Start by marking “A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder” as Want to Read:
A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder

A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder

(Countess of Harleigh Mystery #1)

In this exciting historical mystery debut set in Victorian England, a wealthy young widow encounters the pleasures--and scandalous pitfalls--of a London social season . . .

Frances Wynn, the American-born Countess of Harleigh, enjoys more freedom as a widow than she did as a wife. With her young daughter in tow, Frances rents a home in Belgravia and prepares to welcome he/>
Published May 28th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published June 26th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder, please sign up.
Dianne Freeman Hi Kristen. Thanks for asking! There are more books planned. A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder will be out in June of 2019, followed by a third book…moreHi Kristen. Thanks for asking! There are more books planned. A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder will be out in June of 2019, followed by a third book in June of 2020! (less)
Dianne Freeman Hi Vazyla. Sorry I took so long to see your question. The book is written for an adult audience, however my 12-year old niece read and enjoyed it. It…moreHi Vazyla. Sorry I took so long to see your question. The book is written for an adult audience, however my 12-year old niece read and enjoyed it. It is a mystery but the murders take place off the page. There is a very sloooow burning romance as well. (less)

Carrie
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A Lady’s Guide to Etiquette and Murder by Dianne Freeman is the first book in the A Countess of Harleigh Mystery series. This series is a bit of a different take on the average cozy mystery in that it has a historical setting mixing both genres wonderfully.

Frances Wynn is an American that was born to a wealthy family that found herself in an arranged marriage to her husband, Reggie, that brought Frances the title of the Countess of Harleigh and her husband access to her family funds.
Yun
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I'm in the mood for something light and fun, and A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder fits the bill perfectly. It combines Victorian decorum with the intrigue of a murder mystery and adds in a dash of romance. What results is something altogether charming and enjoyable.

One of my favorite things about this story is that Frances, Countess of Harleigh, is strong, independent, and audacious at a time when women are expected to be meek and dependent on a man. She has just become wid
Umut Reviews
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can describe this book very shortly, it's like Downton Abbey in a book :) I'm a fan of Downton Abbey and it certainly reminded me of the setting, characters and life style I was watching there. Even some details were the same, so I'm wondering if the writer took 'inspiration' from there.
It was a really cute, cozy mystery set in London. Our protagonist is the Countess of Harleigh. She's an American, who married into British aristocracy bringing her father's money into the family. Suddenly one
Kester Grant
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hist-mystery
The first in a start to a fantastic mystery series, starring the delightfully acid witted Frances - exactly the type of heroine I adore. By turns hilarious and swoon-worthy and constantly keeping you guessing, I can't wait to read the sequel!
Mary Keliikoa
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book on so many levels. I have not been a huge historical mystery reader, but this book has changed my view. I fell in love with the Victorian time period, and with Frances--who is a woman with a mind of her own. Her personality and wit shines throughout. There were moments I was laughing out loud and others where the writer had me concerned about the welfare of the characters I had come to love. The mystery was so well-plotted, I didn't know until the final reveal who was guilty, a ...more
Suanne
Dianne Freeman’s debut novel, A Lady’s Guide to Etiquette and Murder, is a witty romp of a Victorial mystery. The heroine, Frances, is a recently widowed and coming out of mourning for her dead rake-of-husband. She is surprisingly perspicacious and her struggles with propriety and her journey to independence is delightful. There is an understated chemistry between her and the hero, that is smoldering before bursting into flame. The mystery is well-plotted and full of twists. Freeman does an exce ...more
JoAn
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder by Dianne Freeman was an excellent start to what I hope will be a long running historical cozy mystery series.

Ms. Freeman introduces us to the recently widowed Countess of Harleigh, Frances Wynn. She is a surprisingly strong young woman for Victorian times who has come into her own now that she is a widow and intends to enjoy her life with her daughter. The descriptive writing of London and the characters made me feel like I was there with Franc
Jennifer Klepper
I've missed Downton Abbey so very much. Thankfully, the witty and fast-paced "A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder" has helped fill the aching void. When American heiress Frances Wynn becomes a widow in 1899 after the death of her philandering Earl of a husband, she decides to risk British society gossip by living independent of her dead husband's money-grubbing family. Deception, romance, and scandal ensue, keeping this reader enthralled until the very end. This smart, tightly-written mystery ...more
Melissa17
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the mysterious historical romp of your dreams! Frances is just starting to come into her own as an independent woman, so her push/pull of propriety v. independence is a joy to behold. The mystery is well plotted and paced and the descriptions of Victorian fashion in this novel are to die for. (Pun intended.) This is the start of an incredible series!
Lana Pattinson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a pre-published copy.

