Start by marking “A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)

A Ferry of Bones & Gold

(Soulbound #1)

When the gods come calling, you don’t get to say no.

Patrick Collins is three years into a career as a special agent for the Supernatural Operations Agency when the gods come calling to collect a soul debt he owes them. An immortal has gone missing in New York City and bodies are showing up in the wake of demon-led ritual killings that Patrick recognizes all too easily fro
Published September 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about A Ferry of Bones & Gold, please sign up.
Hailey Turner Hi Santy. I'm so sorry I never saw this come through! December was crazy all around for me. All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound 2) will release on…moreHi Santy. I'm so sorry I never saw this come through! December was crazy all around for me. All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound 2) will release on March 19, 2019.(less)

Wendy
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue rating stars

It is no secret that I am a big fan of Hailey Turner's "Metahuman" series. I fell deeply in love with the characters from that series, especially Kyle and Alexei...they were awesome. So when I found out she was releasing a new "Urban Fantasy" series, I was all in !!

Now I have got to be honest here and confess, that I don't exactly know, which of the books I have read, fall under the "Urban Fantasy" genre. I just know, that I love reading PNR and that I have definitely read my fair share of those
Simone
***4.5 Stars***
Magic, willed out from his tainted soul, spun itself into a pale, glowing blue sphere no bigger than a golf ball. It nestled against the curve of his hand, mostly hidden from sight.

It was one of those phone calls. One of those phone calls you are bound and determined to ignore when you are already halfway out the door and mentally in full-blown vacation-mode, attuned to weeks of umbrella-decorated cocktails, a nice tan and loads of hot sex. But when Special Agent Patrick Co
Deborah
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 21st - 23rd March 2019

Figured I’d best do a re-read before starting the new one.

Original review.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I’d irritate myself with my corniness I’d refer to this book as spellbinding.

Usually it takes me a chapter or two to settle into a book. To get a feel for it and see if I’m going to like it. This hooked me immediately. Which was surprising in a way because this is a first in series and it comes with a ton of information. And I do mean a ton. We have a world where
Cadiva
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Whisper it quietly but I think Hailey's written another amazing pair of lovers who might have just kicked Alexei and Sean to the curb in my list of favourites (but please don't let the Russian pyrotechnic know okay?!).

I am absolutely head over heels for Patrick and Jono, both individually and as a partnership. Patrick is every thing I love in a flawed hero, both metaphorically and literally as his magic has been damaged beyond repair when first we meet him.

Jono is a British boy, and every time h
Dia
It's my first book by this author and the first book in this series. I enjoyed the suspense and the world building even if paranormal is not my favorite. Now I really want to try The Metahumans series by this author. For some reason I postponed it.

I'll give this one 4 stars because it was intense and full of action. But it was exhausting to read. For me. As much as I loved the couple, there are SO many secondary characters. My head was spinning! And I am sorry to say this but I think it could ha
Len Evans Jr
Just perfection from start to finish!

Awesome book populated by wonderfully flawed characters with the perfect balance of action and romance! Full review tomorrow! Highly recommend it to all that love sexy paranormal stories!
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Although I am a big fan of Hailey Turner's Metahuman Files series, I was slow to pick up A Ferry of Bones & Gold. I haven't read an urban fantasy novel in years, and I worried that I would miss the romance. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it.

Well, I enjoyed it. So much that while I still missed the romance, I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. A Ferry of Bones & Gold drew me in. Here's how:

*A compelling story that unfolds amid even more compelling world-building. As former comba
Bev
I was so torn with this book. See, by the half way mark it really wasn't doing it for me and I set it aside. In fact, I returned it through KU. Then it started to niggle at me and wouldn't get out my thoughts so I downloaded it again and .... I'm glad I did.

Once the real action kicked it up a notch and the big reveals about Patrick's past started to flow I was hooked. But this needed to come way, way earlier in the story and this is where it lost its shine for me. The author's imagination and w
~Volha~
All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine.

Socrates

Ms Turner has done it again. She brought new world and new magic into our lives. I would venture a guess that this is the best urban fantasy novel I've read to date. It is spectacular! I loved every page! Among humans and immortals, werewolves and vampires, mages and witches we find ourselves at the epicenter of an epic battle between good and evil. How much are people willing to sacrifice to become o
Jewel
4.5 Stars

This book was so up my tree, I can't even tell ya. Loved it!

