Start by marking “The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!” as Want to Read:
The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!

The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!

(The Adventure Zone Graphic Novels #2)

In the second Adventure Zone graphic novel (adapted from the McElroy family's wildly popular D&D podcast), we rejoin hero-adjacent sort-of-comrades-in-arms Taako, Magnus, and Merle on a wild careen through a D&D railroad murder mystery. This installment has a little of everything: a genius child detective, an axe-wielding professional wrestler, a surly wizard, cursed magic ...more
Published July 16th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The Adventure Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventure Zone

Start your review of The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love these graphic novels. I got the BN edition with cute little cards in the back!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Charlotte
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-manga, mcelboys
Tres Horny Boys are back at it again, and I couldn't be happier to be along for the ride. The Adventure Zone stands out as one of the most exciting, clever, hilarious, heart-breaking and brilliant works of fantasy fiction I've encountered and I'm so pleased to announce that this second volume is just as successful as the first in capturing the wonderful heart and essence of the podcast with style, panache and lots of Jenkins-bullying.

In addition to the crazy stunts, the most darling and wonderf
Mary H
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pre-release review:
Oh, man, I am so stoked for this! I was forced strongly encouraged to read Here There Be Gerblins by a friend, and I fell in love with the graphic novel and have subsequently become addicted to the podcast. Seriously, in the three weeks since I started listening to The Adventure Zone, I've listened to 70 episodes, and I have no plans on stopping. But I also can't wait to read more graphic adaptations of the podcast!
Megan
CAAARRRREEEEYYY!!!!

CAREY PIETSCH CONTINUES TO BE BEYOND AMAZING AT ART. FACIAL EXPRESSIONS, CHARACTER DESIGN, ENVIRONMENTS, TINY DETAILS ON BACKGROUNDS, TINY DETAILS ON PAPER/BOOKS, TINY DETAILS ON EVERYTHING.

Listen, if you read Gerblins, you know what to expect from Rockport: Shenanigans. Absolutely hilarious hijinks. And deep character moments. And just a bit of foreshadowing. There's nothing about this book I didn't like just as much (if not more than) the podcast. But Carey's art just take
The Bibliopossum
7/23/19
I went through the book once, gonna re-read it before giving it a thorough review, but in short it holds up better than the first volume. No contest.
--------------------
12/4/18
There's a preview of this good child on the website and I'm already in love. Look at this jovial freckle-faced lad.
(view spoiler)
This is an Angus I can believe in.
--------------------
11/12/18
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Angus MacDonald is as magnificent in this book as he was in the podca
Ivy Moore
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: came-soon-18-19
On the book tour for Gerblins, they all praised Carey's design for Graham (The Juicy Wizard). And yeah, I bet this book'll be good. But I'm 100%, all in, totally on board, completely infatuated, in this for the Juicy Wizard.
Layla (Between the Lines)
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
Such a fun time. I'm really looking forward to the next one. Even if you don't listen to the podcast, I highly suggest picking up The Adventure Zone graphic novels if you're looking for something new to try.
Liz
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, own
While "Here There Be Gerblins" was more of a copy+paste of the original Podcast, "Murder on the Rockport Limited" did a flawless job of adapting the best parts of the podcast while mindfully trimming and adding, to make the story well-rounded and well paced. A wonderful adaptation and well told story that's both dramatic and funny and just so good! Some key jokes are left out of the comic, but this book does well at being it's own thing and adding fresh jokes that leave you in stitches. We will ...more
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
YEEEES FANTASY COSTCO 🎶 WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!!! GOT A DEAL FOR YOU!! 🎶
Adam
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three brothers and their dad started playing D&D and recorded themselves playing it. The podcast, The Adventure Zone, became so insanely popular, that we’re now getting the graphic novel treatment for the eight arcs of their campaign. What a world.

Listening to this campaign play out over the years was a source of joy. Griffin, the DM,is a natural storyteller, and the familial bonds of the players elevates the comedy and camaraderie with each episode. The story got good, then really good, then fu
Kales
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THE ADVENTURE ZONE. I will also be biased towards these books. I don't even care. It's a brilliant adaptation. And yes, it's an adaptation of the podcast. There are some significant changes in this one. We don't get the centipede fight, or the monster Bureau initiation fight. There is also a different ending to this one but the spirit, and the humor is still the same at the podcast.

I am obsessed with Griffin's character and the metafictional aspect of this graphic novel. I also love how i
Alex Schwartz
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This might be a bit of a biased review. I'm a huge fan of the Adventure Zone and borderline obsessed with the McElroys in general. There was no way I wasn't going to love this, especially after the fantastic first volume. Murder on the Rockport Limited improves on the first volume in almost every way and, just like the podcast, is where the real core of the Adventure Zone kicks off.

What I Liked
-The art. Carey Pietsch had already set the tone of this series of graphic novels in the first volume,
Rachel
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Renata
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great adaptation. I'm still not totally convinced how well these adaptations hold up if you haven't listened to the podcast and don't have these character voices in your head already?

Nevertheless: <3 Angus McDonald <3
Devann
The short version of any TAZ Balance review is just "god, I love Taako so much" but I'll try to say a few other things as well ;) This is probably my favorite campaign from Balance, although some of my favorite parts aren't really translated to this graphic novel adaptation. Still, all the characters and character designs are great and Clint does an amazing job of taking all their disorganized rambling from the podcast and translating into a much more linear and well-paced story. Also, I don't k ...more
Travis Riddle
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great entry in The Adventure Zone's "Balance" series.