If you like the Victorian era, laughing, and headstrong heroines, this book is for you.

It’s a tightly plotted romp of a mystery that will keep you guessing to the end!

Can’t wait for a second book from Dianne Freeman.
Nicki K.
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

After enduring a year-long mourning period with her gold-digging in-laws, Frances Wynn is eager to make her way to London with her seven-year-old daughter and settle down. Within a week she faces an accusatory inspector, the unexpected arrival of her sister's first Season, and the news of a series of home break-ins. To top it off, she finds out her new neighbor is the handsome George Hazelton, so
Bethany Swafford
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Frances, Countess of Harleigh, moves her small household to London to escape the demands of her in-laws. Almost immediately, her life gets turned upside down when police approach her with questions about how her husband died, her younger sister arrives to be launched into society, her bank account is frozen from her brother-in-law attempting to claim her money, and a string of jewelry thefts happening all over society.

I absolutely adored Frances. Her practical attitude in spite of wh
Cheryl
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew this story would be the perfect fun read as soon as I saw the books cover. What an eye catcher :) From the minute I started this book, Dianne Freemans storyline left me wanting the book to never end!
I loved Francis...she is the perfect heroine; funny, witty, independent. Her adventures when she reaches London (and in the time of her cheating husbands death) are written with wit and made me laugh more than once.
The characters are well developed, and the story has everything you coul
Sheri
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderfully fun read! I love historical mysteries and this one was just great. The protagonist, a recently widowed member of the aristocracy (an American, at that!), who lives in the very late 19th century, in England, finds herself embroiled in not one, but several mysteries. The author does an excellent job of character and plot development. I had no problem getting into the story. I love that you don't necessarily know the culprits. You're discovering things right along with Frances. T ...more
Yasmyn
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I started "A Lady's Guide," I knew it was right up my alley. If you're a fan of Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series or Anna Lee Huber's Lady Darby mysteries, you will love this as much as I did. Personally, I'm always looking for more series in this vein, and many of the others I've read tend to fall short. But Dianne Freeman brings Victorian London to life with her delightful prose. I also loved that her clever heroine happens to be an American who married into the aristocracy, which ...more
Caroline
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
This book was amazing. A rule-following, yet feisty heroine who discovers her own strength and sense of purpose as shocking events unfold all around her. Plus an excessively charming next door neighbor leaves plenty of opportunity in the future. I was thoroughly engaged in this one, and sincerely hope there is indeed a 2nd Lady Harleigh mystery!

I received a copy of this book from Kensington through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Minerva Spencer
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical mysteries and especially when they are humorous and well-written! Freeman does a great job of making you feel like you've stepped back in time and the turn of the century was a fascinating era where life was changing incredibly fast.

Francis is an American heiress who married a deadbeat (emphasis on the dead part) English earl. But she's a widow who is ready to embrace life (and what is left of her money).

I think it takes deft writing to craft an historic
Emily
A fantastic Victorian cozy mystery with a fun cast of characters. I can't wait to read more books in this series!
Gabrielle David
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are times I wish I lived in a kinder, gentler, time – say Queen Victoria’s England. So I transport myself with a cozy historical mystery and am quickly reminded that, even for the upper classes, things weren’t always kind or gentle.

Such is the case in A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder by Dianne Freeman, a first novel I hope will become a series.

Frances Wynn, the American-born Countess of Harleigh, widowed young, is living with her brother-in-law and his wife, r
Heike
Frances, a widowed American heiress, finds herself in a tumble of robbery, deceiving, and murder after she leaves the household of her late husband to start a life of her own. With the help of her new neighbor and not really welcomed old acquaintance George she gets caught up in investigating the suspects, who are also the suitors of her younger sister.

