Start by marking “Thinking on My Feet: The small joy of putting one foot in front of another” as Want to Read:
Thinking on My Feet: The small joy of putting one foot in front of another

Thinking on My Feet: The small joy of putting one foot in front of another

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  245 ratings  ·  30 reviews

'A lovely, civilised and transporting read, that should have all of us stepping out to meet the world with fresh eyes.' - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

'An enticing read that makes every walk Humble describes an adventure' - Ranulph Fiennes

'A beautiful and magnificent book. A paean to a simple act. I defy you to read this book and not be inspired to walk, march or hike - and as a result live a better life moreFiennes

'AFearnley-Whittingstall

'An-

Published October 4th 2018 by Aster

To ask other readers questions about Thinking on My Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking on My Feet

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Thinking on My Feet: The small joy of putting one foot in front of another
Paul
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modern life seems to be more and more associated around screens, we spend hours looking at them avoiding exercise and making ourselves unhealthy. But the simple act of going for a walk away from your screen can have lots of benefits, especially if your walk takes in the natural world. Kate Humble is a big fan of walking, so much so that she ranks the importance of having that morning walk alongside her first cup of tea.

Her busy life of filming means that she is not always able to wal
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
From the opening of „white woman amongst the natives“ and look „how I struggle with FMG but the natives are so nice“ right through getting depressed at the privilege of some but never acknowledging her own... (how many of you own a lake in France, form a very short orderly queue over there) I could just not go on. I am sure she is nice, but the book is just so tone deaf in some places and incredibly boring in others.
Kirsty Keddie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
An airport purchase - I like walking and like Kate on TV so thought it could be an undemanding aeroplane read. Found the structure somewhat bitty. It is essentially a diary consisting mostly of quite dull descriptions of dog walks across the neighbours field but interspersed with occasional random interviews.
I left the book liking Kate a little less...at one stage in New York she feels depressed by the highly privileged people on the streets but she herself reveals a highly privileged life
Karen Whittard
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love Kate humble all the things that she stands for and all the amazing things that she does. I have to agree with her that going for a walk outside in nature is one of the best things to do. It clears your mind, helps with mental health and helps to keep you fit and healthy. I love getting in my steps every day and I always feel so much better in every way for it. Kate humbles year long journey is a great book to read for anyone who is a fan.
Jess
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
THINKING ON MY FEET.

A Wainwright Prize read.

'This is one of the many things I love about seeing the world on foot,at this pace,and returning to places I have walked before. Landscapes viewed this way,connected and tangible,become like scrapbooks,full of little details and images,impressions and happenings. They may be inconsequential,but that doesn't matter;it is the pleasure that comes from jogging the memory and being witness to the shifts and changes that can happen ov
Sadie Slater
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I was only vaguely aware of Kate Humble as a TV presenter (I don't think I've ever watched a show she presented), but I have been looking out for books about walking that aren't written by men and had noted her Thinking on My Feet: The small joy of putting one foot in front of the other as a book I might want to try.

Thinking on My Feet is written in diary format, chronicling a year of Humble's walking (and sometimes running). I wasn't entirely enamoured of it to start with; the early sections involve r/>Thinking
Peadar Mac Giolla Mhártain
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very relaxing read full of interesting observation from the author as she walks in the wild outdoors. Recommended!!
Clare
Mar 30, 2019 added it
Loved this as it reaffirmed what I believe about the restoring powers of walking. Reading about the landscapes took me home too.
Kathleen Hirsch
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Had I known that this was a TV celeb/First World (post-colonial) work, with junket tales filled with side glances at murdered Kenyan school teachers and the "exotic" island poor bearing corrugated steel on their heads, setting out kale for purchase, etc., etc., I'd have thought three times before purchasing it. She had a good idea, but her editors (or someone) decided that opening with such scenes as these, white woman among the natives, was enough for me to return the book (thanks, Amazon).
Gee
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really wanted to love this book and I very nearly do. I agree whole heartedly with Kate about the positive benefits from walking, the time and space to think, be aware of your surroundings, seeing things that can only be seen on foot. But I struggled to get into the book, I nearly gave up as I initially couldn’t engage with the author. However, when I got to Kate’s lone walk along the Wye Valley, the descriptions were very good, and I enjoyed it more, particularly as I’m just getting to know t ...more
Michael Frankland
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strange