It's really amazing getting graphic novel adaptations of this story. It's truly a fantastic tale, filled with interesting and surprising plot twists, fun and deep characters, and tons of varied, wild locales. While I loved the story, I'm not keen to re-listen to over 70 hours of content, so being able to relive it in this more easily digestible form with absolutely beautiful artwork accompanying it is great.

This second volume improve
Adri
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel adaptation continues to be top of the line. If you haven't listened to The Adventure Zone, I highly recommend it because this comic experience will be all the better for it! I love the way Carey Pietsch and the McEl-Boys have collaborated to comb through these arcs, tighten them up, and really let their finest moments and most iconic goofs shine. I laughed out loud, I rooted for these three idiots to find their way, and I felt my heart grow three sizes when they did.

A tongue-i
Celia T
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, graphic-novels
A lot of the spark and fun is lost in graphic novel format, since much of the humour of the show comes from improvisation & the sense of immediacy you get when the Horny Boys are experiencing their adventures in real time. If I had read this book with no context, I don't think I would enjoy it. But, oh well! I do have context! So I enjoyed it a lot! ...more
Caroline
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
IT'S a real surprise that a podcast has been adapted into such a uniquely exciting graphic novel. The art is wonderful- bright, colourful and fun whilst consistently being clear about what's happening, particularly in combat.

The characters are wonderful and Griffin's interjections as DM were well done and added an extra bit of comedy. I enjoy that there's plenty of humour but also a story-thread throughout. It's all enjoyable and good.

I also enjoyed this volume, maybe slightly more than the pr
Anna
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of course this was a delight! Great things all around: lots of little inside jokes for podcast people, a very very good Angus McDonald (the best character?!?), and an extremely good Garfield the Deals Warlock.
Ashley Daviau
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just can’t get enough of this series! The first installment is absolutely brilliant and the second is somehow even better. There is nothing like this series out there or that even begins to come close to it. I mean, in this installment alone we have a genius child detective, an axe-wielding professional wrestler, a surly wizard, cursed magical artifacts and two meat monsters. If that doesn’t intrigue the hell out of you and make you pick this series up then I don’t know what will! On top of al ...more
Autumn Byrd
description

🗡️ The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins

Content/Trigger Warnings: Talk of death, murder, depiction of decapitation, swearing

Friends, if you thought I was just going to stop with the first book of this series then you thought wrong! My inner nerd is screeching at high levels because of this book, for so many reasons. My number one, favorite thing in adventure books is a good murder mystery. Needless to say, I was hooked from the very title and it just gets better the minute y
Jay G
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

* I received a copy from the publisher for exchange of my honest review*

The second installment based off of a Dungeons and Dragons podcast run by three brothers and their dad, this adventure follows three unlikely heroes... Taako the elf wizard, Merle the dwarf cleric, and Magnus the human warrior. This time, the heroes board a train, meet a child detective trying to solve a murder and
Sam Wescott
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really fun. I actually liked this one a bit better than the first, but ironically, I think it might be because this wasn't my favorite arc in the podcast, so I'm not comparing it as harshly. I thought the art for Jenkins was PERFECT and Angus was so adorable, omg.

I am very curious about how the action comes across, though? It seems like it might be kinda hard to follow if you don't already know what happened from the podcast. The art is lovely, but I'm not sure it's always the best at getting t
rachel ☾
#1) Here There Be Gerblins ★★★★☆

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Andrew
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Adventure Zone graphic novel series, Murder on the Rockport Limited! continues the chronicles of a goofy trio of adventurers in a D&D universe. Based off of the podcast of the same name, this book continues to feature the humour, heart and fun of the first. In this episode, our "heroes" are tasked with recovering a valuable magical relic from a murdered investigator. The object possess a dangerous power, and must be destroyed at all costs. But to retrieve the artifact, the ...more
Rod Brown
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I only read the first volume of this because it was a Goodreads Choice Awards graphic novel nominee last year. And now I'm reading the second volume because it is in this year's Goodreads Choice Awards. As I vowed to myself with Monstress, this is not an error I will make a third time.

This murder mystery set on a train is dull, slow and not funny. I guess you really need to follow the podcast to get anything out of it.
Emma
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, graphic-novels
Another incredibly entertaining installment in The Adventure Zone series. I really appreciate how well this story balances some of the great comedy bits from the podcast with the overall narrative of the story. Carey Pietsch's art was great as usual! I especially loved how Jenkins and Angus McDonald were drawn.
Marta
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Taako, Merle and Magnus go on a train adventure, where they have to solve a magical murder mystery with the help of a plucky ten year old detective. Teleportation, rushing in, powerful magical artifacts, and much silliness ensues. A fun second installment. Looking forward to the next!
lexi ✨
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
i liked it, but i think it resembled murder on the orient express too closely. i do still love the graphics though

• Critical Role – Vox Machina: Origins
  • The Sawbones Book: The Hilarious, Horrifying Road to Modern Medicine
  • Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins Volume II
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Mooncakes
  • Witchlight
  • Snapdragon
  • Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins II #2
  • Bloom
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)
Clint McElroy is the father of Justin, Travis, and Griffin McElroy. He does the Adventure Zone podcast with them and has also appeared on several Maximum Fun donors-only bonus episodes.

Clint is the Ultimate Dad.

The Adventure Zone Graphic Novels (4 books)
  • Here There Be Gerblins (The Adventure Zone Graphic Novels #1)
  • The Adventure Zone: Petals to the Metal