This novel was refreshingly entertaining, with a female protagonist who was funny in a tongue-in-cheek way without being the inept or
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, chaste, mystery
This is a bit of a weak mystery coupled with a weak romance that has some strong characters and a vivid setting and interesting background. So it mostly worked for me as long as I was content to just read along (as opposed to figuring out the mystery or engaging in the romance).

I liked Frances right from the start when she makes her bid for independence. I liked that she just kept rolling with all the setbacks and doing her best taking them in stride one at a time. And I liked the fr
Ova - Excuse My Reading
What a fabulous find this book was for me! I loved and enjoyed it. If it wasn't a friend's recommendation I wouldn't have requested to read it on Netgalley.
I really enjoyed the idea of independent women in an age of female dependency on male relatives. Our heroine Frances is not short of bravery or wit!
If the book was a tad shorter I'd happily mark it 5 stars but there were stretches that was a bit *yawn* . Still a great book, nice and interesting characters, solid and satisfying plo
Caroline
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

H D Elliott
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast-paced, super fun historical mystery. I loved the twist of having the heroine be an American who married into the British peerage; it made the book feel fresh. I got to read this book pre-publication, and I can't wait for there to be more in the series!
QNPoohBear
Frances Wynn, Lady Harleigh, is happy to shed mourning for her wastrel husband. After all, he died in another woman's bed so why should she mourn him? Frances is also excited to be making her own plans to escape her greedy brother-in-law and his wife who want to get their hands on her money. Fortunately, as an American, her father doesn't have the same notions of family the English do and settled his money on Frances alone. She decides to take her young daughter and move to fashionable Belgravia ...more
Barb in Maryland
Start of a new series set in late 1890s Victorian England. 3.5 stars

Do your best to ignore that silly cartoon illustration on the book jacket. It does a disservice to the very sensible and competent mystery between the covers. I liked our heroine Frances, the widowed Countess of Harleigh.

The mysteries (see the blurb) were clever, with believable solutions. Frances is no super sleuth, but once she starts using her brain to work on actually solving the puzzles she really comes to life
Veronica
Cute, if a bit silly at times. And the mystery was fairly obvious.
Katie
Well, this was fun! I really liked the portrayal of Victorian society. There's a nice little slow building romance. The ending was a little over the top, but that's okay. Will read more..
Adrienne
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-fiction
A delightful romp of humorous romantic fiction: with a murder thrown in and a young ladies reputation to be preserved.
Rima Aiello
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful trip into the past with a touch of mystery! I normally do not like historical mysteries, but this novel was so well written I couldn't put it down. The characters were great, just enough lightheartedness, and a solid mystery! A great start to a new series.
Play Book Tag: A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder by Dianne Freeman. - 3.5 stars 1 11 Sep 02, 2019 11:21PM
PitchWarriors!: Giveaway 1 19 Apr 29, 2018 11:06AM

• Death Comes to the School (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #5)
  • A Useful Woman (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries #1)
  • Scandal Above Stairs (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #2)
  • Death Among Rubies (Lady Frances Ffolkes #2)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Murder in an English Village (Beryl and Edwina Mystery #1)
  • Whispers Beyond the Veil (A Change of Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • A Most Extraordinary Pursuit (Emmaline Truelove, #1)
  • A Proposal to Die For (Lady Alkmene #1)
  • The Secrets of Wishtide (A Laetitia Rodd Mystery #1)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #2)
  • What the Dead Leave Behind (A Gilded Age Mystery #1)
  • Enter Second Murderer (Inspector Faro, #1)
  • A Pressing Engagement (Lady Darby Mystery, #4.5)
Dianne Freeman is a life-long book lover who left the world of corporate finance to pursue her passion for writing. After co-authoring the non-fiction book, Haunted Highway, The Spirits of Route 66, she realized her true love was fiction, historical mystery in particular. She also realized she didn’t like winter very much so now she and her husband pursue the endless summer by splitting their time ...more

Countess of Harleigh Mystery (3 books)
  • A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2)
  • A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #3)