Start by marking “And Then You Were Gone” as Want to Read:
And Then You Were Gone

And Then You Were Gone

For fans of B. A. Paris and Alice Feeney comes a propulsive, twisting psychological thriller that asks, How can you save someone else if you can’t save yourself?

After years of learning how to manage her bipolar disorder, Emily Firestone finally has it under control. Even better, her life is coming together: she’s got a great job, her own place, and a boyfriend, Paolo,
Published March 13th 2019 by Crooked Lane Books (first published March 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about And Then You Were Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then You Were Gone

Start your review of And Then You Were Gone
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
A fast-paced thriller that will have your head spinning as you try to figure out what happened to Paolo!!

And Then You Were Gone is a unique thriller that features a leading character who has been successfully managing her bipolar disorder for years—a fact that is called into question when her boyfriend disappears.

This was truly an unputdownable one for me!

Fantastic writing, engaging mystery, and a relatable lead character all make this a standout debut novel.

Emily and her boyfriend Paolo are
Mackey
WOW – what a story! What a plot! What amazing writing! To say I loved this book is understatement! When I read the premise – something about micro-technology and greed run amuck, my interest was peaked. What I got was a book full of surprises, full of emotional roller coasters and suspense and twists and turns and a very flawed protagonist that I adored!

Emily Firestone has worked for years to get her life on track and keep her life on track as she lives with bi-polar disorder. She is medicated,
Pauline
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Emily is on a boat trip with her boyfriend Paolo, after a night drinking she wakes up in the morning to find him gone. The police think that he fell overboard but Emily can't remember anything. Emily has bipolar disorder and is struggling to cope with this and will do anything to find out the truth of what happened to Paolo.
This was a good thriller but a little confusing in parts.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for my e-book in exchange for an honest review.
Darinda
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
While on a sailing trip, Emily wakes to find her boyfriend Paolo is missing. Since Paolo is a strong swimmer, Emily finds it hard to believe he could have drowned. As days pass, Paolo's disappearance starts to lean toward murder... with Emily as a suspect. Emily struggles with managing her bipolar disorder, which she though was under control, while she searches for answers to what happened to Paolo.

Emily makes for an interesting unreliable narrator. She has been managing her bipolar disorder
Monica
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Fantastic!! A 5 read for me! This was a superb thriller - I didn’t guess the killer and definitely not the conclusion!

Our main character had bipolar disorder and her personality was described so well. I find it extremely difficult for most writers to convey the full extent of thoughts that aren’t “normal”. Even better, she was able to recognize when her thoughts were leading her down the wrong path and to use her symptoms as strengths. I found this extremely empowering to read! And I wasn’t at
 Li'l Owl
Exiting and Thrilling debut with plenty of Suspence to go around!

Emily
Eighteen months before the lake, I met Cal the same night I met Paolo, at a fund-raiser for medical research. I’d dragged Allie along as my date.
“Remind me why we’re going to a fund-raiser?” she asked as I sped toward the frozen-in- time University Club, with its imposing curtains and sturdy silverware.
There was enough incredulity in Allie’s voice that I smiled to not feel offended.
“It’s for H1-N24 research . It’s been
Mandy White
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow... this was a tough book to put down! I just wanted to keep reading to see what was going to happen next. I could not see how it was going to end at all... and I love that in a book. The main character was far from perfect and the story had me hooked from the very start.

Emily Firestone... her life is finally starting to come good. After years of living with bipolar she has finally learned how to live with it. She has a great job and a fantastic new boyfriend Paolo, who adores her. When
Shalini
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A different book to review. An unlikable, unreliable main character made my job so difficult. Did I like her or did I hate her? Or did I love to hate her? These questions swirled in my mind as I read the book.

The story started simply with Emily and Paolo taking a day off to spend the night on a rented boat in the middle of the lake and Paolo disappeared. Emily sailed the boat to the pier, contacted the cops, and Paolo was presumed to be dead due to drowning with a tinge of suspicion on Emily.
Kylie H
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, drama
This book took a little while to warm up, but was most intriguing once it did. I think the most gripping thing was the fact the main character and narrator of the story is bipolar and doubts her own take on reality and the way her mind is processing information.
Emily is a psychologist battling her own demons who is asked on a boating holiday by her boyfriend Paolo, she reluctantly agrees even though unable to swim and being petrified of water. A sequence of events then takes place that has
Linda Strong
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

Emily at last has her bipolar disorder under control. Its taken her years to get to this point in her life when everything seems to be going her way. She has a terrific boyfriend, Paolo,. a great job, and her own living space.

