look no further. The Cruel Prince showcases Holly Black at the top of her game: it is exquisitely dark and delightfully wicked, set in an intricate world of highlighted sensation--the taste of faerie fruit, the feel of rich, decaying fabrics, the smells of dangerous old chambers--and populated by a cast of characters that left me dying from f
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
384 pages. ZERO SUBSTANCE.

Unless you call pages littered with problematic shit... substance.

I don’t get it. I just don’t fucking get it.

Before: This book is my 1st experience with Holly Black. It’ll either make or break our future relationship.

After: Any plans for a potential future relationship is hereby terminated. Over. Done with. Null and void. Cancelled... you get the point.

when you go into a book expecting gold and it ends up being your worst read of the year. In January…

Oh, the ra
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I liked this a lot! I completely get why so many people didn't enjoy this and there are plenty of things certain characters do that are inexcusable. There were just so many other things about the book that I enjoyed! The plot itself was a wild time. One of the later chapters had me staring at a wall in a state of disbelief in regards to what had happened. The world was such an interesting one to explore! I've got more to say on this, but my mind is just asdfghjkl; after reading it so that's all ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Sorry folks, I don't get it.

2.5? Maybe...

Unmemorable. Another YA fantasy with fairies and humans, clichés and cringe romance similar to all the other fantasy/dystopian books that have been coming out. I don't understand the hype because there was nothing I found good in here. There wasn't anything horrible either which leaves me with a "meh" review.

Won't continue the series. Don't recommend it.
Victoria Aveyard
I require book 2 immediately. Holly is the Faerie Queen.
NReads
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not a day goes by without thinking how freaking annoying Jude was in this book
 Teodora
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, on-app, fantasy, favorites
4.5/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

“(…) cheekbones sharp enough to cut out a girl’s heart.”

I love me a cruel and tipsy Faerie prince and that’s Cardan and only Cardan.

I mean everything I said in the previous sentence. Every. Word. Is. True.

Cardan was the best thing happening to this book and if you deny this that that’s strictly your problem. He’s a charmer.

I don’t read hyper-hyped books in general. But when I do, I read them aeons after they’re out so the hype has worn out
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
"If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse."

I see why people call Holly Black 'Queen of the Faeries'. Hoooly wow. What a delightfully dark, twisty novel.

If you know anything about me, I'm all about the court politics & intrigue, villains & anti-heroes, and schemes within plots within schemes. This book had my name written ALL over it.

Okay so here's the basic rundown without giving away too much. Jude and Taryn are twins. Vivi is their older sister. It turns out, V
megs_bookrack
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please enjoy the following visual presentation of my reactions whilst reading The Cruel Prince:

((cue the Muzak)):

This was NOTHING at all like what I expected it to be. I am actually shocked by how much I enjoyed this. If I'm being honest, I didn't think I would.

I had previously read, The Darkest Part of the Forest by Black, and it was just okay for me. There was nothing wrong with it, but I didn't find it particularly memorable either.

Going into this one, I was expecting angsty romance, whiny
C.G. Drews
Read 2 | January 2019

because one must prepare for an eternity of internal screaming, I reread this before The Wicked King and just let me say: aaaaaaaaaaaa wHY IS IT SO GOOD THOUGH. It is vicious and merciless and gorgeous and bloody and ajdfkslad I don't know what this says about me, but this is my favourite type of book. I really didn't ship Cardan/Jude the first time but I do now. Look at these two completely dysfunctional slytherin darlings go.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧
Read 1 | January 2018

I CAN'T GET OVER
Elle (ellexamines)
...I have no idea how this review got deleted, but here is a reupload from my blog!

If I cannot be better than them, I will be so much worse.

God, this book killed me. The Cruel Prince has just about what you’d expect from Black: court intrigue, an atmosphere of terror, vaguely dark romance, and a main character who is a terrible person, but is also so interesting. Plus some interesting dynamics and setup for an even better sequel. Needless to say, I found it delightful.

I think Black’
Maryam Rz.
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers of dark fairytales
Once upon a time, a wicked girl with a cold, cold heart traipsed through a forest so light and stark. Trees of clean bark. Branches dangling with folk art. And it was thus she came upon a hole so, so dark.

Our restless little devil looked through the hole and glimpsed trees of bark covered in blood, branches twisted and falling with a thud, screams coming out of the mud that had seen much brutal flood.

So the girl backed up, and ran, and jumped.

I fell into the Holly Black hole for fun so dark.
And
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US 10/14/20

3 stars this time. Reread 2020

************

I already knew it was coming but here is my Fairyloot box =) Clink link below pic to see about the items!

FAIRYLOOT STUFF

OMG! Click on my link below the picture to see close-ups and my synopsis of the items =)

OWLCRATE STUFF

Holy sh*t balls! I love it =)

I love Jude! She's my new bad to the bone girl! She gets dragged away with her two sisters to Faerie by the man that killed her parents. Lives in Faerie most of her life. I
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Faeries make up for their inability to lie with a panoply of deceptions and cruelties. Twisted words, pranks, omissions, riddles, scandals, not to mention their revenges upon one another for ancient, half-remembered slights. Storms are less fickle than they are, seas less capricious.”

