Start by marking “Dead in Venice” as Want to Read:

Dead in Venice

AUDIBLE CRIME WRITING GRANT FINALIST - AUDIBLE EXCLUSIVE

Audible Audio
Published September 11th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Dead in Venice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead in Venice

Start your review of Dead in Venice
V Nerd ✨Audio Killed the Bookmark
Bella Tyson is a famous author, her genre is crime and she loves to write a good old Murder Mystery, but there is one thing holding her back at the moment, and that is writers block, after a messy and bitter divorce a couple of years ago, she just can't seem to get back into the swing of it.

She receives an email from a fan who offers her an apartment in Venice to help her with new ideas for her new novel.
Bella obviously jumps at the chance, and soon starts thinking of ideas for her new book.

Zoé-lee O'farrell
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Wow, where do I start with this! This is a different kind of tour and one I loved as it was an audiobook review! I hated having to go to work because I just wanted to sit and listen all day in the car. I was a goner from the opening lines!

I have to say you need to go and buy this audiobook straight away! Deryn Edwards who reads this masterpiece is absolutely fantastic as Bella! I was laughing so much when she was reading. She got Bella, she got her voice to a tee! It was a fantastic pairing, and
Carmen Radtke
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolute gem! A Romcom that is as insightful as it is funny (and it is snort-out-loud hilarious), a mystery that is dark, compelling and utterly enthralling, and Venice. Bella is the kind of heroine most women would love to be and Will the kind of man we’d love to meet. Funny, loud-mouthed, mature protagonists with flaws, curves and the kind of wit that makes Fiona Leitch’s writing reminiscent of Richard Curtis’ films - I need to listen to Dead in Venice again. Right now. And hope ...more
Laura Știrbu
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fiona writes for all senses! Hear the water running under the gondola, feel the drops that splash your skin, taste some delicious croissants, smell... well, smell Venice! And see great landscapes and quite a few intriguing men! Oh, did I mention the scary ghost part? If it were a movie, I would have watched it through my closed fingers! In the end, I am happy Bella found her way our of Venice, because she has to lose herself in another town! Soon!
Danielle
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and Frivolity and Murder in Venice!

Oh what fun! Hilarious and witty protagonist in one of the best cities in the world. Suspenseful and kept me hooked even though I guessed a few plot points. Great twist in the end and all the characters are lovable. Hoping for a sequel in NYC!
Rachel
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stonking book. Rom com meets crime in such a fresh and refreshing way. Dirty laughed through half of the book and cried at the end. Amazing book. Top 3 of 2019 for me ...more
Hayley
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on my blog: https://rathertoofondofbooks.com/

I jumped at the chance to be on this blog tour as I very much enjoy listening to audio books and I loved the sound of Dead in Venice, it sounded like it might be something a bit different for me. I’m so glad that I did because the audiobook more than lived up to my expectations!

Dead in Venice is about Bella, a crime writer who has terrible writer’s block and is desperate to come up with an idea for her next novel.
Alison
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
It’s been a little while since I have listened to an audiobook, not sure why because after hearing Dead in Venice it reminded me how much I enjoy the experience, especially if you have a story you can sink your teeth into.

At just about 6 hours long it’s a fairly short book but boy does it cram a lot in. I have been to Venice so I could get a taste of where this was likely to be and the atmosphere but even if you haven’t visited the place in real life you are soon immersed in it fully. The
Jane Badrock
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first and only book I have listened to and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I might even say that it is better to listen to than read as it lends itself so well to the medium and is brilliantly narrated. So if you are put off by the format, try it, I'm sure you'll love it as I did.
Podenca
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
CHIAROSCURO!!! This appropriately enough, would be the best word to sum up this Italian set book - light and dark - comedy and tragedy - lighthearted flippant quips meet the grisliest hard hitting topics in, what seemed to me. often an uneasy marriage of convenience.
At first I thought this seemed like an Agatha Raisin reboot with a lot of Jane Fallon-like intrigue told in a comedic conversational lighthearted tone - then just when you are settled in for a fun filled frivolous romp ...
Andie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, laugh-out-loud kind of romcom! (which is my kind of book!)

I laughed my way through this hilarious romcom, staring with the first few pages (you'll have to read it to find out why!) Fiona Leitch is a true talent in this genre. I'm downloading the audio version for a road trip even though I've already read this fantastic book. Probably not a good idea to drink hot coffee while reading this, because you will laugh. And it will come out your nose.
Mark Walker
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great romantic tour of the sights of Venice....not, although it is obviously set in Venice, and there is a smattering of romance, it is also a grotty tale of intrigue and murder. Its fairly short and sometimes predictable, but all comes together in an ending that you don't necessarily see coming from the end of a Gondola! A fantastic debut!
Louise
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this book is really enjoyable, beautiful setting, clever plot with a clear message.

Some of it grated, I love a psychological thriller, I love a bit of romance. This fell in the middle and FOR ME the really grisly nature of the murder thriller did not fit with the romantic elements so I started to lose a bit of belief.

