Start by marking “Love's Trials (Revolutionary Heart, #2)” as Want to Read:
Love's Trials (Revolutionary Heart, #2)

Love's Trials

(Revolutionary Heart #2)

Colin and Joshua faced the most harrowing ordeal of their lives with strength and courage. Believing they'd survived their trial, they looked forward to a future filled with happiness only to discover that the worst was yet to come. Sometimes surviving is the toughest trial of all.

After half a lifetime spent in short-term liaisons that allowed no intimacy, charismatic Iris
Published October 12th 2018 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about Love's Trials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Trials

Start your review of Love's Trials (Revolutionary Heart, #2)
Karen
4.5 stars rounded down.

It’s back to the world of academia…

In ‘Love’s Magic’ we were introduced to the characters of Professor Nate Reese, Professor David Gardener, Sergeant Colin Campbell & Dr. Joshua Abram and while we saw Nate and David get their happily ever after we really only saw the beginning of Colin and Joshua’s story, so now here in ‘Love’s Trails’ the reader/listener gets the rest of their story.

For both of these couples getting to their happily ever after has been a hard fought b
Lelyana
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, mm, arc

In this installment we met more of Joshua and Colin.
Their love starting to get more bumps and trial.
Frankly, I liked Nate and David's dynamic more, and I didn't really interested in Colin and Joshua.
I remember it was insta-love between them, the chemistry was mediocre, I didn't feel too strong about it.
I was still trying to finished it, but this one. as well, not my favorite of the series. Let's move to book three.
Diane Dannenfeldt
DNF. I liked the characters okay but just couldn’t get into the story.

Audio ARC provided by Gay Romance Reviews in exchange for an honest review.
Geoffrey Knight
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Love’s Magic, we thought that Colin and Joshua had passed the tests of life and love and emerged victorious, but in this follow-up to the first book in Janice Jarrell’s Revolutionary Hearts series, we see that their trials and tribulations are only just beginning.

What makes Love’s Trials so compelling is its authenticity in terms of setting and character. The first part of the story is set against the backdrop of the harrowing 2017 Unite the Right riots in Charlottesville. Ms Jarrell not onl
Sue
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BEAUTIFUL ENDURING LOVE STORY

This absolutely gripping love story that speaks of the current climate in America is amazing. Colin and Josh face new challenges, heartache and danger in this sequel to Love's Magic. This story deals with some real, TRUE to life problems. I want to say that this author has her own style of writing. I personally always feel like I'm right in the book with the characters. Like I could reach out to comfort Josh. Slap Colin in the back of the head, when his Irish is up.
Josh Dale
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start with this review? I guess at the beginning. The book follows on from the first book in the Revolutionary Hearts Series. We meet Colin and Josh at a rather settled time in their relationship and everything seems to be on an even keel.

Then the author suddenly takes us on a gut-wrenching trip of emotions, that will rip your heart out of your chest wring it tight and pull it apart before the author pieces it back together.

We see how both guys and their friends deal with this trouble
Karolina Cebula
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review in English and Polish || Recenzja po angielsku i polsku

After a tumultuous struggle with his feelings and with himself, Colin Campbell finally settled down and for months has enjoyed a satisfying, blissful life with Josh. Unfortunately, peace and joy can't last forever, because fate has completely different plans for two lovers. When the Charlottesville authorities agree to the neo-Nazi march, from the very beginning it is known that it will not be a peaceful manifestation, but a real stru
Kirstin
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Mother of Audiobooks. This was fantastic!

First, I'd like to gush about Walker Williams, who not only narrated this gem of a story but performed it so well, Joshua and Colin were alive and well, telling me their story. I loved his take on Colin's voice. It was magical and he made this already fantastic book even better with his contribution of talent.

I fell hard for the couple in the first book, but this was the continuation of their story, post-trauma from book one. And just when we thoug
Amy Dufera
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! Love's Trials, book two in Janice Jarrell's Revolutionary Heart series is amazing!

Colin and Josh are back, and are dealt some tough obstacles. They have to deal with a dangerous drug case, the Charlottesville Neo Nazi march, and more. The scenes of the Charlottesville rally are as riveting as they are haunting. It was bad enough to see these events on tv, but to read about them from the characters points of view is mind-numbing. It's a tough read, but so worth it.

This story is one
Gabbi Grey
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite couples (an audio review)

I loved Love’s Magic and was happy to hear Love’s Trials was coming out on audio. Needless to say, I snapped it up. In the first book I always felt Colin and Joshua were the secondary couple. They were given as much time as David and Nathan, but because they were introduced second, I never quite connected with them the same way. Fortunately I got a second chance to get to know them in this book.

In the first book, when I realized the book was set in Cha
Karen
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story is set in Charlottesville, and we get a glimpse of what it was like there during the horrible riots in 2017, which I thought was very interesting. For the MC's though, on a more personal level, the trouble really only starts after the riots, when Colin gets hurt in an unrelated shooting.

Sorry to say, but this is where the story started to become too melodramatic for my taste. Unfortunately, once the tone is set, the drama and scenes just keep on coming.

