Start by marking “Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese” as Want to Read:
Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese

Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  920 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
You might think that after ten seasons on the Peabody Award-winning TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000, Mike Nelson has seen enough bad movies for one lifetime. As the guys at Cahiers du Cinema say, au contraire! Hollywood's spigot of stupidity shows no sign of slowing, and cheesy films continue to flood our multiplexes and gunk up our home entertainment centers at an ...more
Published June 20th 2000 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese

Derek
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
It occurs that I shouldn't have read these short, unrelated essays in large batches. But I have a Reading Challenge to make and time's a-wasting.

What you have here are essays that make you ask, "Face/Off? Wasn't that a really stupid movie that had prisoners wearing magnet boots?" ((view spoiler)
Anastasia Renee
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I guess I was expecting more. I read about this book from a website that I like, and was told how hilarious it was. Being a fan of MST3K, I thought that for sure I'd enjoy it. I think perhaps I am too young or perhaps this book is too dated (or both). Some of the one liners are definitely funny, but there isn't enough structure to the "reviews" (assuming you'd call them that) and by the end of the book I was reading very quickly, practically skimming but still wanting to make sure I wasn't missi ...more
Emily
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: #teammike
Mike Nelson is a meanie.

That's the only conclusion I can draw from his choice to fill up a book with commentary on dozens of completely forgettable unimportant flicks. Though, to be fair, he's pretty funny on Dragonheart.

This guy, who takes a potshot at Alec Baldwin for starring on Knot's Landing, wishes he was as funny as Tina Fey's Jack Donaghy. He slams Martin Sheen's career in a book published during The West Wing's first season.

But, meh, it's just a throwaway comedy title, I should really
Craig Williams
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
What with MST3K having returned into the social milieu, the hype made me nostalgic for the books written by the MST3K luminaries of yesteryear. At the time of these books' release, these were the last bastions of the comedic stylings of your Michael J. Nelsons or your Kevin Murphys. That is, before Rifftrax came along and became a thing.

I had always been a fan of Nelson's prose in the first place, since readings his entries in The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide book. He has a very dry, self-dep
Leon Fredericks
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this compulsively in college when MST3K withdraw would really start to itch. It is the first step in what would be an evolution for Mike. This was little more than a collection of MST3K jokes put into essay form, aimed at the popular media of the day. His next effort, "Mind Over Matters," was a broader collection of humorous stories and opinion pieces. Finally, there was "Death Rat," which was a fully-formed novel. Shortly thereafter, Mike turned his attention to "Rifftrax," w ...more
David
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mike Nelson the MST3K/Rifftrax commentator and Mike Nelson the movie reviewer are two somewhat different styles of humor, yet they spring from the same source. MST3K is a little more cozy than this book, which tends to be a little dryer and a slight bit more cynical in its humor style. Nonetheless, this book has you laughing out loud real quickly. For those people who are disappointed by the overmarketed, ill-plotted state of blockbuster Hollywood cinema today, this book is a one-way laugh trip ...more
Lee
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mike Nelson of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" notoriety is the anti-Ebert. How many times have you, as an avid film buff (or even as just somebody who likes movies) been rifling through the latest gauntlet of movie reviews of the new flick you were interested in, only to get the impression that the critic giving the review just wants to show off that he has a film and literature degree from an Ivy-League college you're not smart enough or rich enough for? Well, dear friends, Mike Nelson is not h ...more
Coralie
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
One of the books I finished recently was "Movie Megacheese" by Mike Nelson. I loved it! Nelson reviews "Cheesy Movies", using "Road House" with Patrick Swayze as a guide, as in ----Was it as cheesy as Road House, cheesier, or not as cheesy? Nelson was hilarious as he makes fun of action films, chick flix, movie families, science fiction and "wild thangs".

Here's a quote: "Certainly in many films, the motivation is simply money, yet given the failure rate of robbery or extortion schemes that invo
Elizabeth
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I want to preface this review with the fact that I love Mike Nelson, and my dream is that someday he and Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu will reunite for the most amazing humor project ever. I bought this book 12-13 years ago. I was enamored with it then because I love all things MST3K. But...

This book suffers from what a lot of pop culture/movie/TV-based books do. Relevance.

