Start by marking “Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)” as Want to Read:
Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)

Limited Wish

(Impossible Times #2)

One choice. Two possible timelines. And a world hanging in the balance.

It’s the summer of 1986 and reluctant prodigy Nick Hayes is a student at Cambridge University, working with world-renowned mathematician Professor Halligan. He just wants to be a regular student, but regular isn’t really an option for a boy-genius cancer survivor who’s already dabbled in time travel.

Whe

Published May 28th 2019 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Limited Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Limited Wish

Start your review of Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)
Mark Lawrence
Nov 09, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
OUT TODAY!

Book 2 in the Impossible Times trilogy. All three books due in 2019!

My Maine Coon, Wobble, is being a clock for you.
 Teodora
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm intrigued by a book that it's making me feel even dumber than I am. Not that I complain or anything.
Robin Hobb
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How much did I like One Word Kill? Enough that I actually paid real money to get a copy of Limited Wish. And yes, the third one Dispel Illusion has been ordered.

I love puzzles. And most books that involve time travel are something of a puzzle for me, as I handle the story and turn it this way and that looking for the flaw in the tale. But, just as happened with One Word Kill, I could not find a place to dig in my fingernails and say, "There it is. The mistake in the plot."

But before I got to the
Mary S. R.
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adorers of time travel, paradoxes, D&D; people who want to challenge themselves
Recommended to Mary by: the suffocating need for more Mark Lawrence
5×10ⁿ STARS! This book will make you go round and round and round in a never-ending loop of paradox...and fall down dead; a head-twister is what I like to call it :)

“Time heals all wounds.” Sam offered the old cliché.
“Time causes a lot of them, too.”

J.D. Salinger wrote, “What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't hap
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
More time travel craziness mixed with a little less D&D and a little more paradox. Final review (a joint review with Kat Hooper at FanLit) first posted on Fantasy Literature:

As Limited Wish begins, Nick Hayes, the 16-year-old math genius that we met in One Word Kill (you need to read it first) is being pursued by a pack of drunken Cambridge students bent on beating him up. It’s 1986 and Nick has just been enrolled at Cambridge, thanks to the notice of Professor Halligan, a brilliant mathematici
preoccupiedbybooks
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
What a wild ride! 'Limited Wish' was full of adventure, mystery and adrenaline!

'Limited Wish' hooked me in hard and fast from the very first page, in fact I think I even enjoyed it more than its predecessor, 'One Word Kill,' which I also loved. Nick's story continued, and not content with battling cancer, and being a maths genius, he also started Cambridge University at the tender age of 16! That's not even the strangest thing that happened! This book took me on a whirlwind adventure, involving
Bradley
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-shelf, sci-fi
A perfectly awesome time-travel tale served up on a platter of fun D&D mirroring, future-knowledge angst, time-ghosts, paradox, and mathematical hijinx that does more than skirt the edges of a heist novel.

Again.

But don't worry! While this may have a lot of the same elements of the first book in broad strokes, the story ramps up with some rather awesome snags that aren't just romantic. And even the other kinds of encounter-mirroring is fully explained in the recesses of the paradox. :) Very cool
Khurram
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The paradox

A great book, and great continuation of the story. I am not a great fan of time travel books, but I think this is one of the stories that got things right.

Since the last story a lit has happened. Nick is looking to make his mark on the world, but also looking to fulfill his destiny and mission from the last book. However now all his relationships are different. Can knowing you future bring it about or make it harder and less likely.

A great story, very emotional in parts hilarious in
Hamad
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“Hope,’ said Demus, ‘is an essential tool in any torturer’s kit bag. Hope is the thing that we will torture ourselves with after he’s knocked off and gone home for the night.”

I have been exposed to more D&D since I read book 1 and I am more familiar with it now. Growing up D&D was never a thing where I lived but the beauty in this book is that it is still a great one even if you don’t know much about it.

