Start by marking “Book Learnin': A Pie Comics Collection” as Want to Read:
Book Learnin': A Pie Comics Collection

Book Learnin': A Pie Comics Collection

Pie Comics began as a college comic strip way back in the mid ’00s, when flip phones roamed the earth. But after a shoulder injury forced cartoonist John McNamee to simplify his drawing style and improvise comics, Pie Comics evolved into the beloved strip it is today! This new collection from The Onion and the New Yorker contributor features his most incisive and hilarious ...more
Published March 19th 2019 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Book Learnin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book Learnin'

Start your review of Book Learnin': A Pie Comics Collection
MischaS_
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was not aware of Pie Comics before reading this comic. Therefore, I was expecting a lot of original work. However, it all seems a bit overplayed or redundant.

My favourite was the very first strip, and then it went a bit downhill. I liked one here and there, but nothing really stuck out or seemed that great.

I'm sorry to say that I believe that there are much better comic-strip books out there. This n
Dave Schaafsma
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
A small book collection of funny comics, most of them four panel, just for laughs. I like the cute art style. The book is loosely organized into topics, such as The Arts or Business or Science and Technology. But I haven't read his previous collection of Pie Comics, which I am told he began to do in college, and which most people seem to like better. Most of this current book is collected from The Onion and The New Yorker. It's worth a few smiles. 2.5-3 stars

Here's a review, where you can see o
Chad
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
I absolutely loved the previous Pie Comics collection, but here the jokes often fell flat. The jokes were often a bit twisted which I typically like, but I was just "meh" about the whole thing, unfortunately.
The book certainly wasn't saved by the art either, as it's stick figure level.

Received a review copy from Lion Forge and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Emma
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first time reading Pie Comics and I have to admit that I did not find them very funny. Only a handful of them made me actually laugh, the others were nothing special. Maybe it's just me and this is not my kind of thing. I'm sure a fan of Pie Comics would appreciate this collection.
Marjolein
2.5 Stars

Like most comics collections I read, I was not really familiar with Pie Comics yet. The title and the cover however suggested that it had to do with books, so I just had to read it.

It was not what I expected. I'm not sure what I did expect, but it was more than I got. Sure, some of the comics were quite funny, but many were mwah and they were not about books unfortunately. While it wasn't for me, I'm sure fans of the comic will appreciate it.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for p
Etienne
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5/5. Short and simple one page cartoon like w see more and more often pop up everywhere on the Internet. Funny enough to deserve its place and has some good social criticism here and there. Light but worth it!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3 STARS
2019; Lion Forge/Diamond Books
(Review Not on Blog)

This comic strip was hard to rate as this book wasn't what I expected. I thought this book was about books and reading, like a recent comic book I had just read. Instead, this book was about learning. I thought the drawings were okay, and the humour either works for you or it doesn't. For me, it was okay not "laugh out loud". This strip has featured in the Onion so it's good company.

***I received an eARC from EDELWEISS***
Amina Ibrahim
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I haven't read pie comics before but these were pleasant. The comics are divided in subjects arts, science, humanities and so on. These comics were good, some more and others slightly less, but all filled with humor. The drawings were well-drawn and simple with good content, though some was repeated more than once.This book is best for pre-teen comic lovers.
I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy from edelweiss.

Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
As I have said many times, humor is subjective and internet humor, even more so. And a collection of a favorite artist is one to pick up, no matter what I or others say about it.

The humor in this book is sometimes laugh out loud, and sometimes scratch my head, but mostly it is, oh, that is funny, but not enough to laugh at.

Here are some that i found amusing:

book learning

If this is the kind of humor you enjoy, or you are already familiar with John McNamee, then by all means, pick up this book.

Thanks to Netgal
Richard
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The premises of this book of cartoons is that we learn in many different ways. A series of images with pithy and humorous words and clever drawings can convey truths we otherwise might not assimilate.
For me the book is a gem. A familiar resource to dip into and not take life too seriously.
Pimpin’ Ain’t Easy - Frame 1 - interesting notion.
Surgery Ain’t Easy - Frame 2 - getting the picture.
Attaining Enlightenment Ain’t Easy - Frame 3 - looks hard.
Guess I’ll Stick with Pimpin’ - Frame 4.
Loved this
Steff Fox
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, 2019, apathetic
| Reader Fox Blog |

I wish that I'd liked Book Learnin' by John McNamee a lot more. Part of me feels like I had high expectations for this book while another part of me feels as though it simply didn't live up to a standard. You see this book and you expect it to be a clever collection of amusing comics regarding education and it just...wasn't. While some pieces were clever and some were relatable, the vast majority were not and I did not find myself laughing at a single one of the comics th
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
I'd really love to say I liked this book, but the truth is that it didn't leave a huge impression. It was a very quick read (even while being terribly tired) and there were many comics that had a deeper meaning (e.g. about society issues), and the arrangement of the comics worked fine. The style of the drawings matched the style of the text/humor. These are on the plus side. What lacked in this book was the humor side (for me, at least). I'm all for sarcasm (really, that's a language I'm fluent ...more
Ms. Arca
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were a couple frames that made me smile or I found clever. Other than those ones though, this one seemed a bit disheveled and an attempt to get them cohesively together. Some of the frames also just didn’t read that clearly or the punch was lacking for me. Maybe someone else’s cup of tea!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Robert Cojocaru
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks for the review copy from Netgalley!
A great collection of funny 4 panel daily kind of comics. The instant I started this book it reminded me of the minimalism and smart humor that I thought only xkcd could achieve.
It covers subjects ranging from art to science and everything in between.There are some pages that tackle the origin of things and or ideas.
One of the smartest in-joke I found in a book is the diploma you are awarded at the end of the book:
'This diploma hereby declares that the h
Molly
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great collection from Pie Comics, with comics addressing issues ranging from the perpetual, terrible darkness of winter to the intellectual culpability of certain duck hunters. Amusing and occasionally poignant.
Linda
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I came across Pie Comics for the first time with this book. What took my attention about the book is the title though the comics are not about "reading" or "passion for books". The comics are categorised with subjects.

