Start by marking “Showers, Flowers, and Fangs” as Want to Read:
Showers, Flowers, and Fangs

Showers, Flowers, and Fangs

Darren is your average half-human, half-fae trans teenager, busy figuring out his powers and puberty while trying to survive finals. When Vlad, a newly turned vampire, moves in with the witch down the street, he and Darren get off on the wrong foot. Darren is always one to give somebody a second chance, though, and as they become friends, he realizes Vlad is just lonely ...more
Published December 11th 2018 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Showers, Flowers, and Fangs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showers, Flowers, and Fangs

Start your review of Showers, Flowers, and Fangs
Meags
4 Stars

This was a very sweet, witty, and wildly imaginative fantasy themed LGBT YA story.

Set in an alternate universe where magical beings co-exist with humans, this story follows half-human, half-fae transgender teen Darren, as he meets, befriends, and eventually forms a romantic relationship with Vlad, a moody and mysterious newly-turned vampire teen who moves in down the street and is haunted by his past.

The two magical teens get off to a rocky start, but I enjoyed watching their
Ami
Darren is a half-human, half-fae transgender teen … and when we first meet him on the first page, Darren is suffering from menstruation cramps. (I don’t know why, but I really love that the author adds this scene to the book!) ...

Anyway, Darren then meets this newly turned vampire, Vlad the Vampire (he’s from Ukraine!), who’s also a newcomer in town. Their first meeting is not exactly meet-cute (Darren thinks Vlad is sniffing him, which is RUDE! *laugh*) but then Darren befriends Vlad, because
Ariadna
Aug 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at the end of Chapter 1.

Although I am sure the story did turned out to be as cute as the other reviewers say it was, I couldn't get past the Meet Ugly aspect at the start of the story.

TL;DR: A YA featuring diverse characters and a premise that sounded hella adorable. Unfortunately (for me), I felt such bad secondhand embarrassment at the beginning of the novel that I lost all of my enthusiasm for the rest of the book. I borrowed this from the library. :(
Ciphertext
I started reading this on the Kindle app, and I liked it so much that I had to buy a physical copy! Then the physical copy arrived, and it was so tiny (just over 170 pages) and I already knew I was gonna be disappointed. What was good was VERY good, but the length of the story, and therefore the pacing, left me really dissatisfied.

The story is about Darren, a half-fae trans high schooler who's just doing what half-fae trans high schoolers do. And he meets Vlad, a newly turned vampire who just
Joyfully Jay
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

How is it a story about a half-fae and his vampire boyfriend can be so … wholesome? Not only is Darren adorable, but he manages to be charming and sweet and good. Vlad may not be Prince Charming, but he has some smooth moves, such as coming to visit bearing chocolate after Darren mentions it in passing as a wonderful way to start a relationship, though he’s talking about an almost boyfriend from when he was thirteen. Darren is a little oblivious and Vlad is a little
Nadine
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have one word for this: adorable!This was such an enjoyable read. Due to the shortness of this book the worlbuilding is a little bit... I dunno what word to use,maybe brief? but actually not in a bad way. we get enough information that we need to understand what/who the main characters are,the supernatural elements are explained and I really liked how unique this little world is. The fae stuff especially was delightful. I would love to read more in this universe because I loved all
Elaine White
** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK FOR MY READING PLEASURE **
Reviewed for Divine Magazine

~

Showers, Flowers and Fangs
Aidan Wayne

190 Pages
POV: 3rd person, one character
Would I read it again?: Of course!
Genre: LGBT, YA, Fae, Trans, Fantasy, MM, Paranormal, Vampire
Pairings: MM

Ugh, this was just...lovely, sweet, and everything I needed from a book.

First off, kudos to Aidan Wayne for writing a trans, FTM main character who is REAL! And for understanding the plight that is period week. I mean, thank you! This
S.A. Crow
Charming, interesting, sweet. Loved the pacing, how things unfolded gently while still moving forward and including drama & excitement. Loved the matter-of-fact exploration of Darren's being trans, and explanations of magic (felt very natural to the story, not didactic). And I loved the care everyone took with each other. Would love to read more about these characters.
Hades
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you know how much sitting down with a book and not being able to put it down?
Lucy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
So much cuter than I thought it would be!
Filipa
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Serena Yates
Some books just have all the elements I love to see when diving into a story, and ‘Showers, Flowers, and Fangs’ checked all the boxes for me. The worldbuilding is excellent with a mix of supernatural species set in a unique world with its own history and rules that added a sense of mystery and enabled me to discover its secrets as events unfolded. The main character, Darren, is trans, half human and half fae, but his special power only emerges slowly and the reveal is very well done. The plot ...more
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Full RTC

Ah, this adorable book was such a great read and I dearly enjoyed the conversations Vlad and Darren had. These guys are hilarious. Over the book we see how they become friends and how this turns into something more.
Granted this is a YA nobody should expect heavy actions but we have these adorable kisses and acting, especially Vlad is such a charmer.

The book has a good dose of action and suspense, the pacing is great and I loved the world building.
It's honestly a shame to say goodbye to
Elizabeth Hanelt
Sweet, fun, unique magical world.

