Start by marking “A Deceptive Devotion (Lane Winslow #6)” as Want to Read:
A Deceptive Devotion (Lane Winslow #6)

A Deceptive Devotion

(Lane Winslow #6)

Wedding bells, a grisly murder, and a defecting Russian spy bring drama to King's Cove in the newest Lane Winslow mystery, a series that the Globe and Mail calls "terrific."

A wedding is on the horizon for Lane Winslow and Inspector Darling. As one of the few Russian speakers in her community, Lane is obliged to act as translator and hostess for Countess Orlova, an elderly
Published April 23rd 2019 by Touchwood Editions

To ask other readers questions about A Deceptive Devotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deceptive Devotion

Anna Lee Huber
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic entry in the unique and compelling Lane Winslow series! Filled with intrigue, deception, twisted loyalties, and a touch of romance, readers will stand up and cheer.
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
This instalment and #4 (It Begins In Betrayal) (my introduction to this series) are by far my favourites. This one kept me wondering what was going to happen and kept me engaged the whole way along. My only complaint, it's a wee one, is that I find these a touch too drawn out and would like it if they wrapped up a little sooner. The people of King's Cove continue to delight me to no end!
Reading in the Rockies
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Deceptive Devotion ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 4/5

Another enjoyable read in the Lane Winslow series! By definition these are cozy mysteries, a genre I generally don't enjoy, but this series is delightful.

Lane Winslow is a young, ex-intelligence officer who has left London looking for a fresh start. She finds herself happily settled into a sleepy hamlet in the interior of British Columbia surrounded by a suitably eclectic cast of small-town characters.

Much like Louise Penny's Three Pines, King's Cove is riddled wit
Karen Parisot
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The sixth installment in the Lane Winslow mystery series. A former British spy, Lane Winslow only wants to retire to Canada and start anew, but her past doesn’t seem to want to let her go. The story grabs you on the first few pages when a hunter is murdered. As the police race to catch the killer, another drama is playing out with Lane and her unexpected house guest.
A charming story with an intelligent heroine and endearing supporting characters set in an idyllic community. I love the interperso
Patricia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thank Tori Elliott, Marketing and Publicity at Touchwood Editions for the ARC of "A DECEPTIVE DEVOTION," by Iona Whishaw, given via the Jan 4 Shelf Awareness Pro Newsletter. I was not familiar with the author, although this is number six in the series.

My attention was drawn in and held from the start and never let go. I knew I had to go back and read the whole series, but neither my county libraries nor the next county had them, so I sent for the first five and binge read the entire series be
Kristi | Hidden Staircase |
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How gorgeous is this cover?! I love the style and the colors they use for each book in the Lane Winslow series. This cover just makes me want to pick the book up and see what’s waiting for me inside. And the writing and story are just as fantastic as the cover.

First let’s start with the mystery – Lane Winslow has a lot going on in A Deceptive Devotion:
- A mysterious Russian countess shows up looking for her missing brother. As Inspector Darling tries to track down any leads, she stays with Lane;
Philip
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series and I think that in many ways this is the best book yet in the series. Although I am not usually a huge fan of spy thrillers and I’m very stingy with 5 star ratings I just liked so much about this story that I’ve awarded it one of those not allowed 4.5 stars because of one little nit pick that I’ll talk about later and rounded it up to 5. I still really haven’t figured out for sure just who all those double agents were working for but Lane and Darling and now Sergeant A ...more
Riley
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In A Deceptive Devotion, we get to know a little more about Lane’s spy experience during WWII. Her experience in almost becoming a double agent on the Russian side will explode into a very dangerous situation for the people of King’s Cove. Whishaw artfully throws in some WWII history and Russian culture while breaking down the details of the investigation of the murder of a local hunter.

At the same time, the elderly Countess Orlova shows up looking for her brother, which leads to another investi
Chyina Powell
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel gave me life!

Firstly, let me thank Iona Whishaw and Touchwood Editions for my ARC in exchange for an honest review. Now that that's over with, let me tell you just how much I enjoyed this novel.

Lane Winslow can never seem to break free of her past as a British spy during the war. Now, she has a Russian Countess staying in her guest room, a wedding to plan for and Inspector Darling finds yet another dead body near King's Cove. Let's not forget that Constable Ames is away at school, hi
Leigh
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy book birthday to A Deceptive Devotion, and thank you Touchwood Editions for the advance copy!

This is book 6 in the Lane Winslow cozy mystery series, and Kings Cove is once again host to a murder. Lane and Darling are trying to balance wedding planning with a criminal investigation, the resurgence of Lane’s British Intelligence secrets and a surprise Russian house guest.

This latest story ties back to the previous books quite nicely, with the return of a few familiar faces. Like the other
Annarella
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this series by chance and fell in love.
This book met all my expectations: it is engaging, entertaining and full of twists and turns.
It was great to meet again the cast of characters and was enthralled by the plot.
The mix of mystery, spy story, and romance is great.
I look forward to reading the next installment in this series.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Paul Juniper
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book with a happy ending, how unusual. Good character development I think. Just enough twists and turns to make it interesting. I’m looking forward to the next in the series
Dorothy Comfort
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed her latest book. A page turner that kept me up late at night.
Shoshana Frank
In 1947 Lane Winslow has retired to the Canadian countryside from the British intelligence service after the conclusion of World War II. Only her spying days may not be truly over, given the ramping up of the Cold War between the capitalist West and the communist East. In a time when it’s spy verses spy and anyone could be an informant or double agent, who do you trust? Plucky Lane Winslow stumbles into a murder investigation which results in her being unwittingly dragged back into the British s ...more
Dorothy Comfort
Beth
May 15, 2019
Virginia Campbell
Jan 18, 2019
Iona Whishaw has been a youth worker, social worker, teacher and an award winning High School Principal, who continued with her writing throughout her working life. Receiving her Masters in Creative writing from UBC, Iona has published short fiction, poetry, poetry translation and one children's book, Henry and the Cow Problem. The Lane Winslow mystery series is her first foray into adult fiction. ...more

Lane Winslow (6 books)
  • A Killer in King's Cove (Lane Winslow #1)
  • Death in a Darkening Mist (Lane Winslow #2)
  • An Old, Cold Grave (Lane Winslow #3)
  • It Begins In Betrayal (Lane Winslow #4)
  • A Sorrowful Sanctuary (Lane Winslow #5)