It was an okay read. I can't say I laughed a lot. Some comics were really smart. ( I quite like the last page. I sensed one good quality sarcasm.) On the other hand, some just made me stare awkwardly to the screen. Good for spending some time and exploring new illustrators.
Carrie Templeton
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free advanced copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion.

This set of comics had me laughing out loud for the most part. Covering all of the basics of book learnin’ I may never need to open another text book again! The section on “the arts” was a bit more obscure than I anticipated from John McNamee, but everything else had me rolling. My husband was peaking over my shoulder while I read most of this because he can’t resist McNamee’s webcomics.
Ankita Singh
When I requested this book from Netgalley, I did it assuming it would be a book full of bookish comics.

Instead, I found sets of comics on things that had nothing to do with books. Most of the comics did not make me laugh. A few may have made me crack a smile, but most of them were not funny at all.

The art itself didn't appeal to me much either. It was pretty simple.

I was not familiar with pie comics, and I didn't enjoy this one much either.
Suzze Tiernan
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed the topics addressed in the comics, only a very few made me laugh.
Deanna
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Super cute, relatable short little comic-strip book. I wasn't familiar with the work before today but I did enjoy it. Short and sweet and humorous, I'd recommend to anyone who's a fan of the genre. ...more
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

So after the success of John McNamee’s other book: Goldilocks and the Infinite Bears: A Pie Comics Collection, I was highly excited to try out this collection.

However… it was a disappointment. Whereas last time I had so many comics I loved, that made me laugh or snicker, this one was more miss than hit. Especially the first half of the book was just mostly boring and not that funny. The latter half though brought more and more c
Rebekah
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs, 2019
This collection was just okay. I was pretty disappointed. Very few of these comics were even slightly funny. Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Kailey (Luminous Libro)
I think I would have enjoyed this collection of comics about how weird the world is, if only there hadn't been so much profanity and excessive use of the word "pimp." Some of the punchlines are crass, and I prefer clean humor. Some of the comics are wholesome and good, but a significant amount are not.

I liked the simple art style, and the clarity of each panel.

I'm not sure why this collection is entitled "Book Learnin'". I thought it was comics about books, with reading as the main subject mat
Emma
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun collection of comic strips which I read through very quickly. The format would probably work better online, but a book would still be a nice gift for a fan of Pie Comics.

[Free ARC from Edelweiss+]
Kendall Morgan Hall
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book of cartoon strips will make you both laugh and think. I know that sounds like a cliché. It is a cliché. But it is also very true in this case.

The drawings are very simple. I read that after shoulder surgery, John McNamee had to simplify his drawing style, so that explains it. Simple can sometimes be better than overcomplicated graphic novels or comics.

Each page is its own cartoon strip so you can read this book very quickly, if you like, or you can read one or two a day and savour it.
Wayne McCoy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Book Learnin': A Pie Comics Collection' by John McNamee is a collection of strips from a series I've seen online.

The cartoons are broken up in to sections like The Arts, Zoology, and Science and Technology. The gags are about all kinds of varied subjects. The drawing style is kind of basic because of an injury the artist suffered, but it's a decent enough style for this kind of comic. As a reward, the book concludes with a humorous certificate of completion.

I found the jokes moderately funny. S
Theediscerning
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book of (mostly) one-page cartoons that at least has the gumption to not stick to a dated formula, recycling the same characters and/or ideas all the time. There are no returning animals to tell us how daft life is, but enough evidence to that end on these pages without them. A particular favourite was the extended two-page one conveying the growth of outrage – a spread where humour met with honesty, and no mistake. A lot here – especially the online ads – rings a bell. A strong four stars.
Paul Franco
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I’d read one of these comic collections, and gave it my highest rating, so of course I took a chance on this one.
The first section is on art, very little of it memorable. The best joke was on hat fashion.
“Giraffe pimp” snuck up on me.
A whale singing about big butts is just wrong.
Don’t tell anybody I laughed at the car/plane joke.
Do make copies of the certificate at the end.
Unfortunately this volume wasn’t anywhere near as good as the first. Even on its own it didn’t bring that many chuckles.
Kristine
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Book Learnin' by John McNamee is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in early February.

4-6 cell minimalist comics with rotund stick people that have a sarcastic, snarky sense of humor. They're arranged mostly by theme/overriding topic (i.e. wisdom from the mouths of babes, putting down someone out of cheeky jealousy, responding to the randomness that life offers you, self-insufficiency, and oppositional defiance).
Cheryl
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I get a kick out of these, so when I came across this book yesterday in an independent bookstore in Baltimore, I had to buy it. (Incidentally, people who hold baby showers in bookstores are evil! Never spent so much money during a baby shower before!)

The book was fun. Some of these were installments I had read and enjoyed before, but most were new. A nice light antidote to studying for midterms.

• Safely Endangered Comics
  • Book Love
  • Theme Music
  • It's Me. (Catwad, #1)
  • Treasure
  • Lockdown Cartoons: The Cartoon Book for Surviving Quarantine, Boredom and Isolation
  • Lockdown Cartoons 3