Start by marking “Last Call: A twisty, fun PI Mystery (The Janet Black Mystery Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Last Call: A twisty, fun PI Mystery (The Janet Black Mystery Series Book 1)

Last Call: A twisty, fun PI Mystery (The Janet Black Mystery Series Book 1)

For fans of Janet Evanovich! Last Call is what you'd get if Stephanie Plum owned a bar and loved to swear.

A Dumpster, a body, and a killer on the run.

Unfazed after finding a body behind the Dumpster of her bar, Janet Black is ready for business as usual until police start eyeing her boyfriend as the possible killer. When the victim's teetotaling daughter decides to take u
Published September 9th 2018 by Sunnyside Press

To ask other readers questions about Last Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Call

Susan
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite characters from the Stella Reynolds Mysteries has her own series! Janet & Jason have moved to Knoxville and opened a bar. Lots of mystery and the right amount of romance makes this a perfect read. Can’t wait for more!
Bev
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Janet is a bar owner who takes no prisoners. She will stand toe to toe to the best of them, but she doesn't go looking for trouble...it finds her. This time, it finds her boyfriend, who the police think killed the person in the dumpster out back of her bar. Really? How convenient for her boyfriend that a dumpster is big enough for a dead body back of her bar?! Then the victim's teetotaling daughter has 'moved into the bar until the killer is found'. Janet has better things to do, but she feels s ...more
Cath
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Janet Black, the main character of the title, has changed direction in life and bought a bar, called the Spot. She covers some of the shifts and does the paperwork and has a bouncer, Frank, a recent hire, who she dislikes. He was hired due to his size and experience as an ex-cop, but she still doesn’t trust him and is waiting to get rid of him before his trial period ends, but not without someone to take his place.

Janet and her partner Jason, also have income coming from the property attached to
Marsha
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
After finding the dead body of a drunk customer behind her bar, Janet just wanted to let the police do their job and get on with her life. But when the detectives started suspecting her boyfriend, and wouldn't look past him, she knew she had to take matters into her own hands. This has a cozyish vibe, except for the fact that the Protagonist has a penchant for cursing. Any sexual content is alluded to. I liked the fact that while this has the cozy vibe, and it features an amateur 'sleuth', said ...more
Marsha
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Presler
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janet Black and her boyfriend, Jason, bought The Spot, a bar in Knoxville, a little over a year ago. Recently, Janet has noticed that some money has been missing. Her bouncer, Frank, is a former police officer and seems to prefer calling the police rather than trying to calm the situation. This is a problem for Janet who is getting fed up with his attitude.

Ike Freeman is one of the bar's regulars and he frequently gets very drunk and ends up having a cab called to take him home. After one such e
Lauren
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the ARC for this book in exchange for an honest review. This is the first book I have read by this author but will not be the last. Last Call starts with a bang and continues with a great mystery that the main character, Janet tries to solve. The body of a regular at her bar is found outside and Janet is drawn into the investigation and she feels compelled to try to solve it.

As the police start to investigate the crime and many subplots are revealed. We begin to wonder about all of th
Sharon Grow
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Janet Black, co-owner of the Spot Bar, is worried about the money that is missing from the nightly till. Which of her employees could be stealing from her? She has her partner and lover, Jason, wire the bar with security cameras to catch the thief. Janet thought this was the worst of her troubles until she finds a body behind the bar near the dumpster. The police are all over the scene especially after the security camera near where the body was found was covered with tape and the system was dow ...more
Sue
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Janet Black is just trying to run her bar and won’t let a body found behind a dumpster faze her one bit. However, when the police begin to suspect her boyfriend and the victim’s daughter has taken up residence at the bar, Janet finds herself involved in solving the murder. If that wasn’t enough, she must also determine if the absence of an unreliable employee has something to do with the murder or not.

Janet is a no-nonsense sharp-witted character with a take charge and takes no prisoners attitud
Loretta
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janet Black co owner of the Stop Bar goes to put trash in the dumpster when she finds the body of Ike Freeman who they said was drunk and was asked to leave the bar after they called a taxi to take him home. Someone messed up the security camera near the dumpster so the police was investigating the alibi's of everyone connected with the bar. Janet got involved in questioning people that knew Ike only to find out he had killed someone riding on a bike and got away with no punishment. Things happe ...more
Samantha March
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Libby Kirsch since the first book I read, and I was so excited to see a new series from her. And I could tell right off the bat this is going to be a good one. There is plenty of action, a whole crew of suspects – including Janet’s own boyfriend – and just as with the Stella Reynolds mystery series, the writing is perfect for making me feel I was right there in the action. I’m pumped to see there is already a book two in the series (Last Minute) and I will be grabbing that o ...more
Icy Sedgwick
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah this book was so much fun! Janet Black starts out investigating a fairly mundane mystery - who is stealing from the till at her bar? When a dead body turns up in the alley, she has to ask even more questions and start digging to find out the truth to protect her staff and her boyfriend. The story kept me guessing - every time I thought I'd figured it out, another twist took me off on a tangent! Janet's a rounded character, full of flaws, and I can't wait to read the next one.
Anne G. Kasaba
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Janet finds a dead body by the dumpster behind her bar she figures it can’t get any worse. She was wrong. The police bring a warrant to search her home and take any possible evidence with them. They remove her boyfriend’s computers which is a major problem since he provides security to his clients. Since the police are hyper focused on Jason and think he’s the killer, it’s up to Janet to solve this case.
Kathleen Glandorf
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
The settings were too contrived and unlikely. When do police invite a bartender to join them in an interrogation? The writing was good, the plot and story line, not so much. I won't be bothering with another from this author.
Cindy Bates
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed

Read this on a recommendation from another author. Not bad overall but I had a hard time following the characters. I flipped through some chapters. Will read the other 2 in the series and see if my opinion changes.
Margery Baker
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful mystery
As a new reader to the Janet Black books, I was thrilled! I’m going to be reading the first part of the series and any new books that come along. After Janet finds a body in the alley next to the dumpster, her life goes absolutely topsy-turvy, up is down, and down is up. She pictures her characters so vividly that I could almost see them. The story is so well written that you imagine you’re right there.
I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Emme
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great new series by Libby Kirsch. The book was full of twists, definitely a fun read. If you liked Janet in the Stella Reynolds series you will definitely enjoy this series.

Received an advanced copy: however, all opinions arhve my own.
Torrie Tovar
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book and probably expected too much from it since I'm obsessed with the other series. I didn't find it as good but since I majored in Mass Comm the other series is really relatable. But I will definitely will read the rest.
Marilyn
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

This book is one that has murder and missing money.the young women who owns a bar with her boyfriend.mysteries and cops.
Sandy Lipinski
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This well written story revolves around a bar called The Spot. It reminds me of the TV series Cheers. Except a murder takes place.
T Olsen
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good mystery, with a very good plot and a story with a lot of flesh, but no dead meat. Very easy to read, hard to put down. I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy.
Sara
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

I completely agree! Having learned about Janet through the Stella Reynolds Mystery Series, I couldn’t wait to read Last Call: A Janet Black Mystery. She truly is a stand-out character, and I couldn’t imagine not reading about her own adventures, considering the natural talent and ability she has for being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. And, the natural ability she has for solving crimes.

Much like in the Stella series, the
kieran beegan