I had a hard time believing in
Maria Vickers
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't even know where to begin. This book hit me hard. I laughed, I cried, I wanted to slap someone, and this time it wasn't the characters...well, maybe them a little. LOL. Ten years ago, I became sick and disabled, so this one hits close to home. I could relate to Colin on a level I couldn't in book one, and while it was an emotional read, I absolutely loved it. Let's get into the review.

STORY: 4.5 STARS
Colin, Josh, Nate, and David are back, but this time the story solely focuses on Colin a
Lee
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dynamic. Rich and Powerful.
How can one possibly emulate the mistress of gay novels, Janice Jarrell?
Here's the thing.
One cannot.
So let's talk.
I've said it before that Ms Jarrell's style lends itself to a dynamic of wealth and power in the most subtle, beautiful way.
Her descriptions sing.
Her prose rings out like distant church bells on a lazy Sunday morning.

And Walker Williams brings all of it to life.
Perfect life.
He has that eclectic resonance that dances through the voice of each chara
K.R. Phoenix
🌟🌟🌟🌟 4.5 stars
🔥🔥🔥 Heat Level: 3.75
🎧🎧🎧🎧 Narration: 4.5

Another emotional roller-coaster of reality, truth, love, and heartache!

Janice has a talent for such raw and real emotions that go beyond the story and settle in your heart. I loved Colin and Josh from book 1 and loved the chance to revisit them again. I really liked Janice’s approach to this story and how this fits with reality! Colin and Josh may have faced death but the story, pain, and struggles, was only just beginning, and this is so tru
Jaclyn  Amethyst  Mae
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Brilliant! She has a way of bringing her characters to life
The only thing that I disliked about this compelling read was that I wasn’t going to do it justice in my review.
The book is full of true to life characters. Not only is the narrative SHARP the plot is also spot-on regarding the current social events not to mention the amazing character development. I was hooked from page one.
It was necessary for Colin to get injured in the line of duty to facilitate the plot of the story. The raw emotio
ButtonsMom2003
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of the audiobook:
Performance: 5
Story: 5
Overall: 5

Great story, wonderful audio performance

I kind of feel like I've been waiting for this audiobook forever. 😊 It's really only been seven months or so but after listening to Love's Magic back in June 2019 I couldn't wait to listen to Love's Trials. I own all of the books in this series but I haven't read them simply because I am in love with Walker Williams performance of the stories and I knew this audiobook was in the works.

I was
Claudia
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, the first book definitively wasn't a fluke, because this one is as good as that one.

When the book begins, Nate and David are happily married, and they had become very good friends with Joshua and Colin.

But, of course, troubles are brewing: a white supremacists' rally at the college left them all unsettled. Add to that that there is a project going in which students are being used as bait to catch drug dealers in exchange of dropping charges of possession and/or distribution of drugs and av
Xanthe
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Writing this review the next day and I'm still recovering! The emotional turmoil that the characters go through, especially in the second half of the book, is just so heartbreaking. You know it's a great book when you're sat reading and shouting at the characters of the book to get their acts together.
Janice has written the two main characters so very well. Colin and Joshua got together in book one of the series are now sharing their lives and living together. Colons job as a campus police offic
Terri
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading the beginning of Josh and Colin's romance in Love's Magic, I was excited to read more about them here. These poor guys went through so much! Colin was basically Mr. Perfect, with his looks, singing talent, athletic prowess, and heroic actions as a police officer. He was wonderful. My favorite character though, had to be Josh. He was quieter and more thoughtful before acting; and he was nothing but supportive to the man he loved. When Colin was injured and his pride was keeping him ...more
Claudia Lezár
3,5*
PLEASE READ FIRST MY RATING SYSTEM!!!

To my ratings (thanks to amazon I had to change it again and 'upgrade' it a little bit)

5* - very very good and rare (it would be a Blow- Away-book like 'Liberty' from Seth King,
'Save the kids' series from EM Leya or 'Jesse's Smile' from Angelique Jurd), it's like an A+

4* - very good and will be often reread and is a WOW-book with interesting plot and surprises
(like most of Andrew Grey books) it's like an A

3,5* - a really good book, which will be rerea
Becky Baldridge
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
An emotional roller coaster! I'll admit that I went into this second book in the series with some trepidation. I liked Colin and Josh in Love's Magic, but Nate and David had my heart. Thankfully, I did get some time with them in this one, and while they still have me, Colin and Josh have their place in there too. Love's Trials is loaded with angst and turmoil - actually, a bit more than I normally care for. However, here's where this author wins me over - The characters. They're real, like reach ...more
Mari  Cardenas
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angsty, 4-stars, series, action
4 Stars

Love's Trials is book 2 in the Revolutionary Heart series and it needs to be read in order. This time around the story focuses mainly on Colin and Joshua, although Nate and David feature prominently in it.

Colin and Joshua's relationship is flourishing, but their love is tested when Colin gets a new case at the campus police where he works.

