Start by marking “Rumors of War (Children of the Promise - Vol 1) (1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rumors of War (Childre...

Dean Hughes

Rumors of War (Children of the Promise - Vol 1) (Children of the Promise #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  10,148 Ratings  ·  875 Reviews

The elders could see nothing but smoke until they turned the corner onto the
street where the fire was.  And then, both of them stopped.  "The
synagogue!" Elder Thomas said.  It had never occurred to him that anyone -
even the Nazis - would do such a thing.

Elder Thomas got his camera out.  He snapped the shot but then heard
someone say, in German, "What are you doing there

Audiocd, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1997 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Rumors of War (Children of the Promise - Vol 1), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumors of War (Children of the Promise - Vol 1)

Terrie
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LDS or history lovers.
Let me start by saying that I HATE LDS fiction because it follows the formula of member meets non-member,they fall in love, non- member joins the church. BORING!
BUT this series was nothing like that. The story takes place during WWII and starts out in Sugarhouse area of Salt Lake (where I grew up) with a typical LDS family whose dad is the Bishop. These are very real characters that I grew to love. I've said before I have only read 2 books in my life where I sobbed. I cried so hard reading these
Emily
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this whole series. As a person who is usally skeptical about any fiction published by LDS publishers, I expected to think it was dumb. It wasn't. I cried. It was a real book, not one written just to sell stuff to Mormons.

I actually had to read it. When I was at BYU I signed up for an LDS Literature class. My thought was: Really, how hard could reading a lot of Jack Weyland be? But you know what? That was a super awesome class! And we didn't even read 'Charly'.

The name 'LDS Lit' wasn't e
Emily
I am going to do a general review of all 5 books in this series. I loved them and really enjoy historical fiction. I loved how each character was developed and integrated into the story perfectly so as to include many of the different aspects and perspectives of a life-changing time in history. Two thumbs up to be sure.
Ingrid Lola
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in 8th grade, for a school project I had the chance to interview Dean Hughes about his research on World War II, and talk to him about his "Children of the Promise" series - which follows a Salt Lake family throughout the war, on the homefront and the battlefield - and his novel "Soldier Boys" about a Mormon kid's experience on Omaha Beach on D-Day.
Lisa
This is a review of the entire "Children of the Promise" series by Dean Hughes, including Rumors of War, Since You Went Away, Far From Home, When We Meet Again, and As Long As I Have You. I loved these books--the first (Rumors of War) took a few chapters to get me hooked and then I finished that one and read the rest eagerly--until I got to the last one (As Long As I Have You)--more about that later. These books will definitely appeal to LDS readers who enjoy historical fiction and wrestling wit ...more
Heather
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy a good historical fiction that helps you get to know characters and better understand what it might have been like to live through different events in world history. This is an interesting read just before America gets involved in World War II. It's interesting to learn from the perspective of those on all sides - a family in Salt Lake City, missionaries and converts in Germany, American military units in the Philippines, Japanese Americans living in Salt Lake, and even some General Auth ...more
Ashtynne Degroff
The plot for this story goes like this: Elder Thomas is currently on his mission in Germany. One day, Alex Thomas and his companion were out looking for people, who were interested in their church. They came across a particular apartment building on the street and they knocked on a particular door. Then, they met a family, who didn't really know anything about the church. There name was the Stoltz's. Back at Salt Lake City, Alex's brother Wally was on a date with his girlfriend and he was getti ...more
Melynna
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying two things:
1) I'm usually not a big fan of LDS fiction. It tends to be kinds dorky and a little too in-your-face spiritual. Not to mention badly written. But I liked this book. It wasn't like that at all.
2) I took a creative writing class from Dean Hughes, and he's totally and completely awesome. I'll try not to let that fact slant my review.

I really liked this novel. It has well developed characters and story line, and it's super clear that Hughes did his research (it's a
Mandy
Jun 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mandy by: Mom
Thought I'd give it a shot. My mom loves this series. We'll see...

Well, I did it. I'm not a super fan of the LDS fiction genre. It's generally super cheesy and unrealistic and preachy. But I love historical fiction, and Rumors of War delivered a great story. Set in the years leading up to World War II, the story details the lives of members of the fictional Thomas family. The tale switches from Alex, serving a mission in Germany, to Bobbi, engaged to the perfect man (according to her family, at
Shay
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have now read this book three times and it never gets old. I usually don't read a lot of LDS fiction novels because some of them can be so cheesy!! But The Children of the Promise series is definitely an exception. Yes, it has romance but it isn't overly done and it's all very well written. The characters remind me of people I know in my life and they're all extremely likeable...except for Kellerman of course...I love learning about history and reading this book helped me learn a lot about WWI ...more
Christina
The Thomas family is about to face WW2. Alex, a missionary in Germany, loves the German people. Bobbie breaks off her engagement and joins the military as a nurse. Wally chooses to join the Air Corps as an escape from responsibilities of life, and is captured as a POW.

