Start by marking “How the Dukes Stole Christmas” as Want to Read:
How the Dukes Stole Christmas

How the Dukes Stole Christmas

Christmas magic is in the air... From the ballrooms of London, to abandoned Scottish castles, to the snowy streets of Gilded Age New York, four bestselling authors whip up some unforgettable romance...with a little help from some enchanted shortbread.

Published October 15th 2018

To ask other readers questions about How the Dukes Stole Christmas, please sign up.
Tessa Dare Yes! All four are new, never published before.

Sarah MacLean
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Three gorgeous novellas from three of my favorite writers...and a fourth from me!

Merry merry!
Sophia Triad
The main reason I got this book was “Meet Me in Mayfair" by Tessa Dare. And it was as good as I thought it would be.

Louisa meets at a ball the man who owns her family home.
Duke of Thorndale only wants to sell all his London properties and go back to Yorkshire. He hates London and he believes that all the Londoners lie all the time and they want to take advantage of him.

Louisa is desperate. Duke does not know who she is, but maybe she can enthral him
convince him not to sell her home, so that her
Pamela
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars, rounded up due primarily to my obsession for everything Tessa Dare writes :)

Argh, I hate being the lone grinch who's less than enamored with this anthology, but I just wasn't nearly as engaged and enchanted as I'd hoped. I tend to love novellas since I often lack the patience for the drawn out miscommunications and repetitiveness that longer romance novels bring us. Honestly, though, I found the last two of these four stories tedious even as novellas and can't imagine finishing them i
Desi
Oct 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Rated thusly for the utter tripe that is “Meet Me in Mayfair" by Tessa Dare. Why launch the book with this ridiculousness? Approaching men at balls with no introduction. Leaving an establishment in male company. Bare assed sex in a coach. Wandering about London at night on foot.

A grown man of that era not knowing a woman can’t go into gentlemen’s clubs.

An adult male willingly traipsing about Mayfair with a Virgin he picked up at a ball on some stupid sightseeing tour. For hours. Until 5am. Why
Aoi
Nov 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Terribly, terribly anachronistic..

We have dukes triasping around London on foot with young girls past midnight.

And the who's who of society assembling into the kitchen(!!) to watch the hostess bake cookies at a dinner party.

And a duke getting buck naked and sharing body head to prevent the frozen heroine from hypothermia. All the while as his servants walk in on them , merrily without knocking.

These novellas were a series of jaw dropping WTF moments that made it really hard for me to "get in
Debby "Piene Raven"
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: authors-c-d
So, I got my Christmas spirit going a bit early this year with my reads. I do have to say that I did enjoy all but the last novella on the Dukes. It was a delightful read and I must say that Sarah MacLean's novel was the height of them all. Recommend this read and as a summation of them all, I am rating this as a 3.5 rounded to 4-Stars.

4-Stars
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
To be fair, I didn't read the whole thing. It's $5.99 and I have a high bar for $5.99. I can get very good books for a lot less, so unless this was a sure thing, I'm not spending the $$.

I read the sample. Which is like 7-8 chapters of Tessa Dare's story in the anthology. Since she's the author I like best in the group, if her story can't hook me, there's little hope for the rest of the book.

And unfortunately, it didn't hook me.

1. Most anthologies are too rushed. I like depth in a book, and thes
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
★★★.5

"The Duke of Christmas Present" by Sarah MacLean
★★★★★

"Heiress Alone" by Sophie Jordan
★★★
would've enjoyed it more if i wasn't told that the main character wasn't like other women every two pages tbh

"Christmas in Central Park" by Joanna Shupe
★★★
Gi's Spot Reviews
5 'The Shortbread Talisman' Stars<

What an absolutely and utterly BRILLIANT Christmasy HR anthology this book was!
From start to finish How The Dukes Stole was undoubtable perfection, with each of the four tales enchanting me to no end and making me crave even more of these enrapturing characters and their stories!

Complete and wholehearted holiday warm and fuzzy feelings that made me feel as though I was living the holidays right along with them! True Christmas in October feels that I recomme
Under the Covers Book Blog
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

It's that time of year.  The weather is changing and I'm ready to get into the holiday spirit!  One of my favorite books to read this time are holiday books and historical romances are the understated choice.  The small town contemporaries and cowboys get all the glitz and glamour (I blame Hallmark) but there's something endearing and sweet about a
K.
Trigger warnings: nothing that springs to mind!

So here's the deal: if you're looking for historical accuracy, you won't get it in any of these stories. Like, AT ALL. They're riddled with anachronisms and things that would literally never happen. So if you want a historical romance that contains anything even remotely resembling authenticity, you should probably just nope your way to the exit right now.