When Paolo suggests a weekend trip of sailing, she readily agrees. The morning after they set sail, Emily wakes up to a totally empty boat. Where is Paolo? Did he fall overboard and drown? She's alone on the boat and terrified.

Days later with still no answers on what
Julie (JuJu)
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts
Not your typical psychological thriller and not at all what I expected. It was a quick read...but there is so much more to the story than the description leads us to believe. A well-written and fast-paced debut, that I highly recommend!

Thank you to NetGalley / Crooked Lane Books / R. J. Jacobs for this digital ARC / in exchange for my honest review.
#AndThenYouWereGone #NetGalley

Book Description
DeAnn
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
4 "you fooled me" stars to this debut book from R.J. Jacobs

A thrill ride, this time with a bipolar psychologist in a fight for her life to unravel clues before she's the next to disappear.

Set in Nashville, things seem to be great for Emily -- a loving boyfriend and a good job, her bipolar mania managed. Somehow, a magical date with her boyfriend goes all wrong and Emily wakes up with Paolo missing. She becomes a suspect in his case and other mysterious things start happening with the virus
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
His absence made life feel like a house without a floor.
This a debut from R.J. Jacobs. And Then You Were Gone has all the elements I love in a book: mystery, adventure, and strong characters. I love the fact that Jacobs kept the cast of characters small enough that I could relate to them and care about them. Over the past couple of months I've read a couple of books that had such a large cast of characters that I have needed to sketch a biographical flow chart to keep them all straight. R.J.
Shani Asokan
I received this via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This book was so...random. Though the plot clearly sets an aim for the story, the storytelling itselfis haphazard and vague, to the point where it just gets boring waiting for development. It almost feels like this is the first draft, unfleshed out and raw.

I spent the whole first half of the book waiting for the story make some progress on the plot, but no such luck. The main character is so two dimensional and forgettable, I can't
Dana-Adriana B.
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks-en, netgalley
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.
This thriller grabbed me from the first page (too bad I don't have more time for reading) and there’s no way I could have guessed how it ended. I did not like much the main characters, but the plot was interesting.
The Cats’ Mother
I was going to read this in time for publication day, but when I picked it up to start and had a look at the blurb, thought “oh no, not another amnesia plot line!” and put it aside. Fortunately I came back to it, and discovered that while yes, it’s a book about a woman who wakes up on a boat to find her boyfriend missing, with no memory of what happened, the amnesia turns out to be largely irrelevant, and there’s a lot more to it than that.

Set in Nashville, Tennessee, this is told from the point
ABCme
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thank you Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC.

Emily and boyfriend Paolo are off on a short boating trip on a lake near Nashville. They have a few drinks and when Emily wakes up the next morning she finds Paolo gone. I had expected her to be stuck on the boat, but no, she sails it back to safety and the search for Paolo starts, police involved. Not much happens for a while apart from Emily's life throwing her one setback after another.
It's a pleasant read so far, but nothing too
Megan
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
UPDATE: 26th September 2019

After getting a message from the author complaining that I shouldn't be giving mean-spirited reviews to books because it can discourage authors, I am very tempted to drop my rating down to a 1 star. I don't think I will though, because it wasn't necessarily a bad book, I just didn't enjoy it. I don't even think my review was particularly mean-spirited. And can I just add, RJ Jacobs told me that he named the main character after a freind who died but that doesn't mean I
Tara Vaglio
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When Emily and her boyfriend Paolo decide to spend a night on the lake, things quickly take a turn for the worse when Emily wakes up to find Paolo is missing and she has zero memory of the night before. Even though the police have declared him dead, Emily cannot accept that this is what happened, and she decides to do a little investigating of her own. Due to lack of sleep and dealing with her bipolar, Emily becomes an unreliable narrator leaving the reader to question everything along the way. ...more
Amanda
Review Coming Soon!
Blagica
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And Then You Were Gone is a wonderfully mesmerizing and suspenseful read.
Emily Firestone, a woman diagnosed as bipolar, has struggled for years to get and keep herself on track. Now, for the first time in a long time, everything seems to be running smoothly; she has a job she loves, a home of her own, and a boyfriend, Paolo, that she finds herself falling in love with.

