Start by marking “Uncomfortable Labels: My Life as a Gay Autistic Trans Woman” as Want to Read:
Uncomfortable Labels: My Life as a Gay Autistic Trans Woman

Uncomfortable Labels: My Life as a Gay Autistic Trans Woman

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  20 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Unknown Binding, 208 pages
Expected publication: July 1st 2019 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Uncomfortable Labels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncomfortable Labels

really liked it 4.00  ·

Sky
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not a type of book I would have gone out and searched for myself. Simply because I would have never known something like this existed, or that it would be important for someone who is not all of these things (a gay autistic trans woman) to read.
But wow, am I glad this story seemed to find me through netgalley. This is a powerful story, and one I think that will be important for many many people to read. Spoiler alert: if you are even mildly thinking of picking up this book.. Do it. You
Susanne  Bell
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is for anyone struggling with their identity with gender rules placed at birth by society. Young people who are most vulnerable to commit suicide because of feeling isolated this book will help you through those times. Clinicians who need a first person perspective of being transgender and having autism this book is a great read. This book is for parents who are trying to understand their autistic children the struggles they may face to be better prepared to assist them when your child ...more
Hectaizani
Uncomfortable Labels is the story of Laura Kate Dale. The title is a reference to the labels that have been used to describe Dale throughout her life. Some of those labels are by choice, and some were thrust upon her whether she wanted them or not.

Laura was born with autism in a male presenting body. She tried and tried to reconcile her outward presentation with her inner feelings to no avail. She thought perhaps it was her autism causing the disconnect until finally, she realized that she was t
Adjectiveplusnoun
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
NB- I received a free ARC copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, for a longer version (or to read more from me) visit my blog .

Before I really delve into the review, I have to say I love the cover. Such a simple, yet eloquent metaphor with an aesthetically pleasing execution. I can practically feel the itchiness of the tag on my neck looking at it. I don’t read much non-fiction these days, but I’m glad I made an exception for this book. If you want an in-depth, unflinc
Katie Guttenberg
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, school
I’d like to start with the agknowlegment that because this book is a memoir, it is automatically #OwnVoices. The book overall is good. I like how Laura makes connections between being autistic and being trans. Her audience is most likely less informed(?). IDK how to word it so that it’s not ableist, but basically, she wrote it with informing and teaching people both about autism and about what it means to be trans. Also, I totally understand that language and labels are a personal choice, and I ...more
Kt
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copies
“Still, nobody tells me anymore that my eyelashes should belong to somebody else. I like that I’m now allowed to enjoy my eyelashes”

In this book, Laura explores the labels she has been assigned by birth, by others and those she chose herself. It’s a powerful, soul-baring book by a trans autistic woman who has struggled with a lack of belonging (of “fitting in”) for as long as she can remember. It’s deep, it’s moving, and actually I learned a lot from reading this book. I’m sure that hers is a st
Robyn Elliott
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, heartfelt memoir. Filled with the pain and joy of a unique voice that is too often not heard from in media, Uncomfortable Labels gave me equal parts comfort to have a voice similar to my own shouting out into the world and sorrow at events all too similar to my own. The book is only held back by some typos and a bit or two being repeated too often, but other than that, this book is marvelous and a must read.
Helen
Powerful, brutally honest, brave, authentic.
Dale has written an extremely important book that should be:
a) compulsory reading to everyone who would like to bring a little more humanity and compassion into the world; and
b) treated with the respect that its author deserves.

Thank you so much to Laura and NetGalley for sharing this book with us.
Lisa Keogh Finnegan
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I found some of this book difficult to follow, I guess because it’s coming from a perspective so different to my own, but loved being able to read Laura’s experience of growing up both Autistic and trans.
Thanks to Netgalley for the chance to read this.
Kayo
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really interesting. I learned a lot reading this book. Recommend highly for anyone in a tough situation such as this. Great read.

Thanks to author, publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got this book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Chris Marro
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this memoir, Laura Kate Dale discusses her life as a gay trans autistic woman. She does a fantastic job explaining to the reader how each of her identities has affected her life, and how the identities intersect and affect each other. It was an effective way to gain some insight into the thoughts and feelings of a person dealing with so many challenges presented to them by a society that often lacks care and understanding. Highly recommend.
Ana
Dec 23, 2018
Lara Lillibridge
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear, direct, and with an uncommon precision of language, Laura Kate Dale writes about her experience as a transgender autistic woman. She takes us from childhood through puberty and into adulthood, carefully explaining how it felt to wear both labels. Her willingness to share her struggles helped me deepen my understanding of friends and family members, and her citing of research will allow me to be a stronger advocate.

This book should be required reading for anyone who feels that they can't
Wendy   reed
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you for your honesty. I was so captivated by the author's candid honesty about the personal experience of the trials and tribulations that they went through. I was able to get a birds eye view of not only from the autistic perspective but from the transgender view as well.
You can't even imagine how tough it could be putting the two of those things together and attempting to survive in this messed up world. But how about in a different country? Does that make it any easier for someone?
Are t
Isabelle
(I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)
Ashtyn
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahh! This book was amazing and the way the author wrote this book was AMAZING. I was intrigued by her writing and everything about it. Thank you so much!
Jaime
Jan 23, 2019 marked it as tbr-owned
Shelves: arc
I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kate Church
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting story. I wish no one had to go through the bullying. But I would like to read more by this author.
Haley
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, kindle-read
Heartening, informative memoir about being both autistic and trans. Some trigger warnings for suicidal ideation, but highly recommend for anyone looking to be a better ally.
Emerald Stacy
Jan 20, 2019
Sydney
Jan 08, 2019
Michael Millward
Feb 11, 2019 added it
Recommends it for: anyone involved in diversity and inclusion work
I think it was the title of this book that drew me to it.

At work I have responsibility for improving inclusion and diversity, but am increasingly realising that the way forward will involve improving our understanding of what makes us all unique rather than on another policy or procedure.

You see we live in a world that increasingly encourages us to reveal our true self to families, work colleagues, everyone is wearing their heart on their sleeves. But unless everyone is playing the same game by
Elin