But. If you're looking for a Christmas-themed dose of cheesy romance? This is pretty stinking g
Jacqueline's Reads
4 Stars … I’m a little late, but I really enjoyed this.

I love holiday Audio books, it just gets you into the spirit. So I totally forgot I had this and I’m a bit late since the holidays are over, but I really enjoyed this Anthology. I don’t usually read Anthologies, but audio Anthologies are the way to go!

The narrator is pretty popular and she does a lot of the historical romance novels. Her voice is a bit deep for my taste, but she acts really well and I like her voice transitions so overall,
Monique
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love historical romance, this might be the year that you get the present you’ve always wished for. Four superstar authors have combined their talents to craft this fabulous anthology, which will have you experiencing a gamut of emotions in a real historical Christmas atmosphere. Also, the novellas can be read in any order, as they are entirely independent from one another.

Tessa Dare’ MEET ME IN MAYFAIR is delightfully romantic and sweet as a duke who is more of a Yorkshire country boy an
Avid Booker
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Want To Read Cute Christmas Stories
Tessa's book was too short. In meaning, I would have loved to see a little more of these characters especially since they were complete opposites. She was a city girl and he was a country boy. I really loved everything about them except, (view spoiler). I was really attracted to James for some reason. He gave off a vibe. Lumbersexual? lol It was cute. Fast. 3.5 stars And So Is Love by Kate Bush

MacLean's story gave me the feels. STRO
Maud
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alone
Meet Me in Mayfair by Tessa Dare - 4.5 stars
I started reading historical romance last year and I do know about Tessa Dare but had never read anything by her. I know that she is a well known and loved author in this genre and I have been intrigued to try something of her. So when this anthology started with her story it was really a perfect chance for me. Short stories always seem so much harder to write than a full length novel but with this one I enjoyed the writing style, the characters and th
Stacee
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018

A fun round up of novellas from some of my favorites. I will say that I loved one more than the others and that I did struggle with liking the characters of another. As much as I wanted to be swept away with this grouping, sadly it wasn’t as amazing as I was expecting. Cute, yes.

Overall, it was a quick and fun holiday read.
herdys
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I only enjoyed Tessa's story. The rest I couldn't get into, no matter what. The last one I almost didn't even finish. The reason were the dukes of course. They were jerks to their heroines and since this is a short story we didn't have time for them to grovel properly. I also didn't feel the Xmas spirit since it's basically October lol
Blodeuedd Finland
"Meet Me in Mayfair" by Tessa Dare
Louisa Ward needs a Christmas miracle. Unless she catches a wealthy husband at the ball tonight, the horrid, heartless Duke of Thorndale will evict her family from their beloved Mayfair home. But when her friend begs to switch dance cards, Louisa finds herself waltzing with the enemy: the horrid, heartless--and unexpectedly handsome--Thorndale himself. Now the duke's holding her future in his hands...and he's not letting go.

This takes place under a rather magica
Timitra
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meet Me In Mayfair by Tessa Dare- Rated 4.5 Stars

This story was quite humorous. I loved the witty banter between the main characters. Although the romance was whirlwind I felt the connection between Louisa and James. The was it was done was very believable, there was no doubt that they would fall for each other or that they were well matched.

The Duke Of Christmas Present by Sarah MacLean- Rated 4 Stars

I enjoyed this story about a broody, grumpy hero and the heroine who wouldn't allow him to wall
JenReadsRomance
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love holiday novellas. I think they are the perfect way to get a quick jolt of that Christmas spirit. And I think this is a strong collection, overall. I can DEFINITELY see myself returning to this collection every year. A very fun read.

Meet Me In Mayfair - 3 stars
To be honest, I think this was the weakest one of the 4. But whatever, it's Tessa Dare. It's still cute. I just think that after the low moment, we needed to see more from the hero/ heroine and instead it just fast forwards to the re
Teresa
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
My rating for this book is primarily for the Sarah MacLean story. It was the perfect story. Childhood friends and second chance perfection. I could have read even more about those two characters. It was a highlight.

The rest suffered from people who hardly knew each other and so everything at the end felt too quick. Tessa's was cute and fun and my second favorite, but the wrap up was all a bit too quick. Sophie's had it's moments and was enjoyable enough. I loved the Scottish hero and setting. Sa
Bonnie-Anne Carmichael (Love Triangles Are Fucking Stupid.)
I really enjoyed all of these stories! That hardly ever happens when I read a collection of stories.

