Start by marking “The Secret Of NIMH” as Want to Read:
The Secret Of NIMH

The Secret Of NIMH

A field mouse named Mrs. Brisby enlists the aid of a race of intelligent rats to save her home and her sick child.
Published 1982 by Golden Press(?)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Of NIMH, please sign up.
Faranae This is a comic book adaptation of the film adaptation of the original book. There's some changes from the original, including the addition of mystica…moreThis is a comic book adaptation of the film adaptation of the original book. There's some changes from the original, including the addition of mystical elements because they looked cool on screen. But they are otherwise the same plot and characters. (less)

Start your review of The Secret Of NIMH
Rebekah Franklin
This is the same book as Mrs Frisby and the rats of NIMH.
Brian
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young fans of the film
I remember getting this version of the story through a school book order. I also remember handling it often, to the point that it got into pretty rough shape and probably found its way to the garbage because of its condition. It borrowed illustrations almost entirely from the film, as many movie tie-in books will do, but that only enhanced my youthful experience of one of my favorite pieces of animation.

Because I remember it so fondly, if not with the critical eye of an adult, I have to rate it
Grandma's Girl
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this rat and chidren was living in this bottle and one of her childern was really sick and she tried to save her childern and she did .and the oldest son kinda got better.and that she meet this bird that was very cazy and she went to this old bird house and there was nothing but spider wabs and there and they tired eat her.and she was very scared.
✨ Gramy ✨
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book to my grandchildren. They didn't appreciate the story as much as I did from an adult point of view. ...more
Wendycarlson3
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Maybe because I saw the movie first, back in 6th grade. After I saw the movie I read the book and it gave more, better details so I really enjoyed it. Maybe I like it because Mrs. Brisby is so humble, yet becomes so heroic in the end, facing all her fears just to save her family. One of my all time favorites so I couldn't wait to share it with my kids, both of whom loved it also. ...more
Dani Cree
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this in Grade 3 with the rest of my class.
Only, I had it finished in 2 days, and they were working on it for nearly 2 months.
I thought this book was very interesting, and very compelling.
It was definitly a good choice for my Grade 3 peers and myself, it's probably a great choice for kids today.
Kennedy Teeslink
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Science fiction. Unexpected twists that keep the reader entertained and the characters are easy to fall in love with. The ending makes you want to read more.
Zala
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time.
Sophia
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Much more detailed and entertaining than the movie, but I'm glad I had the film to preface the visuals of the book. ...more
Patti Wilson
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Still a great story, even after the third read! But wrong author. I read the original by Robert C O’Brien. Don’t you hate that when other people try to take credit for your creations?
Sharon
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A book (and movie, if you're short on time or showing it to a class...) that is a must-read for everyone and an eye-opener regarding animal testing and animal abuse/extermination. The humanization of the characters really makes for a powerful story that leaves an impression! For a child, this book is actually pretty dark and serious--but it is a must-read all the same! ...more
Barbara
Read the original Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien as a kid and again as an adult with my kid. What really freaked me out was that there really was/is a National Institute of Mental Health. ...more
Annalise
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite childhood books. Great having a single Mother as an important character - goes against the usual killing off the mother trope of many stories (which I loved about the movie too). Mrs. Brisby has always been one of my favourite book characters too.
Matthew John
Nov 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
My favorite childhood book, which probably explains why I have no particular aversion to rodents.
Annie
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolute fav as a kid
Noob2
Apr 30, 2008 added it
i learned that there are places that test on animals for medicnes
Pam
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately this book did nothing for my extreme fear of all rodents but it did inspire imagination, emotion, fear and suspense in me as a child that was developing a love for books.
April
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
one of my favorites as a kid!
Natasha
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this book in ages and filling out all these reviews reminded me of this book. God how I'd cry. I might be time to read again.... ...more
Kelley
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I think I reread this book the most when I was growing up, it is one of the most creative books I have ever read, and I just loved it, and I know it has been at least 15 years since I have read it.
Flannery
Dec 18, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mice-books
I like this book so far because Mrs.Frisby[the head of a family of field mice]they have to[for the winter]move into a winter home.After they moved in one of the children[name as Timothy]got very sik.
Knitography
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-faves
One of my all time favourite books when I was a child.
Blake Laughlin
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good I read this in the 6th grade!!!
Jo
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was the very forst book i remember reading...it started a very big paaion for sitting quietly and disappearing into worlds unknown.
Kathleen
These rats are nicer than NYC's rats. ...more
Kim
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A firm favorite of my childhood reading experience
Jordan
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this in third grade and remember liking it. It had nice character development, was interesting to me (at least at the time), and was somewhat involving for me as well.
Paul Courchene
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heroic single mom, awesome and noble warriors, resourceful and brilliant characters mixed with terrible injustices to make right, what's not to love? It's a great book! ...more
Kammie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Had fun reading this with my son. We watched the movie afterwards and agreed the book is better!
Julie
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book growing up, and then I loved it all over again when I read to my children.

• Racso and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH, #2)
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH, #1)
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • 1984
  • The Best School Year Ever (The Herdmans #2)
  • The Cricket in Times Square (Chester Cricket and His Friends, #1)
  • I Am Legend
  • The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs
  • The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1)
  • The Hobbit: Graphic Novel
  • The Vampire Bunny (Bunnicula and Friends, #1)
  • Paul Bunyan, a Tall Tale
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
Seymour Victory Reit was the author of over 80 children's books as well as several works for adults. Reit was the creator, with cartoonist Joe Oriolo, of the character Casper the Friendly Ghost. ...more