Start by marking “A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)

(Soulbound #1)

When the gods come calling, you don’t get to say no.

Patrick Collins is three years into a career as a special agent for the Supernatural Operations Agency when the gods come calling to collect a soul debt he owes them. An immortal has gone missing in New York City and bodies are showing up in the wake of demon-led ritual killings that Patrick recognizes all too easily fr
Published September 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about A Ferry of Bones & Gold, please sign up.
Hailey Turner Hi Santy. I'm so sorry I never saw this come through! December was crazy all around for me. All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound 2) will release on March …moreHi Santy. I'm so sorry I never saw this come through! December was crazy all around for me. All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound 2) will release on March 19, 2019.(less)

Start your review of A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
All of my friends love A Ferry of Bones & Gold, and so when I polled everyone on social media to see which book I should read next, this was the overwhelming winner.

While I enjoyed A Ferry of Bones & Gold, I wish it was... more.

I'm an urban fantasy lover, and I'm a long-time reader of authors like Ilona Andrews and Jim Butcher, so I expect a lot from my urban fantasy. What I really value is impeccable world-building and really tight editing, and I think that's where Hailey Turner could have ste
carol.
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: UF m-m romance
Recommended to carol. by: Soo
Definitely a QB¹ read, but strangely addicting. I found the combination of ex-military, magic-wielding, NYC, and inclusion of the pantheon of gods downright irresistible. I finished this and went straight (haha) on to the next.

My synopsis, aka what makes this different from everything else I've read: A very damaged² ex-military mage is called in by the locals to consult on a stalled investigation² of what seems to be supernatural serial killings. In the course of the investigation, he runs into
Simone
Audiobook: ***4 Stars*** (July 2019)

Gary Furlong rocked Jono's voice. The rest of the characters could have been a bit more distinctive, especially the female voices.

-----------------------------------------------

***4.5 Stars***
Magic, willed out from his tainted soul, spun itself into a pale, glowing blue sphere no bigger than a golf ball. It nestled against the curve of his hand, mostly hidden from sight.

It was one of those phone calls. One of those
Wendy
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue rating stars

It is no secret that I am a big fan of Hailey Turner's "Metahuman" series. I fell deeply in love with the characters from that series, especially Kyle and Alexei...they were awesome. So when I found out she was releasing a new "Urban Fantasy" series, I was all in !!

Now I have got to be honest here and confess, that I don't exactly know, which of the books I have read, fall under the "Urban Fantasy" genre. I just know, that I love reading PNR and that I have definitely read my fair share of those
Deborah
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Starting another re-read ready for the new release in 2 days 🤗🤗🤗

Re-read 8th - 10th September 2019.

Just as good third time round.

Re-read 21st - 23rd March 2019

Figured I’d best do a re-read before starting the new one.

Original review.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I’d irritate myself with my corniness I’d refer to this book as spellbinding.

Usually it takes me a chapter or two to settle into a book. To get a feel for it and see if I’m going to like it. This hooked me immediately. Which was surprisi
Dia
It's my first book by this author and the first book in this series. I enjoyed the suspense and the world building even if paranormal is not my favorite. Now I really want to try The Metahumans series by this author. For some reason I postponed it.

I'll give this one 4 stars because it was intense and full of action. But it was exhausting to read. For me. As much as I loved the couple, there are SO many secondary characters. My head was spinning! And I am sorry to say this but I think it could ha
Len Evans Jr
Just perfection from start to finish!

Awesome book populated by wonderfully flawed characters with the perfect balance of action and romance! Full review tomorrow! Highly recommend it to all that love sexy paranormal stories!
Shin Mon Thway
I used to read a lot of mainstream urban fantasy books and they are one of my favorite genres. I love them because they are creative, wild, imaginative, magical and oh-so-fun. 😋 So I’m very pleasantly surprised when I found out Hailey Turner is writing one. And ding-ding-ding, I was on cloud nine when I found out again that Gary Furlong is going to do the narration of this book because we all know he’s my very favorite narrator. 😁🥰 And all in all, this book met all my expectations. 😌

In the fasc
Cadiva
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Whisper it quietly but I think Hailey's written another amazing pair of lovers who might have just kicked Alexei and Sean to the curb in my list of favourites (but please don't let the Russian pyrotechnic know okay?!).

I am absolutely head over heels for Patrick and Jono, both individually and as a partnership. Patrick is every thing I love in a flawed hero, both metaphorically and literally as his magic has been damaged beyond repair when first we meet him.

Jono is a British boy, and every time h
Diana
4 stars ????

I am really conflicted on how to rate this one. As much as I liked the story itself, there was so much world building thrown at you, I was utterly lost. It was even more difficult because I was listening to the audiobook, and I had no idea there was an index. I eventually switched over to the book and found the index which did make things a little easier.

