Start by marking “The Last True Poets of the Sea” as Want to Read:
The Last True Poets of the Sea

The Last True Poets of the Sea

The Larkin family isn't just lucky—they persevere. At least that's what Violet and her younger brother, Sam, were always told. When the Lyric sank off the coast of Maine, their great-great-great-grandmother didn't drown like the rest of the passengers. No, Fidelia swam to shore, fell in love, and founded Lyric, Maine, the town Violet and Sam returned to every summer.

But wr
Published October 1st 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Last True Poets of the Sea, please sign up.
Sandy Yes, there are romantic relationships and a lot of graphic talk about sex. Fingering and fisting are explicitly mentioned. Violet talks about feeling …moreYes, there are romantic relationships and a lot of graphic talk about sex. Fingering and fisting are explicitly mentioned. Violet talks about feeling wet and wondering if Liv is too and the characters make out and eventually have off the page sex. Violet also references lots of wild hookups she had before coming to Maine. (less)
Sasha Zatz the author is a woman loving woman and so is the main character, so I would say yes. violet is bisexual and Julia drake's sexuality is not public (whi…morethe author is a woman loving woman and so is the main character, so I would say yes. violet is bisexual and Julia drake's sexuality is not public (which it shouldn't have to be) and I would definitely recommend this as an ownvoices book!(less)

Start your review of The Last True Poets of the Sea
chai ♡
find this review & others on my blog

Reading The Last Poets of the Sea felt comforting in a way that defies words. It felt like a hug, if a hug were a book. It lingered in the air, like summer thunder, long after I turned the last page, beaming calmly into all my darkest corners, and the thought of it still warms me, like a candle flame held safe against the whipping sea wind.

Violet Larkin’s family lived in a state where the ground always seemed to be slipping from beneath their feet, wit
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, queer
I'm gonna sound so cheesy, but this book rooted itself into my heart and I will never, ever let it go. From the friendships to the sibling bonds to the queerness, this was just everything I've ever wanted in a book and more. It’s set in a small seaside town in Maine and was like a mix of Summer of Salt, Wild Blue Wonder, and everything Ashley Herring Blake has ever written and I JUST LOVED IT SO MUCH AND MY HEART IS SO FUCKING FULL. Brb while I go pre-order my brother a copy and cry bc FEELINGS ...more
Madeline Miller
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book--beautiful, smart, witty, with a deeply thoughtful heart. And inspired by Twelfth Night! Love it.
Larry H
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy hell, I loved this book so much.

Violet and Sam Larkin’s great-great-great-grandmother Fidelia survived a shipwreck off the coast of Maine. Her arrival in the town of Lyric, and her subsequent marriage, are the stuff of legend. And Fidelia’s story has always made the family believe they’re survivors.

"I didn't even have a driver's license, but I was an expert in the art of catastrophe."

Yet as Violet becomes wilder, experimenting with drugs and sex, Sam’s emotional problems become more serious
Amy Imogene Reads
This was one of the most amazing YA contemporary novels that I have ever read.

Writing: ★★★★★
Humor: ★★★★★
Heartstrings: ★★★★★

The Last True Poets of the Sea hit me hard, knocked me out, and left me in the dust of its emotional magnificence. Like the coastal Maine, aquatic version of Jandy Nelson's The Sky is Everywhere, I couldn't stop the feelings. Talk about an unputdownable one-day read.

Violet Larkin grew up in a family of shipwrecks. Her great-great grandmother Fidelia was the sole survivor
Cristina Monica
3.5 stars.

Character-driven stories are tricky. It may take time to recognize them for what they are. In the beginning, we all expect some kind of plotline to unfurl. But slowly we realize that the story is the protagonists and that we better love them, otherwise we might just put the book down right away.

Thankfully, I enjoyed Violet’s voice. She is a three-dimensional character through and through. She’s not easy to understand at times, but she does try to open up to the new friends she makes on
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Disney Hyperion for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

[10/01/2019] - DNF at pg. 127. I am temporarily DNF-ing this. When the audio comes out, I'll try that and see if it snags my attention more than the physical copy. I chose to rate this four stars because I want to convey that this book is not bad. I'm just not feeling it right now. I'll try again later.

----------

p
pr
pro
profo
profou
megs_bookrack
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
🧡💛💚💙💜

Violet Larkin's life has begun to spiral out of control. Even she realizes she isn't making the best choices, but she can't stop.

Urges hit her and the NYC nights grow longer, the drinking more ample and the sex more risky.