Fluffy lovely world, delightful characters and good details to this universe. Very kid and teen friendly, light (SPOILER) friends-into-boyfriends plot thread, satisfying resolution.
Free_dreamer
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

The blurb of Showers, Flowers and Fangs sounded extremely promising and I had quite high expectations. And I’m happy to say the author certainly didn’t disappoint.

I loved the world this book is set in. There are all the supernatural creatures you’ve ever heard of – and more. They live peacefully with the humans and half-breeds are far from unusual. That’s not a concept I’ve come across before. Darren got a bit unlucky with his abilities. He’s trans, but
Hannah Barnes
**Warning: this text may contain spoilers** Flowers, Showers, and Fangs is the exact type of Queer books we need. Rather than being about characters who are queer, the book is about queer characters dealing with external problems like relationships and evil vampires. Darren and Vlad have great interactions from the start, and the author does a great job of weaving real life and fantasy together.
Katherine
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun, funny, crazy, perfectly realistic young adult book about teens coming into their own. Teens who just so happen to be half fae-half human, or vampire, or witch, or werewolf....you get the idea. Yet even with the entire town being mixed in with supernaturals I don't know if I've ever read something that felt so truly real about going through high school and the changes and the friends and the romances. It was so good!

Darren (our half human-half fae) and Vlad (our vampire) meet
Charles Lithgow
I'll be honest, this book exceeded any of my expectations. I picked it up expecting a light hearted teen paranormal romance and in so many ways that's exactly what I got. But don't be fooled by the tropey plot described on the back of this book! Aidan Wayne has clearly put so much thought and care into the design of their characters and world, there was just enough world building to keep me in the story without distracting from their goal which was a character driven romance. Finally I ...more
Terri Jones
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the important caveat that I am hardly the demographic for a YA novel, I still enjoyed this, particularly the second half. For me, the first half was three stars (average YA though eloquently inclusive, which is wonderful) and the second half was five stars (yay action). Four stars overall. There is a lot to love about this story, from the casually accepted Trans character Darren, to how delightfully that compares with the acceptance of Vlad when we've been taught for decades that vampires ...more
Katie
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet fantasy romance story, that only disappointed in how short it was. Darren and Vlad has such great chemistry. Not that I would ever think to speak on behalf of the trans community, but I think the author explored some trans issues in an interesting way because of the fantasy elements. The glamours and misgendering were interesting in the context of this story. I think the plot could have used some work because the romance and friendship aspect was great, but the fantasy ...more
Deirdre
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely ADORED this book. It was written so well and seems to be incredibly accurate (I am not trans but from the little I do know, it seems to have been written with the utmost respect in that aspects and others present within the story). It was such a heart warming read and although I did cry at one part, I am so incredibly happy I bought this book. It’s a really incredible read for all age groups.
Rachel
4 Stars

I am a big Aidan Wayne fan. I find their stories so comforting and gentle. They write about genuinely nice people, characters who would make amazing friends in real life.

"Shower, Flowers, and Fangs" is lovely. There is diversity, inclusion, and a truly heartwarming sense of belonging. The MCs feel youthful, and their burgeoning romance is all sorts of sweetness and adorableness. Throw in some creative world building and some suspense, and this is a fun read.

Recommend!
Alice
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very cute! I'm always looking for queer YA fantasy, and Showers, Flowers, and Fangs really held up to what I was hoping. If you're looking for an intricate, serious, and dramatic fantasy, this might not be what you're looking for. However, I was looking for something really cute, light-hearted, with queer themes and fun magic—and this book was perfect for that! Darren and Vlad's story was an adorable and sweet read, and I look forward to more from this author in future.
Sara
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book! Looking for a read with tons of LGBT representation as well as lots of magical and fantasy elements? Well, here you go! This book brought a huge smile to my face and I wholeheartedly enjoyed it.
Freya
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much! Really looking forward to reading other works by the author and finding a physical copy to own.
Jamie
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely, sweet read with a slow, developing relationship between Vlad and Darren. I highly recommend it!
Sabrina
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book about LGBT mythical teenagers AND I AM HERE FOR IT.
This book is what Twilight should have been. Why can't this be a series that people fandom about?
Much love for this book <3
Rennie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very cute.
Geri
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-read
Imaginative and very very sweet (but not like sugar). Really enjoyed and would recommend.
Eli
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely incredible book. Very easy read. Wonderful ending. 10/10.
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong cover currently in use on Goodreads 3 30 Sep 26, 2018 06:41AM

• A King in Wonderland (Happily Ever Asher, #3)
  • Golden Boy and the Two Bears (Happily Ever Asher, #2)
  • Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars)
  • How to (Not) Train a Firecat
  • When Red Cried Wolf (Happily Ever Asher, #1)
  • Darkling (Port Lewis Witches, #1)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Blackbird in the Reeds (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #1)
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers #2)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Hidden Powers (Superordinary Society, #1)
Aidan Wayne has been publishing LGBTQ+ fiction since 2016. While they usually stick with contemporary romance (both adult and YA), some soft sci-fi/fantasy has been known to sneak in as well. They primarily write character-driven stories with happy endings, because, dammit, queer people deserve happy endings too.

Stay in the know and never miss a book by joining Aidan's mailing list.