When Paolo suggests taking a break from their busy work lives (he is a medical researcher working on the virus that killed Emily
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
(3.5) Ok.. This was a good book. I especially liked the beginning & the end. The middle got a little long for me.. The narrator got on my nerves a bit. I understand the reasons given for her reckless behavior, but it still felt a little forced to me. & by the time i finally got to the explanation of what had really happened.. It was just like yeah ok. (I had already worked some out but the details came slowly.) I don't know, it wasn't bad. I just wasn't very interested. Ultimately though ...more
Morgan Schulman
I received an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review

This one moved two slowly and I never really connected with the characters along the way. A good depiction of mental illness tho.
Stephanie Jean
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC, in exchange for my honest review.

I have to say I really enjoyed this book, after reading a few reviews I was kind of worried I wouldn’t be able to finish it. The saying goes “different strokes, for different folks” and I’m glad I read on anyway. I found I was totally drawn by this book. It held its suspense throughout the book, there were a few parts I questions but all in all, this book was well done.
Great book by Jacobs.
Jen
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I found this to be a fairly fast paced, engaging read. In particular I think the main character Emily, who is diagnosed with Bipolar, is well written. There were a few asides, Emily’s memories of her father for example, but they weren’t lengthy or irrelevant so didn’t distract from the storyline which I appreciated. The plot was good and just when you think you know what’s going on, you don’t. The ending was satisfactory while not being all perfectly tied up which I also liked. I would ...more
Barbara Ruth
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#And Then You Were Gone# NetGalley #

Thank you to NetGalley for a advance copy of this book for a fair and honest review.

I just finished reading this book by R. J. Jacobs and I absolutely loved it! I’ve always heard that you should write about what you know, and that is exactly what Mr. Jacobs has done and it shows in his writing. The setting is in Nashville, the plot involves psychology and of course, murder. Emily is a very likable character, although she is really pushing the boundaries on
Heather
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty dang good for a debut thriller. My gratitude to Crooked Lane Books and Netgalley for sending me an ARC of this title which releases on March 13, 2019. Emily and her boyfriend, Paolo, spend a romantic evening on a rented boat. They have some wine, a little bread and cheese and Emily falls into a deep slumber. When she wakes up in the morning, Paolo is nowhere to be found. She has no idea what has happened to him. Eventually she figures out how to start the engine and drive the boat into ...more
Donna Hines
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
If you can't save yourself how can you save anyone else?
An interesting dynamic for fans of BA Paris enters here with RJ Jacobs in this new psychological thriller.
Emily Firestone has struggled to gain control over her bipolar disorder and she has finally reached her comfort zone with a new career, a new man Paolo, and her own place.
When Paolo offers to go on a sailing trip she's ready to pack the wine and cheese and head off.
It was truly magical until she woke up and couldn't find Paolo.
When she
Jacky Montgomery
Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Bipolar Emily has her act together, a job, a place to live and an adoring boyfriend, Paolo.
Paolo suggests a day out on his boat on a lake and Emily jumps at the chance to spend some alone time with him as he's always working in his job as a micribiologist.
The following morning Emily wakes with a fuzzy head and a missing Paolo. In the ensuing story Emily becomes a person of interest in his disappearance and
Starr Waddell
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always wonder if the first book I finish in a new year will foretell what's to come in that year, at least where reading is concerned. I 70 percent loved this book. I identified with the main character and liked how she had what seemed almost like superhuman capabilities because of her mental illness. I know most people will not see it that way; even the other characters around her didn't see her that way, but that's how I felt. I enjoyed the voice, the writing style. It had an easy flow.

The

• Before She Was Found
  • The Escape Room
  • Beautiful Bad
  • Someone We Know
Writer and Psychologist. Living in Nashville.