Start by marking “Sea Sirens” as Want to Read:
Sea Sirens

Sea Sirens

(A Trot & Cap'n Bill Adventure #1)

Dive into this middle-grade graphic novel about a Vietnamese American surfer girl and her talking cat who plunge into a fantasy world of oceanic marvels . . . and mayhem!

Trot, a Vietnamese American surfer girl, and Cap'n Bill, her cranky one-eyed cat, catch too big a wave and wipe out, sucked down into a magical underwater kingdom where an ancient deep-sea battle rages. Th
Published June 11th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sea Sirens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Sirens

Start your review of Sea Sirens
Kaethe Douglas
L. Frank Baum was not a good storyteller: he didn't want kids to be worried, so as soon as any sort of conflict would arise in the plot, he had it instantly resolved. If the purpose of fairy tales is to teach us that dragons can be killed, Baum's stories are a particular failure, because the heroines don't get to fight, or even think up a possible solution. They lack all agency. Anything you like about the Wizard comes from the movie, not the book.

But this now, this is a thing of beauty. A moder
Ed Erwin
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A girl discovers a fairy realm at the bottom of the sea and has adventures, accompanied by her cat and her grandfather. Partially inspired by the relatively unknown book The Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum, but also by Vietnamese tales, as well as the author's own imagination. So Cap'n Bill is now a cat rather than human character, and Trot's grandfather is dealing with senile dementia (or maybe Alzheimer's).

A little too simple for me, but probably will be appreciated by young readers.
Morgan
Randomly saw this on Amazon and then bought it at a bookstore when I looked inside. The artwork is really well done, very Little Nemo-esque. I liked the story to this a lot. I love the fact it's talks about singe parents and grandparents with dementia. My grandmother had dementia and it's not easy so this book somewhat gets you ready what you might expect, but in a less dramatic way.

Mainly got this book because it's based on a Baum book that I've read before. Baum's story not as well known as hi
Karina
Rating: 4.5 Stars: ★★★★ 1/2
Sea Sirens is a beautifully illustrated graphic novel with a unique and wonderfully colored art-style, an immersive story, and a delightful cast of characters! The plot and beautiful illustrations keep you turning the page! Powerful themes of family and friendship, alongside adventure, are present all throughout Chu and Lee's spectacular graphic novel! This one is a must-read!

Sea Sirens follows Trot, whose a dedicated surfer girl, & her one-eyed cat Cap'n Bill who get
Constance
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous art, imaginative story, uplifting ending. What more could you want?
Rae
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to Viking and Penguin Random House publishing for sending me this sweet book!!! I totally didn't expect to receive such a cool graphic novel and when it arrived I couldn't help but read it immediately!

It was such a fun adventure full of the love of family, pets, and discovery. I am totally on board for the next installment whenever it is due to be published! The artwork was so colorful and eye catching throughout and the story was one that warms your heart. I absolutely loved this!

I'll
Alicia
This beautiful graphic novel has the richness of color and the mashup of Vietnamese culture along with the sirens of the sea mythology and adds in a one-eyed surfing cat and a grandfather that has dementia. It's altogether lovely, funny, serious, family-oriented, culturally rich, etc. etc.

Trot likes to surf while her grandfather fishes from the dock. He goes missing one day because he forgets where he is. He's found, then Trot tries again to take him out but gets lost in the sea and is brought
Raina
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, j
Wow, this art pops.

I'm sure there's a term to describe the organic, stylized lines Lee uses here. I love the mix of saturated color with detailed, delicate shapes.

As you'll see from the summaries, this is the story of a Vietnamese American surfer kid and their one-eyed surfing cat. When they find themselves under the ocean, the cat starts to speak so that the kid can understand. They meet undersea residents of various kinds.

