Start by marking “You've Been Volunteered (Class Mom, #2)” as Want to Read:
You've Been Volunteered (Class Mom, #2)

You've Been Volunteered

(Class Mom #2)

In the eagerly anticipated follow-up to Laurie Gelman’s "irreverent and hilarious" (The New York Post) hit Class Mom, brash, lovable Jen Dixon is back with a new class and her work cut out for her

If you’ve ever been a room parent or school volunteer, Jen Dixon is your hero. She says what every class mom is really thinking, whether in her notoriously frank emails or standup
Published July 23rd 2019 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about You've Been Volunteered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You've Been Volunteered

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Okay, friends. This book is too much fun! I had some big ‘ole belly laughs, which I needed. ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Jen Dixon is the main character here. She’s a class mom, and this is the follow-up to the first book, aptly named Class Mom. If you’ve ever been a school volunteer, or worked in a school period, you’ll appreciate Jen’s frankness. She doesn’t hold back in her emails to the annoying PTA president and with other parents either.

This time she’s room mom for Max’s third grade class. But now Jen has more
Berit☀️✨
Laurie Gelman has spun a whimsical tail full of humor and fun. This is the follow-up to “Class Mom”. I did not read the first book and I don’t feel as though that impacted my enjoyment of the story, however he better bet I’m going to try to squeeze the first book in as soon as I can! Jen Dixon was such a marvelous character. So snarky, so sassy, someone you’d love to be friends with. Her outlook was so real and so refreshing! The emails she sent to the class parents were priceless, especially th ...more
Tucker
Dear Laurie Gelman,

Thank you so, so much for writing this book. Without it, I'm not sure how I would have gotten through my stay at the hospital. It kept me laughing, giggling and nearly peeing my pants. It lifted my spirits. It was honest, funny and heartbreaking. I have never read a book like it. I look forward to your next novel.

Best,
Tucker A.

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest |
Aga Durka
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
Jen Dixon is back!!! I loved "Class Mom" so you can imagine how excited I was to get an advanced copy of "You've Been Volunteered", sequel to the first book. Thank you NetGalley, Laurie Gelman, and Henry Holt & Company for the opportunity to be one of the first ones to read and review this awesome book!
And once again Laurie Gelman does not disappoint...I was belly laughing while reading about Jen Dixon's new adventures in being Class Mom! As I was reading the novel I kept thinking
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: July 23, 2019
Genre: Chick Lit
Actual Rating: 4 stars

While I was slightly disappointed that this book wasn't as funny as the first book in the series I did enjoy it quite a bit. You've Been Volunteered should be read after Class Mom . I say this because both books follow Jen Dixon, her family, and her classroom duties (that she may or may not dislike). However, this book CAN stand on it's own if you choose to do so. Both books are light, funny, and have their own story line. A
Lisa Leone-campbell
In the latest book, Jen Dixon our snarky entertaining hero from Class Mom reluctantly becomes the room parent for her son Max's third grade class. Although many of the parents/children have returned, Gelman introduces us to even more new quirky parents.

With her best friend having moved away, Jen must also deal with a new PTA President she can't quite figure out as well as reluctantly volunteering as the new safety guard coordinator.

Meanwhile back at the home...Jen is dealing with a mouthy Max,
Basic B's Guide
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To: My bookstagram peeps
From: Basic B’s Guide
Date:
Re: You’ve been Volunteered review

Greetings nerds,

Jen Dixon is back and as snarky as ever. With Max now in 3rd grade she’s roped into being class mom again and back at it with her sassy emails. She’s giving me great material for my current job as PTA treasurer 😉. Like her previous book, Class Mom, we have a cast of characters that feel all too familiar. Gelman even tackles some heavy topics while still keeping it light and breezy. While I didn’
Lisa Leone-campbell
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot tell you how excited I was to learn that Laurie Gelman, author of the absolutely hilarious book Class Mom was writing a sequel! If you have or had elementary aged children, you will most definitely relate to the funny situations and amusing characters which Gelman has introduced to the reader.

Jen
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 laugh out loud, wipe the tears, don’t wet your pants stars to You’ve Been Volunteered!

