Start by marking “Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)” as Want to Read:
Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)

Five on a Treasure Island (The Famous Five #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  18,721 Ratings  ·  704 Reviews
The very first Famous Five adventure, featuring Julian, Dick, Anne, not forgetting tomboy George and her beloved dog, Timmy! There's a shipwreck off Kirrin Island! But where is the treasure? The Famous Five are on the trail - looking for clues - but they're not alone! Someone else has got the same idea. Time is running out for the Famous Five, who will follow the clues and ...more
Published 1997 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Five on a Treasure Island, please sign up.

Dorise Very easily. It is the beginning of the series, so afterwards you can decide whether you want to read the other sequels. I'd recommend to just start…moreVery easily. It is the beginning of the series, so afterwards you can decide whether you want to read the other sequels. I'd recommend to just start reading Five on theTreasure Island and see how it goes. So far, it is my first Famous Five book and I like it yet, have fun :)(less)
POOJA SRINIVAS THAT'S RIGHT EVEN I'M NOT ABLE TO READ ANY BOOKS HERE
IS GOODREADS ONLY TO SEE THE BOOKS OR TO READ THEM
ITS JUST A WASTE OF MY TIME IF ITS ONLY TO SEE…more
THAT'S RIGHT EVEN I'M NOT ABLE TO READ ANY BOOKS HERE
IS GOODREADS ONLY TO SEE THE BOOKS OR TO READ THEM
ITS JUST A WASTE OF MY TIME IF ITS ONLY TO SEE THE BOOKS(less)

Grace Tjan
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jess-shelf, 2010, ebook
Jess, my 7-year old girl, gives it 5 stars.

Comments while reading:

"Georgina is a girl but she wants to be called 'George'. Is she a tomboy?"

"Who says that boys never cry? The boys in my class cry. A lot!"

"Uncle Quentin is scary!"

"George is like a volcano --- she's always angry or is about to get angry."

"How can a kid own an island?"

"Awww, Tim is so cute!"

"Why can't Anne keep a secret? She's such a baby!"

"I like it when George took an axe and wrecked the bad guys' motorboat. She's so fierce!"

"I w
Archit Ojha
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own

I remember putting this book back down in 2006 because it was "too big" to read. The number of pages of Secret Seven were tiny in comparison to this one.

I was reading a book this summer and not liking the immoral personalities present in there.

Guess, you sometimes need a break from these grown-up melodramas. And who better to go to than Enid?

The treasure hunting and ship wreck brought me back the memories of why I loved the Secret Seven. George and Tim are a delight to watch together. Coming tog
Jennifer Simmonds
Sadly I gave all my Famous Five books away during my teenage years. However the other day I realised I missed Julian, George, Dick, Anne and Timmy so wanted a catch up. The only edition I could get on Kindle was this one - and it was a slight disappointment. There are no 'lashings' of anything, no 'mummy and daddy', no 'golly's. It has been rewritten to suit a modern children's audience, and I must say I deeply disagree with this choice. When I was an eight year old and reading these books for t ...more
Praj
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one that lured me into the reading world. I still remember it like yesterday; it was during my 4th grade summer vacations. I was down with high fever and was crying for days for missing out on my yearly trip.So to pacify my tantrums , i was gifted this book. Ah! the mysterious world of Julian, Anne, Dick and my favorite George made me forget my pain and i ended up reading the whole series volume in that summer. Thanks Enid! for bringing me to a world of limitless imagination.
Pooja
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owns-these-books
Sometimes you read a book and wonder how didn't you get to read this one in your childhood while everyone about your age did.

Five on a Treasure Island, you are certainly the first one I read after a considerably long time, but your next parts sure are not going to be.

Here I come.
Pramod Nair
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the opportunity to read the whole Famous Five series during my school vacations when i was an eleven year old and 'Five on a Treasure Island' was the first book that introduced me to the magical writings of Enid Blyton. It was during those school vacations that i chanced upon such highly addictive children's series like Secret Seven (from the same author), Nancy Drew, Dana Girls Mysteries, Hardy Boys etc. Hunting down and gobbling up each of those titles was a pure delight.

All the titles i
Graham
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Back when I was a kid, Enid Blyton was MY author. Reading her books - and I read dozens of them - taught me, not to read, but to actually ENJOY reading. I remember feeling how it was a magical experience and twenty years later I still feel that when sitting down with a book today.