The writing is great! I actually can
Mel (Epic Reading)
I’m not sure what it was but I never got into this one like I did book one. I only didn’t DNF because many of my Goodreads buddies liked it (and I trust them) and because it’s Mark Lawrence and due to some unknown loyalty I felt I should finish it.
Adam
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Limited Wish, book two of the Impossible Times trilogy, is a highly-enjoyable and heady sci-fi adventure with heavy emotional beats. Although this book takes a bit longer than One Word Kill to have its full scope be revealed, the mind-bending paths that we’re being led through becomes a twisty and challenging puzzle that deepens as the story progresses. Exploring the implications of the characters' actions and their ripple effects through various timelines is as impressive as it is complex. Yet ...more
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
I want to thank NetGalley for sending me and advanced digital copy of this book.

In this second chapter to the Impossible Times trilogy, we follow the characters of the previous book going through more math, more paradoxes and more nerdiness. The plot unfolds from where the first one had stopped, answering many questions but also asking for more...

I was pleasantly surprised by this book, and by this whole series in general. Although I don't necessary like new young adult books, I love a good sci-
Micperk
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure Mark Lawrence wrote these books just to let us know that he has figured out time traveling or is very close to doing so. I was nervous coming into this book because I loved the first book so much I was worried this one might not live up to it. I'm glad to say that my fear was unfounded and this book was a great installment.

The story picks up pretty much right where the other one left off, within a couple of pages I found myself drawn back into this world and eating up the pages.
Sara
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Following on from One Word Kill, we find Nick at 16, studying at Cambridge university. After fighting cancer, a crazy psychopath with a penchant for machetes, and first love, he’s hoping to settle down and sort out the small matter of inventing time travel.

I actually enjoyed this more than the first novel. The pacing is much snappier, and with just Nick as the central character, and less interaction from his friends, I felt I could
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/06/15/...

I’m loving the quick release schedule for these books, because it meant I was able to jump right into Limited Wish almost immediately after finishing One Word Kill and I was definitely looking forward to continuing the story of Nick Hayes and his friends. Following the events of book one, our protagonist has beaten his diagnosis of cancer and is now enrolled in the prestigious Mathematics program at Cambridge, following in
Dennis
Part two of the Impossible Times trilogy. And I liked this even better than the first one.

Probably because, with its cross-referencing of events between book one and two, this reminded me a lot of Back to the Future, which is still my favorite film trilogy ever. Just like the movies this gets more complicated for the protagonists as events in different timelines are influencing each other more and more, but remains easy to follow and enjoy for the reader, because Mark Lawrence avoids to make the
Jon Adams
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think it was possible but Mr. Lawrence topped the first book. The weaving of timelines is done to perfection. As is always the case, his prose is second to none. Bring on book three!

I received this via Netgalley and I can't wait for the hardcover to come in so I can add it to my collection.
Trish
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a truly cool trilogy.

We meet Nick. Again. And again. And then we meet two Nicks. And some supposed relation(s) of his. After the quite tragic events from book 1, the D&D group is one man boy short. And while I missed the gang as they were, I understood the decision. I therefore went all the more "aaawww" when (view spoiler).
So we're a few months after the events from book
Carrie
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Note: In the interest of getting caught up on my humongous pile of reviews that need writing while I’m fighting with a half broken keyboard I’ve decided to combine the first two books of this series together. I actually read book one quite a while ago but wasn’t quite blown away so I had been putting off book two but finally made it through.

One Word Kill and Limited Wish by Mark Lawrence are the first two books of the Impossible Times series. This one is a young adult science fiction fantasy ser
Anton
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to Publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read the ARC ahead of the release!

Limited Wish is a fine story, it pulls you in from the first page and keeps you on the edge of your seat as a good thriller should. It is a perfect follow-up to One Word Kill and shares all the strengths with the Book 1.

