Start by marking “Sea Sirens” as Want to Read:
Sea Sirens

Sea Sirens

(A Trot & Cap'n Bill Adventure #1)

Dive into this middle-grade graphic novel about a Vietnamese American surfer girl and her talking cat who plunge into a fantasy world of oceanic marvels . . . and mayhem!

Trot, a Vietnamese American surfer girl, and Cap'n Bill, her cranky one-eyed cat, catch too big a wave and wipe out, sucked down into a magical underwater kingdom where an ancient deep-sea battle rages.
Published June 11th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sea Sirens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Sirens

Start your review of Sea Sirens
Ed Erwin
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A girl discovers a fairy realm at the bottom of the sea and has adventures, accompanied by her cat and her grandfather. Partially inspired by the relatively unknown book The Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum, but also by Vietnamese tales, as well as the authors own imagination. So Cap'n Bill is now a cat rather than human character, and Trot's grandfather is dealing with senile dementia (or maybe Alzheimer's).

A little too simple for me, but probably will be appreciated by young readers.
Morgan
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randomly saw this on Amazon and then bought it at a bookstore when I looked inside. The artwork is really well done, very Little Nemo-esque. I liked the story to this a lot. I love the fact it's talks about singe parents and grandparents with dementia. My grandmother had dementia and it's not easy so this book somewhat gets you ready what you might expect, but in a less dramatic way.

Mainly got this book because it's based on a Baum book that I've read before. Baum's story not as well known as
Karina
Rating: 4.5 Stars: 1/2
Sea Sirens is a beautifully illustrated graphic novel with a unique and wonderfully colored art-style, an immersive story, and a delightful cast of characters! The plot and beautiful illustrations keep you turning the page! Powerful themes of family and friendship, alongside adventure, are present all throughout Chu and Lee's spectacular graphic novel! This one is a must-read!

Sea Sirens follows Trot, whose a dedicated surfer girl, & her one-eyed cat Cap'n Bill who get
Constance
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous art, imaginative story, uplifting ending. What more could you want?
Rae
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to Viking and Penguin Random House publishing for sending me this sweet book!!! I totally didn't expect to receive such a cool graphic novel and when it arrived I couldn't help but read it immediately!

It was such a fun adventure full of the love of family, pets, and discovery. I am totally on board for the next installment whenever it is due to be published! The artwork was so colorful and eye catching throughout and the story was one that warms your heart. I absolutely loved this!

I'll
Alicia
This beautiful graphic novel has the richness of color and the mashup of Vietnamese culture along with the sirens of the sea mythology and adds in a one-eyed surfing cat and a grandfather that has dementia. It's altogether lovely, funny, serious, family-oriented, culturally rich, etc. etc.

Trot likes to surf while her grandfather fishes from the dock. He goes missing one day because he forgets where he is. He's found, then Trot tries again to take him out but gets lost in the sea and is brought
Becky B
Trot loves surfing. When she goes out in stormy waters with her cat, Cap'n Bill, they wipe out in the big waves. Trot is bonked on the head by her board and comes to in a fantastic underwater world under the care of the sea sirens who rescued her. The sea sirens have made it so they can breathe underwater, and Cap'n Bill can even talk. The sea sirens are incredibly thankful because Cap'n Bill scared off the evil Serpents. Surprisingly, Trot's grandfather also shows up, having followed Trot to ...more
Lenoire
Trot is a Vietnamese American girl who is an avid surfer that loves the ocean. She is usually accompanied by her grumpy one-eyed cat, Cap'n Bill. While surfing one day, Trot wipes out on a big wave and is transported to a magical underwater kingdom. She realizes that she is in the middle of ancient deep-sea battle. The Sea Sirens are being invaded by the Serpent King and his minions. When someone gets kidnap, Trot must risk everything to rescue someone she loves dearly.

The beautifully drawn
Such a fun, and well-illustrated- graphic novel! Surfer girl Trot and her grandfather take care of each other while her mom is at work. One day while surfing during a coming storm trot's cat, Cap'n Bill, is swept under the water. When she dives to rescue him she discovers an undersea world ruled by an ancient civilization of Sirens.