I did enjoy Gary Furlong as the narrator, his voice for the main characters, especially Jono, was perfect. I did, however, find it
Nataliya
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Oh dear. A part of me loved so much about this book. A part of me was terribly annoyed by it. Which part won, you ask? Well, I’m starting the second book now, so that’s your answer.

Let’s start with the good, shall we? This book is just so much fun!
“Patrick had a tendency to put out fires with gasoline.”
It takes the staples of the Urban Fantasy genre and tosses them all together and somehow makes the resultant mix a vibrant and fascinating mishmash and not just a trope casserole.
This is a
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio – 5 + Stars! I really enjoyed Gary Furlong’s performance. Not only does he give Jono a British accent to die for, he also does a great job with the New York accent he gives Casale. Yum! Too bad Patrick's character didn't call for an Irish Brogue..lol (that's me being greedy)

Story – 5 + Overwhelming but I loved it Stars!

I can’t even begin to review a book like this. Kudos to my GR friends who were able to.

All I have to say is, I read Hailey Turner books because I know I can count on tons of
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Actually Not So Bad*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Look, I read in a review somewhere that this book had a possessive alpha male in it and I just needed an alpha male. A possessive alpha. And that was enough to change my mind about reading this one after all.. Did I make the right choice? Well... I'm have to be honest and say that I was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked it. Sure, it wasn't great, but it was enjoyable and had a plot line with cool characters. My problem however was that there was a lot of
Corina
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, mm

A Ferry of Bones & Gold is my first book by this author but it won't be my last - I actually DEVOURED book 1 and 2  - and didn't want to leave the house at all this weekend. That's a fantastic sign if you ask me.

If you love UF, if you love MM, and if you loved Kate Daniels you'll love this series.

There was NOTHING I didn't enjoy about this book. Mainly because it had everything I love about a great UF series. A fantastic main couple that I could cheer on, lots of action, a great support
Alisa
I have a lot of feelings about this book. Most of them good. Some, not so much.

First the good. I loved the concept of the story and it was really good to see an actual urban fantasy that also includes a m/m romance. I loved Patrick and Jono and thought they were great together. They had a ton of chemistry and were smoking hot in the smexy scenes. Their relationship is fated mates kind of thing which I love. It's one of my favorite tropes so that was a giant win for me. I also really liked all of
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Although I am a big fan of Hailey Turner's Metahuman Files series, I was slow to pick up A Ferry of Bones & Gold. I haven't read an urban fantasy novel in years, and I worried that I would miss the romance. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it.

Well, I enjoyed it. So much that while I still missed the romance, I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. A Ferry of Bones & Gold drew me in. Here's how:

*A compelling story that unfolds amid even more compelling world-building. As former combat mage t
Bev
I was so torn with this book. See, by the half way mark it really wasn't doing it for me and I set it aside. In fact, I returned it through KU. Then it started to niggle at me and wouldn't get out my thoughts so I downloaded it again and .... I'm glad I did.

Once the real action kicked it up a notch and the big reveals about Patrick's past started to flow I was hooked. But this needed to come way, way earlier in the story and this is where it lost its shine for me. The author's imagination and w
⚣Michaelle⚣
And of course the audio comes out less than a month after I've already read this...with Gary Furlong narrating. Looks like a re-read/listen is on the horizon!

20Aug2019: Yep, re-read via audio. Just as enjoyable this time around!

29Mar2019: 5 FULL STARS

I'd give it more if GR had them...it was that good.

The mythology, the magic, the plot, the action, the romance. Gah. I was up all night reading this (my eyes feel like I planted face first into a pile of sand) and I'm exhausted...but I'm totally gon
Jewel
4.5 Stars

This book was so up my tree, I can't even tell ya. Loved it!

----------------------------------------------------
Woot!!! Thank you Impatient Elf!!!! I can't WAIT to read this! <3
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Soulbound, Book 1
By: Hailey Turner
Narrated by: Gary Furlong
This book was addicting! I love an alternative world, urban fiction with magic, weres, vampires, other magical creatures, ancient gods, and sorcerers. The plot is complex, well thought out, and unpredictable. Great world building! Of course you have to have love! Patrick and Jonathan, or Jono, keep things hot with their sex scenes.
I thought the narrator performed awesomely! I could distinguish each voice by sound
Gerbera_Reads
All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine.

Socrates

Ms Turner has done it again. She brought new world and new magic into our lives. I would venture a guess that this is the best urban fantasy novel I've read to date. It is spectacular! I loved every page! Among humans and immortals, werewolves and vampires, mages and witches we find ourselves at the epicenter of an epic battle between good and evil. How much are people willing to sacrifice to become o
Eugenia
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dang!