In fact, it shares so much that it reminded me of the problem with Hangover and Hangover II movies. Both are great and deliver the laughs - but it is essentially the same movie. Diffe
Petros Triantafyllou
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mind-bending masterpiece that serves as a love letter to all fans of Time Travel.

When he crosses paths with a mysterious yet curiously familiar girl, Nick discovers that creases have appeared in th
Will.J.R. Gwynne
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Limited Wish is a fantastic sequel to One Word Kill in Mark Lawrence’s Impossible Times trilogy.

“I was elbow-deep in my ultimate comfort read. The Lord of the Rings”

I mean, can you get cooler than that?

Limited Wish is similar to Stranger Things in that it is set in the 80s and the main cast are a bunch of geeks. Which I love! But everything else is new and original.

After the shocking events of One Word Kill, Nick has a goal in mind. But he has a small problem. The world is trying to kill him. A
Lou
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I didn't for one second believe that Mark Lawrence could surpass the standard of the first book but he has! This second novel in the Impossible Times series is a fantastic and fiercely compelling tale of time travel, gaming, maths, paradoxes, action and excitement. The cast happens to be exquisitely drawn with complex, multi-dimensional personalities and the plot well constructed with tension aplenty. We learn so much more about Nick in this instalment as this was a lot more introspective ...more
Josh
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun time travel story which picks up where One Word Kill left off. For the tabletop gamers among the readers, the D&D element is still prominent and adds a flavor of fantasy to the sci-fi, however the Stranger Things feel has been taken down a notch with this story focusing more on Nick, rather than the group as a whole. Overall a fun form of escapism which opens the door to endless possibility for future stories. ...more
Hollis
LIMITED WISH was both a little bit deja vue, though slightly out of alignment from the first book, and also.. way more timey wimey wibbly wobbly than book one. We have converging timelines, paradoxes, choices, divergences.. honestly I didn't understand half of it. At least half of it.

But everything that intrigued me from book one was still present, there was even more D&D, and things fell into place that allowed for some events from book one to come about. Yes, it's confusing, I think that's sor
Zitong Ren
Ok this was good, but like why am I so interested in this D&D game that the characters are playing in the book. Like yes they take up a big chunk of the book which is a complaint since the book is already quite short but at the same time it’s also oddly interesting? ...more
FanFiAddict
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis

One choice. Two possible timelines. And a world hanging in the balance.

T.O. Munro
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Review of an ARC of Limited Wish first appeared on The Fantasy-Hive website in March 2019

Limited Wish picks up the story of Impossible Times six months after we left the teenage Nick Hayes in One Word Kill. Bewildered, traumatised and suffering from self-imposed partial amnesia, Nick still has the drive to do great things in the world of mathematics. That imperative takes him to the home of mathematics, Cambridge University, alma mater of Sir Isaac Newton and Stephen Hawking. More specifica
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 "Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world" Stars

Limited Wish wasn’t quite as enjoyable to me as One Word Kill but it still carries some of the same magic I found in the first book. There is a paradox as two possible time lines are too close together and our Nick seems to be in both of them. He is the key to fixing things but since he is also the source of the paradox the universe is trying to kill him.

Nick and company are great again. I really like ho
Paul E. Morph
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn’t enjoy this one quite as much as the first book but I still really, really liked it. I loved the fact that the consequences of the first book were felt to their fullest extent and not just hand waved away for the sake of fan service. I loved the way Nick’s status as a statistical outlier was written. Just... genius stuff.

I wasn’t quite so keen on the way the established laws of time travel (set up in book one) were violated so often in this volume but I trust the author enough to have it

• A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Randomize
  • Summer Frost
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars, #1)
  • The Last Conversation
  • Ark
  • Siege and Sacrifice (Numina #3)
  • Never Die

http://eepurl.com/cimnK1 #Prizes #FreeContent

I'm even on Tumblr!

Pintrest!

& Instagram

Impossible Times (3 books)
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times #1)
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)