And this is exactly why I LOVED this book! I dunno about you but I love my faeries wicked, cunning and cruel and unfortunately not a lot of authors are able to pull that off. Many faerie books are pretty soft a
Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
Well, despite marking this as "currently reading" (I put books there that I plan to read within the next week or two) I finally cracked this bad boy open today...and finished it in one three-hour siting.

So, if that's not an indication of something being a seriously above average read, I don't know what is.

description

Jude was a really edgy, imperfect, relatable character and I really liked her.

So often, I want characters to do something - maybe say something or do something I want them to do in a specific
Sofia
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Recommended to Sofia by: Everyone
Cardan Greenbriar holds my heart in his hands, and he looks rather smug about it, the absolutely perfect insufferable jerk.

This is one of those books where the faerie are actually scary. Yes, they're pretty immature, but they're cruel, terrible people who play with mortals for fun. These are not your Sarah J. Maas fae. They can't control the wind or change shapes -- but they can force humans to do their will, which is almost worse. Unless you wrap a string of rowan berries around your neck or tu
jessica
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
some books are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

this book is all of the above. my mind simply cannot comprehend what i just read because its greatness transcends human understanding. what a blessed world we live in where this kind of greatness exists for us mere mortals.

i cant even fathom what sort of perfection ‘the wicked king’ will be. the last half of this book is one of the best build-ups to a sequel i have ever read. like, are you kidding me!?
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

My first order of action: I'm starting an "I hate Taryn" club. If you want to join, just comment below and you'll receive instant membership status. It is the hate that binds us.

Edit: I made a badge with MS Paint. >:D

What would happen if you combined Hana Yori Dango with Game of Thrones? This book.

I'm kind of surprised at how much I enjoyed THE CRUEL PRINCE. It was receiving a lot of hype, and normally that turns me off, because so much
chan ☆
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy, 2018, book-bfs
me reading the folk of the air trilogy in a day *spoilers*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLg5D...

hi i'm chandler and this is my favorite book of all time

no for real, this book has EVERYTHING. but first off i just want to say that y'all have been SLEEPING on holly black. she is incredible and i genuinely love every single one of her books that i have read. so i guess it's not surprising that i loved this one. what did i love you may ask?

- the writing... HELLO! YES! how can a book that is short
Helena Paris
“Nice things don’t happen in storybooks. Or when they do happen, something bad happens next. Because otherwise the story would be boring, and no one would read it.”

description

PERFECT. This book is PERFECT. So…BUCKLE UP! ‘CAUSE YOU’RE IN FOR A WILD RIDE!

description

Holly Black, you are going to be the DEATH of me! I loved the Spiderwick Chronicles as a child (so cute!), mildly enjoyed the Modern Faerie Tale series (kinda cringey, not gonna lie :-/), appreciated The Darkest Part of the Forest (so much faery tale-esque w
She-who-must-not-be-named
That feeling when you reread a book but still couldn't guess the ending...

Full review to come
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know you missed my star auctions… Here comes the new one! Let’s start with five billion! Did I hear five centillion! Are you out of your mind? I don’t think there are centillion stars on the universe! Well, red head lady slaps the bidder and gave this book FIVE CENTILLION STARS anyways! SOLD with an all exclusive trip to fae world ( limitless Chardonnay and tequila shots included)

Awwwwwwww I’m in love with this book! This is definitely a Tarantino story taken place at the Fae World and we have
Era ➶
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
buddy read with the very sassy rein!

Actual footage of Cardan:
Katerina
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fae, 2018-reads, fantasy
Brace yourselves, folks, we're jumping on the hype wagon!

“If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.”

First Stop: Elfhame
With all the raving reviews about The Cruel Prince, how could little ol' Katerina resist? The Hype (yes, Hype with a capital H because it's a being of its own that swallows the innocent and the weak) was a siren, luring me to dive into its dark waters, and, thankfully, I was not eaten alive. With a successful blend of modern world and faerie
Book Nerds Unite: * December 2021 BOTM | The Cruel Prince 3 4 20 hours, 40 min ago
Booktok 📚: Should I read the Cruel Prince?? 14 461 Dec 01, 2021 07:33PM
Englische Leserunden: 2021/11 The Cruel Prince 24 14 Dec 01, 2021 04:45AM
The Midnight Readers: The Cruel Prince (Era + Rein) 152 35 Nov 19, 2021 05:54PM
❀The Never-ending...: The Folk of the Air Elimination Game- Round 1 157 81 Nov 13, 2021 08:26PM
The Starless Seag...: The Cruel Prince - November BOTM Series 4 14 Nov 11, 2021 12:24PM
Do you like Jude Duarte? 43 522 Nov 07, 2021 04:53PM

• A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
See top shelves…
Holly Black is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of over thirty fantasy novels for kids and teens. She has been a finalist for an Eisner Award and the Lodestar Award, and the recipient of the Mythopoeic Award, a Nebula, and a Newbery Honor. Her books have been translated into 32 languages worldwide and adapted for film. She currently lives in New England with her husband and son in a house ...more

The Folk of the Air (3 books)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)

Articles featuring this book

From non-fiction to fantasy, here are Goodreads members' top 12 most popular books from each of the past five years. And we're delighted to...
“If I cannot be better than them, I will become so much worse.” 2292 likes
“Most of all, I hate you because I think of you. Often. It's disgusting, and I can't stop.” 1875 likes