Start by marking “100 Ways to Improve Your Writing (Updated): Proven Professional Techniques for Writing with Style and Power” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  736 ratings  ·  88 reviews
The classic text on writing well, now refreshed and updated.

This is the one guide that anyone who writes--whether student, businessperson, or professional writer--should keep on his or her desk. Filled with professional tips and a wealth of instructive examples, 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing can help solve any writing problem.

In this compact, easy-to-use volume you'll f
Published May 28th 2019 by Berkley Books (first published October 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing (Updated), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing (Updated)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing (Updated): Proven Professional Techniques for Writing with Style and Power
Josh Butler
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paired together with Stephen King's On Writing and Strunk and White's The Elements of Style, you can't really do a whole lot better when it comes to writing advice. The common sense advice appearing in this book, as well as in the other two books, is fundamental to good writing. But it's all simple. It's all easy to understand, and chances are you've heard a lot of this stuff before via other sources. What makes this book unique is its quick-reference style. You can read a short clip of text, an ...more
Priscilla
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
If I had to pick only one book on writing, this would be it.
Jordan
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, helpful book to improve your writing. It has a lot of tips, suggestions, and advice. I felt like it was geared toward more of the academic side than the creative side, but they are related. The only reason I deducted a star is because I knew a lot of it already (I’ve read numerous books on writing and am getting a MFA in it). If you’re new to writing, I’d recommend this book!
Christian Jespersen
I don't know why, but I love books like these.
The Elements of Style was terrific, and if there are more books like these, please do recommend them to me.

Gary Provost has divided the book into eleven different areas, which you can improve your writing. Everything from style, grammar, puntion and everything in between.

Sentencens like "You must know what job you need done, before you can pick the tools to do it" and "Only teenagers are justified in believing that each and every statement one utter
Robin
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, linguistics
Even though Gary Provost wrote 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing ‘way back in 1985, his tips are still relevant today. The tips are short and illustrated with examples, demonstrating good writing while explaining good writing. While the internet outdates such ideas as owning a dictionary and thesaurus; good grammar and spelling, ruthless editing, creating a strong beginning, and using powerful verbs and nouns will always be essential to good writing.

True to the claim on the cover, this book funct
Chris Wermeskerch
Good book for writers to keep on hand to glance at periodically and remind yourself how to write better.
Matthew Bunk
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable book on the craft of writing.

Yes. Slightly dated; it was written 30+ years ago. And yet, it's still so good.

The first line of the book is, "This book will teach you how to write better ransom notes."

That's gold.

If you're a full time writer, read it.
If you only write emails, read it.
If you don't write anything but have to formulate sentences to order at McDonald's ever once in a while, read it.
Fahim
Aug 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are the highlights that I'll review now and then:

Research
Before you write, track down the bits of information you are going to need.

Choose a time and place
It’s getting started that I abhor.
Can you lock the door? Turn off the phone? You will get more writing done in an undisturbed hour than you would in a dozen ten-minute spurts.

Do writing exercise
Just as you need to get your body warmed up to run, you need a little writing exercise before starting a writing project. A writing exercise can
Newton Nitro
100 Ways to Improve Your Writing | Signet, 1985, 175 páginas | Lido de 05.06.16 a 06.06.16

A1OaLC-42FL
SINOPSE
Um guia para todos aqueles que escrevem, escrito por Gary Provost

RESENHA
Curtinho e direto, muito recomendado em blogs gringos para escritores. É um daqueles livros que fala o que você já sabe mas de uma maneira diferente, e no caso do Gary, muito engraçada!

TRECHOS
Todo escritor sofre para começar uma sessão de escrita, o difícil é começar (achei bem legal o Gary falar isso, eu achei que era
Andrew
I've thumbed through this book often over the past few years so I feel confident in saying I've "read it" but just haven't done so cover to cover, in order.

The book provides lots of ideas on improving your writing. All the 100 ways are able to be read in a few minutes at a time. This gives a student the ability to read one or two items and immediately put them to use on whatever they happen to be writing. What's also nice is that the majority of these ideas can be used on any kind of writing; f
Cher Han (Andy) Lau
The introduction tells everything: "This book will teach you how to write better ransom notes".

This book is small and lightweight but did not miss out any heavyweight content. The English used in the book are beautiful yet easily understandable for an ESL student like myself. All the tips are practical and helpful. However, like the author said, they are tips, advice and not laws, so shouldn't be followed strictly.

You can start using every tips almost instantly, and you feel like you are recha
Holly Davis
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, concise and yet comprehensive read on how to improve your writing, including tips on self-editing, common grammar mistakes, developing your style, and even overcoming writer's block. Although I knew a lot of what was presented here, it was a great refresher for me and will be an easy book to reference in the future.
Peregrine 12
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful book - if you use it. Concise, too.
Andrea Huelsenbeck
I bought this book because writing instructor extraordinaire Margie Lawson recommended it.
My edition was printed in 1985, and the book examples used in 100 Ways are old. (Fortunately, so am I, and I remember the buzz those books earned at the time.) It was also in the baby days of personal computers, when very few writers owned one, and most everyone wrote their rough drafts by hand and their better drafts on a typewriter.
Gary Provost wrote articles for Writers Digest and 22 books, fiction and n
John Mark
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tijana
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The amount of essays I have yet to write on my college journey prompted me to pick this book up.

