Start by marking “Némesis” as Want to Read:
Némesis

Némesis

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  11,921 Ratings  ·  372 Reviews
Año 2236. La tierra y su centenar de colonias espaciales están superpobladas; llevan una vida anárquica y socialmente degenerada. A dos años luz de distancia, oculta en un rincón de la Galaxia, brilla una estrella parecida al Sol de la Tierra, una estrella que posee su propio sistema planetario: Megas, Erythro y Rotor, una colonia renegada de la Tierra. La estrella se llam ...more
Paperback, Los Jets de Plaza & Janés, 360 pages
Published July 1991 by Plaza & Janes Editores, S.A. (first published October 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Némesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Némesis

Jokoloyo
My first read of Isaac Asimov's work. It was a mind opening experience, for someone who hadn't read a science fiction work of a grand master level.

It is a stand alone novel, and it has no special distinctive idea (unlike Foundation series or Robot series), but the writing style is definitely Asimov's (Of course I can only say this after I've read his other works).

Nowadays I reluctant to rate Asimov's fictions full 5 star because his execution in storytelling is not so good, tend to be boring i
Simona Bartolotta
3.5
“The same anarchy, the same degeneration, the same thoughtless short-term thinking, all the same cultural and social disparities would continue to prevail—Galaxy-wide.

What would there be now? Galactic empires? All the sins and follies graduated from one world to millions? Every woe and every difficulty horribly magnified?

Who would be able to make sense out of a Galaxy, when no one had ever made sense out of a single world? Who would learn to read the trends and foresee the future in a whole G
Ahmad Sharabiani
Nemesis, Isaac Asimov
Nemesis is a science fiction novel by American writer Isaac Asimov. One of his later science fiction novels, it was published in 1989, three years before his death. The novel is loosely related to the future history; connecting several ideas from earlier and later novels, including non-human intelligence, sentient planets (Erythro), and rotor engines (Fantastic Voyage II: Destination Brain).
عنوانها: الهه انتقام؛ ملکه انتقام؛ نویسنده: آیزاک آسیموف؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه فو
Bryan
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I AM NOT QUALIFIED TO WRITE THIS REVIEW...

BUT IN THE SPIRIT OF WEB 2.0, I'LL ATTEMPT TO SPEAK AUTHORITATIVELY ON THE TOPIC.

Disclaimer:
I didn't realize this audio version was abridged, but when I saw that there were only 4 segments (and that each part was only 45 minutes long), I figured there must be some content removed.

So I'm the least qualified person to argue with the other reviewers who said this book was boring, with over-lengthy sections of dialogue that were repetitive and pedantic.

But l
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A brand new standalone story from the grand master of science fiction must have set fandom ablaze back in 1989 but comparatively prodigious length aside this offered nothing new in the Asimov canon aside from perhaps the authors approach towards things as he faced his impending death.

It's the story of Earth's early space travel, as settlers look beyond an Earth teeming with billions of unhappy people to new stars via space habitats built for a limited number (in this case 60k) of inhabitants. A
Cher
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is the ultimate distillation of every (6 or so) of the fictional Asimov books I've read:

-- great minds get together and have lengthy discussions based on what they should do based on limited knowledge, and somehow everyone unanimously agrees on the logical course of action

-- some weird mystical thing occurs that flies in the face of science or contradicts something he's already stated as a premise in the book
Robyn
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
Recommended to Robyn by: random bookstore find
I am sad to think that there are people who have never read Asimov who pick up this book, and then swear off all of his works because this book was SO. TERRIBLE.

*The characters are all the same, except for one or two points about them that will be drilled over and over.
*Horrible, boring dialog. If you enjoy the subject matter, great, but I really hate plots that are driven by pages and pages of conversation between two people who come to a huge revelation, some glaring fact, or solution JUST by
Owlseyes
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Nemesis, a red-star threat...to earthlings.The usage of a
revolutionary concept:a superluminal spacecraft...to solve the problem.

Another concept in the book: hyperspace.
Future Vision, back in 1989.

