Start by marking “The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)

The Robots of Dawn

(Robot, chronological order #5)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  40,662 ratings  ·  1,358 reviews
A millennium into the future two advances have altered the course of human history: the colonization of the Galaxy and the creation of the positronic brain. Isaac Asimov's Robot novels chronicle the unlikely partnership between a New York City detective and a humanoid robot who must learn to work together.

Detective Elijah Baley is called to the Spacer world Aurora to solve
Published March 1st 1994 by Spectra (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Robots of Dawn, please sign up.
Irene I think you can understand the story, but there is a lot of previous information that is needed to enjoy it 100%

·  40,662 ratings  ·  1,358 reviews

Start your review of The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Robots of Dawn (Robot #3), Isaac Asimov

The Robots of Dawn is a "whodunit" science fiction novel by American writer Isaac Asimov, first published in 1983. It is the third novel in Asimov's Robot series.

Detective Elijah Baley of Earth is training with his son and others to overcome their socially ingrained agoraphobia when he is told that the Spacer world of Aurora has requested him to investigate a crime: the destruction of the mind of R. Jander Panell, a humaniform robot identical to R. Dan
Baba
Robot series, book #3 - What starts of as almost a carbon copy of the intros of the previous 2 books in this series, becomes yet another superbly crafted whodunnit in an almost crime-less society/planet, that not only sees 'Plainclothesmen' Elijah Baley and humanoid robot R. Daneel Olivaw help investigate the 'murder' of a another humanoid robot; but sees the simple passage of time become the greatest enemy of the perpetrator / perpetrators.

First published as late in Asimov's career as 1983, yet
Apatt
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
“I cannot say what I feel in any human sense, Partner Elijah. I can say, however, that the sight of you seems to make my thoughts flow more easily, and the gravitational pull on my body seems to assault my senses with lesser insistence."

Ahh.. good old R. Daneel Olivaw, how I have missed you.

It has been decades since I read anything by Isaac Asimov. When I started reading sci-fi in my teens Asimov was the go-to author for new readers. I was not quite ready for Heinlein or Clarke but Asimov’s The
Merphy Napier
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here's my classics wrap up where I discussed this one https://youtu.be/O-OVuWbmb7M ...more
Barbara
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

This sci-fi mystery takes place in the distant future when the Earth is vastly overcrowded and the entire population lives underground and has severe phobias about going outside.

When the story opens a humanoid robot has been "killed" on the planet Aurora which was colonized by Earth people long ago. A famous roboticist - the only one in the galaxy who knows how to create humanoid robots - is accused of the crime.

The detective Elijah Baley, an Earth-man, is called in to investigate with his robot
Alina
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The final chapter and, mainly, the final conversation, smoothly snatched the 5th star.
Ms. Smartarse
Our trusty hero, Elijah Baley, has formed a small "club" of people who venture outside their cities, in order to gradually get used to the outer world with its changing meteorological conditions. Meanwhile he has also been (unsuccessfully) petitioning, to be allowed a trip to Aurora. Surprisingly, he suddenly gets his wish, due to yet another crime investigation. Unlike in the previous books though, this time he has to solve the mystery behind a "roboticide" (as opposed to homicide).

ooooooh

I was lookin
Punk
SF. This is the third in the R. Daneel Olivaw series and Detective Elijah Baley has been sent off-planet to Aurora to investigate a roboticide. He's loaded on a spacer ship, deloused, and then sent to his quarters where he's to remain for the duration of the journey. Everything's so foreign and uncomfortable that Elijah can't help himself when he sees Daneel come through the door -- he hugs him.

These books are all still about the love between a man and his humaniform robot. Over the course of th
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-shelf, sci-fi
Compared to the first two Robot novels that were written a full 30 years before this third even saw print, I thought it should have been superior. I wanted it to be superior.

Unfortunately, while the exhaustive and thorough uncovering of the robot-murder mystery was pretty interesting, my enjoyment of it was dampened by an equally thorough focus on human sexuality.

