Start by marking “Things You Need” as Want to Read:
Things You Need

Things You Need

The things we want are so very rarely the things we need.

Clifton Heights, a modest Adirondack town, offers many unique attractions. Arcane Delights sells both paperbacks and hard-to-find limited editions. The Skylark Diner serves the best home-cooked meals around, with friendly service and a smile. Every August, Mr. Jingo’s County Fair visits, to the delight of children an
Published September 28th 2018 by Crystal Lake Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Things You Need, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things You Need

Kimberly
THINGS YOU NEED, by Kevin Lucia, is another novel centered in his fictional town of Clifton Heights. As with several of his other books that showcase this distinctive location, this has a central theme that is broken up by smaller stories, all having something to do with the main thread.

". . . there was something off in Clifton Heights."

When a salesman makes a stop in this town, he discovers the innocuous storefront of "Handy's". Walking inside for the first time, a sense of something "differe
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THINGS YOU NEED is one of the best books I've read this year. Full of heart, character, and Twilight Zone creepiness, you have to add THINGS YOU NEED to your bookshelf. Believe that title.

Clifton Heights is a strange town in upstate New York. The locals seem quiet content with the quirks and dark corners, and should you travel through, you may wind up sticking around.

This collection of connected tales from author, Kevin Lucia, is full of wonderful storytelling. With each and every set of these s
Jon Recluse
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A traveling salesman who is closer to the end of his road than he realizes finds himself in Clifton Heights, a quiet little town that teeters uneasily between Norman Rockwell quaint....and someplace else. Where shadows whisper and familiar streets lead to places that aren't on any map.

Weary in heart and soul, on the verge of suicide, he's compelled to drive the night streets, seeking something he can't name.
What he finds is Handy's Pawn and Thrift. A cluttered little shop with the sign "We Have
Frank Errington
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review copy

Kevin Lucia has a place he calls home in much of his work. Like Stephen King has Castle Rock and Gary A. Braunbeck has Cedar Hill, Lucia has Clifton Heights, a small town in the Adirondacks where strange is more or less the norm.

That's not where the similarities to King end. If you're at all familiar with Stephen's work you can't help but notice a similarity of titles between Needful Things and Things You Need.

Things You Need, at its core, is a collection of stories set in and around
Robert Dunbar
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
A wonderful, beautifully written collection. Very disturbing. And with a lot of heart.
Mommacat
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up
Darrell Grizzle
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Things You Need: The very title is an homage to Needful Things by Stephen King, and so is the book itself. (It’s also an homage to the Lovecraft mythos.) The stories here center on a spooky thrift shop and an otherworldly furniture store in Clifton Heights, the locale of Lucia’s previous books. Things You Need is a collection of eight previously-published short stories, but they’re woven together in a new framing story that makes the book read like a novel. Kevin Lucia is a master of making us f ...more
John J Questore
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
As is my custom, I have to thank Joe Mynhardt and Crystal Lake Publishing for the opportunity to receive an ARC of this gem in exchange for an honest review.

First, up until now, I had never heard of Kevin Lucia. In fact, I had no idea what this book was about - but knowing the caliber of work that comes out of Crystal Lake Publishing, I had no problem accepting the offer.

Boy am I glad I did.

One of my favorite types of movies are the “stories within a story”. Like “Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors”
Debbi Smith
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. You need to read it.
GracieKat
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was halfway expecting Things You Need to be somewhat of a copy of Stephen King's Needful Things. But it wasn't, in so many good ways. Things You Need is a collection of short stories with a framing story that serves as a wrap-around, framing device and epilogue. Each story tells the story behind one of the objects in the shop that our unnamed narrator stumbles into.

I have to admit, though, that Things You Need sounded a bit different in the synopsis. The town wasn't quite as fully fleshed out
Autumn Is Azathoth
Review: THINGS YOU NEED by Kevin Lucia

That old proverbial expression, “what you want is not what you need”? Well, Kevin Lucia's spectacular new thematic collection is both what you want and what you need. Certainly that proved true for this reviewer. I've admired Mr. Lucia's fictional community of Clifton Heights (both admired, enjoyed, and feared) for quite some time, and I was ecstatic to return to its “loving” arms and welcoming smile.

Mr. Lucia's horror is never Splatterpunk. It is neither un
Yvonne Davies
I was first introduced to this author’s work when I read Devourer of Souls, since then I have purchased quite a few of his work books.
Things You Need is the 4th in Clifton Heights series but as they are all stand alone, you do not have to read them in order. As you may know is Clifton Heights on the surface is a regular town but scratch the surface and there is something sinister in the town. The main story tells the tale of a travelling salesman who travels around selling magazine subscription
Thomas Joyce
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book opens with the unnamed narrator telling his story in first person, recounting his previous career as a salesman for magazine subscriptions, who specialises in visiting high schools across the country and convincing the students to sell subscriptions to raise money for their schools. He’s good at it, too. His advertising degree is put to good use. But it’s left him in something of a rut. Moving from town to town, delivering his shtick to the students before moving onto a bar in a neighbo ...more
Stephanie
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy collections and anthologies but with so many available these days, it takes something special for a new publication to rise above the herd and Lucia has achieved that. By cleverly intertwining the individual stories with the thread of the tale of a traveling salesman, he effectively creates a story within a story which ends with a twist I did not see coming.

Johnny is a sales rep, disillusioned with his life, despairing of his future, ready to turn his .38 on himself; however, before he c
David Chamberlain
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished "Things You Need" yesterday and as with all of the Clifton Heights books, I can highly recommend it. The horror is certainly there and is genuinely scary (glad we have lots of lights in the house and no dark corners!), but what I found particularly engaging was the way the stories were not always just horror, but also warm and emotional. Quite a trick to pull that off in a "horror" book, but it make the horror even more visceral. Super well done!
Lynne Ritchie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you loved the old Twilight Zone show...

WOW what a good book! If you are a fan of the original Twilight Zone show, this is a must-read! Good mix of characters and I like the way the author tells their stories through their eyes. Excellent mix of creepy and touching, and so compelling I didn't experience the usual annoyance that I do when reading some modern fiction. Never a dull moment!
Matt
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great collection

Excellent collection of linked short stories told through the histories of objects in a pawn shop. Enjoyed it tremendously. Highly recommended.
Dr. Fiona M. Clements-Russell
I discovered the weirdest little town of Clifton Heights, when I first visited another shop there - I read 'Through A Mirror, Darkly', and was immediately hooked when I browsed through Arcane Delights. My second visit here, has been, if anything, even more enjoyable - if that's the right way to describe being frightened out of your wits, and totally immersed in a wonderfully strange collection of tales that you literally can't put down!

I was tempted back after my first visit (who am I kidding?!
Lillian (Inky Insanity)

I received an advanced review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review—however, I bought a physical copy of the book soon after from the author at a local comic con. I love everything I have read by Kevin Lucia so far, and Things You Need did not disappoint.

The book opens from the point of view of a depressed traveling salesman who ends up in the strange town of Clifton Heights. He walks into Handy’s Pawn and Thrift, where he discovers the rest of the stories in one interesti
Hilliard Emmanuel McDonald
Ron
Sep 01, 2019
Zakk Madness
Oct 13, 2018
Kevin Lucia is the Reviews Editor for Cemetery Dance Magazine. His column Revelations is featured on Cemetery Dance Online. His short fiction has appeared in several anthologies, most recently with Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker, Bentley Little, Peter Straub and Robert McCammon.

His first short story collection, Things Slip Through was published November 2013, followed by Devourer of Souls in June 2014,