I enjoyed Laurie Gelmans first book, Class Mom. I am happy to report that there is no sophomore slump in book two! In fact, I think the author has found her stride and I enjoyed book two even more!

In this installment, Jen Dixon is back as class mom for her sons 3rd grade class. In addition to her role, Jen has been tasked as the head of the safety patrol volunteers. Shenanigans ensue and her class emails are
Jordan Caldwell
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG I loved this book. I devoured Class Mom in a matter of hours, and this book fell into the same easy pattern. I love that Laurie Gelman was able to pick up Jen's character like she hadn't missed a beat. I felt like I was still flipping through Class Mom. Sequels are hard to read sometimes, because the main character that you love isn't always the same. Carrying a character's voice into a second, or third, book is a challenge, but Laurie did a remarkable job.

This book has just as many LOL mom
Cheryl
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Laurie Gelman's first book Class Mom and I loved her 2nd book even more!

I'm a class mom, grade parent, PTA Board Member and party chair galore at my kids schools. So relating to this book was easy as can be! I love LOVE LOVE the main character's sense of humor, especially because she says everything that I am secretly, thinking out and in email.

Are there any crazy life lessons in this book? No
Will it make you cry? Maybe from laughing to hard at Jen Dixon (The main characters) emails
Wil
Emma (bookish.em)
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhh I effing LOVE Jen Dixon! Just like the first book, I was laughing out loud OFTEN (and in public)! I really enjoyed the combination of kid drama and adult drama. I didn't really care for the daughters in this book to be honest, their stories seemed a little annoying but it was fine. I loved Jen and her friendships/toils with the other moms and her new friends. My feelings for Ron were definitely on par with Jen's, sometimes I thought he was amazing and then I was like WTF ARE YOU DOING? Ahh ...more
Erin
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to get an advanced copy of You've Been Volunteered as I heard that Class Moms was great. Luckily I was able to get a copy of Class Moms from the library and read both in one weekend!

I enjoyed the sassy and sarcastic humor of Jen Dixon and even though I don't have kids, the book was enjoyable and it made me laugh. I enjoyed seeing the women's friendships evolve and how life can get messy sometimes.

A fun & easy read for a gross winter weekend or a beach afternoon!
Janelle Mercer
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book even more than the first one! I was laughing out loud at lots of parts and tearing up towards the end. I can't wait to read more of Laurie's books! One of my favorite parts was the naming of Ron's BMW! If you liked the first book, youre going to love this one.

#YouveBeenVolunteered #NetGalley
Jen
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s like Laurie Gelman is in my head. I’ve been Class Mom. I’ve been voluntold to do something. I’ve written ALL the emails. The wit and sass that go into Jen’s…it could be me. IF I wrote everything I wanted to write. Remove my filter and I am Jen Dixon. And I love every bit of it. I even read a few emails from the book to my husband and he agreed. What can I say?

For every parent that has been class mom, knows a class mom, or has been suckered into something, this one’s for you. You will under
Becca!
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny!
Kaytee Cobb
Plenty fun and funny. I snort laughed a couple times, for sure. Felt kind of like a rehash of the 1st one though.
Amanda Cinelli Keith
Hysterical and so enjoyable. 4.5 stars. I absolutely love this author’s sense of humor, and laughed out loud so many times. I really liked her first book “Class Mom” but I think this one might be even better. I am looking forward to the next one because surely she will get roped in to being class mom at least one more year! :)
Look for this book this summer! In the meantime read Class Mom if you haven’t already. Thank you NetGalley for the advanced digital copy.
Melanie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LG-you make me wanna be a class mom (minus the tasteless and questionable book 1 shenanigans 🤔🥵😫 )... love this series and crossing my fingers for a third!!!
Meghan
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher, for this free eARC.

While half way through Class Mom last week, I was on Goodreads when I realized there was a 2nd one being published this year! I quickly requested it off NetGalley, and got approved 20 mins later. Thanks Henry Holt and Co. 😍

Jen Dixon is back, and still as hilarious! This time she is class mom to the 3rd graders, and somehow ends up as having to do crosswalk duty.