Just when, two days ago, a team of CERN,has announced that neutrinos (sub-atomic particles) can travel above the speed of light...well,somewhere Einstein must be reviewing some chapters of his Relativity Theory.[Review of Dec 20, 2011].
Jon
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Solid science fiction novel from Isaac Asimov, though I would expect nothing less. It could easily be inserted into his Foundation universe and act as the origin story since the plot is about humanity leaving Earth for the very first time. While I wouldn't recommend this book as an introduction to the author's work, it is a standalone and could be picked up whenever. Some of the characters were a little flat and the technical dialogue could drag on at times, but overall I really enjoyed the conc ...more
Abdul Kareem
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asimov is a damn good storyteller!
Tevfik
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Özellikle Vakıf dizisini okuyanlar için vakıfvari bir nostalji olacaktır. Vakıfta gördüğünüz tüm teknolojilerin öncüllerine bu kitapta rastlayabilirsiniz.
Zetta Kappa
Κλείνει με ατάκα κλεμμένη από ταινία και αυτό και μόνο αρκεί για να πέσει η βαθμολογία στα τάρταρα αλλά όπως προείπα δεν είναι μόνο αυτό... Πρώτη φορά που διάβασα Asimov και απογοητεύτηκα πολύ.
Metaphorosis
3 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

Orbital colonies face tension with an overcrowded Earth. One, with the help of a new drive system, breaks away to orbit an unusual star. A teenage girl on the colony begins to develop a rapport with a local lifeform, while on Earth, her father seeks ways to find the colony and make a family again.

This is one of the last of Isaac Asimov's solo novels, and I'm sorry to say it's not his best. It has his usual light-hearted, friendly style, but it lacks the spark of ing
Christian, Kelanth, Scala
Nemesis è un romanzo di fantascienza del 1989 scritto da Isaac Asimov. Non è ambientato nel suo famoso ciclo della Fondazione né in quello dei robot. È una storia a sé stante, ma alcune citazioni lo collocano all'inizio della storia futura, agli albori della colonizzazione dello spazio.

Direi che in una libreria, nella mia per esempio, il libro andrebbe collocato accanto a "Neanche gli Dei" e "La fine dell'eternità", quei romanzi che sono stand-alone, che si possono leggere a parte da tutto il re
Stacey
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's something entirely delicious about a well written piece of science fiction. It goes without saying that Isaac Asimov is a good name to look under for examples, but very often with Asimov you're looking at a minimum 3 book commitment. Not so in the case of Nemesis, a beautifully crafted and blissfully short jaunt into a future that not only seems possible, but invokes all the modern-day science documentaries we all love to watch but will rarely admit to enjoying.

Nemesis is set at a time
Michael
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-read
Truthfully, now all grown up, I don't appreciate Asimov the way I used to. It used to be a really neat back-in-time-to-the-future kind of read, where I got to see how people of the 1950's thought things would turn out. Huge computers governing our lives; new social norms springing up (see The Moon is A Harsh Mistress by Heinlein, or Friday by the same); a view of space-travel that was just like what they promised us; rotating space-stations that had variable gravity based on different spots on t ...more
Mina Soare
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, teen
I remember liking this book a lot when I was 12-13, I was a great Asimov and J.K. Rowling fan at that time :P. The best points of the book, rather, the best point is character construction, though if I am to refer to Garabet Ibraileanu's Adela, which I've been forced to read and yes, I do hold a grudge, ''females are always more interested in such aspects. For them "Anna Karenina" isn't exquisitely delightful in style, for them it's Anna, Dolly, Kitty, Vronsky''. Maybe he's right, but then scien ...more
Lauren
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the concept of this book and some of the scientific ideas in it. Space Settlements surrounding Earth have been growing and multiplying, and most of them are trying to develop ways of exploring the universe and detaching from Earth. One settlement called Rotor has two discoveries which quickly send it ahead of the rest.

I'll stop so I avoid spoilers, but Asimov seems to have had some difficulty bringing this particular plot to a climax. There are several disputes and issues during the cours
Alo
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Yates
This is a mostly escapist novel of intergalactic exploration and alien contact. Asimov generally weaves a good story, and this one is full of characters who are self-consciously making history. Once he mentioned that he never edits his work, and this could definitely have used some editing. Occasionally, mostly in the beginning, he gets pedantic and repetitious. But you keep turning the pages, just so you can find out what happens.
Kadir Kılıç
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: isaac-asimov
Başlangıçta Vakıf Evreni'ne dahil olan bir eser olmadığı için kitaptan hoşlanmamıştım ama kitabı bitirdiğimde kitabı tam olarak Vakıf Evreni'ne dahil edemesemde Vakıf Evreni'nde cevaplanmayan bazı soruları yanıtladığını farkettiğim için kitabı çok iyi buldum.
James Reagan
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asimov is able to weave complex and engrossing stories without relying on violence. He dares to imagine a future shaped not by weapons but by the ingenuity of the human mind.
Cloudbuster
Asimov rimane uno dei miei scrittori preferiti di science-fiction ma questo romanzo non mi ha convinto del tutto e non lo ritengo al livello di quelli più famosi appartenenti al ciclo della fondazione ed al ciclo dei robot.