----------------------------------------------------
Woot!!! Thank you Impatient Elf!!!! I can't WAIT to read this! <3
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

Whew. What a story.

It's no secret that I positively adored Turner's Metahuman Files series, Jamie and Kyle especially but I eventually came to love Alexei and Sean almost just as much.

For that, it was a tough act to follow because I was expecting a lot - couldn't help it.

For the most part, this story held up for what I've come to expect from this author, who is definitely an auto-buy for me.

A lot of the good and awesome in this story was a little lost in the setting up of this worl
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc, a-novel-take, lgbtq
Sometimes I forget that I kind of do like Urban Fantasy and not just Paranormal Romance. I think somewhere in my head I think too much Fantasy and not enough Romance just won’t work for me.

Sometimes I’m just silly.

The beginning of this book took some getting used to, so many freaking acronyms guys, but once I got my groove I couldn’t put this down.

Hailey’s writing is superb.

The world building was amazing, so many supernaturals! I can’t wait to see where else we get to go in this world and man, t
fleurette
A Ferry of Bones & Gold

I’ve started this book completely unaware that this author is already familiar to me. I have read first two books in Metahuman Files series and really liked them. But I have to admit that I enjoy this book even more.

Maybe it’s because it is more on the urban fantasy side than science fiction and I’m generally more keen of this genre. And even though the world and idea of magic presented in Soulbound series is not tremendously innovative, it is still different enough from the other concepts I k
Eugenia
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dang!

Well, this is my third go at writing this review before my Kindle deleted everything. (I miss my iPad!).

Let’s leave it at a few critical observations:
1. It’s Urban Fantasy.
2. Gods, magical creatures, magic users and normal humans roam our contemporary world.
3. Hell and it’s allies are seeking to take over topside.
4. The gods are in this fight and still use humans/creatures/magic users as their pawns.
5. Hermes is a punk rocker.
6. The military has magic combat branches as do the intellig
Alisa
I have a lot of feelings about this book. Most of them good. Some, not so much.

First the good. I loved the concept of the story and it was really good to see an actual urban fantasy that also includes a m/m romance. I loved Patrick and Jono and thought they were great together. They had a ton of chemistry and were smoking hot in the smexy scenes. Their relationship is fated mates kind of thing which I love. It's one of my favorite tropes so that was a giant win for me. I also really liked all of
Santy
Perfection. Sheer Perfection.

It had great Characterisation, seamless melding of various pantheons the world over(including some from my west African folklore ) and nonstop badassery and action from start to finish. Among all of these, she still managed to weave in the beginning of an unconventional sort of romance between our baggage-carrying imperfect MCs.

Hailey rocked the hell out of this book and I For one, cannot wait for the next book!
Parvathy
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5+++ Stars

What a phenomenal and mind blowing book that takes you on a journey that will leave you rivetingly spell-bound...!!

A ferry of Gold & Bones is the first book in the new Urban Fantasy series. Being a lover of the genre this book pushed all my right buttons. The star of this book is hands down the story and the world the story is set in. The author has done a tremendous job in building a world that is fascinating and completely mind-blowing. I loved the way, myths and legends have
Lisazj1
4.5 stars. I loved every bit of this, the world, the characters, everything. It was like it was written to appeal specially to me and it damn sure did. I can’t wait for more of this!
Kathleen
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This story was quite the rollicking urban fantasy with mages, witches, sorcerers, demons, vampires, werewolves and many gods from the Greek pantheon. And a few Norse entities thrown in for good measure. A physically and emotionally scarred veteran battle mage finds himself in league with civilians to defend against a devastating evil intending to level the playing field that is Manhattan. A fantastic combination of magic, 21st century weaponry, and interfering gods sets the stage for an
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
4.5 Mythologie & Magic Stars✨

And, vampires, werecreatures....and of course the gods (in this book )causing mischief as usual, that would be

Hades
Persephone
Zeus
Hera
And Of course Hermus.

My God, this book was sooooooo good.

I have a soft place in my heart for reading about the gods and and even bigger one when you add good witches, dragons and sorcerers, this book had them all. And, I loved that.

So why not the full 5 stars? I had a SUPER small irritating niggle.
(view spoiler)
~nikki the recovering book addict
Wow!!