When her younger brother, Sam, attempts to take his own life, Violet even acts out at the hospital.

The situation is overwhelming and scary, but despite the serious nature of the circumstances, when those stirrings hit, she acts on them.

Her parents catch her with a much o
Renee Godding
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read for O.W.L.s Magical Readathon 2020, Defence Against the Dark Arts. Grindylow; a book with a coastal setting.

5/5 stars

A hypothesis:
Either my 2020-favourites list is going to be 60% books I read in April, or this year might just end up being the best readingyear I've ever had. Either one is fine with me.
Fact is that I've adored almost everything I've read sofar this month, and this was no different. Incredible story, beautifully written, pulled on my heartstrings and hit all of my favou
Elyse  Walters
Characters are so wonderful- you’ll wish to share a slice of blackberry pie with them!

“One puzzle piece actually has ‘four’ different ways to connect, not just two”.

Gorgeously written...with love, humor, intelligence, and humanity.
Hollis
This is such a lovely, and rather hard-hitting, story (and from a debut no less!) that it feels a little strange to not rave about it and slap it with a high rating. But while there was so much good, so much of it moving, some of it also left me a little unmoved, too.

I became a bad sister and a bad daughter in an hour; an exile in just under two. By comparison, the Titanic sunk in two hours, forty minutes. Pretty impressive, to have sunk to the bottom even faster than the twentieth century's gre
Nev
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqiap, 2019
I don’t know if I’ll go as far to say that this is a perfect book overall, but it definitely was a perfect book for me. Complicated family relationships, mental illness, queer girls, and a summer spent at a seaside town. There are loving friendships, a wonderful f/f relationship, and a main character who doesn’t always say or do the right thing.

This just checked so many boxes for things I enjoy in books. The writing was beautiful, the relationships felt authentic, and the plot was interesting.
Dahlia
This book is freaking stunning in the most swallow-you-whole kind of way. In comp terms, I'd say it's The Weight of the Stars meets How to Make a Wish, so you know it's got complicated family, gorgeous Sapphic romance, deep secrets, a brilliant mind's obsession, a well-drawn coastal setting, grieving themes, and found family on lock, and it also weaves in backstory in all these surprising little glimpses. So good. ...more
Kat
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
This was a book that is very character driven. I really enjoyed the author’s voice, and Violet was a fun main character to spend time with. Violet grew up in NYC and perhaps grew up a bit too quickly working on Broadway. Her brother Sam attempts suicide, and she’s sent to stay with her uncle for the summer in coastal Maine, where their family legend says that their great-great grandmother was shipwrecked and managed to survive, getting back to shore and founding the town. Mystery. Romance. Trage ...more
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
life has been weird recently, i got caught in a storm yesterday and now this book has water damage, but we are still here. 🌱
TL
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was really good, no criticisms:)
Little gem of a book I didn't expect to love like I do.
Tears and smiles in this one.
Giulia
"In that moment, we were the last true poets of the sea, and what mattered more than anything else was our quest."

TW: panic attacks, anxiety, mention of attempted suicide, mention of eating disorder, alcohol, drugs, mention of depression, mention of OCD

Unpopular Opinion Time 🐸☕️

This did not go as swimmingly as anticipated (ah, see what I did here?) and I feel cheated on.
Many things and aspects about The Last True Poets of the Sea did not convince me, and I was not expecting that after having re
Emma
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

I went into this book with very high expectations and even though I was not disappointed, I wasn't blown away either. I don't know why, but I expected a lot more than what I found. This doesn't absolutely mean that this is a bad book,I just didn't click with it as much as I was hoping to.

What I liked the most about this story is how the author managed all the relationships
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
BLOG | TWITTER

When I first saw The Last True Poets of the Sea, I found myself hooked on the premise--I'd read the first few chapters and was drawn into it. It sounded like the kind of story I would like, and in many ways, I was right. The Last True Poets of the Sea is an deep exploration of family, friendship, mental illness, and survival.

Our main character is Violet, who's been sent to live with her uncle in the town of Lyric, Maine, after a rough year for her family. When we first meet her, Vi
Anna Luce
DNF 10%

Reasons I did not finish this book:

1) Slut shaming ahoy!

2) Eyeliner, shorts, and long hair: bad. No makeup, dad's jeans, big shirts, shaved head: good.

3) Our protagonist is one TALL girl, so yes, a lot of tallgirlproblems (*ahem* she is not like other girls)

4) Her parents...? Laughably unbelievable.