For the most part, I did enjoy reading it - the writing style was good, the chapters were short, concise and straight to the point. With each and every tip, he would also show the reader the correct and the incorrect way to do it, so you can see it first hand how you're supposed to apply the tip in your own writing.

But when it comes to the advice? That's where the book, in my opinion, falls short. E
rixx
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
**100 Ways to Improve Your Writing** by *Gary Provost* is from 1985 and has aged remarkably well. It's a set of rules, short and to the point. Some advice is dated and not relevant any longer – a couple of hints on how to acquire information and in which format to submit your work, mostly. Apart from that, the book talks about how to prepare for writing, how to structure texts, and goes down to details of grammar and punctuation. All of these things are well-structured, to the point, and come wi ...more
Jan Šimak
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful and interesting book that helps you to improve your writing. It doesn't matter if you write books, articles, essays, emails or just to-do notes, this is the book you want.
The author offers many suggestions, advice and insights not only for writing, but also for creativity, writer's block, grammar and more.
However, I'd welcome more elaboration on some issues that the author dealt with. Some of the topics were just too short without any detailed explanation and lacking examples.
O
Santosh
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
Nice 100 tips.
Tips are, short, sweet, and covering one aspect of writing.
Few tips are assembled together as one chapter or one topic.
These topics focuses on essential aspects of any writer like
1. Overcoming writers block.
2. Develop a style
3. Strong beginnings
4. Common grammar and punctuation errors
5. Editing tips

Essentially useful for anyone.

I am academic and focused more on academic writing. Though the book says nothing like it anywhere. Still I found it pretty useful. And I am going to g
Tomas Vik
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of Gary’s tips is “Make yourself likeable”. And does he make a good job of it. The book describes the rules of both style and grammar in a way that’s easy to digest and down to earth. A much larger portion of the book is spent on style-related advice. That’s a good thing when tools like Grammarly and Hemingway app provide advanced grammar and composition checks.

The key takeaway from the book is the word Simplicity. Don’t write something in two words when one will do the job. Don’t add a sent
Dona McCormack
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Instagram Review: www.instagram.com/p/B_S6En5AIib/

I read a lot of books on writing and most of those books cover how to write fiction in general. Books that can market themselves as such, but having something a little special to offer, a sub-topic or alternative organization, often sell better than their "average" counterparts--as long as they actually live up to their promise. This book--Gary Provost's 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing-- creates a brilliant little nugget of marketing in creating
Kevin Oliver
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This should be every writer’s craft bible. It should be on your desk or next to your computer and constantly revisited. Books by Lamott and King are great for inspiration and reminders, but this will actually help improve your craft. If you are a beginning writer, you need Provost, Zinsser’s “On Writing Well,“ and Clark’s ”50 Writing Tools.” Goldberg has a middle-ground book, part-memoir part-craft, that is also helpful.
Anthony Jauneaud
Some might find this book enlightening. Most will be a bit confused by the short advice backed with zero evidence apart from a couple of well-selected quotes. It's not bad and I'm certainly not the target, but this book mixes all kinds of writing, giving wrong ideas about what is WRITING.

I am a fervent believer in the toolbox way of learning instead of this long list of well-meaning, very stale tips.
Maya
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I finally sat down to read the book I finished it in one sitting, that is how easy it was to read. It was full of common sense information that you might think you know but you really don’t or at least need to focus on. The book also had some good sections that I will be referring back too from time to time.
Rita Mantone
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Getting so much out of this book

I am getting ready to send in my 1st magazine article. 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing has given me the tools to write confidently. I will refer to this book often. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to write and doesn’t know where to start. It’s a great review for seasoned writers as well.
RubieRandoMess
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple and very easy to read. It includes basic guidelines to start up your writing plus you can always go back to the rule whenever you need to review and try it again. You can also apply the book by making the 100 ways a habit project when writing.
Yulia
Aug 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The book is a little bit old-fashioned. There are some pretty good tips on writing, but the author mainly focuses on "pleasing the readers" and doesn't stress the importance of creating something that arise deep thoughts or "revolutions" in readers' minds.
Leslie M.
Some tips are a bit outdated, but there are lots of helpful hints, overall, which could be useful to writers of all levels.
Braeden
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect writing reference.
Andrew Wells
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
College Teacher

I have taught writing at the college level for over 8 years, and this book gets to the heart of good working better than almost any other.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Disappearance
  • She Came to Stay
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone
  • The Case that Shook India: The Verdict That Led to the Emergency
  • Modern Technical Writing: An Introduction to Software Documentation
  • মুসলমানীর গল্প
  • সদর ও অন্দর
  • মাল্যদান
  • শুভদৃষ্টি

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...
“This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It's like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety. Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with the energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals - sounds that say listen to this, it is important.” 23 likes
“Hear how the use of the wrong word wakes you from your reading spell.” 6 likes