A lot of the essays are dated and don't have the timeless quality of essay from writers like Bill Bryson. I am reading Br
Rick
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Talk about an unexpected pleasure! I’m not a big fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and when I first got a copy of Mike Nelson’s Movie Megacheese, I was nonplussed. That was until I opened the book up. Any one that calls the film Batman & Robin “the single worst thing we as human beings have ever produced in recorded history” is A-OK in my book. Nelson goes on to ravage many movies in this thoroughly entertaining movie guide. Though you have to wonder about a man who calls Road House “the s ...more
Patrick
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2003
Former "MST3K" star Nelson defines good movies by looking at how successfully the filmmakers were able to achieve what they set out to do with the movie. He theorizes that the creative forced behind the Patrick Swayze epic, "Roadhouse," intended it to be the worst movie ever, and by realizing that goal, they in effect made the greatest film of all time. Using that logic, he skewers bad 1997-ish movies like "Anaconda," "Batman and Robin," and "Lost in Space." Dated, maybe, but his laugh-out-loud ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor, movies
This book made me want to watch some really bad movies, but I restrained myself. Although, I may have to seek out Road House as a particularly fine example of a movie that's so bad it's great!
I learned to never watch Lost in Space, but I already knew that, as it stars Matt LeBlanc, a sure sign of a stinker. I think SF is especially vulnerable to bad movie syndrome.
As always, Mike Nelson is amazing at making bad entertainment entertaining!
Will Byrnes
Oct 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Nelson was one of the primaries in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 show and has a strange affection, or maybe it is disaffection for film. The book consists of many 2-4 page articles about specific movies or related topics that catch his fancy. For instance there is a section in which he lampoons acting families. Although the material is occasionally laugh out loud funny, it is mostly not. It is just Nelson being snide, mean and negative. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
Marianna Beadles
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Mike Nelson's reviews are read for their own entertaining value, rather than as a deciding factor on whether or not to see any of these movies. Like with MST3K, you are looking to him for his impression of the movie, which is always far more clever than the movie itself (especially the hollywood stinkers Mike writes about). Read with a dictionary by your side, though; Mike has a vocabulary that would make Nathaniel Hawthorne crimson with jealousy.
Anne
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, this really brought me back to the days when my devastatingly awesome mastery of 90s pop culture trivia was actually relevant. Fellow MST3K/Rifftrax fans will love this compendium of wisecracking reviews of completely riff-worthy films. Michael J. Nelson is totally in his element here. Nobody does it better.
Chuckell
Jan 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
Dispatches from the dawn of the DVD era. Bitterly brutal essays on movies you'd happily forgotten you saw ten or twelve years ago--if you're you're like me you sat through every one of these stinkers--or TV shows the memories of which have entirely faded away. The movies are dated but the writing is gut-bustingly funny.
Amy
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was ok
Reviews of crappy movies, by the guy from MST3K. It was okay. I bought it hoping for recommendations of "good" B-movies (I guess because of the MST connection), but it wasn't that - it's about movies that are just BAD, like Judge Dredd and Steven Seagall movies. The author tries a little too hard to be funny and many of his jokes kind of fall flat.
Jessica
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, nonfiction
A collection of essays on film by the head writer and host of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and now, Rifftrax. I love Mike Nelson's writing, and this was delightful. He rips into bad movies and bad actors, but along the way he shows a clear love of film and being entertained, and this is also the only book that I know of that explains the differences between the Baldwin brothers.
Krisa Stroot
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Freaking hilarious. I've read it more times than are likely healthy and it still makes me laugh out loud and repeat phrases like a trained parrot. I would sincerely love to sit down with mike some weekend and watch some movies.
Nate
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a nice return to the odd period between the end of MST3K and the dawn of RiffTrax. Mike Nelson does what he's always done best: skewered bad movies and made me laugh in the process. This book is a fun read.
Megan
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Funny essays, similar to his MST3K style of joking - some of the movies I don't remember well, so the jokes weren't as amusing as they might have been. This was published in 2000. So, for instance, my memory of The Saint, which I saw once over a decade ago, was rusty.
Jordan West
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mike Nelson is nothing less than an ontological anomaly; he is a conservative with a sense of humor. Even so, how could someone who reportedly reads the National Review cover to cover produce the likes of MST3K and this?
Anthony
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the book that gave me the phrase "flaming pile of squirrel vomit" and for that I'll be forever grateful. I am a big fan of Mike Nelson's humor, and this book made me laugh even though the movies it reviews were all old by the time I read it.
Derek
Mar 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sadly, I found much of this book to be terrible and unfunny, which is not how I normally feel about Mike Nelson's work. I appreciate his 'hyuck-hyuck, nudge-nudge' brand of humor, but oftentimes it felt forced and flat.
Andrew
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've had this book for several years and constantly flip through it. I can't recommend it enough: it would be great for a long airplane ride/road trip, as I bet you'll be reading funny quotes out loud the whole time.
Renee
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: MST3k fans
Recommended to Renee by: Jeff Durkin
Shelves: humor
Although I found some parts of this book laugh-out-loud funny, others were only mildly amusing and some fell flat. And, he trashed one of my fave movies, Event Horizon. Come on. That said, this is a good book for the metro - keeps things light! :)
Jarad Coats
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Sometimes very funny, but other times it just came off trolling. Loved Deathrat. This one, eh.
Beth
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was really funny, I think I wrote about a chapter in a Communication Criticism class.
Linda
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Laughed my ass off the entire time I read this. Wish he'd write more like this.
Barry
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fun collection of movie reviews from MST3K's Mike Nelson. Excellent bathroom reader type book.
  • The Mystery Science Theater 3000: Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
  • A Year at the Movies: One Man's Filmgoing Odyssey
  • I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie
  • The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • The Gallery of Regrettable Food
  • Inventory: 16 Films Featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls, 10 Great Songs Nearly Ruined by Saxophone, and 100 More Obsessively Specific Pop-Culture Lists
  • Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs
  • Film Noir Reader
  • The Psychotronic Video Guide To Film
  • My Year of Flops: The A.V. Club Presents One Man's Journey Deep into the Heart of Cinematic Failure
  • The Tenacity of the Cockroach: Conversations with Entertainment's Most Enduring Outsiders
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion
  • Dark Carnival: The Secret World of Tod Browning, Hollywood's Master of the Macabre
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
  • Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
Michael J. Nelson is an actor, writer, director, and musician who served as head writer for ten seasons, and on-air host for five seasons, of the television series Mystery Science Theater 3000. He was also the composer of most of MST3K's original music, and is coauthor of The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide (1996).
More about Michael J. Nelson

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99