Start by marking “Trust Me” as Want to Read:
Trust Me

Trust Me

Trust Me is the chilling standalone novel of psychological suspense and manipulation that award-winning author and renowned investigative reporter Hank Phillippi Ryan was born to write.

CAN YOU SPOT THE LIAR?

An accused killer insists she's innocent of a heinous murder.

A grieving journalist surfaces from the wreckage of her shattered life.

Published June 25th 2019 by Forge (first published August 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me, please sign up.
Hank Ryan Yes! It's me..and because we're alone here :-) I can tell you my real name is...Harriet. Which now I adore! But someone in college, long ago, made up…moreYes! It's me..and because we're alone here :-) I can tell you my real name is...Harriet. Which now I adore! But someone in college, long ago, made up the name Hank. And it just stuck!(less)

Start your review of Trust Me
Debra
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Trust Me, this book was a great psychological thriller.

“Do I ever get to start over?”

Mercer Hennessey begins her days by marking off the number of days it has been since her husband, Dex and their daughter, Sophie died. She was once a journalist who decided to become a stay at home mom to care for her daughter. Her whole world stopped when she lost her family. Mercer has been asked by her editor friend, Katherine, to write a true crime book about the
Kaceey
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.75*
Remember the case of Casey Anthony? The trial that held the world’s attention when she was on trial for the murder of her young daughter.

The premise of this book has a strikingly parallel theme to that trial. Though the author does acknowledge that fact, often referring back to Casey Anthony’s trial throughout.

Mercer has the opportunity to put her life back together after losing her family in a tragic accident. She’s offered the rare chance to pen a book chronicling the trial and
Berit☀️✨
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-besties, 2018
This book was a little quart room drama, a little psychological thriller, a little mystery, and a lot intriguing!

This book will leave you bewildered and unsettled and not knowing which way is up! A book about motherhood, tragedy, justice, and hope.... Astoria filled with lies, deception, terrible truths, and redemption... A book that will anger you, frustrate you, and leave you reeling....

Ripped from the headlines, Ashlyn is accused of killing her three-year-old daughter Tasha Nicole.
Linda
A lie runs until it is overtaken by the truth.

Hank Phillippi Ryan, you have turned my brain inside out in this one. Trust Me is like being in free-fall, tumbling and overturning again and again with no safety net in sight. Where, oh where will truth meet justice in this whiplash of a storyline?

Mercer clocks time in days numbered with a shaky finger gliding up and down on the steamed mirror in the bathroom. Each number represents a notch that moves farther each day from th
Fran
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journalist Mercer Hennessey was a full time mother to daughter, Sophie, putting her career on hold. Nothing could have prepared her for the accident that took the life of lawyer husband, Dex and three year old, Sophie. Her steamy bathroom mirror displayed 442, the number of days since the accident. Grief kept Dex and Sophie alive. Mercer would not allow her sorrow to retreat. She had become reclusive, seldom leaving her house. She kept replaying the car's horrendous skid into an oak tree on a sl ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Wow, Trust Me gets off to a nail-biting and intriguing start! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

A woman is accused of a murder she says she did not commit, while a journalist is grieving an enormous loss. These two join forces, but how and why?

If you are familiar with the Casey Anthony trial, this story will feel similar in some ways. That trial even plays a role in the book.

Mercer, the journalist, has lost her family in a tragic accident. She is having a very hard time (understandably so) when she is asked to wri
Carol
The Hook Having almost given up on Hank Phillip Ryan I decided to give her one more chance. She is a woman with much to offer in addition to her career as author. I respect her in her role as journalist,TV personality, her poise, leadership qualities, carriage when speaking to a group and her many awards. Where she lost me was in her series fiction. I've reviewed some here so you'll get the picture if you read those. Trust Me is a standalone. This veering from a series character and the topic intrigue ...more
Holly  B

A fictional trial that captivates Boston!

A popular journalist ,Mercer Hennessy has landed a contract to write a novel about a trial that is in session and being referred to as “Baby Boston“. Mercer is suffering from depression because of a tragedy that struck her family over a year ago and is ready to get back to work. She knows it will be an emotional roller coaster for her since the victim is a 2 year old child.