Re-read/listen: 5/5/19
Gary Furlong!!! How could I NOT listen to him??! I’m upping my rating from 4.0 to 4.5!! Because...Gary Fucking Furlong is a VOICE GOD!

I’ll admit that it was strange to hear him do an American accent for Patrick and for the narrative. But when he spoke for our hot and hunky alpha god pack werewolf from England??? Gahhhh!!! Voicegasm!!!

I also enjoyed the story more—I’d forgotten most of it and really, really liked it this second go around. I’m not sure what it says abou
Ariana
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reread September 2019

Another reread that was totally gratifying!
On a second read all the creatures and people didn't feel as overwhelming as on my first read, because I knew about them to start with, and I also remembered to check the glossary at the back when I needed some info.
As for Patrick and Jono ... ahhhhhh. So good and what a start to a series!

Original review:

My mind is offically …

Hailey Turner’s imagination is bottomless. That’s all I can say.
If you read the Metahuman series In the Wrec
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

Whew. What a story.

It's no secret that I positively adored Turner's Metahuman Files series, Jamie and Kyle especially but I eventually came to love Alexei and Sean almost just as much.

For that, it was a tough act to follow because I was expecting a lot - couldn't help it.

For the most part, this story held up for what I've come to expect from this author, who is definitely an auto-buy for me.

A lot of the good and awesome in this story was a little lost in the setting up of this worl
Mir
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the Goodreads Giveaway program.
This is the first book I've won in years. Ironically, I had already borrowed a paper copy and read it, but thanks for the ebook, goodreads and/or publisher!

Summary review:
This was quite fun. Lots of mythology and magic, lots of action.
More like a 3.5, but I chose to round up because I enjoyed it enough that I will likely read the sequel.

I think your enjoyment of this book will largely depend on how much Urban Fantasy you'v
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-novel-take, m-m, lgbtq, arc
Sometimes I forget that I kind of do like Urban Fantasy and not just Paranormal Romance. I think somewhere in my head I think too much Fantasy and not enough Romance just won’t work for me.

Sometimes I’m just silly.

The beginning of this book took some getting used to, so many freaking acronyms guys, but once I got my groove I couldn’t put this down.

Hailey’s writing is superb.

The world building was amazing, so many supernaturals! I can’t wait to see where else we get to go in this world and man, t
Sanaa
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars.

A Ferry of Bones & Gold was not my first book by the author I'm always impressed with the world she seems to create. This was a crazy journey and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure how many more books Hailey's going to write but I'm going to keep reading them.

I loved Patrick and Jono together. Their chemistry was there and I loved how well they seemed to work together.

“I’ll be your weapon if you’ll be my pack,” Jono whispered against his lips.

The only thing was that there was a
Santy
Re-read/Listen 20-May-2020
Still soo good!! The narrator was great for the male voices especially Jono’s but the female voices were all quite similar and not as distinctive as they could’ve been.

Nonetheless, the story more than made up for this as it gripped me from the beginning and didn’t let go till the very end!

Moving on to the next one!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Perfection. Sheer Perfection.

It had great Characterisation, seamless melding of various pant
Kaje Harper
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an action-packed urban fantasy in which Patrick, a government agent and ex-military mage, faces off against The Dominion Sect - a cult with the goal of stealing godhood from one of the old gods and passing it to their leader, to rule with that power. Patrick's history and family roots are tied up in this battle, which has already almost killed him at least twice. To survive in the past, he's given promises to gods and supernaturals, and lost parts of himself.

As the lines of the struggle
fleurette
A Ferry of Bones & Gold

I’ve started this book completely unaware that this author is already familiar to me. I have read first two books in Metahuman Files series and really liked them. But I have to admit that I enjoy this book even more.

Maybe it’s because it is more on the urban fantasy side than science fiction and I’m generally more keen of this genre. And even though the world and idea of magic presented in Soulbound series is not tremendously innovative, it is still different enough from the other concepts I k

• The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • The Necromancer's Dance (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • The Enchanter's Flame (The Ellwood Chronicles #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • The Enchanter's Soul (The Ellwood Chronicles #2)
  • The Necromancer's Dilemma (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #2)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
Hailey Turner is big city girl who spoils her cats rotten and has a demanding day job that she loves, but not as much as she loves writing. She’s been writing since she was a young child and enjoys reading almost as much as creating a new story. Hailey loves stories with lots of action, gritty relationships, and an eventual HEA that satisfies the heart.

You can keep up with Hailey's future project

Soulbound (6 books)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound #5)
  • An Echo in the Sorrow (Soulbound, #6)

News & Interviews