The entire series is well researched and in depth. He does a good job of placing characters in many of the important events of the war (sometimes he's even a little too obvious about it). The characters are multi-faceted and develo
Cordell
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best book of the series, book 1. The whole series is Historical Fiction about an LDS (Mormon) Family. Vol 1 and 2 tell a story about this family during WWII, and tie it into the histroy of the LDS chuch. By book 3 the story has taken on its own life about seperation and love and longing and droped much of the historical fiction part. So if your reading to get LDS history that part kind of dies out but the story is still compelling and wonderful.
Rachel
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I waited so long to read this series. It's a great story that brings the events of WW2 to life. Books don't make me cry often but this one did. It's beautifully written and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Angela
I can't even count how many times I've read this series and I still love it every time. This time I listened to the audiobook and thought it was well done.Sad to discover that my other very favorite WWII historical fiction series isn't available on audiobook from the library anymore. :(
Camille
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This entire series (Children of the Promise) is about an LDS family alive during WWII. It was very captivating and I felt I was able to make a real connection with the characters in the story. Definitely a series I would recommend.
Kelsey
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I place Dean Hughes at the top of authors within the Latter-Day Saint community. His characters are believable and leave the reader craving to read more. Children of the Promise is his best work. I wasn't as thrilled by it's sequel series, Hearts of the Children.
Matt Sabey
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is great! I love hearing WWII from a mormon perspective. Not all Nazi's are evil, and not all Americans are good. This was a fun, compelling book. I looked forward to cleaning the house because I could listen to it as I cleaned.
Rebecca
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how much this series teaches about the history of World War II
Sara Pope
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart warming! You will fall in love with the characters, and won't be able to put this series down!
A
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
such an interesting perspective of WWII. i loved the intricacies from germany, the US, and the philipines all threaded together.
Kathryn Wilkes
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book. I loved The Work and the Glory adn this is the modern day version. I seriosuly have a new respect for the generation that lived through WW2. Very inspirational!
Tfish
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
November 2014- I had forgotten how much I like this series.
Jessie Lake
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
LOVE the whole series!
Susie Snowflake
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My interest in World War II has been growing over the last few years. I have always had a question about how the citizens of Germany could have ever allowed the atrocities to take place the way I assumed they did. I have learned a lot and have matured a bit in my thinking & even questions.

I believe that we would all do well to learn from some of the lessons from those who have gone before us. One of the lessons I have learned is that just because you know something or even believe that you
Emma B
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good. I loved how it had everyone point of view. It is so stressful that they are being torn apart as a family.
A Toothbrush
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I approached this novel enticed by the promise of it being an engaging World War II narrative. As a skeptic of LDS literature, let me just say that this book did nothing less than exceed all my expectations for a great work of not only historical fiction but LDS fiction as well. Hughes' voice is a refreshing addition to the LDS literary scene and should stand as an exemplary representative of what LDS authors should strive to achieve in their own literary pursuits.

Opening the novel, I was able t
Elaine
Action. Romance. Adventure. Control. It's all here. You want it. You got it. It's all here.

Rumors of War takes time to read. Not only because it contains many pages but because it is meaty and leaves a lot to chew on. I was aware of much of the brutality caused by the Nazis against the peoples, however, this book brings it to life.

War is imminent in Germany and the missionaries are trying to leave the country any way they can. It's not as easy as they suppose. One family is running for their li
Kathryn
I loved Wally's storyline and character the most. He is the only character I really found to be really likeable for me. Wally's entire family were very "holier than thou" to him. If I were Wally, I would have left much sooner. But my main problem with this book was that I really had a hard time with the way both the men in the book and the author treated the women in it.
I know that in that period it was not common for women to work and that the man was thought of as the head of the household, b
Patti
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Rumors of War” is historical fiction only by way of the characters. Otherwise the facts and actual happenings of WWII are absolutely true. What is unique about the story is that it is from the perspective of an LDS (Mormon) family that becomes completely involved during wartime. The Thomas family has several children some of whom are of age to serve missions, work, serve in the military, and fall in love.

Alex, the oldest is serving a mission in Germany when WWII breaks out and escalates to the
Kiley Baker
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rumors of War, by Dean Hughes, is a brilliantly written book that takes you back to see the struggles of a family in the middle of World War II. There are nine books total in the series, all of which continue through their life. Although the story might be fictional, the facts are not. Dean Hughes spent year upon year researching each and every fact for the book; anywhere from major bombings, to a snowstorm in the middle of December. Each fact is a real part of history and the author creatively ...more
  • So Great a Cause (The Work and the Glory #8)
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 1: Our Sacred Honor
  • From the End of Heaven (The Great and Terrible, #5)
  • 'Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel
6421982
Dean Hughes is the author of more than eighty books for young readers, including the popular sports series Angel Park All-Stars, the Scrappers series, the Nutty series, the widely acclaimed companion novels Family Pose and Team Picture, and Search and Destroy. Soldier Boys was selected for the 2001 New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age list. Dean Hughes and his wife, Kathleen, have three ...more
More about Dean Hughes...

Children of the Promise (5 books)
  • Since You Went Away (Children of the Promise, #2)
  • Far From Home (Children of the Promise, #3)
  • When We Meet Again (Children of the Promise, #4)
  • As Long As I Have You (Children of the Promise, #5)