Start by marking “The Yorkshire Vet: In The Footsteps of Herriot (Official memoir from the star of The Yorkshire Vet TV show)” as Want to Read:

Published October 18th 2018 by Mirror Books

To ask other readers questions about The Yorkshire Vet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yorkshire Vet

Start your review of The Yorkshire Vet: In The Footsteps of Herriot (Official memoir from the star of The Yorkshire Vet TV show)
Diana
Book received from NetGalley

Review to Come

Last book of 2018
Kim
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
I loved reading this book. Peter was taken on by the real life characters behind the James Herriot books. It bought many happy memories of reading those books and also getting an insight into Alf Wright and the real life Siegfried.
Peter describes his work experience there as a boy and then his years training and then his working life as a Yorkshire Vet alongside the tv series he agreed to do.
There is a lot of humour and sadness in the book as we hear all about his friends and his colleagues.
It
Julie Haigh
Fascinating and absolutely engrossing.

Peter Wright worked in Sinclair and Wight's practice in Thirsk. 'James Herriot's' practice. I grew up reading the wonderful Herriot books and at the time never realised the surgery was so near to the area I live in so this book has tremendous appeal. This is a new gem in the nostalgic world of James Herriot. Easy reading, not loaded with technical terms, so easy to enjoy. I loved how he told his story. Lots of warmth and nostalgia, just lovely.

I haven't seen
Joan
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Peter Wright is a vet who left Liverpool University and then worked with Alf Wight (aka James Herriot, The original Yorkshire Vet) at the Skeldale Veterinarian Practice in Thirsk in Yorkshire with Alf as his mentor. He had already met Alf many times before his appointment to work at Skeldale when he did his work experience. It was inevitable that Peter would eventually return to his roots in God’s Own Land and work as a newly qualified vet just a few miles from his home. When Alf and his partner ...more
Susan Johnston
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
James Herriot warmed the cockles of many hearts, including mine. Whether it was his lovely books or the sweet series based on them, he brought a smile to my face and a warmth to my soul. It was with great pleasure that I was able to interview all three leads of the series in 1982 and I carry the memories with me to this day.
I had no idea until I read this book how intimately Peter Wright was connected to Alf aka James Herriot when I glanced at The Yorkshire Vet on telly during a visit to
Teena in Toronto
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Peter Wright is a veterinarian in England ... he is the co-owner of and works at Skeldale Veterinary Centre, the clinic where Alf Wight (the real life James Herriot) worked. After he finished vet school, Wright worked with Alf, Donald Sinclair (Siegfried in Herriot's books) and Jim (Alf's son). The TV show Yorkshire Vet (which I've never seen or heard of) apparently follows the adventures of the vets in this clinic.

I like reading books about animals and loved the James Herriot series so that's
Jane
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I was asked to review this book by Nudge books.

Having grown up reading James Herriot books, watching the films, tv series I was interested to read this book. I had not know this was a tv series and to begin with thought this was about a modern day vet- yes it is but that he actually worked with the real life Alf Wight (James Herrot0 and Donald Sinclair (Siegfried Farnon).