It's a lovely kick-off to a series - I'm glad to see there's a sequel
Kim Tyo-Dickerson
This richly illustrated, #ownvoices middle grade graphic novel draws on Vietnamese folk and fairy tales and a long-lost mermaid story, The Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum. The underwater adventures star Trot, a California girl who loves to surf, her one-eyed, pirate-themed tabby cat, Cap'n Bill, Trot's Grandpa, who is forgetful and chronically gets lost, and fantastically beautiful, Art Nouveau-clothed mermaids who also happen to be ferocious warriors.

One fateful day, Trot has a surfing accident w
Zoe
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
For starters, the artwork in this book is
amazing, it’s absolutely gorgeous. I remember before reading it looking some of the pages up (I’m a peeker, yes) and I was just shocked at how lovely the illustrations were!

The storyline is quite well made! Sweet story, very nautical of course. I especially enjoyed the underwater part when the Sirens join into the storyline - but all of it was amazing. :)

Should give it a read! It’s a great book!🌊🧜‍♀️
Alissa
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute. Not Fantastic or super memorable. But cute. Characters were mostly kind of dull, the dialogue read like something that had been translated, and the resolution was kind of... anticlimactic, I suppose. But still cute. A good concept I wish was executed better (because I DO love mermaids and cats and this should have been the ultimate story for me). But again, still cute. And pretty artwork!

p.s. The character of Cap'N Bill saved this one!
Ruth
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novel
A beautifully illustrated, charming story featuring a Vietnamese-American girl and her one-eyed cat on an undersea adventure with the sea sirens and their enemies, the sea serpents.
Becky B
Trot loves surfing. When she goes out in stormy waters with her cat, Cap'n Bill, they wipe out in the big waves. Trot is bonked on the head by her board and comes to in a fantastic underwater world under the care of the sea sirens who rescued her. The sea sirens have made it so they can breathe underwater, and Cap'n Bill can even talk. The sea sirens are incredibly thankful because Cap'n Bill scared off the evil Serpents. Surprisingly, Trot's grandfather also shows up, having followed Trot to th ...more
Hal Schrieve
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Look at the cover and TELL me this book isn't gorgeous. Delicious, bright sea-washed watercolor (digital watercolor?) and delightfully detailed creature-focused inkwork inspired by the early 20th century Arts and Crafts movement (lots of lanterns and flowers and twisting fishy bodies) make this fun to curl up with even if you're just looking at the pictures-- but it also offers a fantastical, out-of-this-world narrative arc perfect for mermaid fans, adventure-lovers, and cat fanatics.

Trot is a y
Allie
The story is good, but the art is truly exceptional. Janet K. Lee's work combines a Rick Geary-esque comics style with some incredibly lush art nouveau details. The beautiful whiplash lines! I don't think I'm smart enough to describe how and why the illustrations kick so much ass! There were times when I just spaced out, stopped reading, and just looked at the illustrations. Some the text was clunky (even for a children's book) and the plotting was a little wonky. I will definitely continue to r ...more
Lenoire
Trot is a Vietnamese American girl who is an avid surfer that loves the ocean. She is usually accompanied by her grumpy one-eyed cat, Cap'n Bill. While surfing one day, Trot wipes out on a big wave and is transported to a magical underwater kingdom. She realizes that she is in the middle of ancient deep-sea battle. The Sea Sirens are being invaded by the Serpent King and his minions. When someone gets kidnap, Trot must risk everything to rescue someone she loves dearly.

The beautifully drawn gra
Tinta
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this graphic novel because of the illustrations and the creative story of a young girl and a special cat who enjoys being in the ocean. The young girl deals with her grandfather who has dementia and when he wonders away for hours on end, her mother will limit their time at the docks. However, Trot can't stay away from the water and her surf board so with her trusty, water loving cat, Capt'n Bill, she will sneak out of the house. When a big wave takes them under the water, they will mee ...more
Such a fun, and well-illustrated- graphic novel! Surfer girl Trot and her grandfather take care of each other while her mom is at work. One day while surfing during a coming storm trot's cat, Cap'n Bill, is swept under the water. When she dives to rescue him she discovers an undersea world ruled by an ancient civilization of Sirens.