Her task is to turn this trial of the century into a true c
Amy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, my mind was officially blown as soon as I finished this one, you guys know that I read a ton of thrillers and love the feeling of not knowing exactly where a story is headed, but Trust Me takes things to a new level. I changed my mind at least a hundred times about what direction this would take, so many times that I started to confuse myself! There was so much going on here it made my head spin at times and it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

The blurb here is short a
Judy Collins
Q & A With the Author

MIND-BENDING! Award-winning author Hank Phillippi Ryan returns following her popular Jane Ryland series with TRUST ME —a fresh, polished, timely, and masterfully crafted sophisticated standalone crime thriller with a killer plot twist. Her BEST yet!

A delicious, cat-and-mouse game of manipulation and deception. A riveting psychological suspense thriller that will blow you away! One of the Hottest Thrillers of the Year. Top Books of 2018. 5 Stars +

TRUST ME is complex, chilli/>MIND-BENDING!
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
For the love of all that is holy (books!), please give me half stars already, Goodreads!!!!

This is such a true 4.5 for me that I really couldn’t decide whether to round up or down...so up it is!

This was my first book by Ryan and it raises such an interesting premise about who can you trust and how does it impact how you feel about said situations. Mercer is grieving the loss of her husband and young daughter when she is approached to write a book about a current murder trial (a moth
Woody
Jul 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a slow read. The first section was such a slog I almost gave up. I think they could have ditched the entire first section, taken the really relevant bits and dropped them in the second section with dialogue and maybe a flashback or two. One of the main characters is so over-the-top in words and deeds, I was beginning to think the narrator was hallucinating this entire story. Which would have been a better ending.
Lisa
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Everything ends. It’s the when and the how that surprises us.

SUMMARY
It’s been 442 days since the car accident that took Dex and Sophie away from Mercer Hennessy. She keeps count on stream on the bathroom mirror every morning and every one of those 442 days has been a struggle. Her former editor, Katherine Craft calls offering her a book deal. All she would have to do is watch courtroom testimony and write an instant book about the murder trial of “Baby Boston,” a toddler kille
LJ
First Sentence: Do you know me?

Journalist Mercer Hennessy struggles daily with the loss of her husband and child who died in an automobile accident. Reminiscent of the Casey Anthony case, Ashlyn Bryant is about to go on trial for the murder of her daughter Tasha Nicole, yet she swears she is innocent. Believing Ashlyn is guilty, Mercer accepts the assignment from her editor Katherine Craft to watch a live courtroom feed and write an "instant book" about the trial to be released as soon as
Lynn
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many reviews contain the story line so I will give my reasons for the 3 star rating. I was debating a two star rating but went with the three due to the author's skill at writing. I just didn't like the book. I had trouble keeping interested with the plot. I was forcing myself to continue thinking it would get better. It didn't for me.

Some of the reasons for this is it felt like a rehash of the Casey Anthony trial. I felt like I could see what was coming next. I would see the real people at the
Zachary Anderson
Sep 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so frustrating that it's a miracle I finished it. At about the 40% mark in the story I had my suspicions that this was to be an awful story and, sure enough, with the introduction of Ashlyn to Mercer in part 2 the ridiculous train started chugging. It feels like a dream mixed with a psychosomatic acid trip. I get that the author is intentionally trying to create an unreliable narrator and an unreliable foil but this...this was otherworldly in terms of confusion. The twist was so an ...more
Kathy
For those of us who remember the 1974 film Chinatown starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, there is an unforgettable scene in this noir mystery movie where Nicolson’s character is asking Dunaway’s character about the identity of a young woman. While getting angrier and angrier, Nicholson demands the truth and Dunaway alternates between his slaps saying, “my daughter, my sister, my daughter, my sister.” And, as it turns out, both are true, as the truth is often a slippery mesh of realities. I ...more
Lisa Leone-campbell
Mercer Hennessy was a reporter who loved her job and her family. After a tragic loss she withdrew from the world. But when her former editor calls and asks her to write a book about the trial of the century, Mercer decides it may be good for her.

A mother, Ashlyn Bryant has been accused of murdering her 2-year-old daughter whose body was found in a washed up in a garbage bag on the shore of a beach in Boston, MA. As Mercer follows the trial and writes her book she is positive Ashlyn h
Kendall
I first off want to say a huge thank you to the author giving me a signed copy of this book!

Wow.. this was a high tense read by Hank Phillippi Ryan! My goodness... I have to say right off the bat that you will definitely have a love-hate relationship with the characters in this book. This takes huge talent on the author's part! I wanted to throw my book across the room sometimes with some of these characters!