This book brought back memories of some great tales of the dales and in some ways has brought back the love of the dales which
Taylor Bartlett
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book? Brilliant doesn't seem to do it justice.
Peter Wright's book 'The Yorkshire vet, in the footsteps of Herriot' has ben one of the best books I've read this year. I adore the Yorkshire Vet tv series and it is a family favourite in our household as well. We all love Peter and his wonderful nature with animals and we love the way in which the Herriot tradition is carried on so well at Skeldale.
This book was a wonderful portrayal of Peter's life working as the
Mrsk Stephen
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Peter Wright's new book, The Yorkshire Vet: In the Footsteps of Herriot, is almost a sequel to the lovely books previously written by his former partner James Herriot (Alf Wight). Whereas Herriott usually regaled us with pleasant anecdotes of the animals and people he met as a result of his travels Wright has written his biography and spent a fair bit of time explaining the politics behind decisions that were made by the veterinarian practice where he worked and complaining about governmental ...more
Louisa
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Peter Wright is The Yorkshire Vet. Longtime veterinarian and star of the tv show of the same name, he quickly pulls you into his world, describing his life as a young lad growing up on the edge of the North Yorkshire moors. Then onward through vet training to his homecoming becoming employed and learning his trade from Alf Wight (the real life James Herriot!) then finally becoming senior partner of that oh so famous clinic. His descriptions of his home county, the people and animals made me feel ...more
Rebecca
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I’m a huge fan of the Yorkshire Vet TV series so this book was right up my street. It was so interesting to read about Peter Wright’s background and about the love he has for his family and of course Yorkshire. There are so many wonderful anecdotes about his association with Alf Wight ( James Herriot) and how he has endeavoured to carry on the tradition of being first and foremost a Vet who cares deeply about all the animals he treats. ‘ All Creatures Great and Small’ He describes so well all ...more
Cozy Cat Reviews
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful read for all who are fans of James Herriot and everyone who loves animals. This has a real day to day account of the authors treating animals from the field and office. At times its sad,, funny and always entertaining throughout . I love learning that he worked with the real Herriot as his mentor. and teacher .I highly recommend this book and found it quite enjoyable from first page to the last. Thank you for the ARC which does not influence my review. Very well done to the ...more
Irene
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A must read for any animal lover, fan of the programme of the same name or those who simply love Yorkshire. I am all three, so was particularly fascinated by Peter’s biography. An idyllic Yorkshire childhood, well apart from school, training in Liverpool and finally working with the animals. A book of laughter and tears, meeting once again some of the more memorable people from the programme. Read it if you like animals, or even if you don’t - you won’t be disappointed! I was given this ARC by ...more
Sue Em
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Enjoyable book about The Yorkshire Vet's life and veterinary practice. In Britain, a tv show follows him and his practice. When he joined the practice, one of the other vets was "James Herriott" working under his real name. I would have enjoyed it more if there were more animal stories or if I had ever seen the tv show, but it was still interesting.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Gill
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a heartwarming read, and the perfect companion to the TV series. The stars are the animals, and the beautiful Yorkshire landscape. There is a nod to James Herriot, obviously, but this book has its own unique voice too.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an Advance ARC copy of this book.
Jo
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Since starting to watch The Yorkshire Vet I have wanted to sit with Peter over a cup of tea and find out about his life as a vet. This book comes a close second to actually meeting him. A lovely book full of childhood stories right through to views on climate change and the effects of plastic on rural life. A great book by an even greater man.
julianne
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc, 3-stars
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital copy in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. I found this book quite interesting. If you like James Herriott and tales of life in a veterinary practice you will like this.
Martha Brindley
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating and heartwarming account of a vet's life. If you love animals, this is a good read for you. Told with compassion and lovely touches of humour. A beautiful read. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Polly Krize
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

As a huge fan of the James Herriot books, this real-life veterinarian worked with the actual author of this books. Almost, but not quite, a sequel...regardless, an entertaining, well-written book.
Susan Thompson
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Peter's book, watch the Yorkshire Vet on TV & Peter comes across so nice that is the reason why I bought Peter's book. Loved watching All Creatures Great & Small & read all the Herriot books when I was young. Like that Peter worked for Alf & Donald & became a partner.
Rob Stichman
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read!

All creatures great and small, would be proud! To see Yorkshire from Peter's view was funny, educational, relaxing! A must read!
Joan Hill
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
interesting book on the life of Peter the ups and downs of being a vet.
Breane Ross
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received an arc from netgalley. LOVED this book. If you like James Herriot (not sure of the spelling) you will love this book. Highly recommend it!
Louise
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good inspirational book!
Pam
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, and I loved the insight into the workings of a vets day, and no two days are ever the same, if you love animals you will enjoy this too.
Susan Goodhew
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Peter is aninsperational figure I have enjoyed reading this book about the animal and human characters I hope there is another tv series.
Asmaa
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really interesting read great to read his life story as well as anecdotes and stories f animals keepers and references to herriot
Ross Mountney
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never watched the programme but really enjoyed a dip into this relaxing and thoughtful memoir at bedtimes!
Annarella
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy when this book was approved on Netgalley. I grew up reading Herriot's book and I like the Yorkshire Vet show and Peter Wright.
I had high expectations that were all met.
It was a fascinating and enjoyable trip down the memory lane. It was great to read about the people behind the books, the different cases and the life in Yorkshire.
I live the style of writing and how the memories were assembled. It's page turner that kept me hooked till the last page.
Highly recommended!

• While You're Here, Doc: Farmyard Adventures of a Maine Veterinarian
  • It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
  • Vet on the Loose
  • Swallowtail Summer
  • Every Living Thing  (All Creatures Great and Small, #5)
  • All Creatures Great and Small (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful
  • A Gift from the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #5)
Peter Wright, BVSc, MRCVS
Peter qualified from the Univeristy of Liverpool in 1981 and has worked at Skeldale for longer than he cares to admit! He worked with Alf White and Donald Sinclair, the original James Herriot and Siegfried Farnon, and enjoys telling the younger vets tales from his time with them which leaves them wondering if he ever made an appearance in the James Herriot books!