The story is quite fun! Love the Asian main character! The illustrations bumped it all up to a 5th star. So beautiful.
Marianne
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming. I enjoyed the contrast between the modernity of the main characters and the eccentric vintage nature of the story (a retelling of one of Baum's old stories).
Ruth
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2019
A beautifully illustrated, charming story featuring a Vietnamese-American girl and her one-eyed cat on an undersea adventure with the sea sirens and their enemies, the sea serpents.
Gretchen
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love L. Frank Baum’s the Sea Fairies but I think I love this beautiful graphic novel update more.
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun story about a girl, her cat, and grandpa and the underwater adventure they go on. I am so happy to see more illustrations by Janet Lee!
Autumn Byrd
description

Other creators involved in the making of this graphic novel include: Lettering by Jimmy Gownley

This graphic novel was inspired by The Sea Fairies, L. Frank Baum’s “underwater Wizard of Oz.” It weaves Vietnamese mythology, fantastical ocean creatures, and a deep-sea setting.

To Trot, life has always been about riding the waves and taking care of her grandfather. When Trot’s grandfather reappears after disappearing, Trot’s mother loses her temper and grounds them both. Deciding that being
tony dillard jr
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trot is a young Vietnamese American girl who loves to surf. While she's riding the waves with her one-eyed cat, Cap'n Bill, her grandfather spends his time fishing on a nearby pier. Trot's grandfather is in the early stages of dementia. Sometimes his mind wanders off. Sometimes, he does.

That's exactly what happens on one excursion, to which the police have to get involved. As a result both Trot, and Cap'n Bill are forbidden by the girl's mother to continue surfing when she should be watching her
Melissa
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Trot, a surfer girl, and Cap'n Bill, a one-eyed rescue cat, are about to fall into an adventure... quite literally. When a rogue wave topples the pair from the surf board they are rescued by a group of warrior mermaids as thanks for Cap'n Bill's heroic (and unintentional) defeat of enemy sea serpents. These underwater beings show the duo (and readers) the many wonders of the underwater world along with themes of discovery, friendship, and understanding along with light commentary regarding ...more
Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland
Inspired by L. Frank Baum’s novel The Sea Fairies, Sea Sirens is a fun magical adventure tale about a girl and her cat who discover an underwater kingdom after getting swept away at sea.

This graphic novel drew my attention because it features a Vietnamese-American girl, an animal companion, a surfer-protagonist, and magical elements. To top it off, the California beach setting and underwater adventures are perfect for a summer read.

Trot lives in a close-knit home. While there is no mention of a
Courtney Pate
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Viking Books for Young Readers and Penguin Random House for a free copy of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I was SO surprised to get this finished copy from Viking today! I saw I had something coming from Penguin Random House so I was like, ‘Oh, it’s Memento.’ Even though I’m so excited for Memento, I was pleasantly surprised! And a finished copy! What?!

I was so excited I dove right in to this California surfer girl’s story.
Michelle
So Trot is a surfer that hangs out at the beach everyday after school while her grandfather, who is surfing from dementia, watches her. That caught my attention. Then this story kind of took a weird turn. One day her grandfather goes missing but is later found pretty quickly. This causes Trot's mom though to forbid them from hanging out the beach all day anymore. They are to only stay in the house. Trot can't believe this is happening to her so one day, when she sees her grandfather is sleeping ...more
Lydia
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Trot and her cat, Cap'n Bill enjoy surfing off the California coast. Though her mom works, her grandpa keeps an eye on her while he fishes, so life is good! Then grandpa has a bad day with his dementia, wandering off and causing Trot and her mom to worry, so when he does come back, Trot's mom says "No more beach!" Trot is incensed, feeling it extremely unfair she can't surf because of what her grandpa did, so when she hears him snoring, she decides to sneak out with Cap'n Bill and catch at least ...more
Anne
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Sea Sirens is a middle grade graphic novel that follows a young surfer named Trot and her one-eyed cat Cap'n Bill on a trip deep into the ocean. After being struck by a massive wave, they find themselves among the Sea Sirens, mermaids locked in an ancient battle with the Sea Snakes. Along the way the story also explores Trot's relationship with her grandfather, who has dementia.