This book will have you turning your head quite a bite and questioning everything and
Laura Rash
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a page turner! You just can’t turn them fast enough bc you want, no, NEED to know what the truth here really is! For fans of true crime stories or Dateline addicts this is the book for you. Very timely and extremely original.
Lesa
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm breaking all my own blog rules by reviewing Hank Phillippi Ryan's standalone two weeks before release date. But, Trust Me, you're going to want to pre-order this suspense novel. If it's handled correctly, this should be this summer's Gone Girl. Ryan has been on the bestseller lists, but Trust Me should be her breakout novel, the one readers will remember.

With that kind of lead-in, now I have to say Trust Me is a difficult novel to summarize without spoilers. It's been over a year
Robin
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want everyone to know that it took *all* of my reading willpower not to skip ahead in this book. The story was so serpentine and tense that I could hardly stand the suspense. I hate it when that happens. OK, not really. I loved it. Very well done psychological thriller that to me was a cross between GONE GIRL and THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (A. J. Finn).

I took off 1/2 star as I started getting a little confused and off-balance, but then maybe that was the author's intent. I also felt it got a lit
LORI CASWELL
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Former journalist Mercer Hennessey is still trying to deal with the car accident that took her husband and 3-year-old daughter when her former editor, Katherine pitches her a true-crime book idea. Ashlyn Bryant is on trial for murdering her 2-year-old daughter. Bryant has proclaimed her innocence since she was arrested. Katherine wants Mercer to watch the trial and write about having the book ready shortly after the trial ends. Mercer agrees hoping it will help her
Judy Collins
Book Giveaway Contest Jan 23-Feb 6, 2019. Enter Here (1 of 3) paperback copies signed by the author.

Q & A With the Author

Who is the LIAR?

A delicious, cat-and-mouse game of manipulation and deception. A riveting psychological suspense thriller that will blow/>MIND-BENDING!
3 no 7
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Trust Me” by Hank Phillippi Ryan , is a first person narrative by Mercer Hennessey, who is struggling to go on after an accident that claimed her child and her husband.
“Using one forefinger I write on the bathroom mirror...442…Four hundred forty-two days since the car accident that destroyed my family.”

Mercer’s friend and business associate Katherine Craft, wants her to go back to work, to write again. She has the perfect assignment; Mercer will write a true crime book about Ashlyn Bryant, a woman
Rebecca
Still grieving her husband, Dex, and 3 year old daughter, Sophie, journalist Mercer agrees to write a true crime book about a young mother, Ashlyn, on trial for murdering her daughter, Tasha. Is it true that "only Ashlyn" could have killed her precious, 2 year old daughter? Will she be found guilty? How will Mercer's assumptions about Ashley affect the book, and is there more to the story? Lastly, how will Mercer's own grief affect the book?

This suspenseful story was unlike any I have read before. An
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I would have had this book read in one night had I need been so sick. I love a thriller and I love it when I am wrong but this one had me shaking my head. I could not for the life of me understand why Mercer, who believed that Ashlyn was guilty, would start believing everything Ashlyn told her. I wanted to throw the book at that point. You have to read this one to find out what is going on in these two women's head. I want to thank my sister (best friend) for every nighting me a copy of this to ...more
Subashini
3.5 stars.

I was drawn to this book for its premise of a grief-stricken former investigative journalist writing a true crime book about a mother on trial for killing her child. There is no fast-paced action here; it's a psychological novel with a slow, steady build-up. It's less about twists than about how "truth" can be utterly manipulated. It made me think about the media, sensationalism, and our collective fascination with crime. A solid read.
LynDee
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A journalist who thinks she knows the truth. A murder suspect who may or may not remember which version of events is the one that actually happened. A tense and deadly game of cat and mouse. With this stunning and twisty novel, Hank Phillipi Ryan cements her status as a master of the modern thriller. Trust me, you don't want to miss it.
Pleasant Valley L...: August Book - Trust Me 6 10 Sep 03, 2019 06:58PM

• The Better Sister
  • Dear Wife
  • Forget You Know Me
  • The First Mistake
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • The Woman Inside
  • Favourite Daughter
  • Before She Was Found
  • The Stranger Inside
  • An Anonymous Girl
  • Layover
  • The Night Olivia Fell
Hank Phillippi Ryan is the bestselling author of eleven award winning novels of suspense. National reviews have called her a "master at crafting suspenseful mysteries" and "a superb and gifted storyteller."

Her newest psychological thriller, THE MURDER LIST, received a *starred review from Library Journal--which called it: Masterly plotted, riveting and a must read.

Her first psychologi