I still like Joshua more than I like Colin, although I will admit that there were a few times in which I wished I could shake some sense into both of th
Faye K
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW 5 PLUS STARS.. This author is brilliant with writing stories that get you loving the characters. The first book of the series is gorgeous and so is this one. Note: you WILL need tissues for this book, I totally needed them. Okay so the start of the book is not an easy read as there's horrible scenes in the story. A protectors group at University goes wrong and people die as supremacists rampage. Colin get hurt and this makes Joshua angry, but Colin is a Cop just doing his job. But that's onl ...more
Maggie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ove’s Trials picks up where Love’s Magic ended. Colin Campbell, campus police Sargent, is tasked with heading a risky operation to catch a notorious drug dealer selling drugs to students at the university. David Gardner, beloved professor, is also involved with assisting Colin.

When I read the blurb, I thought the book would be about undercover police work, but the author gave me a bigger surprise, so the book is aptly named.

I’ve never read a romance where the trials of an already established rel
Melanie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-eUZ

From that review: "Love’s Trials (Revolutionary Heart #2) by Janice Jarrell is another one of those stories whose rating I dithered over.  Well written with a compelling story I need to keep asking myself why the disconnect with it?  Because for me there was one.

It wasn't totally with the  location and  storyline.  That "ripped right from the headlines" plot about the "Unite the
Judy
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently found this author and I sit fretting over writing the review for this series. I’m a reader and my skills at writing are next to none. Yet I hope someone will come away from my reviews of the books in this series wanting to read them. I am so glad I had the books from the series when I started. I’m not a patient person and once I started these I had to keep reading. There is so much emotion to this series. This book is a continuation of the story in Love’s Magic. I read a lot of books ...more
Patricia Hoffstaetter
Shelves: finished-reading
I honestly enjoyed reading this amazing, emotional yet heartwarming MM romance.
It is about: the heartbreaking, anguished filled journey of two men (Colin, an Irish Policeman) & (Joshua, a Psychologist) and the trials & tribulations they go through to find their love & happiness again.
There is: drama, intrigue, twists & turns, law enforcement, drug dealers, cases, reports, informants, investigations, suspects, shootings, injuries, memories, verbal banter, shock, emotional feelings, anxiety, verb
R
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, m-m
I wished I could of loved this book. It has all the elements I like in a book. Well rounded characters, in love with each other, working through issues. I think there was just to much drama with Colin being hurt.

He took his pain, anger and fear out on Joshua. Not seeing how much he hurt him and pushed him away. Shutting out the one person who should of been able to help him.

Joshua tried to rationalize away the pain that Colin caused. Along the way he started giving up on the relationship.

I thi
Elaine Gray
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very emotional and intense book from start to finish. The love that Josh and Colin had throughout the book you can see from every page. Clint and Joshua are great together. I’m glad to see an author that is addressing what is going in our world today, and what’s done with grace and respect for the victims in North Carolina.
We all have a tendency to lash out when we are hurt and I’m glad that they were able to work out their differences. Nate, David, Trent, and are the greatest friends. Both Josh
Lovingbooks1
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, audible
* AUDIOBOOK REVIEW *

Josh and Colin goes through a lot of challenges, how will their relationship survive....
I loved this emotional story, it made me laugh and cry and I was pulled in to the story from the beginning.
No unnecessary descriptions of surroundings
Good dialogues
Well written characters with individual personalities that spoke to me.
The storyline progresses nicely to a good ending

Narrator:
Excellent narrator, clear pronunciation and read with feelings.
I did however feel that the attemp

• Rules to Ignore (Davey's Rules, #7)
  • Pros & Cons of Deception (Pros & Cons, #2)
  • Baking Battles (Scandinavian Comfort, #3)
  • Remember Me (Dread+Terrible, #2)
  • Pros & Cons of Vengeance (Pros & Cons #1)
  • Reign or Shine (Rosavia Royals, #2)
  • Up for Heir (Rosavia Royals, #1)
  • Throne Together (Rosavia Royals, #3)
  • In His Court (Rosavia Royals, #4)
  • Barely Regal (Rosavia Royals, #5)
  • Love Means More (Good Bad Idea, #2)
  • Surviving the Merge (Chadwick #1)
  • The Omega Professor's Secret Baby
  • Single Omega Dad (The Omega Misfits, #4)
  • Syzygy (Augarten, #2)
  • Equinox (Augarten #1)
  • Disrupt (Iron Heretics MC, #1)
  • Iblis’ Affliction
My name is Jan Jarrell. I am a retired grandmother who lives in Seattle, WA. I’ve been writing gay romance since I was twelve years old, only back then it wasn’t called ‘gay romance’. In fact, it had no name at all. It was the fifty’s, and it was worth your life to admit to being gay, let alone confess to being a girl who constantly fantasized about relationships between gay men. Hell, I didn’t ev ...more

Revolutionary Heart (6 books)
  • Love's Legacy  (Revolutionary Heart, #0.5)
  • Love's Magic (Revolutionary Heart, #1)
  • Magic Spells (Revolutionary Heart, #1.1)
  • Trial Runs (Revolutionary Heart, #2.1)
  • Love's Glory (Revolutionary Heart, #3)