The story is quite fun! Love the Asian main character! The illustrations bumped it all up to a 5th star. So beautiful.
Alina Karapandzich
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
So quirky and weird but really fun! I love the illustrations and I love the cat sidekick he's honestly incredible. Plenty of action and mystery but all delivered very quickly and succinctly. Good for like 4th grade and up. ...more
Ashley
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The art in here is beautiful and detailed! Really a fun fantasy read as a surfer girl (and cat) finds herself in a siren world, welcomed and friendly! The author credits baum's book about mermaids (or the sort) and a girls adventure...I may have to read next! Fantastic! ...more
Marianne
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming. I enjoyed the contrast between the modernity of the main characters and the eccentric vintage nature of the story (a retelling of one of Baum's old stories). ...more
Kasia
Nov 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Wasn’t my favourite, definitely good for a younger audience though
Gretchen
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love L. Frank Baum’s the Sea Fairies but I think I love this beautiful graphic novel update more.
Sascha
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fantasy
the art is quite beautiful in places but stiff and awkward in others. the dialogue can be clunky with poor comedic timing and there's an odd "slur" joke that really fell flat. still, it's a cute idea and some of the spreads are worth skimming over ...more
Jenn
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun story about a girl, her cat, and grandpa and the underwater adventure they go on. I am so happy to see more illustrations by Janet Lee!
Michelle
So Trot is a surfer that hangs out at the beach everyday after school while her grandfather, who is surfing from dementia, watches her. That caught my attention. Then this story kind of took a weird turn. One day her grandfather goes missing but is later found pretty quickly. This causes Trot's mom though to forbid them from hanging out the beach all day anymore. They are to only stay in the house. Trot can't believe this is happening to her so one day, when she sees her grandfather is sleeping ...more
Travis
This is a perfectly fine graphic novel aimed at kids, but I found it a bit bland. The art is bright and attractive, though I felt like it could do better at depicting dynamic scenes of movement and action, and I dislike how the faces tend to have a bit of a caricature style to them, with just-slightly-too-exaggerated features. The plot is quite basic. The cat was a lot less likeable when it could talk (supposedly it was just that Trot was given the ability to understand the cat, but the cats app ...more
Samantha W.
This was a quick read, and cute. I liked the characters, the adventure and development of them, and the cat of course. <3
Autumn Byrd
description

Other creators involved in the making of this graphic novel include: Lettering by Jimmy Gownley

This graphic novel was inspired by The Sea Fairies, L. Frank Baum’s “underwater Wizard of Oz.” It weaves Vietnamese mythology, fantastical ocean creatures, and a deep-sea setting.

To Trot, life has always been about riding the waves and taking care of her grandfather. When Trot’s grandfather reappears after disappearing, Trot’s mother loses her temper and grounds them both. Deciding that being g
tony dillard jr
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trot is a young Vietnamese American girl who loves to surf. While she's riding the waves with her one-eyed cat, Cap'n Bill, her grandfather spends his time fishing on a nearby pier. Trot's grandfather is in the early stages of dementia. Sometimes his mind wanders off. Sometimes, he does.

That's exactly what happens on one excursion, to which the police have to get involved. As a result both Trot, and Cap'n Bill are forbidden by the girl's mother to continue surfing when she should be watching her
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Kerry and the Knight of the Forest
  • The Okay Witch (The Okay Witch, #1)
  • Catherine's War
  • The Runaway Princess
  • Kodi (#1)
  • Trespassers
  • Donut the Destroyer
Writer for DC, Vertigo, Marvel, IDW and more, including: Poison Ivy, Ant-Man, Deadpool, Red Sonja, Green Hornet, Sensation Comics Wonder Woman, X-Files. KISS and DMC Comics. Cofounded Alpha Girl Comics, publisher of Girls Night Out and other comics. Frequent comic-con panel speaker and moderator.

A Trot & Cap'n Bill Adventure (2 books)
  • Sky Island