Il tema del romanzo è interessante: una stella sconosciuta, che sarà battezzata Nemesis, si sta avvicinando al Sistema Solare e nel giro di 5000 anni potrebbe distruggerlo. Gli scienziati della colonia spaziale Rotor scoprono il pericolo e decidono di abbandonare il sistema so
Booky_Wookiee
I enjoyed this book, it was interesting and had some cool developments. I liked Marlene, she was a very different and intriguing character. The parts with Crile and Tessa were kinda boring, I skimmed those chapters, as they usually spent their time talking about stuff I didn't understand. There was a lot of technical things in the book that got a little boring. The whole organism thing was cool and being able to talk to Marlene, and even though the ending was good the plot was kind of anti-clima ...more
I_ty_toje
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
На мой вкус несколько уступает другим книгам Азимова.
Да, в книге есть отличная завязка на нескольких уровнях - и на уровне человеческой судьбы, копания в прошлом, и на уровне технического прогресса. Центральной же темой выступает размышление о природе человека, о том что изоляция это плохо, она ведет к деградации. Актуальная тема не только для года написания романа но и сейчас.
Что такое разум? Возможность узнать что-то новое? Отказаться от старых наработок, даже если они тебе очень нравятся? Или
আসিফ আজিম
আইজযাক আসিমভ সবসময়ই ভালো লাগে। বিশেষ করে ফাউনডেশন সিরিজের তুলনা কেবল এই সিরিজই। নেমেসিস পড়ে অনযরকম একটা আননদ পেয়েছি। লেখক নিজে যদি ভূমিকায় এ কথা না বলতেন যে, এটা তার অনযরকম লেখা, তাহলে বুঝতে কষট হতো যে, এটা আসিমভের বই। সমপূরণ ভিনন সবাদের এক বই। এরকম সায়েনস ফিকশন আসিমভ আর লেখেননি। বিশেষ করে সায়েনস ফিকশনের ভেতর থরিলার ধরণ, সতযিই অদভুত। কখনো মনে হয়েছে সপাই থরিলার, কখনো সায়েনস ফিকশন, কখনো মনে হয়েছে, এটা কেবলই একটা পরেমের উপনযাস।

এদিকগুলো চিনতা করে সতযিই বিশেষ ভালো লেগেছে এই বইটি। অনুবাদও যথেষট পরাঞজল
Jim
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Published three years before the death of one of the great masters of sci-fi in 1989, “Nemesis” is a stand alone novel. Unusually for Asimov there is a strong central female character in the shape of Marlene, a plain but highly intelligent teen, who is very perceptive about what others are thinking. Her character is developped as the story progresses.
T4ncr3d1
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, statunitensi
Nella prefazione a Nemesis, Asimov dichiara e giustifica la sua scelta di scrivere un romanzo con uno stile semplice e chiaro, alla portata di tutti, per il puro gusto di raccontare una storia di fantascienza e niente più. Non so se è effettivamente a causa di questo, ma Nemesis mi pare una spanna sotto gli altri grandissimi romanzi dello scrittore, che per stile, anticipazione e tematiche hanno meritato il loro giusto posto nella storia della fantascienza moderna.
Certo, Nemesis è pur sempre un
Isaac Cooper
Aug 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
The only interesting character in Nemesis is Marlene, the fifteen-year-old girl on the space station Rotor. She’s relatively human. The start of the novel has her thinking about a cute boy, who has taken a liking to a much prettier, taller girl. If this were the core story to Nemesis, and the science-fiction branched off around this human situation, it would’ve been great. That would make it similar to I Robot, which is an incredibly grounded sci-fi novel, so grounded you’re not even aware that ...more
Kathryn
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Sacrilegious though it may be to say, I’m actually not that huge a fan of any of the grand masters of science fiction. I like their stuff, but it isn’t the kind of thing I reread a dozen times and memorize and win contests about (that would be Lord of the Rings). I’m not sure why I feel that way. In Asimov’s case, I typically don’t like his characters, since they often are one-dimensional. (Foundation is a classic example. Tons of books, and a grand total of one appealing character.)

In Nemesis,
La Stamberga dei ...: Nemesis di Isaac Asimov 2 16 Jan 23, 2013 01:46AM
  • Imperial Earth
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • Eternity (The Way, #2)
  • Cosm
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • Footfall
  • To Sail Beyond the Sunset
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o
More about Isaac Asimov...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99

“It's just that old people always think young people haven't really learned about love; and young people think that old people have forgotten about love; and, you know, they're both wrong.” 8 likes
“She possesses what someone once described to me as all the unlovable virtues.” 3 likes