Let me be very clear on this: it's not the fact that sexuality is that big a deal in general. It's the fact that it's like reading a '
Patrick
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, classics
Sadly, I did not like this book as much as I wanted to. I love the mystery solving detective Baley and his robot sidekick, Daneel, but the story fell short for me.

First, there was way too much discussion about the landscape, traditions, sexual practices, bathroom business, etc on Aurora that I would rather not know. I wouldn’t have read this if I knew it was an ethnography for the first 240 pages.

Second, the book was twice as long as the others which really diluted the greatness it could have
Silvana
Notwithstanding and acknowledging the author's indecencies during his life time, I found it hard to stay away from his works since they could be really, really good. His crisp, plot-driven, non-flowery delivery suits me really well. His books, like this one, are enjoyable thought exercise.

The story is about a murder investigation so you could expect there are lots of questionings and speculating. Yet, each tête-à-tête was riveting, kept me glued for more than 400 pages of them. I might have som
Catie
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that I would have really liked to know Isaac Asimov. I am usually too lazy to add photos into my reviews (Applause for all you creative types out there!) but I had to share this photo from the jacket of my book:

Photobucket

I mean, Jehoshaphat! Have mutton chops, nerd glasses, and a bolo tie ever been so adorable? I know I don’t think so. He was, by all accounts, an incredibly brainy person (He was the vice-president of Mensa!), but, to me, his humble, plain-speaking nature really comes across in
Trish
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third case of Earther detective Elijah Baley and R(obot) Daneel Olivaw.

This, time, Baley is forced asked to go to the Spacer colony Aurora after someone has messed with / destroyed a robot's positronic brain. Why is he sent? Well, he's got a reputation by now, many Spacers actually trust him, and the supposed guilty party is none other than Han Fastolfe, the inventor of the robot in question. Fastolfe had dealt with Baley before and is a member of Aurora's political system who's actually ami
Stephen
4.0 stars. I really enjoy the Robot novels by Asimov. He is a master at creating larger than life characters and then making you care about what happens to them. This story begins the bridge between Asimov's Robot novels and the Foundation series. Highly Recommended!!

Nominee: Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1984)

Nominee: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1984)
Kit
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay, so star rating==not always indicative of book quality with me, but before you say I am unfairing this review, let me explain you a thing: (( SPOILERS TO FOLLOW ))

My god, I adore robots interacting with people. My god. I am sure none of you could tell this about me at all because I am clearly quite subtle about it, but I have always been delighted to read about closeness between humans and nonhumans. I love the way it makes me think about how logic and reason works in different people as we
Simona B
Even more incredible than the first time I read it.
Ivana Books Are Magic
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know even if this novel wasn't as a great read as it happened to be, it would have deserved five stars on the merit of that last chapter alone. The ending of this novel was absolutely brilliant. Not only that I didn't see it coming, I didn't expect anything of the kind. It was such a worthy ending to the series! Talk about finishing with style! Still, let's get back to the beginning, shall we? This is the final novel in Asimov’s Robot series and it happens to be my favourite one. I liked the ...more
Marie
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jason Pettus
THE GREAT COMPLETIST CHALLENGE: In which I revisit older authors and attempt to read every book they ever wrote

Currently in the challenge: Martin Amis | Isaac Asimov (Robot/Empire/Foundation) | Margaret Atwood | JG Ballard | Clive Barker | Philip K Dick | Daphne Du Maurier | William Gibson | Michel Houellebecq | John Irving | Kazuo Ishiguro | John le Carre | Bernard Malamud | China Mieville | VS Naipaul | Chuck Palahniuk | Tim Powers | Philip Roth | Neal Stephenson | Jim Thompson | John Updike |
Ivana
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Why is that I always have such a hard time writing about my favourite novels? I'm not sure, but it is always so hard to find the right words to describe literature that I hold in high esteem.

This is the best novel by Isaac Asimov that I have read so far. I was just amazed by it. I do like Asimov and from my book shelf you can see that I'm no stranger to sf. However, The Robots of Dawn was something different. It was just perfect. It dealt with so much, from politics to social customs. In one se
sologdin
Nutshell: always already famous detective concerns himself with the setting-significant wrongful decommission of an AI dildo.