However, its still a great plot, clever ending. 7/10
Sandy Barker
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wild ride of a book. Fast-paced, hilariously funny, disturbingly gruesome and so romantic!

I couldn't put it down.
jhanami
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked this up I expected a light-hearted, chic-lit, cosy crime in a random ‘romantic’ location (and I would have been fine with that) but what I got was so much better!
The writing is light-hearted indeed, and funny, and irreverent - with a credible, likeable heroine who doesn’t take herself too seriously and keeps poking fun at numerous romance and crime tropes and cliches along the way (I gather the author has come across a few of those!).
The subject matter quickly becomes more serious
Vanessa Wild
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told in the first person by best selling author, Bella Tyson, who is suffering from writer’s block. One day she receives a mysterious invitation to stay in Venice, along with a book about Venetian folklore. Deciding to take up the offer, she travels to Venice where she meets Will Carmichael, an Interpol agent. Together they end up trying solve some rather gruesome and bizarre murders which seem to link to the book Bella has been sent.

What to say! It starts out really well. The writing style is
T Rowley
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was only 2% in on my kindle and I knew already I was going to LOVE this book!
I was chuckling to myself at the wit and humour within the first few pages of the prologue.
This is a very cleverly written book, the writing style is original and relaxed, it feels like chatting with your best friend. As the story develops it weaves between what is happening to the main character in Venice and the book she is trying to write and some good old murder mystery is thrown in for good measure!
This is a
Arkgirl
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a book that has much to offer - romance, mystery, some supernatural elements plus some beautiful descriptions of Venice - but what felt initially felt like a 'cosy crime' turned a little more graphic and gory then became very dark and I do feel that these tonal changes were a little jarring.
Overall I enjoyed it and I liked the idea of a crime writer being the first person narrator as she explores writer's block then inspiration from the events around her. Venice was captured really well
Beccy Thompson
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
I love a good crime novel and who doesn’t love a rom com? In this book, Fiona has blended both genres together to create a really fun read, there were parts of the book you just can’t help laughing aloud at and parts that just make you cringe. A well-written and well-paced novel that was perfect for an autumn afternoon read! Overall a fantastic fun read with likeable characters and an engaging storyline.
Lorna
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect when I picked this book up to read as it was a new author for me, but it certainly wasn't a laugh out loud, inappropriately funny and shocking story! I genuinely laughed (including a snort while reading on a train) from the first page, and the humour really offset against the violent murders. Thoroughly recommended!
Simone Padfield
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow just wow

Absolutely fantastic loved it, massive twists didn't see it coming. Can't wait to read more from this author. Thank you
Priya
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Funny and entertaining and set in Venice.. Sort of icing on the cake that!
The characters are interesting and I enjoyed the story.
Gill-Marie Stewart
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love books narrated by a confident, funny, idiosyncratic voice - and this one is exactly that. Great location and gripping plot.
Rochelle
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Review to follow
Susan Angela Wallace
Dead in venice by Fiona Leitch.
Bella Tyson is a famous 40-something crime writer suffering from writer’s block ever since a bitter divorce two years before. When a fan offers her the use of an apartment in Venice, Bella jumps at it, hoping a change of scene will have her writing again. Once there, she soon meets Will, a charming Englishman, who shows her around the city.
Enchanted by both Will and her new surroundings, Bella decides to write a supernatural murder mystery and begins researching
Brenda Blair
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this crime fiction book. I loved the ghost stories depicted in this fast paced read. I loved the fact that Bella was swept into a crime investigation just to realize that the love of her life was far from who he was. They met because of sad and horrible circumstances but Bella wasn’t going to give up on her love for Will. I also loved the ending and the fact that Venetian families will do anything to protect their family.
Terri
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bella is a successful writer who is suffering from writers block. When she receives a book from an Italian author with an invitation to visit Venice, accommodation provided, she jumps at the chance. If she can’t write in this vibrant, romantic city there is no hope. When she meets Will, a soft spoken 40 something Interpol agent Bella finds herself strangely drawn to him, add to that a string of grisly murders and an intriguing story evolves. Venice is one of my favourite places and the I was ...more
Melissa Gagnon
Aug 30, 2019
Marcia
Nov 15, 2018
maggie walker
rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2019

• The Snow Killer (DI Barton, #1)
  • Shadows from the Past
  • Monkspike: You Are Not Forgiven
  • Nothing Important Happened Today
  • Violet
  • Death track (Cavendish & Walker #3)
  • Jaffle Inc
  • Candy Canes and Buckets of Blood (Sprite Brigade Book 1)
  • Goes Without Saying
  • The Death of Irish Nell: A Detective Lavender Short Story (The Detective Lavender Mysteries)
  • Killer Motive
  • Fiona and the Whale
  • Christmas at Miss Moonshine's Emporium
  • Relatively Strange (Strange Series #1)
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers #1)
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • The Christmas Calendar Girls
  • Snowflakes at the Little Christmas Tree Farm: A cosy and uplifting Christmas romance