Commencing the first handful of pages i wanted to put the book down, which I did for a couple weeks. After this time it became more apparent to me that I wanted to read more, again which I did for a few handfuls of pages more. Leaving it alone for for another few weeks i became engrossed and completed it. I suppose I have learnt that even the more aspects of life are worth recording for others, it has helped extend my perspective of life.
One other thing, I agree with Kate as I hav
Bookwormbadger
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many thanks to Netgalley and Octopus Publishing for my advance copy of this book. Kate Humble writes beautifully on the joys of walking, regardless of where you are or your present state of mind. I found this book a very inspiring read; she writes of some fascinating people who turned to walking in times of trouble, and how much it has helped them to overcome their difficulties. I feel lots more lovely walks in nature coming on! A great book.
Catrinamaria
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed Kate's one year walking diary. Much of it centres on her much loved tracks near to home but the international dimension (thanks to her filming trips) brings a fresh dimension to her reflections on the benefits of getting out there, putting one foot in front of the other. Interviews with friends and other walkers from a veteran with PTSD to an ovarian cancer survivor as well as a New York psychoanalyst...all bring enlightening perspectives too.
Paul Trembling
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a book about walking, so as you'd expect, there are a lot of descriptions of walks! Clear and well described walks in the UK and other places, with a lot of fascinating details and background, and carrying the gentle but steady pace of a long distance hiker throughout the book.

However, it's not just about the walking: it's about why we walk, it's about the value of walking that goes beyond the physical exercise (good though that is) and speaks to our connection with the world. ...more
Val Carter
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was walking with Kate all the way! Her style of writing, in describing her myriad of walks, greatly appealed to me. The chats she has with others about the wonderful psychological effects walking has, gave me a lot of food for thought.
I now want to move to the country and have a small holding! For me, this was a powerful book and has spurred me on to get fitter, so I can do more walking of this kind.
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the second half of the book more than the first, which was a bit “samey” - hard to describe daily local walks differently. Second half was much better, although I found myself being envious of Kate’s lifestyle and wished I had a job which allowed so much freedom to get out and walk on a daily basis.
Tina
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration, travel
Inspired me to want to start walking long distances someday, though I have been sick for quite sometime so it will take me a while to get started properly. I really loved this, it was inspiring to see that a friend she had made along the way was also sick but carried on walking very long distances to raise money for research into her sickness and helping others with it.
Neil Gregory
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book enabling us to glance into a complex life of Kate Humble throughout a year. There are times of international travel and personal insight all loosely connected by the love of walking. Walking gives Kate solace and inspiration as well as thinking and enjoyment time. We can all learn something from this book. Enjoy
Jojo
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So my type of book - simple but magical about something so straight-forward as walking. I love walking and the joy it brings me, but I could never describe the feeling so well. I deliberately spaced out my reading to keep it going for as long as I could. Thank you Kate.
Em Faulkner
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and deeply moving

I've always been a fan of Kate, from her shoestring travel documentary days - I love how observant she is, how in tune with and sensitive to her surroundings she is.
Catherine
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
A beautiful and uplifting book. Gorgeous descriptions of the countryside. I felt I was with her and her dogs on her walks.
Emma Chappell
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A relaxing read
Anna Johnson
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and inspiring book
Jane Newey
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Very relaxing and inspired me to walk more even on my own
Victoria
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you for the ARC copy.
This is a wonderful read of Kate’s walks throughout the year and has really inspired me to get-up-and-go. Highly recommended
Teresa
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not just a wonderful piece of writing about walking but also journeying and everything that brings to a soul.
Jackie
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Think or don’t think but walk

Nice feel good book for anyone who has experienced the joy of walking or needs time to think get outside
Teresa adams
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Inspiring.
Chris Shepheard
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with some very thought provoking information. Walking got me through a very difficult period of my life so I fully appreciate what Kate has to say.
Doug Stewart
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a walker, I enjoyed this book, a lot.

There was a resonance with Kate and her philosophy of walking.

The Book does jump around a lot, but is full of charm, wisdom and joy.

• Wilding