I've been wanting to catch up with Blyton as an adult, to see how her work stands up, and I finally got my chance with this handsome hardback. I remember that the Famous Five and the Secret Seven weren't my favourite of
Judith
I read the whole series (all 21 books) when I was about 13; those were the first books I read in English. I loved them, both the stories, the mystery and the writing. I liked the relationships (that was the time when I dearly wished I had siblings), the companionship and the good old picnicks in the woods/fields :)
Looking back, I don't quite agree with the view of girls/women presented. Still, at that time, while feeling most kinship with Anne and being drawn to Georgina, it didn't matter to me.
Γιώργος Δάμτσιος
Ένα μικρό, μονοήμερο διάλειμμα από την ''κανονική'' αναγνωστική μου ροή, με ένα βιβλίο από την παρέα που μικρός είχα λατρέψει. Το διάβασα χαμογελώντας.
Rosie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this and I knew I would as it's a childhood re-read.

I had forgotten a lot of the details and this book still had me at the edge of my seat at the age of 21. I just love it.

I recommend you read it, even if you think you've outgrown it!

A classic, fun, tense, warming, summery read.

I feel at home reading it.
Aso
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, children
(note: please forgive any grammar mistakes in this review, english is not my first language, i wrote this as a part of my writing practice to learn english)

I awfully jealous toward people who got an opportunity to read this series when they were still a little kid. I found and download this little treasure weeks ago for free from a website that i forgot its name, but my long to-read list prevent me to read this book.

Reading this book make me want to run to the nearest super market and buy a time
Kathryn
There was a time when Enid Blyton books were the only books I’d read. I’m glad I grew out of this, although the woman’s written over 600 books, so I’d have been right for a few more years, even if I hadn’t grown out of my obsession!

I know I was reading the Famous Five books when I was in grade 1, and I know that my mum had quite a collection, however the only 2 I can remember now are Five on a Hike Together and Five Go Down to the Sea - perhaps these were favourites that I re-read over and over
Adriana
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY FIRST BOOK.
Não me lembro de ser nada de especial, mas foi com este livro que a minha aventura literária começou. Os cinco foram os primeiros que me deixaram entrar num mundo distante. Não eram aquelas histórias de princesas que me faziam ver. Não eram já as infantilidades de livros para crianças. Tinha oito anos, quando adoeci e a minha mãe começou a ler-me esta aventura, em voz alta. A minha curiosidade era cada vez maior, a minha mãe tinha cada vez menos tempo. Por fim, não resisti e peguei
Colleen Stone
I dont know how to apply a star rating to a series of books that encouraged a generation of readers to read ALL the books in a series and then branch out into increasingly complex Series and stand alone books. My reading career began with the Noddy series. Scratch almost any author writing in English, and Enid Blyton (and very probably The Famous Five will be there). On that alone it earns a five.

But read the stories and you find template based plots, stereotypical characters, racism, sexism and
Sophie Crane
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. It makes me want to go on holiday and explore old ruins. It's a really good adventure story and I like the characters. My favourite is George because she is bold and brave and I like her dog Timmy, he's funny. I think girls would like this story most but boys might like it too.
Nusrat Mahmood
the emptiness you feel when you realize that তিন গোয়েনদার 'জিনার সেই দবীপ'is actually a copy of this book !! ...more
Anna
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Five books are always my favorites. They were some of my first novels I enjoyed reading. Got them all completed in no time long long time ago. Got every piece of the whole series as my precious collection, yet unfortunately I lost them in a way or so. They ain't cheap to get for sure, if you wish to collect them again in recent days. So, I guess I really should give up that idea. I am trying to make my consolation through ebook. Not getting the same joy from reading a real book, but hey... i ...more
Chaitra
Edited 8/22/17.

A friend asked me about Enid Blyton, and I remembered reading this book recently and being uncomfortable with its character portrayals. So here I was looking at my review, and honestly, it's probably one of the worst reviews I've ever written. (*Hint: Some of it was about George's gender identity, and I wanted to say something I was convinced Blyton didn't do well, but it came out being completely tone deaf. So I'm no good at gender issues either, mercifully I'm not a published au
Paul
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ah, the Famous Five! Talk about your blasts from the past. I haven't read these books since my age was still in single digits.

Re-reading them as an adult, their appeal is their innocence and the joy of recalling how I used to think my friends and I could have adventures just like the Famous Five! This book brought a big smile to my face.