Elijah is preceded in all his endeavors by the hyperreal version of himself from a "hyperwave dramatization," produced regarding the events of The Naked Sun (5). Everyone whom he meets mentions it--so the point of the novel in some ways is that the Real must tirelessly overcome a precession of hyperreality. Part of the hyperreality of the setting is the simulation of human
Davyne DeSye
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just love this book, for so many reasons!

First, the purely obvious one: I love the duo of Elijah Baley, hard-boiled detective, and R. (short for ‘robot’) Daneel Olivaw, his partner, so of course, I would be pleased with another installment of their detecting adventures together! (While this story is the third in a series, it stands completely on its own and can be read and enjoyed without having to read the first two books.)

I also love the romance in this one. Asimov is not very big on including
Raj
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, whodunnit
Plainclothesman Elijah Baley is back in space, sent by Earth at the request of Aurora, the oldest and most powerful of the Spacer worlds, to investigate the 'murder' of a humanoid robot. At stake is not just his own career, but the entire future of Earth and the future Galactic Empire.

It was in this book that Asimov starts sowing the seeds to start connecting his Galactic Empire/Foundation books with his Robot series, with one of the characters explicitly talking about psychohistory in a chain t
Stephen
4.0 stars. This is either the third or fourth book in the Robot series (depending on whether you want to include the short story collection I, Robot as the first book in the series. In this book, written in 1983, begins the process of integrating the Robot series with Asimov's Foundation series and provides an explanation regarding why robots are not part of the Galactic Empire of the Foundation series. It also does a credible job of planting the seeds of the science of psychohistory made so fam ...more
Ce
The Robots of Dawn (Robot #3)
My least favorite book of the Foundation / Robots series so far. This time, I felt that the same formula that I loved in the first two books bored me, especially due to the length of the book (it has twice as many pages as the first ones):
● Endless dialogues between Elijah Baley and the suspect / witness / robot at that time. Solving crimes by simply talking to people seems to be normal for a detective.
● Showing Bayley's agorophobia several times and comment tha
Kat  Hooper
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature. We review SFF, horror, and comics for adults and kids, in print and audio daily.

The Robots of Dawn is the third book in Isaac Asimov’s trilogy about investigator Elijah Bailey and his robot sidekick R Daneel Olivaw. In the first book, The Caves of Steel, the pair met and solved a murder mystery on Earth. In this far-future Earth, a fearful populace lives in domed cities and never ventures outside. In the second book, The Naked Sun, Elijah faces his fears
Brett
Dec 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
Isaac Asimov is one of the most beloved science fiction authors in the genre, but there is simply no way of getting around the fact that this book is the worst kind of trash. It is deeply boring, full of stilted dialogue, and possesses no sense of wonder or possibility about the future. Asimov's entire Robot series has been underwhelming, but this one is actively insulting to readers.

The Robots of Dawn follows the events of the Caves of Steel and the Naked Sun, which feature the same protagonist
Letricia Brooks
Jun 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Elizabeth R.
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Moves along briskly, yet with more verve, detail, liveliness, etc., than we've seen from Asimov before.

With the best sf style, provides irresistible reflections or gentle criticisms of our own cultures by allowing us to see aspects of ourselves in other contexts.
Charles Zigmund
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Isaac Asimov's later science fiction novels were written at the insistence of his publisher. He had turned from writing science fiction in the 1950s to churning out scores of books of fact -- on science, history, Shakespeare, the Bible and other subjects, for many years. For whatever reason, esthetics or profits, his publisher was not about to see a great science fiction writer permanently retire from the genre that had made him famous, and started demanding more SF. Asimov complied, and began w ...more

• 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy #1)
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
  • Childhood's End
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • Worm Holes (Quantum Roots, #2)
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • The Lost Intelligence (Lost Starship #12)
  • The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
  • Cluster (Cluster, #1)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o

Robot, chronological order (6 books)
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • The Rest of the Robots (Robot, #0.2)
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot #1)
  • The Naked Sun (Robot, #2)
  • Robots and Empire (Robot, #4)