The central cast is charming (particularly Bill), though I found myself wanting a bit more from the side characters,
Angie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Review I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. The below is my honest review and opinion. It was such a pleasant surprise to receive this book in the mail. It was a perfect book to kick off my summer. The colors of this one are so bright and vibrant and I really enjoyed the illustration style. The story is supposed to be based on a fairy tale and mythology but I am not familiar with those original materials, so I was able to just enjoy the story for what it was. I ...more
Travis
This is a perfectly fine graphic novel aimed at kids, but I found it a bit bland. The art is bright and attractive, though I felt like it could do better at depicting dynamic scenes of movement and action, and I dislike how the faces tend to have a bit of a caricature style to them, with just-slightly-too-exaggerated features. The plot is quite basic. The cat was a lot less likeable when it could talk (supposedly it was just that Trot was given the ability to understand the cat, but the cats ...more
Erin Cataldi
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
A cute middle grade novel about a Vietnamese American surfer girl named Trot who is accidentally engulfed in a big wave and cast underseas with her trusty cats. What she discovers is a fantastical palace ruled by mermaids, when her trusty kitty, Cap'n Bill, fends off some dastardly serpents, the mermaids welcome the unlikely duo. At first Trot is apprehensive about staying underwater too long, she cant leave her grandfather alone for too long and her mother is at work, but soon she is having too ...more
Tinta
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this graphic novel because of the illustrations and the creative story of a young girl and a special cat who enjoys being in the ocean. The young girl deals with her grandfather who has dementia and when he wonders away for hours on end, her mother will limit their time at the docks. However, Trot can't stay away from the water and her surf board so with her trusty, water loving cat, Capt'n Bill, she will sneak out of the house. When a big wave takes them under the water, they will ...more
Tracey
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2019
diverse middlegrade graphic novel (Vietnamese American with grandfather suffering from dementia/forgetfulness has underwater adventure/dream after a surfing accident with her sidekick cat with one good eye, Cap'n Bill)

absolutely beautiful illustrations; love the flowy blouses/dresses and the rest of the siren costumes. Love the representation of minority and differently abled characters, love the strong personality of the cat.
Though the main character is in middle school, this book would also be
Bookish
Sadly, I haven’t made it to the beach this summer. Luckily, I did get the chance this week to do a little armchair traveling with Trot, a Vietnamese American surfer, and her trusty sidekick, Cap’N Bill the one-eyed cat. After a day at the beach, the two find themselves transported to an underground kingdom where Sea Sirens are locked into a heated battle with the Serpent King and his snake army. Middle grade readers are sure to be swept up in the action and adventure of this graphic novel, and I ...more
Leila Anani
This is a modern, graphic novel reworking of L Frank Baum's 'The Sea Fairies' a childhood favourite of mine.

It's a magical adventure of a girl, Trot and her cat, Captain Bill who get rescued by mermaids after a surfing accident. Along with her senile grandpa who attempts a rescue the three help broker peace between the mermaid queendom and the kingdom of the sea serpents.

Whimsical and sweet with striking art by Amy Chu - this mixes in Vietnamese culture and the Asian style art gives this one a
Emily
When surfer Trot and her trusty cat companion Cap'n Bill almost drown, they are rescued by a society of Sea Sirens who live under the sea. The Sea Sirens welcome the above dwellers to their home, but will the wonders of the underwater kingdom tempt Trot and Bill away from the surface world forever?

Lovely, intricate artwork and an imaginative story (apparently based on Frank L. Baum's The Sea Fairies?). I really liked this comic, but I think the story would make an even better animated movie! 3.5
Sesana
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I read the book this is loosely based on years ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the original story and I can't comment on the adaptation aspect of this book. I can say that I really liked the art, with all of its detail and imagination and the handful of callbacks to John R. Neill's Oz illustrations. The story, on the other hand, is just ok, and Trot's grandfather is the only character I really developed an attachment for. The actual target audience might be more likely to embrace Trot ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Island Book
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • The Breakaways
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • Hotel Dare
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Dear Justice League
  • Guts
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Graphic Novel: A Modern Retelling of Little Women
  • No Ivy League
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
Writer for DC, Vertigo, Marvel, IDW and more, including: Poison Ivy, Ant-Man, Deadpool, Red Sonja, Green Hornet, Sensation Comics Wonder Woman, X-Files. KISS and DMC Comics. Cofounded Alpha Girl Comics, publisher of Girls Night Out and other comics. Frequent comic-con panel speaker and moderator.

A Trot & Cap'n Bill Adventure (2 books)
  • Sky Island