What I love about Jen is out outspoken she is, and how she just doesn't g
Erin
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Gail Herrmann
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Laurie Gelman's first book-Class Mom, and You've Been Volunteered is a very welcome 2nd book. The further adventures of a school volunteer Mom, Jen Dixon. It took me back to the days I was a school volunteer. I would have loved interacting with her. Sassy and witty humor. Situations that I could relate to...but funnier. Those were the days. Thanks to the author, publisher and Net Galley for the opportunity to read something that made me laugh out loud!
Cheryl
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Class Mom, I was anxiously awaiting this follow up book. Well I am happy to report that the laughs are still coming. Yet, maybe not as strongly as the first book. Yes, I liked this book and it was a one day read for me but not as much as the first one.

Jen is back. Back again. Yes, Jen did use the lyrics from an Eminem song to announce her return. So watch out "b**ches". You won't want to get on Jen's bad side or she will assign you a task like school guard for two hour blocks of t
Sue Seligman
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read and enjoyed Laurie Gelman’s previous book, Class Mom, I was eagerly awaiting her follow up novel You’ve Been Volunteered. This book did not disappoint. The story concerns Jen Dixon, her husband, Ron, two adult daughters, and eight year old son, Max. Jen is the Class Mom for Max’s third grade class and her irreverent and sarcastic emails to the other parents are laugh out loud funny. The characters in the book are empathetic and humorous, and the plot also deals with the universal the ...more
Joy Pierce
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!! Loved Class Mom and was so excited for this sequel.
Genevieve Trono
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
You've Been Volunteered is the follow up to Laurie Gelman's first fiction novel, Class Mom. As the parent to two grade school-aged children, I find her writing hysterical and super relatable.

Parenting is hard and sometimes you just need to laugh. Humor can get you through so much and Gelman's writing style is relatable and witty. She makes light of things that most any parent with school-aged children can relate to while also addressing family life with kids.

You've Been Volunteered is a wonderf
Natalie
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have had a wonderful few weeks of reading some terrific books. I processed, I cried, I reflected....then I read “You’ve Been Volunteered” and I laughed. I enjoyed “Class Mom” so I eagerly read this follow-up. It did not disappoint.

Alas, poor Jen is back as class mother and coordinator of the crossing guard program. Every step of this third grade journey is witty and funny. Jen is beset by problems, all met with incredible good spirit. With 2 problematic older daughters, parents with health pr
Lisa Sawangjang
🎶 This book is on fire 🎶

So, yeah.. I didn’t read book one, but it didn’t stop me from reading and loving book two. I now just want to go back and read it. This book had me laughing out loud and I really enjoyed the emails, sarcasm and all of the characters. (I lived for the emails though!) This book is humorous and if you have any kind of sense of humor at all you should pick up this quick read! ALL. OF. THE. STARS!

Thank you Henry Holt Books for my advanced copy in exchange for an honest review
Kristin Lanier
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIVE. HILARIOUS. STARS!!

Laurie Gelman’s sophomore novel, You’ve Been Volunteered, is a laugh-out-loud funny and charming story! Jen Dixon is back as Class Mom and I could not wait to read this! I devoured it in one sitting because I could not stop reading.

This second novel follows Jen Dixon and all of her antics as Class Mom of her son’s 3rd grade class. Her emails, thoughts and quick witted remarks were hilarious! I could not stop laughing while reading this.

A lot of sophomore novels don’t li
Rekha Rao
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was super hilarious and kinda relatable too! This is the first Laurie Gelman book that I have read and I absolutely loved it! Jen is no less than a super mom! School politics, friends, family, phew! Jen manages it all! Go Class Mom!
Highly recommended, especially if you want to have a good laugh! (come on, who doesn't!)
Laurie Gelman was born and raised in the Great White North. She spent twenty-five years as a broadcaster in both Canada and the United States before trying her hand at writing novels. Laurie lives in New York City with her husband, Michael Gelman, and two teenage daughters. Class Mom is her first book.

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Class Mom (2 books)
  • Class Mom
“My doctor told me to start eating from a bread plate instead of a dinner plate to manage my portions, and to stop drinking wine. He’s no longer my doctor.” 0 likes