Magic. Greek gods. Norse gods. Vampires. Werewolves. Hell hounds. Mages. Witches. All that and a whole lot more are found in this story. It’s been a race to the finish from the very beginning with gruesome murders, clever manipulation of mythological gods and creatures. I mean, I’m just blown away!

I have to admit the Metahuman Files by this author did NOT appeal to me but this? This was absolutely perfect!

I like that Patrick is the hero that has to save the day but he’s so very flawed, comp
Joyfully Jay
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay, kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

So today Kris and Jay are here doing a Buddy Review of A Ferry of Bones and Gold by Hailey Turner. After the summary, check out our chat about the book!

Read Jay’s and Kris' review in its entirety here.

Nicole
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a nice surprise this book was!

It may have taken me a while to get into it in the first couple of pages. I thought that by adding so many things in this book, Greek Gods, Werecreatures, Vampires, it would be very confusing but the author did such a good job with all of them that it didn’t feel overwhelming at all!

So, Greek mythology. I am glad our mythology brings such inspiration to authors, and this book was just so good. We only saw a few of the Greek gods, so I hope the others appear as
Natalia
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read March 2019
_________________
I absolutely loved this! It was right up my alley and I can't wait for the next book. I hope it will come soon, as I don't really want to leave this world!
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
This book ticks off so many PNR checks.
✓Shifters
✓Mages and Witches
✓ Vampires
✓ Gods
✓ Demons
I think the only thing it was missing was angels, but I imagine since we're talking about Greek Gods, they wouldn't be a good fit.

Patrick, our MC, is quite the grumpy mage.
Having left the military, Mage Corps division, due to unfortunate circumstances with himself and his magic, he joins a government branch of Paranomal Investigators. Instead of getting the wonderful vacation he had planned,he gets calle
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4.5 Stars

Very detailed world building and a lot of interesting characters (with names and species I have to keep track of!), this is almost 400 pages! Exhausting to get through, but interesting throughout ~ kept my interest. Book 2, Soulbound, is due out March 2019 ~ I won't have to wait too long.

Patrick Collins is one tortured character but we love and I look forward to the next books to see if we can flesh out Jono a bit more.

A very detailed Index of Characters, Species and Locations
Kendra T
Wow. Talk about a hell of a story! It was so well written, and I was captivated throughout the whole thing. I started off the book feeling sorry for Patrick being pulled from vacation, and as I learned more about him I really loved him as a character. He was so strong and flawed and awesome. There's a start of a relationship with Jono that has a HFN ending, but luckily there is more for them to come and I am looking forward to it.

I am voluntarily reviewing an ARC provided by LesCourt Author Serv
Amy Aislin
I love a good urban fantasy novel, and while A Ferry of Bones & Gold was good, it's a hard book to review because I liked certain parts of it, and didn't like others.

What I liked:

-Patrick. He was a complex character, very three-dimensional, and he made a great way into the story. I liked his take-no-shit attitude and his insistence on doing things his way.
-Magic. Anything with magic and I'm like *drool* *grabby hands*
-The world Hailey Turner created by bringing magic, shifters, vampires, and
Wendy F
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
What a great UF novel from an author I’ve never read before! A Ferry of Bones & Gold was everything I look for in Urban Fantasy. It has a well outlined and plotted Fantasy setting, including the paranormal creatures, and it had two very interesting characters for us to root for. I’m also partial to UF about Gods and Goddesses. It’s pretty much a sure fire way to get me to pick up a book.

In A Ferry of Bones & Gold the plot centers around a mage named Patrick, and a demon case he’s working
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thank you for the gift, Slutty elf!!
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Tried & True (THIRDS, #10)
  • Dim Sum Asylum
  • Burn the Sky (Wytch Kings, #1)
  • Cold Moon (Moon, #3)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • Be Fairy Game (Starfig Investigations, #2)
  • The Finder
Hailey Turner is big city girl who spoils her cats rotten and has a demanding day job that she loves, but not as much as she loves writing. She’s been writing since she was a young child and enjoys reading almost as much as creating a new story. Hailey loves stories with lots of action, gritty relationships, and an eventual HEA that satisfies the heart.

You can keep up with Hailey's future project

Soulbound (2 books)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound #2)
“Hindsight was always so fucking perfect and so fucking useless.” 1 likes