Meet Me In Mayfair - 3/5 Stars

The Duke Of Christmas Present - 3/5 Stars

Heiress Alone - 4/5 Stars

Christmas In Central Park - 4/5 Stars
Rose Blue
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Combined 4.5 stars as reviewed at Roses Are Blue: https://wp.me/p3QRh4-Ox

Four outstanding authors have teamed up for an amazing collection of Christmas novellas, three set in England, and one in America. Each story includes a mention of some shortbread cookies, which are rumored to have special capabilities, though they taste like dirt. There’s also a clever salute to various Christmas movies or novels, such as Home Alone, A Christmas Carol, etc. This collection is top notch – entertaining, and
JoRead
For starters, DUKES! I don’t care how many make-believe dukes have been created, I’ll read them for as long as they keep writing them. Secondly, Christmas! I’ll admit that I prefer to read dark, scary, paranormal stories during the month of October, but c’mon, who can say no to Christmas stories, specially when they are written by some of your favorite authors and they all come together in one pretty package!
And that actually brings me to say that thirdly, it’s freaking Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLea
Romazing Reader
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh so romantic!
Each story in this historical romance anthology is so so good! A couple of the authors are new to me, and I loved experiencing their heartwarming book-worlds ... this is a must get for historical romance readers!
Laura the Highland Hussy
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review posted on Got Fiction?

Each story in this anthology is from a different time, with a Scottish shortbread recipe following the action. While no dates are given,Tessa Dare's feels Regency, Sarah MacLean's feels mid-1800s, Sophie Jordan's is Victorian, and Joanna Shupe's is around the turn of the century. I love this concept. I love the connection between each story, and I love how the shortbread recipe follows everyone. It's an old book of Scottish Folklore, and it tastes absolutely awful in
AnnMarie
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How the Dukes Stole Christmas is an anthology written by authors Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, Sophie Jordan and Joanna Shupe.

I loved each and every one of the stories, they filled me with the joys of Christmas despite it only being October when I read it. Such beautiful romances with loveable characters and such palpable emotions growing between the heroes and heroines. Passion abounds, and love must win out. Each book had a perfect ending which left me smiling ear to ear.

"Meet Me in Mayfair" by T
Lady Day
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This review contains spoilers

Christmas In Central Park
Overall, I found Joanna Shupe's story most entertaining. It takes place during America's Gilded Age. "A time of glitter on the surface, but corruption underneath" according to Mark Twain. The working-class newspaper magnate, the heroine, and the secondary characters were relatable.

Meet Me In Mayfair
I giggled once or twice with Tessa Dare's meet-cute.

The Duke Of Christmas Present
Sarah MacLean's had my head spinning from being subjected to diff
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
3 stars. Those 3 stars are only for the short story The Duke of Christmas Present by Sarah MacLean. That was the best story in this collection and the only one that was worth reading honestly. The rest were boring with unlikable Dukes and I just didn't care for them. All of the stories are well written but the other ones besides MacLeans story were underwhelming and lacked heart. It wasn't a horrible read because I found some new HR authors to read so I'm very excited about that.
  • A Christmas to Remember (The Lost Lords of Pembrook #2.5)
  • At the Christmas Wedding
  • Christmas Brides
  • 'Tis the Season: Regency Yuletide Short Stories
  • Christmas in Duke Street
  • An Heiress for All Seasons (The Debutante Files, #1.5)
  • A Match Made in Mistletoe
  • What Happens Under the Mistletoe
  • Blazing Bedtime Stories (Once Upon A Bite / My, What A Big...You Have! / Sexily Ever After)
  • All I Want for Christmas Is a Duke
  • A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
  • Five Golden Rings: A Christmas Collection
  • Her Every Wish (The Worth Saga #1.5)
  • Dressed to Kiss
  • Regency Christmas Proposals
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Midsummer Delights: A Short Story Collection
  • Gift-Wrapped Governess: Christmas at Blackhaven Castle / Governess to Christmas Bride / Duchess by Christmas
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen
“If anyone or anything frightens you, shout.” “Shout what?” He made an aimless gesture. “‘Help,’ I suppose. Or ‘Fire’ or ‘Murder.’ In a pinch, ‘James’ would suffice.” She nodded. “‘Come to me, you magnificent stag,’ it is.” 3 likes
“Louisa was left to wonder how grown men found the smallest words the most difficult ones to say. “Thanks,” “please,” “sorry”… From the way their tongues tripped over the syllables, you’d think those words were Latin names for species of exotic fungi. When it came to “love,” some of them lost the power of speech altogether.” 3 likes