There's another level of enjoyment to be had reading this book as an adult with a twisted sense of humour, as hardly a page goes by without some kind of unintend
Michele Cooper
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series as a child - the characters, the adventures, the mysteries to solve and the food was fascinating to someone growing up away from England. But I recently re-read them with my children and found them sadly dated. My young boys liked the plots but the attitudes and values of the characters were vastly different to theirs today.
Asghar Abbas
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Pure magic, still love it to this day. Still remember it to this day.
I think it is timeless, even anyone reading this today wouldn't feel that the story is set in the mid 1940s.

particularly the end was thrilling.
Elizabeth
This is SO interesting upon a reread! I read this series many, many times growing up. It's like Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys...but WAY BETTER. And it's interesting how my reading of the characters has changed as an adult.

When I was growing up, I was very much like George. In fact, in 3rd grade I made everyone call me George. I thought she was the coolest character I'd ever met, and we agreed on a lot of things (mostly on how being a girl sucked). Reading this as an adult is interesting. In some ways
Nikki
Ah, the Famous Five. I've been meaning to reread these for nostalgia's sake -- or at least a couple of them. I used to practically inhale them when I was eight or nine years old or so. I was a little apprehensive about a reread now -- especially because of all the talk about how inappropriate Enid Blyton's writing is now, in terms of feminism and racism... I thought I wouldn't be able to read it.

Fortunately, at least with the rose-coloured glasses of nostalgia, this book remained fun to read. It
Miffy
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review will have to do for all the Famous Five books, because, well really, it's just the same story over and over again.
But that 'sameness' is the very reason I come back to the Famous Five even now. There's something very satisfying about knowing that the Five will triumph, despite all the set-backs, baddies and dire (unlikely) occurences. Enid Blyton was the queen of the 'safe' book - predictable in a very British sort of way, but with four capable, clever and courageous protagonists, wh
Farhin
Nov 28, 2014 added it
Shelves: dnf
Aaah the children's classic. Famous Five. This is the first of their adventures and the first novel by Enid Blyton that I picked up myself.

Having these books read to my class by my primary school teacher as a child, I was sure picking the book up at 19 would flood me with nostalgia and innocent joy.

Instead, I dropped the book at 46%.

Yes. I DNF-ed it. It had nothing to do with the book itself. I think children would love to lose themselves in the adventures of Julian, Dick, Anne and Georgina-
Melanie
I re-read this just for the fun of it. Being poorly and staring at my daughter's bookshelf I plucked it off and read it in one (short) sitting. As a kid I loved the Famous Five books, they made me want to move to England so badly that I promised myself that one day I would live here. Funny how that turned out.

I can still totally see why I loved the books so much, I always loved a mystery even back then. Mystery and fantasy will forever be my favourite genre.
Matty-Swytla
Loved this series as a child and devoured several books in a row each holiday. I couldn't wait to go to the library and exchange one stack of books for another. :D
This series is an oldie but a goodie. Some elements of the story may be a bit dated now, especially technology, but the adventures more than make up for it. You can't resist the boyish charm of George/Georgina, her stubborness and courage. Not that other children aren't competent or ingenious, but she's my favourite.
Mike
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-lost-youth
Been a heck of a long time since I read these, but I always wanted to be a part of the Famous Five gang and go away and have adventures.

Sadly I don't really remember the stories just vague plots from different books. Always my summer holiday read.
Richa
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My childhood favourite - Enid Blyton! I am re-reading her books and I am so glad to find that I still can't put them down without finishing! They are really great exciting books! Glad to meet an old friend...
Shahad Hakeem
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

لطالما ظننتُ أن زمن قصص المغامرات الشهية قد انتهى،والآن عرفتُ أنني مخطئة.
قصة تتسارع فيها الأحداث و المشاعر،دقّات القلب،والإيقاع يعلو أكثر فأكثر.
معاني سامية،علاقات صادقة،شخصيات راقية.
أسلوب مدهش،و لا يُمَل.
سأكمل السلسلة بلا شك.
What's The Name o...: Cave on a beach with children [s] 10 118 Sep 16, 2013 02:41AM
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • Lima Sekawan: Menaklukkan Agen Rahasia (2)
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Dog (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #23)
  • Amazon Adventure
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • Jennings and Darbishire
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • Well Done, The Naughtiest Girl! (The Naughtiest Girl, #8)
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192
More about Enid Blyton...

The Famous Five (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan (Famous Five, #5)
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)
  • Five Have a Wonderful Time (Famous Five, #11)
“It wasn't a bit of good fighting grown-ups. They could do exactly as they liked.” 16 likes
“hunt” 1 likes