5) Hot guy alert within pages of our character swearing off love
madeline ♡
this book makes me excited to read again, especially to explore more books with sapphic characters. i loved the friendship group/ensemble cast that had started to form, and liv/violet gives me such warm fuzzies. i love them, and i love that they fell for each other instead of orion (no offense to him bc he's great in his own way). the last true poets of the sea checked off so many boxes for me, and i love it. i knew when i saw that madeline miller blurbed it + loved it, i would adore this book t ...more
Elizabeth
This was just genuine perfection. The characters, the friend group, the romance the writing, the story, the discussion about family, mental illness, sexuality *chef's kiss*. I love everything about this and it's one of my new absolute favorite books of all time. This is criminally underrated and everyone should read this because it's so perfect.
Alaina
Okay, so, for most of this book - I was there flowing along with everything. I liked it but if I'm being honest.. it did hit some snags along the way. The Last True Poets of the Sea started off on a pretty good bang. I was hooked right from the very first page and all I wanted to know was Violet a bit more.

Yet, after meeting her.. she just kind of seems lost in the world. That is until she ends up in Lyric which was a town founded by her great-great-great grandmother. So she's basically town roy
Enne (they/he)
5 stars

Our motley crew consisted of two childhood friends, two lovers, two musical soul mates, two long-lost siblings, an amateur psychic, and a really good friend . The memory of a brother and a best friend, of a great-great-great-grandmother and a great-great-great-grandfather. There were secrets between us, and stories we didnt fully understand. But in the water our wires werent tangled. They were knit.

tw for mentions of suicide both in the book and in this review

I don't even know where t
Katie.dorny
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq
A wonderful family saga that hit all the highs and lows required to tell the story beautifully without cheapening any facets in order to fit the typical ya mould.

Our main protagonist is Violet who is spending a summer with her Uncle after her parents effectively banish her from New York. Also, her great great grandmother is the local celebrity and founder of the town she is exiled to.

What follows is a heavy hitting and at times dark novel that approaches and discusses multiple topics with ease.
Acqua
The Last True Poets of the Sea is a contemporary story about the importance of communication. Having read so many stories that only use miscommunication as a plot device, it's so refreshing to find something that truly tackles how difficult it can be to open up to others, even when you need it; how easy it is to not understand each other inside a family.

Violet's family has a history of mental illness. Her younger brother Sam has been hospitalized after a suicide attempt, and she has been sent to
Ashley Blake
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely perfect.
jasmine
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book is so godam underrated likee it gives me so many nostalgic feels and i love the f/f relationship and da friend group and violet is so relatable and the writing is so hilarious and i love books set at the sea and it was just so comforting and nostalgic to read. it's one of those books you love that i didnt ugly cry over, but will remain in my heart and will most likely be reread in the future.
Arielle Walker
Utterly delightful.

(Should I just stick to two word reviews? It's all my brain seems to be doing at the moment...)

But: super relatable/wonderful characters, gorgeously complex-but-wonderful relationships (romantic, platonic, familial - each are given equal priority), important things around mental health and sexuality and distance are dealt with in a super non-preachy, natural way - one of the nicest reads I've had in a while.

Also that title is glorious, and you know I'll read any reworking of a
Tinichix (nicole)
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once in a while I take on a YA book. I enjoyed this one. I would say that I tend to rate them differently though. Had this been an adult novel it would not have translated to a 4 star for me. I try to take into consideration who the writing is meant for, who the target audience is exactly. "The Last True Poets of the Sea" is a coming of age story about a teenage New York girl name Violet who is sent to a small town in Maine for the summer after her brothers suicide attempt and her own escapades ...more

• The Falling in Love Montage
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Late to the Party
  • Felix Ever After
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Little Weirds
  • Saturday
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Strange Birds: A Field Guide to Ruffling Feathers
  • The Henna Wars
  • Amelia Westlake
  • Red Skies Falling (Skybound, #2)
  • War Girls (War Girls, #1)
  • The Tenth Girl
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • The Black Mage
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Ordinary Hazards

Articles featuring this book

Love an inside scoop? So do we! That's why we're big fans of BookExpo America, the largest annual book trade fair in the United States, where...
“I leave behind a wake of splintered wood and broken buildings and scared, know-nothing boys.” 4 likes
“This was a new station with music so lovely, so frightening, so foreign, I hadn’t even known to search for its signal.” 4 likes